Type keyword(s) to search

Transplant - General Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

Question for Canadians: The woman with the child who had left an abusive marriage said she had just started a new job and the insurance hadn’t kicked in yet. Canada has national health care, right? Why wasn’t the kid’s dental care covered?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

At the time the episode was shot and even when it originally aired in Canada, the national health care didn't cover dental or pharmacare.* The insurance the mother was referring to that hadn't kicked in yet would be the additional insurance she gets from her workplace.

Things have changed since then and today the plot of the young boy not going to the dentist because it wasn't covered wouldn't work anymore as dental is in process of being added. I can't get into it more because of the no politics rule but you can do a search for dental care and pharmacare in Canada if you want to know exactly why.

*Actually it shouldn't have worked even at that time since the show is set in Ontario and the Healthy Smiles program would have covered the boy as his mother was a low income worker. But maybe she didn't know about it since her ex had money.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Is Novak hot for Mags, and that's why he harasses her?

No, I think he just enjoys putting Mags down in her perceived place.  Just like how he called Dr. Atwater "Wendy" at the morbidity and mortality review, that's Novak's way of making sure the people he sees as lesser know who's in charge.

Rania is still very much a non-entity to me and I need to see more of the character then her acting cutesy and happily being rescued by Bash after telling him she doesn't need him to save her.

I do like seeing June struggling between being a surgeon and having to use people skills to deal with the other residents.

• Love 4

This show has open captions when characters speak a language other than English. The letters are white, and show up OK if the background is dark, but on a light background they are not readable. I wish whoever makes these decisions would add black borders or a black stripe behind the letters.

ETA: Turning on closed captions does not help, because they do not appear when open captions are on.

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

S2E04: Contact

As Dr. Bishop faces challenges returing to work, Bashès loyalty is tested; Mags has a harrowing encounter with an aggressive patient.

Rania's arrival triggers unwanted memories for Bash; Mags can't win her new boss' approval.

A young boy with Sensory Processing Disorder is in a boating accident with his parents. Theo is trying to deal with the end of his marriage. Novak leaves back to ICU, both praising and threatening Bash as he goes.

Doesn’t seem like a good idea to take a kid with that type of disorder out boating. 
what exactly was the deal with the guy wanting invasive surgery instead of laparoscopic surgery? He just wanted attention from his sister? Time to call in Dr. Charles…Oops! Wrong show! 😉

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Note to TPTB re previews: No, we have not all been waiting for Bash and Maggie to make out.

In fact, one reason I like this show is that it has the best ratio of medicine to soap opera of the medical dramas I watch.  Wish they would keep it that way.

ETA: Does Bashir have friends?  If he is conflicted about his fiancee, I have not heard him mention it to anyone. (Theo might be the best candidate but he has too many problems of his own.)

Edited by Driad
  • Love 9

Bashir doesn't have much time to make friends between his hours at work and taking care of Amira. There is Khaled, his undocumented friend who helped him last season. Khaled does show up in the next episode. 

Theo seems to be Bash's closest friend at the hospital but there is a nice scene in a few episodes where the four of them (Bashir, Theo, June and Mags) all seem tp be enjoying a summer evening at Harbourfront.

15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

what exactly was the deal with the guy wanting invasive surgery instead of laparoscopic surgery? He just wanted attention from his sister? Time to call in Dr. Charles…Oops! Wrong show! 😉

Yes, he wanted his sister to take care of him so he opted for the more invasive surgery. (If this were another show, they would be hitting me over the head with the parallel to June.)

Transplant does have a psychiatrist who Bashir saw about his PTSD last season (mild spoken guy with glasses) who they call down for patients but they're subtle about it.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 9:11 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Note to TPTB re previews: No, we have not all been waiting for Bash and Maggie to make out.

It isn't so much that I'm waiting for Mags and Bash to make out, I just want acknowledgement that he does care for her and that Raina's being gone from his life for the past five years has affected him.

The best part of the episode?  Besides Mag's defending herself from her attacker? Bishop's shutting Novak's sense of entitlement down HARD!!  And I liked Bishop admitting that he was too hard on Novak and that old school style of teaching needs to go by the wayside..

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Wish the ratings were better than atrocious

They've given the show rather an impossible task in the new time slot. First paired with Weakest Link which is a completely different show, and then opposite the Oscars and the Grammys.

Here's an interview with Hamza Haq about the women in Bashir's life. Not spoilery at this point but it does give an insight into what the character is thinking.

Transplant's Hamza Haq on WhatRania's arrival means for Bashir

Edited by statsgirl
for some reason, I can't get rid of the spoiler box but it's empty
  • Love 1
On 4/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, DanaK said:

Finale June 19 https://tvline.com/2022/04/05/nbc-season-finale-dates-chicago-fire-this-is-us-svu/

Wish the ratings were better than atrocious

At least some good news -- https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/transplant-season-3-ctv-sphere-media-1235185758/ -- but whether NBC picks it up again is a different story.  I don't know why they decided to move it to Sunday night, it just gets lost there.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 4
On 3/29/2022 at 10:45 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Is Novak hot for Mags, and that's why he harasses her?

I think he just likes to torment her bc she's so nice.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, LittleIggy said:

Question for Canadians: The woman with the child who had left an abusive marriage said she had just started a new job and the insurance hadn’t kicked in yet. Canada has national health care, right? Why wasn’t the kid’s dental care covered?

Dental isn't covered under our health care. Only medical (minus prescriptions and other types of healthcare like any types vision care, paramedical services such as therapy, mental health services again such as therapy). 

Saw the final season episode. The cliff hanger is good but still upset that it's over till next season.

On a positive note, Transplant picked up a number of awards at the Canadian Screen Awards. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Since it has been renewed for S3, even if it won’t be on NBC (which I hope it will be), then hopefully one will be able to watch Transplant online.

That's the hope but CBC Gem appears to be restricted to Canada only (based on a conversation about a different Canadian show) -- I don't know if other streaming services will have Transplant.  Fingers crossed.

Transplant is a CTV show, not CBC so it should be available on streaming services.

It did do well at the Canadian Screen Awards  so maybe it will get  season 4 even without the NBC money.

The NBC/CTV medical drama Transplant was the big winner at the Canadian Screen Awards, picking up the best TV drama trophy Sunday night.

Transplant also earned the best drama actor crown for Hamza Haq and a best drama actress honor for Laurence Leboeuf.

Also best supporting drama actress for Ayisha Issa (June). Its the second Best Drama Actor for Haq (He also won it for season 1.) It also won Best Writing for the episode "Free For What" (ep 2.13),  Best Photography for "Guardrail" (ep 2.1), Best picture editing (drama) for "Contact" (ep 2.4)  and best casting fiction, so a pretty good haul of 8 wins .

S2:E5: Roads

Bash helps his undocumented friend Khaled apply for asylum

• Love 6

Just watched the episode from Sunday. Commercials promoting the episode kept spotlighting Mags and Bash having some kind of moment in the elevator but in the end, it was a big nothing. She leaned in but he rebuffed her. And that was that. At least that's what I saw. Did anybody see anything different? 

Not that I'm complaining...I like Mags and Bash but I don't want them together. I do wish we'd see her get more of a personal life. 

I feel bad for Theo and his wife already serving him with divorce papers. Ouch. Surprised to see him smoking though. Was that shown last season? 

• Love 3

Theo told Pip Jake that smoking is an infrequent and hidden vice. He's having a difficult time dealing with his wife wanting to divorce him.

43 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

She leaned in but he rebuffed her. And that was that. At least that's what I saw. Did anybody see anything different? 

Nope. NBC really like to push that (so far non-existent) ship.

I'm glad Bash rebuffed her. (No Grey's Anatomy this.) He is still committed to Rania but as he told Khalid, he wishes that they could still be the people that they were before his imprisonment.

We've already met Mags' sister.

Spoiler

She gets into a relationship and we find out how she got the name 'Mags'.

• Love 2

Yeah, the Mags/Bash scene was odd in that he understands her better then anyone else, but he's clearly committed to Rania, so he won't be cheating--go Bash :):)--but why is NBC acting like they're a "thing"?

Khalid just seems like such an idiot who keeps dragging Bash into his badly thought out schemes.,

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 4

I think Bash and Rania moved in together too soon. They haven’t seen each other in years and have both been through a lot. They may or may not be in love now. I don’t think either of them is doing anything wrong, they have just changed as people. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think Bash and Rania moved in together too soon.

Rania seems to think so too.

Bash wants to recreate what they had before the war from the outside in: moving Rania into his home, offering Rania a place to stay and having her there to help with Amira but he is emotionally distant. Rania also wants back what they had but she wants first the Bash she knew and only afterwards the structure of the family.

Amira is happy to have Rania back and living with them but she's finding the stress confusing. She wanted to talk to Theo but Bash is shutting all that down.

4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think either of them is doing anything wrong, they have just changed as people. 

I find it refreshing that neither is the bad guy. They're two people who are having trouble finding their way back to each other because they've been forced to change.

• Love 7
20 hours ago, statsgirl said:

S1Ep2: Liberty

@statsgirl I just wanted to say thanks for putting this "heading" post in.  It's nice to have on single thread forums so you know where discussion of a new episode starts, so you don't accidentally spoil yourself if you're behind. 

• Love 3
On 4/19/2022 at 12:04 AM, statsgirl said:

I kind of hope that's the last we see of Rania--she didn't really add anything to the show and she was non-existent as a character.  I do feel badly for Amira in that she wanted to talk to Theo because she trusts him and clearly needed someone to confide in but Bash put a stop tp that.  Damn same.

I like that Mags has man options but I don't know if I'm sold on the med student as a good boyfriend, but what do I know? :)

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 12:04 AM, statsgirl said:
On 4/18/2022 at 6:57 PM, Madding crowd said:

I think Bash and Rania moved in together too soon.

Wasn't Rania looking for an apartment a few episodes ago?

30 minutes ago, Driad said:

Wasn't Rania looking for an apartment a few episodes ago?

Yes she was. She had found a place, but Bash suggested that she move into their new apartment since then one she could afford was pretty basic. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, yourdreamer said:

Yes she was. She had found a place, but Bash suggested that she move into their new apartment since then one she could afford was pretty basic. 

It was several people -men and women - in one apartment, IIRC. 

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 12:59 PM, chaifan said:

@statsgirl I just wanted to say thanks for putting this "heading" post in.  It's nice to have on single thread forums so you know where discussion of a new episode starts, so you don't accidentally spoil yourself if you're behind. 

Thanks but I can't take credit, it was the clever people on the Murdoch Mysteries thread who came up with the idea.

1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I like that Mags has man options but I don't know if I'm sold on the med student as a good boyfriend, but what do I know? :)

Mags is out of his league right now, she's not only more senior, she's older, smarter and more of a go-getter. But good for her for exploring her options and not getting stuck on Bash.

• Love 1

I wish someone had some joy in their life. I understand this is a drama, but is there nothing they enjoy? Mags had lunch with her sister and might’ve smiled a couple of times, and Theo used to have his kids, but not much else. Mags definitely should not date that med student, though.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I wish someone had some joy in their life. I understand this is a drama, but is there nothing they enjoy? Mags had lunch with her sister and might’ve smiled a couple of times, and Theo used to have his kids, but not much else. Mags definitely should not date that med student, though.

I was just thinking the same thing. It would be nice to see a touch of humor or characters having a fun moment once in awhile.

• Love 3

No, asshole, it isn’t Bash’s fault that you were such a shitty, controlling father that your daughter didn’t want to interact with you. 🤦‍♀️  
Dr. Singh really threw June under the bus.  
Why do we have to wait almost a month for the next episode? 

• Love 7

The dad in this episode needs to get out of the deep well of denial he's steeped in.  HIs daughter has ALS and was so afraid of his boundary stomping controlling ways that she didn't tell him how ill she actually was--I loved it when she told him that his voice was always the loudest in the room--and now they're unable to make amends.  That is tragic but by no means is it the fault of Mags or Bash.

And what was June supposed to do with her obviously ill patient?  Send her home even though she couldn't keep any food down?  DAMN!!

• Love 4
(edited)

The Futon Critic is showing that NBC is moving the show to Saturdays starting with the 8th episode "Scars" on May 28 (and apparently they have skipped showing it most of May). And it appears its season finale on NBC won't be until July 16 instead of June 19 http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/transplant/listings/

I suspect that NBC will either cancel it altogether or move it over to their Peacock streaming service, which is its home for streaming, for the 3rd season

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 1

I just tremendously hope that they still show it somehow (since they had already announced a third season, although that does not always mean they stick with it).  I love the show, it’s relatively soap drama free compared to many other medical dramas I watch.  I enjoyed all of the actors, especially John Hannah (who I know mostly from the Mummy movies).

• Love 5

Theo, in the midst of a child custody case, is an idiot for hooking up with a woman he barely knows. To make it worse, she is the mother of a child who was a patient of his maybe an hour earlier. 🤦‍♀️

• Love 5

I'm glad my DVR caught this episode. I guess this show is on the decline if NBC is putting it on Saturday nights to die. If NBC decides to cancel, will we still be able to catch it on streaming from a Canadian site?

I still can't believe Mags is actually dating Theo's med student (can't think of his name right now) and seems to actually like him. I can't get over his big square-shaped head. Although after that conversation she had with her sister, at least they explained that when things are stressful or she is feeling rejected, she goes for a guy who clearly worships her. I think a lot of women can relate to this. I'm hoping this is a phase she gets out of quickly. He is really annoying. 

I thought Theo was a devout Christian. It's a little surprising that he would hook up with a random woman who is the mother of one of his patients. I get that he's down and lonely, but seems a little out of character. He doesn't seem like a random or one-night hookup type of guy. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

I thought Theo was a devout Christian. It's a little surprising that he would hook up with a random woman who is the mother of one of his patients. I get that he's down and lonely, but seems a little out of character. He doesn't seem like a random or one-night hookup type of guy. 

I think he was introduced as a Catholic which makes me wonder how religious his wife is that she's going so quickly for a divorce.

Theo seems to be going downhill, punching out locker doors, yelling at his student and moving out of his apartment.