Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: The Last Little Thing

As Ali begins chemotherapy, Miles is determined to convince Anna, a young woman also diagnosed with cancer, that there is more to live for than just completing her bucket list; Miles, Rakesh and Cara venture into an underground poker game.

Original air date: March 1, 2020

Great but sad episode.....and I love Ray...Glad he came back for a bit..

I also found it fascinating that they would film at the top of One World Trade  and then only film the outer edges of the 9/11 memorial. It shows a deep sense of respect for the area.

• Love 5

"It's never too late to find the faith we've lost."  Huh?  She would have missed out if she had not acted the very day she did.  The other piece, related to Miles?  Did he ever actually have faith, or one beyond a child's faith?

The one thing TPTB have been excellent at preserving is Miles' antagonism for God and faith.  This ep really worked in this aspect.  He absolutely refuses to see.  God bless him for it.

I was bound and determined to not nitpick this ep.  I was just going to experience it as a pleasant diversion.  Then they went and tried to retcon the cause of the breakup: The GA ordered Miles to drop Cara?!   I can see where Cara might have convinced herself of this.  It would be entirely within her weak character.  Yet, It sure smells like a big fat, TPTB rat to me.

On the plus side, this may have been the most God-centric ep of the season.  The more Miles and Cara tried to ascribe the happenings to the GA, the results belied their (lack of) "faith."

I am grateful that this ep is bound to trigger many personal inventories.  I am certain some genuine good will come to many folks who undertake such.

• Love 5
(edited)

In general, I thought this was the most mature and well handled episode so far this season.  It ranked far above the rest that way.  Plus it's always good to see Ray again.  I like how they're making Miles' lack of faith an issue for the show to explore and challenge.  I'm personally hoping that he has an epiphany that restores it one day, which will probably not be so soon, though. 

I'm with you, @Lonesome Rhodes on the weak attempt to retcon the cause of Miles and Cara's breakup being a TPTB thing.  Although Cara convincing herself that the GA ordered Miles to give her up is nothing new.  She was doing that right from the start this season.  That makes me think the future holds an episode where Miles (or someone) has to make Cara face whatever it is that's making her find excuses to sabotage that relationship.  Perhaps a previous relationship disappointment or trauma?  Although I don't think she'll face whatever it is in the near future if TPTB have their way.  It's more their way to want to keep them apart for the drama factor.

Again they seem convinced that this new name is the person behind the GA.  Why do I doubt that will be the case?  TPTB aren't going to wrap that up so soon because it would give away the whole mystery of the show, and they're not done milking every last drop of plot value out of it yet.  Same is true for Miles' atheism and Cara's relationship sabotage.  If all of those things were resolved tomorrow, they'd have no more annoying plot lines left to pursue!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 5
(edited)

I was about to drop this show but this episode drew me back in. Very touching and poignant. I love how neither Dad nor Alie challenged Miles' atheism. Dad encouraged him to help Anna regain her faith without going any further. And Alie pointing out that Miles has his own kind of faith (and that the other faith will be there if he needs it) and that he gives her just as much as Dad - that was extremely well written.

The actress playing Anna was fantastic, she and Micheal Brandon Hall hit each and every scene together out of the park.

Random notes: Great to see Ray. I always love to see 'old' friends but he's a particular favorite. Anna's blue and peach coat was the sartorial MVP of this episode.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6

I was so hoping that Anna would become Miles new love interest because I can't stand Cara and her dead eye stare look. She shows no emotion to me and I think she's a terrible actress for this show. They have no charisma together. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sadtvjunkie said:

I was so hoping that Anna would become Miles new love interest because I can't stand Cara and her dead eye stare look. She shows no emotion to me and I think she's a terrible actress for this show. They have no charisma together. 

Violett Beane may not be the best actress but she and Brandon Michael do have chemistry though.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, mommalib said:

Violett Beane may not be the best actress but she and Brandon Michael do have chemistry though.

I agree.  I think the way they're writing their relationship is killing any chemistry from showing through.

• Love 6

I liked this one, and as others have said, it was definitely one of the better ones this season, if not the best.

Miles was bummed because he thought he was supposed to help Anna find her faith again, which would lead to her changing her mind and getting treatment.  He did help Anna, just not in the way he thought he was supposed to.  Anna faced her death with her faith renewed, not fearing it, and on her terms.  Miles helped her get there.

The scene with Anna's roommate (?) was kinda weird.  Anna passed away that morning, but the roommate seemed a little sad, and nothing more.  I don't know; I thought maybe they could've made it look like she'd been crying or hadn't slept much, or mention that the paramedics just left, or something.  Instead it was basically "Oh you're Miles? Sorry, Anna died" and that was that.  It was plenty shocking as it was, and was obviously meant to be, but it still didn't seem to play out very well.

There was an early scene outdoors and Cara had her amazing red coat on.  Then a few minutes later, Miles is almost run over by Anna in a red coat.  Anna and Cara don't look that much alike, but the early vibe seemed to be that they had similar chemistry with Miles, and I was dreading the idea that she would be Cara's "replacement" while they continue keeping Miles and Cara apart.  Then that didn't turn out to be the case, and every time we saw Anna after that, she was wearing the blue-green coat.  We never saw her red coat again.  Still, Anna's red coat was not a coincidence or a mistake; nothing is on shows like this.  So why the seeming misdirection?  Or am I reading too much into it?

• Love 4

It was kind of weird that Anna was spending her last days alone until Miles showed up. Her family and all her friends on Facebook were like 'I'd really love to help you fulfill your dying wishes, but it's really getting busy at work right now. You know how that goes. But anyways hang in there and I’ll catch ya later… maybe…"

• Love 4

Another great episode with the case of the week I wasn't expecting Anna to die given how the show usually goes. But I liked that she went out on her terms.  Finishing off her bucket list, facing her greatest fears and facing the parents. I liked that Miles thought by doing that he'd convince her to go back to treatment. It makes sense that he'd think that's what he needed to do and that he didn't think he helped her when he did. I do wish she had her family and/or friends had been there helping with the bucket list too.

I like that Miles hasn't changed his opinion on God yet. I'm sure it'll happen. But I loved what Ali said to him. And she's right. He has faith in people. 

It was great seeing Ray again. I hate Cara claiming that the GA accounted broke them up. Still hate how stupid that storyline is. It really changed my opinion of Cara. Its too bad I really liked her in season one. 

• Love 6

I am so sad that Ana died, I liked her so much, and honestly, I would have totally been happy with her being Miles's new love interest, after this whole clusterfuck with Cara. Ana seemed like such a lovely, warm person, and with her questioning of faith and love of helping others, she and Miles would have made a great match. I did really love the whole main plot, and her last speech made me tear up right alongside Miles. I liked that it wasnt about her going through treatment again (especially being basically on deaths door) but finding closure, having a lot of great experiences, and finally going out on her own terms. I do wish that we had seen some friends and family helping her on her bucket list though. Even if they wanted her to keep getting treatment, I would think they would want to be with her. 

I am so happy to see Ray! I always love seeing old Friends Requests, and Ray is my favorite! I loved him playfully giving the gang a bit of shit for only calling him when they need something, he just always adds so much to every episode he appears in. 

Alright Cara, if thats how you want to remember your pointless break up with Miles, thats fine, but I was there too ok and thats not even close to how it went down! The GA didnt say that Miles had to be alone to help people, you pitched a big fit because your step dad got caught breaking the law and trying to flee the country and the GA called him on it! No one "made" you dump your wonderful boyfriend who loves you! She probably just knew she had to make that up because she knew that Ray would call her out on the bullshit that it clearly is!

The conversations about faith were really well done, and it really shows how much Miles and Arthur's relationship has grown. Arthur wondered if Miles was supposed to help Ana find her faith, and Miles understood that, and they just had a nice talk about faith while totally accepting their different thoughts on the matter. I think Ali nailed it when she said that Miles has faith in people.

• Love 6
On 3/2/2020 at 5:00 AM, sadtvjunkie said:

I agree with this entire post.  The way the show has been written with Cara not wanting to say ILY to Miles while he was comfortable declaring his love for her, it seems that the writers wanted us to believe that Miles loved Cara more than she loved him.   Now that they've broken up, we're supposed to believe that the break up is so hard for Cara, but I'm not buying it.  I agree that the writers seems to be retconning the reason for the break up.  For that reason, I'm not invested in the angst of their broken relationship.  Cara takes Miles for granted, and she's dead boring as well.  Miles can do better and deserves better. 

• Love 4

I think it's awful how we all used to love Cara but because the writers had to create relationship drama they turned her into someone most of us can't stand.  She and Miles had that certain "dynamic duo" chemistry that was TV gold and they went and squandered it on a tired old plot trick that backfired with the audience.  Now I don't think they'll ever be able to get it back even if they try.  No one will ever be able to trust her again even if she does come back to Miles.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/3/2020 at 4:31 PM, Rambler said:

It was kind of weird that Anna was spending her last days alone until Miles showed up. Her family and all her friends on Facebook were like 'I'd really love to help you fulfill your dying wishes, but it's really getting busy at work right now. You know how that goes. But anyways hang in there and I’ll catch ya later… maybe…"

Didn't she say something about how her friends and family were having a hard time with her decision not to go through treatment again, so having them participate in the bucket list seemed like too much to ask?  I can't remember exactly 

• Love 2

Despite my agreeing with all of you on the various nitpicks and problems of this show, I must add that I do really like the way all of the friend suggestions keep circling back, usually when you least expect them. On most every show, the patient/victim/client/whoever of the week is usually there for one episode, then you never see them again. It's good to get them back especially when you start to get invested in their personal story.

I also like the way they keep highlighting how we are all connected in a variety of ways, such as Anna turning out to be a former member of Harlem Episcopal. That's probably more true than we realize, except of course as IRL we don't have the resources of a TV show, most of us probably never get to realize the full extent of our six degrees of separation.

• Love 4