Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E16: Leave a Light On

• Start Topic

Thanks, Krista. I hated it. 

This is the first episode I’ve watched since the break, and it will be the last I think. 

When Izzie and Alex we’re together, it often seemed she was settling after Denny died. Now we’re supposed to believe they are each other’s happily ever after. 

And Jo. I don’t really care about the other characters’ reactions, but Jo. She’s been through enough. 

To close with “there’s just no good way to say goodbye” is almost like the writers admitting they suck.

Not sure how I feel about this...

Was that Justin doing the voiceover or just someone who sounds like him?

(How long is he suppose to have been gone? I've lost track.)

Those kids are adorable.

At least they didn't kill him off...

• Love 18
(edited)

I’m glad that Justin got to narrate his end story and I’m glad Alex isn’t dead. There’s a return window open.

Meredith and Richard-Alex is in Kansas, not Bora Bora. You can call, visit, FaceTime, Skype....!!

Clip shows just scream how great Grey’s was.

And if I were Jo, I would drop the Karev!!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 22

I'm glad he's not dead. For Alex at least it's a decently happy exit. A total character assassination and reverts him back to evil spawn but at least he's not dead.

Kids would be about the only thing to pull him away from Seattle. 

I'm choosing to see this as least a door open for Justin to come back. Killing Alex is great for the character but terrible for the actor. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m glad that Justin got to narrate his end story and I’m glad Alex isn’t dead. There’s a return window open.

Depends if that was actually Justin and if that was new dialogue that he recorded.

Because there were many times in the narration where it didn't sound like Justin at all, and I still haven't decided whether it was sloppy ADR from Justin or someone else recording his lines.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

That definitely was not him. I was thinking that the entire episode. What a mess. 

I wasn't sure...but I also have a clogged right ear that is ringing rather loudly so my hearing is a little messed up tonight.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't sure...but I also have a clogged right ear that is ringing rather loudly so my hearing is a little messed up tonight.

I shouldn't say definitely because I don't know for certain but it sounded off to me the entire episode, so I really don't think it was him. Hope you feel better! 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

I am pleasantly surprised.

Alex snooched in a cup for Izzie all those years ago and they now have twins (who are so adorable, btw!) and Izzex get their happy ending together. Alex is alive, he's a dad, he has a family... he's happy and I'm happy for him. And I like that Izzie continued her surgical career and is an oncologist. 

So much better than killing him off. It was good to hear Alex's voice reading those letters. I'm glad Justin was able to contribute to Alex's ending. 

Side bar: I laughed out loud at Alex leaving Jo his hospital shares. First they were Cristina's, who dumped them off to Alex, and now they're Jo's... the doctors who leave Seattle Grace Mercy Death really don't want anything to do with it when they're gone. lol 

I forgot about the hospital shares.  Lol 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I shouldn't say definitely because I don't know for certain but it sounded off to me the entire episode, so I really don't think it was him. Hope you feel better! 

Thanks! Hopefully another round of drops will clear it up.

• Love 4
Just now, LexieLily said:

We are supposed to believe that Alex and Izzie had been committing since Meredith's trial, which means they were communicating for months while Alex was still in town and during the time that Jo was in her inpatient treatment. After which Alex re-proposed to and re-committed to Jo. 

The trial was at the end of the first half of the season, and Alex's letter says he only contacted Izzie then regarding letters on Meredith's behalf. The Jo stuff happened over summer break and the very beginning of the season.

Just now, gail56 said:

They are going to pair Linc with Jo, aren't they. That's why they broke up him and Amelia.

Seeing as, as soon as Jo finished reading the letter that Link came by and they had flirty eyes for each other (stop SMILING AT JO'S PAIN, LINK), yeah, I'm 100% positive they're going that route.

• Love 19
(edited)

I don't believe for a moment that was Justin's voice because just like everything else about this episode it sounded wrong.. I don't understand how having him destroy his like is better than simply killing him letting Jo believe she was loved

Oh God if they put Linc with Jo poor Amelia is going back to Owen..

Edited by hcs
ETA
  • Love 12
(edited)
12 minutes ago, gail56 said:

They are going to pair Linc with Jo, aren't they. That's why they broke up him and Amelia.

Yes.

All I can think when Alex said he left Jo everything is that they didn’t even used to have food at their house. Then they sold all their wedding gifts for a TV.  So what did he leave her a lease, a hot pocket and  the hospital shares

Edited by dmc
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7

I’ve not really been a regular viewer in a long time and frankly every time I came back, it was for Alex and when I stopped it was because the show was shitting on or ignoring Alex.

I’m satisfied with this ending. Under the circumstances I don’t think they could have done better.  I want Alex happy. I don’t want him dead by suicide, murder, or accident. I don’t want him leaving for no good reason.  The twins tilted it enough for me that I understood the choice he made.

The letters made the timeline feel a bit wonky as if more time passed on Izzie’s farm than in Seattle.  They probably could have tilted it a bit more to staying for the kids and less that Alex and Izzie had already built or restarted a life together. 

But, the part of me that loved this show when it was about Mer, Christina, George, Izzy, and Alex loves this ending.  Loves it.  And I admit, that I adored Izzy and Alex as a couple against my will.  Mostly because of Alex because I had pre-conceived notions about Heigel from her Roswell days.

The part of me that has watched this show in the last couple years was scared shitless when every letter started that the next letter would reveal that Alex killed himself and Richard or someone would be left with the secret that all the other letters were lies.

• Love 18
26 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I would have preferred Alex having an accident and dying.

To hear that he's been communicating with Izzy for months, and leaves Jo for the woman who couldn't be bothered to tell him for 6 years that she implanted the embryos with his sperm, is a character death worse than actual dying.

The writer tried to make it about being around for your kids but it was a massive fail.

I quit watching this show a couple of years ago because I didn't like the people on it most of the time, and while I do understand that there were some limitations that the writers had to work with and I like to give some kind of leeway for that, this was...not great! 

And it doesn't even seem like an entirely happy ending for Alex and Izzy because they heavily leaned on him leaving and being with her for the kids (which, understandably they kind of had to do to make him not seem like a total asshole on the Seattle side of things), but yeah. I'm glad I wasn't invested. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, gail56 said:

7 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seeing as, as soon as Jo finished reading the letter that Link came by and they had flirty eyes for each other (stop SMILING AT JO'S PAIN, LINK), yeah, I'm 100% positive they're going that route.

I agree.  And this pretty much guarantees that Amelia’s baby is his. 

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

To hear that he's been communicating with Izzy for months, and leaves Jo for the woman who couldn't be bothered to tell him for 6 years that she implanted the embryos with his sperm, is a character death worse than actual dying.

The writer tried to make it about being around for your kids but it was a massive fail.

Yeah, like this new found re-kindling of a relationship is gonna supposedly make it...Not only did Izzy not tell him about his kids, but he's just picked up and left his life (and wife) for this crazy shit.  One's past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior, thus, either one of them could pack up and leave in the middle of the night.  Such Bullshit. 

Why couldn't they just made it clean like him dying in a plane / car / bus crash or something and couldn't identify him and that's why they haven't heard anything....Or, one of about 100 other scenarios I could come up with off the top of my head.  

• Love 9

I am one of the ones that used to watch the show religiously but Haven’t this season - because it should’ve finished seasons ago - But I’ve always been an Alex fan and I’ve been following to see Alex’s ending.. and I don’t know what I was expecting after the last few seasons but even this baffled me at how terrible it was.

There is no way, no WAY that the alex they have been developing for years would marry his wife (TWICE), support her through all her trauma, show for seasons how in love with her and committed to her he is, to just abandon her without a word and commit adultery with someone who left him 10 years ago - not only left him, but cheated on him with a fucking ghost, and left him with thousands of medical bills!!

The izzie/alex love story had its place in season 5, however for this to even be the credible exit they’re trying to sell viewers -  let’s not pretend alex was the great love of her life, when he was always a second choice to Denny. And this Storyline may have been somewhat feasible 7 years ago, but alex and jo have been together for SEVEN SEASONS. they built this fantastic relationship, Alex has never made any mention of Izzy for years and Alex’s last scene with Jo was getting married to her again..I mean, come on, it’s completely ridiculous !

And lastly, is anyone else questioning how utterly wrong the message they’re sending is that you can’t be a father and also hsve your own separate relationship??? How messed up is that?

hate this, hate everything about it and the writers should be completely embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for that utter nonsense. Alex and Jo deserved so much better. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
5 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I'm not mad at the show at all.

A lot complaints about what the show should have done involves the fucking over of a character and actress that didn't ask for any of this.

Or they could have killed him off...I don't know why anyone actively wants to see one of the OGs dies. I know the feeling is that it's better than him abandoning Jo and Meredith but it's a loss all the same.

We are losing Alex no matter what. It sucks no matter what way you slice it. They decided to just give Alex A happy ending. May not be the best for all involved but whatever. He didn't die. He didn't get eaten by wolves or whatever. I'm happy about that.

TV shows like this should never go on this long. People, at some point, will want to bail. Things like this are bound to happen. 

People may feel like Alex was always Izzie's number 2 but that's how I've always felt about Jo.

So, I totally believe he would give it go with Izzie if he could. I don't think she ever stopped being his number 1.

Damn, I was barely out of community college when the show started and my 20th high school reunion is this year. I feel old.

I can see this. 

• Love 5

Wait, Alex two-timed Jo?  With Izzie?  Who secretly had his twin babies?  And divorced and left Jo his hospital shares?  And traipsed off to Kansas???

That?  Is fucking HILARIOUS!!

tenor.gif?itemid=3602072

I mean, I never saw him evolve the way most seemed to.  He was always an asshole and a bully, and he beat an innocent man almost to death.  So, I guess this is as fitting an exit for his character as I could personally imagine.

giphy.gif

And now, Jo and Linc will hook up, annihilating any lingering feelings I had about not giving this trash up.

tenor.gif?itemid=4790043

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I haven’t even finished watching yet but as soon as he revealed Izzie & the kids in the first letter I wanted to throw the whole TV out but came here instead. I don’t know what would have been better but this was a character assassination - not because he left his friends and job but because he left his wife and did it in such an underhanded way. Him having conversations with Izzie for weeks and rekindling feelings for her is just wrong. If it was just about the kids Alex Karev would have talked to his wife face to face. 

• Love 21

IMHO, Justin Chambers should have given fans more dignity than to just up and leave the show without any warning....I guess he is fairly close to the type of person he plays as Alex!  

This kind of ending really sucks and is a smack in the face to the loyal GA fans.  And considering he was pretty much a "nobody" before GA, he should have had much more respect and appreciation for the show and the fan base.  Given that the creator and producers decided to keep him around for 16 seasons, he could have at least given them some notice so the show could have planned a real ending...One his character deserved (like season ending).  He's a POS. 

• Love 5