Type keyword(s) to search

CSI: NY - General Discussion

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I noticed all of the CSI shows have threads except this one (even Cyber!), so I figured what the hell...

Did no one watch this one? I figured someone had to as it lasted for 9 seasons! In any case, Netflix used to have it to stream, but it was taken off. Then it was on Amazon Prime Video - but now it isn't and you have to purchase it to view it.

And it also was on TNT ages ago and is gone.

Makes me wonder why this one never seemed to grain traction in syndication like the original and CSI: Miami did...

I liked Mac and Danny. And while I liked Stella, I liked Jo better, which is probably unpopular. (But that probably is because I always liked Sela Ward as an actress all the way back to her role as Teddy on Sisters.)

Anyone else watch this at some point?

I enjoyed the show for the first few seasons. I kind of drifted after season 5. I think the the entire story line with Mac with the "333" was stretched too far. Being Stella's boyfriend, who ended up being the brother of a case that Mac had years ago. He would have figured out what the numbers meant early on. Plus, the fact that he was able to learn SO MUCH about Mac's life from where he proposed to some of his first cases. Sorry, but with social media so small back then and certain records would never been available. That's when the show went off the rails for me. Plus, showed that Stella kept getting boyfriend who ALL had a secret agenda. I enjoyed Sela Ward's character, but they tried to make her too much like Kate from CSI original.

• Love 1

It's currently airing on IONPlus (all day every Thursday and Friday). I've tuned in a few times and can't really deal with the inanity, but I remember enjoying the eye candy of Carmine Giovinazzo and Eddie Cahill back in the day. This was the only version of CSI I ever watched.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

It's currently airing on IONPlus (all day every Thursday and Friday). I've tuned in a few times and can't really deal with the inanity, but I remember enjoying the eye candy of Carmine Giovinazzo and Eddie Cahill back in the day. This was the only version of CSI I ever watched.

Ah, that explains it. I get ION, but Spectrum - here anyway! - doesn't carry ION Plus.

The first few seasons were the best. I liked the darker tone of the series and most of the characters. I think I stopped watching in season 6, or around the time the show totally ruined Flack. Also, Lindsay and Danny had zero chemistry.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2020 at 1:41 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I noticed all of the CSI shows have threads except this one (even Cyber!), so I figured what the hell...

Did no one watch this one? I figured someone had to as it lasted for 9 seasons! In any case, Netflix used to have it to stream, but it was taken off. Then it was on Amazon Prime Video - but now it isn't and you have to purchase it to view it.

And it also was on TNT ages ago and is gone.

Makes me wonder why this one never seemed to grain traction in syndication like the original and CSI: Miami did...

I watched it and thought it was probably the best of the three from a quality standpoint. However it was the second spinoff which usually means less attention (see NCIS: New Orleans) and it wasn't as highly stylized and distinctive as the other two shows in the franchise (I don't care what you say or what threads exist there were only two other CSI shows) so it was bound to fade a bit faster. In some ways it was more of a traditional police procedural, probably because they thought television viewers were so familiar with the NYPD and how it works (fictionally) that they couldn't get away with as much.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:48 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Ah, that explains it. I get ION, but Spectrum - here anyway! - doesn't carry ION Plus.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:35 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

I get IONPlus on my sad little antenna TV that doesn't even have cable...

On 3/2/2020 at 12:31 AM, WendyCR72 said:

It's probably mostly an OTA channel, is my guess!

Yep. A digital subchannel. Which Spectrum doesn't seem to carry unless they are from one of the major network affiliates (or PBS). Not sure if it is because the big station groups make some sort of financial deal or because that most of those subchannels seem to be retro networks which are actually fairly popular with viewers.

• Love 2

I started watching the show in the 7th season but did catch them on reruns when it was on TNT. I don't understand why this show doesn't get much traction either. 

I adore Gary Sinise and he was the reason I watched it. 

I did a search for CSI on Specturm and it shows none at all. Maybe for my area, I think. I do have all 9 seasons on DVD. 

• Love 1
On 3/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, wknt3 said:

I watched it and thought it was probably the best of the three from a quality standpoint. However it was the second spinoff which usually means less attention (see NCIS: New Orleans) and it wasn't as highly stylized and distinctive as the other two shows in the franchise (I don't care what you say or what threads exist there were only two other CSI shows) so it was bound to fade a bit faster. In some ways it was more of a traditional police procedural, probably because they thought television viewers were so familiar with the NYPD and how it works (fictionally) that they couldn't get away with as much.

The thing is we have seen so much of the NYPD in fiction, compared to a non existent Las Vegas (no Metropolitan on CSI)  Police Department. I cringed every time that I saw a CSI and not a CSU windbreaker.

I remember at the time before CSI NY there were rumors/article? about the new CSI either being in NY or New Orleans.  And I was very disappointed when they went with NY since there was/are already SO many law enforcement shows set in NY.  It's not that I didn't think I'd like it, it just felt so done already.  I did watch, and enjoy, for the most part, of course.  I just would have decided different.  They obviously never gave up on the NO locale, since that did come out a few years later.  But I just never liked it as much. 

• Like 1

My guess is, between the three Law & Order shows (counting only the successful ones as there were a few more!), maybe the CSI crew took stock of the possible tax breaks and/or incentives that Dick Wolf received from the state and that sealed the decision between New York and New Orleans. (I would add Blue Bloods, but that came later on, well after this show had begun.)

And, not to be morbid, but considering the show started just 11 months before Katrina hit, that may have been the wiser decision at the time, considering some areas of NOLA still never really recovered because of that.

There's a CBSJustice channel available from my service provider and they've been showing CSI NY at the weekends, 3 eps each on Saturday and Sunday mornings.  So I've been doing a bit of catching up.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it on its first run. 

Flack is just so deliciously snarky almost every time he's on screen (and very very easy on the eyes 😉

The down side is that because of early hour they're showing it, they seem to be cutting out a lot of the more graphic/bloody imagery, but if I'm that keen to see it, I'm sure I could dig out the DVDs that are somewhere in my apartment!

CSI NY is available in full on Paramount Plus. I got sucked back into it when it started airing on Court TV Mystery.  I really get sucked in to this show. I adore Gary Sinise and find Sela Ward really added to the chemistry.

I thought the grittiness of the first seasons put me off it as it seemed depressing but I will gladly take it over CSI Miami. The original became unwatchable once Grissom left.

My favorite episode,although completely unrealistic, is the murder house one...

Glad to find this forum. Yes, Flack is eye candy but for me, so is Gary Sinise. He was all kinds of hot in the original The Stand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

All of the CSIs are on Pluto, I finally figured out the rotation. 16 hours of NY starting at 2AM CST, 8 hours CSI, starting at 6 PM CST, 16 hours of Miami, starting at 2 AM CST, 8 hours CSI, starting at 6 PM CST. Rinse and repeat. For NY, it's all of the series, for Miami, I have no idea, didn't watch it originally, don't watch it now, for Vegas, it's season one through five. It ends with Warrick's murder. Even though I prefer Grissom, I wish they would show more than those five seasons, I think he was on longer than that. I binged on NY and Vegas for a while, but I only watch now when there's nothing else I want to watch.

• Useful 1

CSI: NY is now airing on Charge!, weekdays from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. ET, so three-hour blocks, Monday through Friday. If interested, check your listings to see if your provider carries the channel.

• Like 2