Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: This Is Physically Hurting Me

• Start Topic

While Karen oversees an effort to jettison non-essential passenger items, Billie tries to teach an inattentive Ryan how to dock the ship. Matt learns of Judd's plan to make the "ultimate sacrifice" by returning to Earth. Meanwhile, the passengers suspect all is not as it seems with the journey.

Airing Sunday, March 8, 2020.

While Karen oversees an effort to jettison non-essential passenger items, Billie tries to teach an inattentive Ryan how to dock the ship. Matt learns of Judd's plan to make the "ultimate sacrifice" by returning to Earth. Meanwhile, the passengers suspect all is not as it seems with the journey.

Airing Sunday, March 8, 2020.

Do they even have writers on this show any more -- or is it all improv all the time now ?
Because that had to be THE stupidest half hour of TV I've ever seen.

Did someone in the writer's room think that VFX lady was comedy gold ?

How the hell did this get renewed ?

Plus, that's not how airlocks work.

How is the re-supply shuttle -- chock full of flavorings -- already in within spaced dead body distance from the Avenue 5 ?  In less than a day.

Why couldn't Judd, Matt, Karen and Iris all have been sent out the airlock ?  Screw it, just eject the whole crew into space and plow the ship into the sun.

• Love 4

I knew the kid in a coma would wake up once both parents got the big freeze.

The passengers are finally showing anxiety/fear/panic at their situation.  Everyone has been relatively calm about their situation.  Maybe humans develop an extreme ability to chill in the future?  Delayed for 3 years, or even 6mos?!?  Most people freak out if they have to wait behind 2 cars in a McDonalds drive thru line.

Why is the supply shuttle a 2-seater coupe? Wouldn’t Mission Control think it might be a good idea to send additional (non-actor)crew or at least a doctor along with assorted ‘flavorings’?  Just one one many many questions....

Despite this show being a bit of a literal shit show, my love for Hugh Laurie hasn’t diminished.  I am not going to miss Harris, but gotta say, I will miss Sarah* a bit.

* character Sarah, not actress Sarah

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Well, I certainly didn't expect multiple people to air lock themselves.  Especially Judd's arch nemesis.  We were just getting to know you!

Hugh Laurie taking off his toupee in front of everyone was a highlight for me.  It cracked me up because some of the questions I had about "why American accent" "why a wig" are being answered in the most ridiculous ways possible.

• LOL 2

They can send a shuttle to pick up the Jack Black/Vince Neil hybrid, but they can't send any sort of transport to pick up the passengers - or send a replacement ship pilot or real crew members? Plus, it appears to take very little time to reach the ship from earth.  

They sent the wrong people out into the airlock.  Do the writers hate the viewers?

• Love 2

How is the re-supply shuttle -- chock full of flavorings -- already in within spaced dead body distance from the Avenue 5 ?  In less than a day.

I don't get this either. If the ship is so far away it will take them 3 years to reach earth, how does a shuttle reach them in what seems like a matter of hours? 

The entire mission control part of the story back on earth just isn't working for me, as a whole. Then again very little about this show does.

• Love 2

I liked Sarah/Sarah.  Sorry to see her go.

Why are the recent departees not caught in the same "S-obit” around the ship as the earlier departees?

If the VFX rabble-rouser was so certain it was all a simulation, why wasn't she the first in line for the airlock?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Plus, that's not how airlocks work.

How do airlocks work?

12 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Well, I certainly didn't expect multiple people to air lock themselves.  Especially Judd's arch nemesis.  We were just getting to know you!

Same here.  I didn't expect anyone to go.  But, after the first one, I figured no way was anyone else ever going in there.

Have you ever heard of the "Darwin Awards"? Well, that airlock-parade is a prime example of how it got started in the first place.

11 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

They can send a shuttle to pick up the Jack Black/Vince Neil hybrid, but they can't send any sort of transport to pick up the passengers - or send a replacement ship pilot or real crew members? Plus, it appears to take very little time to reach the ship from earth.

Does Mission Control even know yet that the captain and the bridge crew are fake.  Maybe not, since Rav seemed OK trading places with Judd...that is, until the bodies started hitting the shuttle.

Holy shit that airlock scene was horrifying.

I would have just let them run all out. Solved the lawsuit though. 

I did like the quick shot of the captain yanking Billie in when the second wave of people pushed through. 

I assuming the shuttle can fly higher %c due to the lower mass. 

Avenue 5 is so big its got a gravity well and they needed still to slingshot around Titan. 

They did say they would have burned all the fuel to correct the 2 degree miss. 

It's thin, but they did say it on the show. They are playing fair with the viewers for me. 

51 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Holy shit that airlock scene was horrifying.

I would have just let them run all out. Solved the lawsuit though. 

Yeah.  It was a tad on the 😕😱.  Interesting how easy it is to work folks into an irrational frenzy; based on someone’s supposedly 'bit of knowledge' without a lick of proof that what being said is true.

Anyone ever notice how the security team just materializes out of nowhere.  They are never anywhere to be seen; yet when someone mentions security...there they are. 

I think they are robots.

51 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I assuming the shuttle can fly higher %c due to the lower mass. 

Avenue 5 is so big its got a gravity well and they needed still to slingshot around Titan. 

They did say they would have burned all the fuel to correct the 2 degree miss. 

It's thin, but they did say it on the show. They are playing fair with the viewers for me.

Thanks.

Since there seems to be a few questions about the nearness to Earth/shuttle delivery maneuver, it's good you put that out here.

I knew they (probably Billie) had given an explanation for the whole set-up; but I couldn't remember which episode(s); so couldn't go back and share.  

Anyway, despite much finger pointing, it appears that they do not just make things up as they go along...some things they make up beforehand.

I agree with missing Sarah - she was so much fun on the bridge, definitely the most enjoyable member of the 'bridge' crew. And I especially enjoyed her little, 'Actually, I've changed my mi---' as the airlock opened.

I can pretty much handwave all the science errors, because the show does make me giggle uncontrollably at times. All the bits with Ryan's 'hairpiece' for example...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PentaHookUp said:

How do airlocks work?

They generally pump all the air out of the airlock first before opening the external door, so as not to get explosive effects.  So it should have taken longer to cycle the airlock as everyone in the airlock slowly asphyxiated, and then froze AFTER the door opened.

But I suppose that wouldn't lead to 'hilarious' comedy.  #sarcasm

I'm not going to worry too much about airlock design on a future space cruise ship. The crew are actors. Judd probably wanted to have the airlock like that for all we know. You go that far, Matt probably shouldn't have the code and the captain shouldn't be the only person to dock. You'd think Joe would have a third person. 

• Love 1

Once upon a time Matt was just an annoyance. Now he is a menace; and not too bright if he thought shouting out that code was the way to discourage passengers from going into that airlock.

The way he was all balled up in the corner afterward reminded me of what Iris said about suicide, and all of them being willing to swear they didn't see it coming.

I would say that Matt would make a great candidate for the next airlock departure; but, I'd miss him too much.  Although...I can't see how he'll ever be able to get back that idiotically buoyant persona (his only endearing quality) after being the means for all those deaths.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:43 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

They generally pump all the air out of the airlock first before opening the external door, so as not to get explosive effects.  So it should have taken longer to cycle the airlock as everyone in the airlock slowly asphyxiated, and then froze AFTER the door opened.

But I suppose that wouldn't lead to 'hilarious' comedy.  #sarcasm

Thanks.

That's how it' done now.  But, maybe in 40 years they will have worked out that little "explosive effects" kink.  

Kind of wonder if watching the first up slowly asphyxiate and then freeze would have deterred anyone else from going in.

I'm not really laying it at Matt. No one was listening to the captain or Billie. Judd was all like "I don't know what's real." Matt didn't think they'd be stupid enough to do it. 

It's really on Judd. He literally owns the entire thing. 

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm not really laying it at Matt. No one was listening to the captain or Billie. Judd was all like "I don't know what's real." Matt didn't think they'd be stupid enough to do it. 

It's really on Judd. He literally owns the entire thing. 

Yeah.  But Matt is the one who gave up the code to open the door to the airlock.  Without that code, the disgruntled passengers would have been stymied.   

No code...No opened airlock door...No deaths.

It's all on Matt.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, Commando Cody said:

They sent the wrong people out into the airlock.  Do the writers hate the viewers?

My Airlock Priority List:

1. VFXette

2. Judd

3. Karen

4. The Astronaut

5. Frank

6. Mia and Doug (with their hands locked around each other's throat)

7. Collins (should have been him instead of Sarah/Sarah)

8.  Fake Comms Tech (whatever her name is)

9. TBA

10.TBA

Edited by PentaHookUp

Aren’t the “unhappy couple” there because of Rav? Maybe she’d rather be back at Mission Control. 

Also, what did Spike think he was doing with ship?!? If they were really on course, the last thing you’d want to do would be to adjust it and use fuel!

Also, it is utterly delightful whenever Hugh Laurie toggles accents in the middle of a scene. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

They could space that comedian guy, stop trying to flirt with Billie.

For me, his not being funny would be near the bottom of my Airlock Priority List.  I think I’d even put that “Green-Shirt” who would not let Former Fake Captain Ryan eat ahead of the comedian.

As for flirting with Billie, I don't know; that may not be a bad thing.  Billie looks as if she really could use some stress release.

21 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Also, what did Spike think he was doing with ship?!? If they were really on course, the last thing you’d want to do would be to adjust it and use fuel!

If that's the case, then it's probably good he couldn't do anything.  Because, if I remember correctly, Sarah/Sarah said that the Control (whatever it's called) at the Captain's station is just a prop that she moves around as needed. 

21 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Aren’t the “unhappy couple” there because of Rav? Maybe she’d rather be back at Mission Control.

Yeah.  Probably for Rav it's a case of "no good deed".

11 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I love that Avenue 5 has such a dim view of humanity.  Watching an idiot come up with a conspiracy theory, and then bigger idiots extrapolating on that theory, and then even bigger idiots self-destruct was like watching Fox News.

I was watching a movie the other night based on Jim Jones and the "Jonestown Incident”.  It appears human nature is what it is.  Be it 40ish years ago…now…40 years from now.

My favorite exchange of the episode is the one between Rav and the Pilot regarding the return trip to Earth on the two-seater Shuttle:

Rav:”I don’t wanna have to fight you for a place home.”

Pilot: “…OK, look.  I’m the pilot.  I’m going home whatever happens.  The passenger is either you or Mr. Judd; or both of you if one of you has eaten the other.”

------------

My favorite line of the episode is from Billie to Captain Clark as they try unsuccessfully to convince the passenger that they actually are in space:

Billie: “These people are so dumb.  I’m just hanging out with pigs and dolphins when we get back.”

Edited by PentaHookUp
  • Love 1