Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: E ho’i na keiki oka uaua o na pali (Home Go the Very Tough Lads of the Hills)

• Start Topic

Five-0 investigates when a rancher is murdered after he uncovers human skeletons on his property where legend says that Civil War-era gold coins were buried. Also, Quinn’s former stepdaughter, Olivia (Siena Agudong), reaches out to her for help after her father doesn’t come home. Jimmy Buffett returns as Frank Bama.

Original Airdate: March 6, 2020

SOURCE: https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=54676

50 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Frank!!!!!!

At least we get to see Frank 1 more time. That’s always good, even though his part seems to have gotten smaller over the seasons (but I guess that’s because of Jimmy Buffett’s pretty extensive touring schedule more than anything else).

• Love 3

That epilogue sunset chat certainly felt like the cast knew that the end was near.

Now Steve under concussion protocol is riding the two horses back down the mountain. What happened to the 7 dead McCoy's horses?

• Love 3

At least we know Adam & Kono’s divorce is apparently official. Adam referred to “my ex-wife” in 1 of the scenes with Quinn while they were looking for her ex-husband.

I thought that “You’re gonna miss this...” from Steve to Danny was interesting too. I’m not sure if we’re supposed to take that as they knew at that point in filming, or if it wasn’t supposed to mean anything now but rather in the (probably not-too-distant) future. I mean, I’ve heard that nobody expected it would end this season; they supposedly already had hats made up commemorating Season 11. Plus, though there’s been lots of speculation that it’s over because Alex &/or Scott didn’t wanna sign new contracts for at least S11, we’ve never heard who or what was actually responsible for pulling the plug on the show now. It doesn’t seem like it was CBS—all their comments still referred to it being a hit show & a moneymaker for the network. It doesn’t really seem like it was Lenkov’s idea, as the Exec Producer/Creator, to end it either; & Alex’s statement didn’t point, really, to it beIng his decision... although he did that Australian newspaper interview where he said he’d be ready to leave after S8 because his body was so damaged from stunts he probably shouldn’t have done himself (this is S10); then he did another interview before S9, saying he’d used stem cell treatments & he felt his back could do another season (he did 2). Those interviews are all we have pointing to Alex (& probably Scott) leaving as why we now have just 2 new episodes left.

Oh, look it's a Black Swan (or a squirrel in Hawaii): an episode where the B-plot involving Adam is far less outrageous than the A-plot!

Impressive death-toll and plenty of something's-not-right-with-McGarrett hints - even without context those scenes were a bit depressing.

I was hoping we'd get to see Tani line-dancing. Junior's 'Who are you?' was definitely the highlight of the episode.

Oh, look - it's Pemberley Digital's Frank Churchill! Second time somebody from those productions shows up on H5-0, too bad they gave Stephen Chang just a part to deliver exposition.

• Love 2

Really these episodes in final season coming down to it are pretty boring. And really only good thing of this episode was Danny and Steve on horse back, looking at the sunset as well as hinting that will never see something like that again.

• Love 1

Okay, it got a bit confusing with the backstory of the original rancher with the gold coins, but I believe...his wife was killed by the neighbors. McGarrett said there were 2 different caliber bullets for the shots to her and him. So, overcome with grief, he digs a grave, climbs in with the gold and his dead wife, and kills himself. Who covered the grave in that case, and why would they leave the gold coins in it? It doesn't seem that there was a coffin, based on the photos, so it isn't as if he put the coins in, covered it with the coffin, jumped in with his dead wife and killed himself?

I can't figure out why the big focus on Quinn and Adam in this episode when there were only 3 shows left to sort everything out? Again, Kamekona is shown seated. I don't think he has walked all year long?

During the gunfight at the cabin, it seems Steve and Danny were in a big hurry to use up all of their ammunition. Of course, the plot called for it, and gave Steve the chance to be the hero. Regarding the chopper suggestion by Tani, I thought the helicopters would be equipped with infrared cameras so they could likely pick up the heat images of 7 men and horses...how about a drone which could fly ahead on the trail? Or, the military drone with the gattling guns from the season premier episode a few seasons back? Oh, that's right, Jerry flew that into the jet that was trying to take off from a downtown street.

Given the bloody bump on the back of Steve's head, couldn't he have gone on an ATV and had one of the very many HPD officers ride the horse back, or just let Danny ride alone with the other horse behind him? Or simply left the horses behind and send up the trailer to get them the following day? Again, the plot called for them to ride into the sunset together. The last time Steve admired a sunset was when Joe White was dying in his arms, so I still think the plot will call for Steve to leave to Joe White's ranch for retirement.

Lastly...Mrs. Wo Fat, are you still on the island? Or will she be the mysterious person who is trying to get Magnum and switch shows?

• Love 2

The sunset chat certainly made it seem like they knew the end was coming.  "How long have you been here, 10 years?"  "You're going to miss this when it's gone."  Sigh, I'm sad thinking about it.

I loved that they gave Quinn a backstory.  Had this show continued, I could see Quinn and Adam get together, although they have her all flirty with the guy from Magnum.  Sure, Quinn said she's not much of a sharer, but what shame is there to tell her new team that she was divorced?  

So the gold was never found.  What happened to the guy that they captured and tied to the tree?  Steve shot him as well?  Why?  Seemed like he would have been out of harm's way if he were up the hill.  Also, why zip tie him with his hands in front of him?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have them behind his back?

The cowboy Hawaiian descendant.  Strange seeing a half-Asian talking with a Southern accent, but I'm sure there's tons in the South and I just have never been around it much.  Although in this case, I feel like the actor was the one doing it and it didn't sound really authentic.

Thought we were going to get to see Tani and Junior line dancing...

• Love 3
5 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Sure, Quinn said she's not much of a sharer, but what shame is there to tell her new team that she was divorced?  

It made no sense when she said that even Steve didn’t know she was divorced.  Wouldn’t they do some kind of background check before hiring new team members?  If their magic computers can not only get DNA results, but DNA matches, in mere hours, surely it could do a basic background profile in seconds.  You know, in case a potential team member had debts, an arrest record, or spouse who is a mobster.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, greyhorse said:

So the gold was never found.  What happened to the guy that they captured and tied to the tree?  Steve shot him as well?  Why?  Seemed like he would have been out of harm's way if he were up the hill.  Also, why zip tie him with his hands in front of him?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have them behind his back?

I picked up on the front tie as Detective Williams put it on. Everytime a TV cop cuffs someone with their hands in front I go on alert.  They are about to cheat with an escape instead of making the bad guy Houdini 

16 hours ago, GustheCat said:

So, overcome with grief, he digs a grave, climbs in with the gold and his dead wife, and kills himself. Who covered the grave in that case, and why would they leave the gold coins in it?

This bugged me to no end.  Who actually buried them?

• Love 5
On 3/7/2020 at 1:48 AM, BW Manilowe said:

Plus, though there’s been lots of speculation that it’s over because Alex &/or Scott didn’t wanna sign new contracts for at least S11, we’ve never heard who or what was actually responsible for pulling the plug on the show now.

I heard it was Alex. He had a back injury from an early season and its taking its toll.

So, with the cancellation (not postponement) of the NCAA basketball tournaments, I wonder if CBS will treat us to 2 weeks of repeats before the finale? If so, my money for one of the episodes would be Joe White dying again because they have only shown that about 6 times (I am exaggerating).

Not sure this has been posted in another H50 topic, but, with the show wrapping up, it would be fun to have a listing of the communities favorite episodes? My top 2 would be the Chang Opana episode, just because it was fun to see fictional characters portray other fictional characters. And, the episode about the Japanese internment camp.

I'm enjoying watching Lou's wife (Michelle Hurd) on the  new Star Trek: Picard.  I always liked her here and in other roles, and this seems like a fun one for her.

• Love 1

Though it was hard to watch, I liked the episode where Wo Fat had kidnapped Steve and was messing with his head via the freaky white room, drugs, suggestion, and torture.  I liked Steve's fantasy where his dad didn't die and the world was great.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Just a suggestion to encourage more conversation - maybe have a thread on fave episodes/show moments. 

There’s already a thread for all episodes talk later in the topic.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:04 PM, greyhorse said:

The cowboy Hawaiian descendant.  Strange seeing a half-Asian talking with a Southern accent, but I'm sure there's tons in the South and I just have never been around it much.  Although in this case, I feel like the actor was the one doing it and it didn't sound really authentic.

I was watching that guy and thinking the accent was an interesting acting choice. He wears a cowboy hat to "remind" himself of his roots, even though he said the ranch hasn't been in his family in over a 100 years. And he talks with a (really bad) Southern accent even though the family ranch was in Hawaii not Texas, there's no indication that he's ever lived anywhere but Hawaii, and he's an accountant. The role should have been credited as, "Ho'okano descendant/Poser."