Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: The L Word

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, For Cereals said:

Brandon is also a terrible communicator.  WTF does “pulling an attitude” mean?  (I mean, I know, but wrong argument.) He just needs to speak plainly (as does Zach) and say, “this week’s worth of food you’ve prepared is wonderful, how about you put the phone down.”  He can’t even make small talk

He shouldn't have to ask her to put her phone down and talk to him. She's just being rude and showing she does not want to talk to him.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

But he has talked about the job.  That he is going to make DOUBLE what he did when he signed up for the show.   Then he takes a different job and when questioned about that different job he gives a bunch of shady AF answers.   I would be willing to bet this "Director" job doesn't materialize either.

The entire situation is suspect.  Does Michael have a job AT ALL as of this point in the show? 

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

Some random thoughts about this episode -

Brandon and Taylor are both immature and bad at communicating. I've been defending Taylor up until this point because Brandon has been rude and pissy a number of times, and Taylor has been pretty angelic putting up with him. But it does seem like Taylor has been putting on a good front for the cameras/social media, and now she let the mask slip with that video she posted. I don't see how she can defend herself saying "It wasn't about Brandon, it had nothing to do with him" when obviously it did. I get that she's tired of his attitude but they need to have some baseline rules about what's acceptable.

Haha, I LOVED Zach's sister, Lisa. That was so awesome. I'll give Zach a couple of points for spending more time with Mindy. He's still terrible about communicating in any kind of straightforward way, but the whole face mask thing was pretty cute.

Michael and Meka - they seem stuck.  I don't know what the whole situation is with Michael's job. I will just say that I think he should have discussed it with her before declining it and moving on to a different one. That's a pretty big move to make without telling your spouse. However, Meka seems very joyless and determined to find fault with everything.

Katie and Derek - I'm not feeling a connection between these two any more. I think Katie has withdrawn, and Derek is putting his toes in to feel the water and neither one wants to go all in. I think Derek is more committed to it than Katie though, he is willing to try even if he's not feeling 100% toward her, and she doesn't want to commit until she knows he feels certain about her.

Jessica and Austin - they're cute, they're fun. I think they'll be fine. Jessica just needs to relax a little bit about him saying "I love you". They've only been together a few weeks. They seem the best about telling each other what they like/need/want. 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I have a confession, I find Derek as hot as a lot of you find Zach. If he looked at me with those big chocolate eyes and told me he would happily put me on his health insurance...I would swoon.

I'd like to know who finds Zach hot?

3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Are you referring to the mac n cheese, because that was all Derek. 

Btw, I think mac n cheese as a dinner (No vegetables, no protein) is so childish.

That looked like boxed Kraft Dinner - chemicals and carbs. I was shocked to see that coming from a self professed "foodie". And probably the worst meal a diabetic could eat.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Do we think Michael really got a Director job?

I did not know until this episode that Michael was in a Catholic School system.  In my area, Catholic schools have a different standard for employees than public schools.  So who knows what a Director really is, or how much a principal earns in a Catholic school.  I do question why someone in education would be on a show like this,  Go ask Amber. 

When Poser Schwartz was on they listed her name as Dr Pepper Schwartz, PhD. Conventionally one uses Doctor or PhD in a title, not both.  She does not want the MAFS universe to forget she has a Doctor of Philosophy, in Sociology, from Yale University.  Yale must be so very proud.

Edited by Liberty
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

Mindy really doesn't need to change anything about herself. Not her weight, not her teeth, not how she dresses. Nothing. Except for who she chooses to marry after Zach because this just isn't a match. Nothing wrong with her.

Well if we go by that logic, then she doesn't need to shower or brush her teeth either.  And forget combing her hair then.  Just be funky and be herself.

• Love 1

Recap of next week's episode (or as I call it: things go from bad to worse):

."Pastor Cal voice over: "Next week on Married at First Sight..."

Derek is wildly fanning the smoke detector with a pillow as it's beeping.

Katie (cooking eggs in a skillet): "We definitely need to take a cooking class." Derek is chopping something on the counter and laughs.

Cut to sign saying "Cookology". It's a cooking school and all the couples (except Taylor and Brandon) are there with an instructor. Instructor: "I can fix your broken sauces, okay? I can't fix your broken relationship." Everyone laughs. 

Cut to Jessica and Austin sitting on floor in living room. They have a "spin-the-wheel" thing on the coffee table. It's got things listed on it like "Take off an article of clothing", "Lap dance for 30 seconds", "Kiss your partner from neck to navel", "Wild Card", etc. 

Pastor Cal: "With less than 5 weeks to go until Decision Day.." (Jessica and Austin making out) "...our couples explore the values of trust and intimacy..." (Meka and Michael writing on separate notepads; Michael putting on a blindfold) "...within their marriage." (Katie and Derek playing Jenga on coffee table, Katie straddling Derek and kissing him).

Cut to Mindy straddling Zach. Dr. Viviana voice over: "Most of the times we touch when we're wanting to have sex..." Zach: "This is probably the closest that Mindy and I have ever been in this relationship thus far." Zach is rubbing Mindy's back, they're hugging, and he has a smile on his face. "I actually enjoyed that."

Back to Michael and Meka, Michael still wearing blindfold. They're sitting on the floor with a blanket spread out - it looks like there are candles, a plate of snacks, and some wine glasses. Meka ITM: "Seeing him be 100% honest makes me feel like 'Okay, well maybe I CAN trust him." 

Meka, reading card aloud to Michael: "Do you fully understand why it has been so hard for me to trust you?" Michael: "No." Meka looks a little mad.

Cut to M & M in a restaurant. Meka is angry. Meka: "You invited me to a yoga class, said that you were a yoga teacher, which turned out not to be true. I'm over you lying." Michael, raises eyebrows: "And I'm over you, so we're good." Meka: "Cool." Shrugs shoulders.

Cut to Katie and Derek, eating. Katie: "I might have given it up to you physically, on like, day three of the wedding, but like, don't get it twisted, Derek." Derek is kind of nodding his head and giving a little shrug. Katie: "I just don't want you to think that you got it." (Good grief, she's a bitch.)

Cut to Brandon and Taylor, in office, with Dr. Pepper. Dr. P.:" So where are we?" Brandon: "I'm done. She was trying to hurt me. I can't be with someone like that." Taylor is crying and wiping her eyes: "I just need to him to try - " Dr. P: "I know, I know." Taylor: "But I still, like, have some hope." Brandon: "This woman is not here to be married." Taylor has hands over face and is sobbing.

Edited by gingerandcloves
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
23 minutes ago, Liberty said:

I did not know until this episode that Michael was in a Catholic School system.  In my area, Catholic schools have a different standard for employees than public schools.  So who knows what a Director really is, or how much a principal earns in a Catholic school.  I do question why someone in education would be on a show like this,  Go ask Amber. 

I agree, why would anyone professional go on this show? 

I would like to know the whole scenario about this job offer. Did he really turn it down due to a change in the job description/pay or did they turn him down when they found out he was involved in this show or was it something else? I have some things I'm speculating about but they are purely speculation so I don't want to put them out there. And going by next week's preview, it doesn't look good for Michael. I'd love to know the truth about it.

• Love 8

Haven't read any of the posts yet for this episode but just had to come here and say that Michael really seems to be a shifty guy. Does anyone here believe anything that comes out of his mouth?  I don't believe for one second that he ever had that new principal job.  Not because I don't believe he is incapable of being a principal as he seems intelligent enough but because it happened during his honeymoon. The whole thing seemed very strange.  You know you are going to be on your honeymoon and yet you are in negotiations for a new position and are taking phone calls about a job offer while on said honeymoon?  I think it was just a way to puff himself up and look more successful than he really was, on camera. Does the show do no vetting at all? Just accept whatever the applicants say as gospel truth?  Next he tells Meka that he has decided the new position he was supposed to begin on that Monday was not really going to be a good fit but GOOD NEWS!  He's got a NEW JOB that he just so coincidentally starts that same Monday as well. What are the odds?  Meka was right to question him. In her TH's she even said the same thing more or less. How was it even possible for him to get a new director's job in such a short period of time, knowing that he was supposed to become the principal of that Catholic school on Monday?  When did he have time to interview?  She was right to give him the side eye.  

• Love 24
19 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Can’t stand Katie and her issue with Derek never having been in love before. I’d rather have someone fall in love with me for the first time than someone who falls in love at the drop of a hat. Katie ain’t all that. 

Right?? The guy is only 26 for chrissakes! Not like he's 50 and never been in love.  Girl gets on my last nerve. I always get the feeling she thinks she's hot stuff. Like she's more worldly, more sophisticated, more educated than Derek.  I also didn't like the way she spoke to her mother in the episode last week. Telling her she was offended by her mom's comments. Which happened to be truthful, by the way. 

I was enjoying Austin, he's looking more attractive as time goes on and has a nice personality. He was kind of sexy hitting those balls at the batting cages. 

So did Michael ever really have that new principle's position or did he make all of that up to sound more impressive? I can't figure out what's going on with him. 

Brandon and Taylor. They are both 'effed" up. She's shallow and he's a hot head trying to look better for the camera's but really he's seething inside. They are not fun to watch. 

Zach and his word salad. I'm loving the confused and WTF looks Mindy gives the camera's, though.  

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think the whole thing with the "L" word was producer instigated by having them answer those stupid "relationship" questions.  Geez Louise, this generation overcomplicates and overthinks EVERYTHING already, don't give them even MORE reasons to take a step back from each other and lose interest!  I truly think the show is sabotaging these relationships just for drama.  Speaking of the absence of the experts, why aren't we seeing them getting on Michael for his lack of communication, or Brandon for his bugging out yet again instead of facing Taylor head on?  Where are they when all this happens?  All Dr. Jessica can say to Taylor is "Well, I hope things can get back on track with y'all" instead of offering real help!  What charlatans and shills for the show they are!  Sometimes I think this show is intentionally abusive to these partners, especially the women.  Unless they just haven't shown us their meetings with the experts on this subject and instead have "treated" us to yet more tedious go-nowhere "word salad" relationship talk.  Anything to pad these shows out to 2 hours, huh?  Don't they realize the audience is getting tired of it?

You are right.  I think they know it and are doing a turn around.  Brandon admitting she’s on SM is telling.  The show is not fun anymore .. in fact, it’s annoying to say the least.  Too bad.  I’ve always looked forward to Wednesday nights and snarking.

• Love 5

The only thing that I really like and find thoroughly unproblematic on this show are the dogs. All such cuties. I spent most of my time during the Brandon & Taylor scenes waiting for her dog to make Brandon his bitch again. Derek uses his as a buffer between him and Mindy.

I'm mad at Taylor for posting the video simply due to the fact that I know Brandon is secretly pleased Taylor posted that video. It gives him a fast way out of the marriage. He probably thinks he looks less like a crazed jackass and more like a victimized mistreated spouse.  It is his get out of jail free card for his Panama behavior. 

Michael made a real public display on announcing his alleged promotion doubling his pay in front of all the couples on day 2 of the honeymoon, which I found weird at the time. It is a little hard to walk it back after such a sketchy explanation. Meka should've been a lawyer because she be putting his ass on the stand. 

I like Mindy but I do get a little irritated at how happy and joyfully giddy she gets at the scraps Zach throws her way. His calling to his dog to avoid answering a pointed question was just beyond the beyond.

Every person in a  conversation with Zach ends up with this expression on their face, even his own sister, who must of got the brains.

1477321451-confused-gif.gif

I hollered when Meka said Michael had "all my life I had to fight" feet.  Hollered even louder at the preview for next episode where Meka says Michael lied about being a yoga instructor. I believe Meka.

The talk of health insurance made me think of Tristan and scamming Mia and chuckle. In all seriousness, I don't think any of the couples should be doing that until after decision day, but I think it reflects well and shows that Derek is leaning toward commitment.  It is annoying how hung up she is on a 27 year man never being in love.

I think Katie is have huge buyers remorse and regrets giving it up so soon as she thinks it made her lose an upper hand and implies Derek doesn't have to work to win her over. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 15

Maybe Michael interviewed for both jobs at about the same time, he was offered both jobs, he initially accepted the first job, then changed his mind and accepted the other one?  I'm just grasping at straws here. 

What I do believe, however, is that he knew pretty soon after the wedding that he didn't want to be married to Meka and that's why he's being secretive.   I understand why Meka doesn't trust him, but I think she knows that he's out of the marriage. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

I agree, why would anyone professional go on this show? 

I would like to know the whole scenario about this job offer. Did he really turn it down due to a change in the job description/pay or did they turn him down when they found out he was involved in this show or was it something else? I have some things I'm speculating about but they are purely speculation so I don't want to put them out there. And going by next week's preview, it doesn't look good for Michael. I'd love to know the truth about it.

Speculate!! I want to know it you’re thinking what I’m thinking! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

. In all seriousness, I don't think any of the couples should be doing that until after decision day, but I think it reflects well and shows that Derek is leaning toward commitment.  It is annoying how hung up she is on a 27 year man never being in love.

I think Katie is have huge buyers remorse and regrets giving it up so soon as she thinks it made her lose an upper hand and implies Derek doesn't have to work to win her over. 

I'm actually surprised I'm the only one here that seems to think it's bullshit he's never fallen in love that that's his reality show hook line?  If I were with someone that never fell in love and dated someone for 2 years and still said that, I'd be pretty worried.  I'd be wondering if he could ever allow himself to be vulnerable or whether he is a player especially with him saying he's only broken hearts.  

Then in the talking heads, dude has some pretty strange ideas about love to me -- like there's only one person you should fall in love with, get married, have kids with.  That's Disney fairy tale shit.  Good for him for not conflating infatuation with love, but he dated someone for 2 years and didn't feel love?  I'm glad AF I didn't marry the first person I fell in love with.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I can’t believe some of these couples still have five weeks of this bullshit and the “experts” have already abandoned ship. 

Hey, the experts are a phone call away!

• LOL 4
4 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Jessica May be sweet , but the girl has Zero sex appeal . And that laugh 🥴

Sweet this week. 👍 

It was a relief that the editors did not put her insults to her husband in the show this week.

Had anyone else wondered if she was the kind of person who would undermine her own successful relationship, simply because of her self-perception?  Here she had a person making dinner for her, and all the editors let us see was 'it's edible'.

She was a much better spouse this episode than in previous episodes, actually likable because she found positive things about her husband. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Haha, typical.  He should have added “and I don’t know what the hell youre talking about anyhow.”   It has been my experience that most times, men hate confrontation, don’t get what we need or want and hate discussions about what’s bothering us.  Most are not too verbal.  That’s why Brandon took his food and went into another room, or else he would have needed an alkaseltzer.  Once, when I was mad at my husband, I said I wanted an apology.  He said “ I apologize “.  I said “for what”?.  He said “for whatever you are mad at”.  He didn’t even know.  That’s Brandon.  Lol

“Couples Couch”. The L word, on tonite for two hrs.  They are really pushing.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Speculate!! I want to know it you’re thinking what I’m thinking! 

I mean, I can tell you what my first thought was, but it probably doesn't apply to Michael's situation. My husband is Catholic and a musician and occasionally does gigs for pay at different churches. He got offered a permanent p/t position with one church which he accepted...BUT when it came down to actually signing on, there was a big-ass ol' list of items that he had to agree to, most of them pertaining to views on homosexuality, and how he had to affirm that marriage is only for heterosexuals and in no way can he condone or affirm any kind of same-sex relationships, blah blah blah. Which, I'm like, I know that the Catholic church's stance, but still, hell no would I sign something like that, at least not without striking out a bunch of items. 

So, that was my first thought, that maybe they presented Michael with a list of guidelines that he had to adhere to, and he thought better of it. But more likely, that there were some issues with Michael's background or resume, and he wasn't as qualified for the position as he said he was.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Liberty said:

She was a much better spouse this episode than in previous episodes, actually likable because she found positive things about her husband. 

Including Austin's butt while he was batting! I enjoyed that she said she found him sexy and was beaming watching him. They have been very chummy but not very romantic thus far. This was a nice change.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Jessica May be sweet , but the girl has Zero sex appeal . And that laugh 🥴

They are not a sexy couple. Like, physically they both look fine, but they're not sexy. I don't think Katie or Michael has sex appeal either.

9 minutes ago, Liberty said:

And see, I didn't see the part last week where she apparently shat all over the dinner Austin made, but there was a point this week where I thought, OK, she's a nurse manager so she's used to bossing people around at work (and good for her, get that bag), but she needs to turn that off at home. When they were getting ready to do the exercise she said something like "I'm gonna make you go first" in this tone that was like "I have a smile on my face but I am not joking." 

Re: Mindy's appearance, I'm with @Racj82 - she needs to find someone who likes how she looks. And real talk: Zach is putting zero effort into this. None. He doesn't dress up for her. He's in workout clothes every time they see each other. He doesn't even stay with her. Why should she put effort into her appearance for a man who told her on their wedding day (so ostensibly as done up as she will ever be), that he wasn't attracted to her? I know they're on TV* but she may not care much about that. (FWIW, I got the impression that Zach came over later at night so Mindy was dressed for bed, and she said when she met up with him at the park that she'd just come from the rink, where I assume she wears leggings to skate.) Mindy's whole attitude at this point, if she's going to stay the course for the 8 weeks (I would not), should be "I'm-a do me."

(*I just started watching Love is Blind, which is this show times ten and with cursing, and I found it interesting that on the first "dates" they all dress up and then when they started having second and third and so on, they start letting the dress slide. I assume they dress up for the camera and maybe they just start to care less as time goes on.)

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, so far that's working out great.

She's not in a retirement home. 

She's also not with someone that is attracted to her. There are plenty of men that would be. Just as she is.

....Which is why I said she needs to find someone that works for. Someone that gets her and accepts her as is. Because that's what everyone should be doing. The result of this for Mindy shouldn't be that she's a ugly woman not worthy of love until she's gains weight, changes her hair and veneers. It should be this guy wasn't the one for me. I have to find someone for me that is. There isn't much more to it. 

No one should be altering their selves to catch a man or woman. Doesn't mean it may be hard or harder to find someone as you are but make changes because that's what you want to do. Not for anyone else.

5 hours ago, ShowFan said:

I suspect that the Taylor post thing was staged. We all know they aren’t allowed to post during the filming or we’d be seeing a lot more of these videos 

She didn't give away anything about the show. It would only be that way in hindsight. No reason for it to be staged. 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 18
5 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

It was an exercise?  Here I thought they were making out on their own.  Mindy looked like she was in heaven.  He, had a weird smirk on his face.  Eyes open, hers closed.  What was expected with that?  That was bad.

It's that tantric yoga (I think) exercise where someone coaches you through a variety of sensual and erotic poses with the idea that you'll 1) get comfortable being physical with each other and/or 2) get horny enough to go home and fuck.

Meaning Zach will immediately block it from memory and Mindy will go back to the empty apartment and masturbate to the thought of Zach touching her lower back.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Can’t stand Katie and her issue with Derek never having been in love before. I’d rather have someone fall in love with me for the first time than someone who falls in love at the drop of a hat. Katie ain’t all that. 

3 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think she's miffed he hasn't said it to HER yet, she's wondering whether he has the capacity to be in love with anyone.  He told her that he dated someone for two years.  Two years is an awfully long time to date someone and still claim to have never been in love.  Then he tells her how he breaks hearts doncha know!  He hasn't had his heart broken.  

She hasn't said "I love you" to him yet either.  But she has felt love and knows she's capable of it.  She's wondering if he's capable of it or frankly just full of shit.  I'm thinking it's the latter.

Agreed! I understand both their points of view. Katie has been in love so she knows what a broken heart feels like, fears it and is going into self-preservation mode. Derek has no idea so he can be a bit cavalier, just go with the flow and trust the process. But they are smart and communicative with each other and I think they will be fine. Love is a choice and Derek hasn't chose it with anyone yet, which I think will be a lovely thing for Katie if he chooses her.

• Love 5

i developed a girl crush on Zach’s sister as soon as I saw her eyes glaze over while he was giving her the same word salad he is consistently doing with everyone else.

I'm loving whoever decided to come up with special background music to play every time Zatch starts spouting the word salad. Everyone knows Zatch is full of shit except for Zatch. He thinks he's deep.

I agree, the pants and tops have to go.  For a young woman, she is blah. When she gets dressed up and fixes her hair and makeup, she looks attractive.  She does tho, have to get rid of those front teeth.  It would make a world of difference, not for Zack, but anybody. She’s a lovely person and should put her best foot forward.  She’s on t.v. for goodness sakes.  That goes for Katy too.  She always looks messy.

Mindy isn't obligated to do anything to her teeth to meet some objective standard of female beauty. Perhaps when she unloads Zatch, she will find a man who isn't so shallow that he demands that his little lady get all dolled up every time he's around. 

Yes, these people are on tv... but they are also actual people, going to work, doing the laundry, living their actual lives. These people (at least, if you believe the ads) signed up for a show about marriage to a stranger. They didn't sign up to have to do their hair and makeup and wear nice clothes 24/7 to please their husbands or the viewing audience. I'm home tonight, eating dinner, doing laundry - wearing old comfy clothes and not a bit of makeup. That's reality. We can't simultaneously complain that this show is totally fake AND demand that the women dress themselves up for us - or their husbands.

Katie has diabetes.  Derek offered to put her on his health plan.  This leads me to believe that his plan is better than hers.  If that doesn’t say I am in it for the long haul, I don’t know what does.  However, she is still miffed because he hasn’t said “I love you!” Talk about immature.

Derek prefaced that comment by saying that Katie had said she was coming off her current insurance plan. I think that she just turned 26 and if I'm not mistaken, that's the maximum age that she could have remained on her parents' health insurance as a student. Still - it was a mature and responsible thing for Derek to do - to be sure that she can get on his plan. 

I have some recent experience with this. When I got married, I stayed on my employer's insurance plan. Several months later, we checked into putting me onto my husband's insurance. Turns out, you have to make that change within a certain window of being married (1 - 2 months - I can't remember). After that, I had to either have a change in insurance status (e.g. lose my job and insurance coverage) OR wait for the next open enrollment period, which is what I did. Between being a newlywed and having a change in status (reaching the age of ineligibility for coverage on her parents' plan) she should definitely be able to get on his insurance. She might want to educate herself on how long she can stay on it after they split though. You know, just in case.

• Love 12

I mean, I can tell you what my first thought was, but it probably doesn't apply to Michael's situation. My husband is Catholic and a musician and occasionally does gigs for pay at different churches. He got offered a permanent p/t position with one church which he accepted...BUT when it came down to actually signing on, there was a big-ass ol' list of items that he had to agree to, most of them pertaining to views on homosexuality, and how he had to affirm that marriage is only for heterosexuals and in no way can he condone or affirm any kind of same-sex relationships, blah blah blah. Which, I'm like, I know that the Catholic church's stance, but still, hell no would I sign something like that, at least not without striking out a bunch of items. 

That would actually make sense to me. 

She's not in a retirement home. 

But right now she might as well be.  😄

My mom has a ton of friends in the local retirement village and there's more action going on there than you might think. I hear all the hot gossip.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
55 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

Agreed! I understand both their points of view. Katie has been in love so she knows what a broken heart feels like, fears it and is going into self-preservation mode. Derek has no idea so he can be a bit cavalier, just go with the flow and trust the process. But they are smart and communicative with each other and I think they will be fine. Love is a choice and Derek hasn't chose it with anyone yet, which I think will be a lovely thing for Katie if he chooses her.

I actually think they are cute together and could work.  I like Katie.  I think she's got a great sense of humor, she's smart, and she doesn't seem like she'd put up with a bunch of bullshit.  I'm a little dubious about his claims of never having falling in love, but he does seem like a great guy.  

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

My mom has a ton of friends in the local retirement village and there's more action going on there than you might think. I hear all the hot gossip.

I have an acquaintance who is a gerontologist. The elderly be fuckin'.

33 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Yes, these people are on tv... but they are also actual people, going to work, doing the laundry, living their actual lives. These people (at least, if you believe the ads) signed up for a show about marriage to a stranger. They didn't sign up to have to do their hair and makeup and wear nice clothes 24/7 to please their husbands or the viewing audience. I'm home tonight, eating dinner, doing laundry - wearing old comfy clothes and not a bit of makeup. That's reality. We can't simultaneously complain that this show is totally fake AND demand that the women dress themselves up for us - or their husbands.

It's interesting that Mindy catches all the flak for dressing sloppily when I don't think many of the others dress particularly well. Jessica was in basic jeans and a t-shirt last episode.

Edited by Empress1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
31 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Mindy isn't obligated to do anything to her teeth to meet some objective standard of female beauty. Perhaps when she unloads Zatch, she will find a man who isn't so shallow that he demands that his little lady get all dolled up every time he's around. 

I totally agree.  Her teeth are actually really pretty.  Yes, they are big.  Yes, I know that is typically associated with being "horsey" but I think she's very pretty.   She may not be Zach's type, and that's okay too.  He's conventionally attractive and yet he wouldn't do anything for me.  But if I saw her walking down my street, I'd think she was lovely.

• Love 14

I must be addicted because the two hour format and 5 couples is a bit much to digest.

Katie and Derek

Actually I think they're doing better. Marriage isn't about falling in love, its about committing to love and making sure the person you are with is the kind of person you would want to spend your life with, make huge decisions, have children with. That's what I wish I had done...

Taylor and Brandon.

Stick a fork in it time. The damage done might not be irreparable had they already been in a committed marriage for a few years. Without that foundation its a lost cause. Either way these two are phonies through and through. I don't think either one possess a sincere bone om their bodies.

Mindy and Zach

Looks like Zach realizes how callous he is and decided to at least spend some time and have fun. I don't know if it was a complete surprise that he came over but it seems like she got dolled up for the cameo shots but really looked poor for Zach. Those pants she wore highlighted her worse feature, how thin she is. She doesn't have enough butt to fill them out. I have no hope for the couple but why not spend sometime together?

Jessica and Austin

I have the most hope for them. They have fun, they communicate, enjoy affection and desire to see each other. That will provide a foundation that can weather a few storms.

Meka and Michael,

Odd how they seem to be birds of a feather in that both view this experience from a lofty cerebral hemisphere. I don't think its real to them. In a sense they almost deserve each other. I see the grim reaper above this marriage.

Grim.JPG

• Love 6
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Right?? The guy is only 26 for chrissakes! Not like he's 50 and never been in love.  Girl gets on my last nerve. I always get the feeling she thinks she's hot stuff. Like she's more worldly, more sophisticated, more educated than Derek.  I also didn't like the way she spoke to her mother in the episode last week. Telling her she was offended by her mom's comments. Which happened to be truthful, by the way. 

Its a bit of gamesmanship we play in relationships I won't fall in love with you unless you fall in love with me because if I can't black mail you by breaking your heart then I won't let you black mail me. This all might be true but not the basis for a long term relationship. He hedged a bit and said he was emotionally involved so maybe there was more to it than he is letting on.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

It's that tantric yoga (I think) exercise where someone coaches you through a variety of sensual and erotic poses with the idea that you'll 1) get comfortable being physical with each other and/or 2) get horny enough to go home and fuck.

Meaning Zach will immediately block it from memory and Mindy will go back to the empty apartment and masturbate to the thought of Zach touching her lower back.

Thanks!  Mindy will take Door #2, and Zack will probably throw up.  Lol.

• LOL 2

OK I’m not sure if this has been answered on one of these threads or not, but I’m gonna ask anyway. I’ve been watching a Love is Blind on Netflix and of course I watch this show, and what I’m wondering is: how did these people apply for marriage certificates? Because I’ve been married before, and we both had to go down to the courthouse and show our state IDs. So on reality shows like Love is Blind and Married at a First Sight, do they get fake married first and then apply for the legal certificate?  I’m not gonna list any spoilers for the show on Netflix, but of course some couples got married and some didn’t. The ones that got married-wouldn’t they know before hand if they were following through because they would’ve had to apply at the county clerks office, right? I guess I’m not following how all of this works for it to be legally binding. Anyone have the 411 on that info?  If you really are marrying sight unseen, then you can’t have applied for a legal marriage certificate right? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, lizajane said:
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Are you referring to the mac n cheese, because that was all Derek. 

Btw, I think mac n cheese as a dinner (No vegetables, no protein) is so childish.

That looked like boxed Kraft Dinner - chemicals and carbs. I was shocked to see that coming from a self professed "foodie". And probably the worst meal a diabetic could eat.

The giant martini she had a lunch with her mother didn't do her any favors either.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Cammi said:

The ones that got married-wouldn’t they know before hand if they were following through because they would’ve had to apply at the county clerks office, right? I guess I’m not following how all of this works for it to be legally binding. Anyone have the 411 on that info?  If you really are marrying sight unseen, then you can’t have applied for a legal marriage certificate right? 

This explains it

https://screenrant.com/married-at-first-sight-rules-couples

After the civil wedding, a marriage license must be signed to ensure the legality of the union. The license, which contains a spouse’s vital information, must be signed immediately after the wedding ceremony.

Usually, a couple picks up the paperwork a week or two before the wedding ceremony, sign the document after the ceremony, and their officiant mails it the following week. At MAFS, the couple cannot pick up the paperwork earlier as it will show the name, age, address, and other key identifying data, killing the element of surprise on the wedding day. Immediately after the wedding, however, the couples can have access to the data via the license they sign.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

I am just now watching this episode, and if I hear the word "like" one more time my ears will start bleeding. Listening to Katie is completely unbearable. Taylor is almost as bad. Why can't these adults learn how to speak without sounding like 14-year-old Valley girls? (I'm from the Valley so I know whereof I speak.) I would prefer watching something with subtitles that cut out every other word, because every other word is "like." I actually, like, considered, like, not like watching this like show like anymore. Am I alone here? 😒

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Ginger said:

I am just now watching this episode, and if I hear the word "like" one more time my ears will start bleeding. Listening to Katie is completely unbearable. Taylor is almost as bad. Why can't these adults learn how to speak without sounding like 14-year-old Valley girls? (I'm from the Valley so I know whereof I speak.) I would prefer watching something with subtitles that cut out every other word, because every other word is "like." I actually, like, considered, like, not like watching this like show like anymore. Am I alone here? 😒

You are not. Hard to believe Katie is a professional anything. Meka also grates with her dis and dat. And it’s not just when she’s wearing the braces. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Retired at last said:

@Captain Asshat, I think the comment was referring to Mindy's very bad veneers. Many people think they are going to have prettier teeth, but they come out way too large and I refer to them as cow teeth. She could have smaller ones made. These are NOT her real teeth. Veneers are covers that go over the teeth.

She fooled me then. I thought they were her own?