Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
JTMacc99

S11.E13: Pips & Bounce; Shake it Pup; Bala Bangles; Fur Oil

Recommended Posts

 

Quote

A product that adds a constant, comfortable resistance to workouts; a product that eliminates bland dog food; an event space that features an American family-favorite game; a multipurpose hair and skin-softening product; Maria Sharapova guest judges.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Dear Lord, Maria Sharapova sucks as a shark. And she has a candy company?! Sugarpova? An elite athlete eats candy? (I know she is retired now, but this was obviously filmed when she was still playing.)

Um, $46 for pubic hair oil. Who has that much money? And, just, why? They are making a body positive thing. Is there a lot of pubic hair shaming going on that I am not aware of?! 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Dear Lord, Maria Sharapova sucks as a shark. And she has a candy company?! Sugarpova? An elite athlete eats candy? (I know she is retired now, but this was obviously filmed when she was still playing.)

Um, $46 for pubic hair oil. Who has that much money? And, just, why? They are making a body positive thing. Is there a lot of pubic hair shaming going on that I am not aware of?! 

I dunno....the situation is a bit fuzzy! 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

The dog food seasoning thing was so fucking stupid. All the dogs I’ve had have gone completely crazy for regular dry kibble like it’s already the most wonderful tasting thing in the world. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t work out, but for those that do, I guess the resistant weights were the most sensible item in the tank.

 Pubic hair potions and lotions? Whaaa?  Are people (i.e.-women) really being judged or shamed over their choice to have or not have pubes? As far as I know most people in most daily routines are not disclosing their “choice” of pubic hair maintenance. Most of us are not looking around the office wondering what, if ANY conditioner Suzy in Payroll is slathering on her nether region.  This is one “under- represented market segment“ that doesn’t need to be raised (razored??) to anyone’s attention.

I don’t have a dog of my own, but the majority of the ones I have come to know via family & friends do not have such erudite pallets, nor have I heard of rampant ennui over their daily bowls of kibble.  Don’t a lot of dogs eat smelly slippers, trash and their own excrement???  Why would anyone spend $13 on seasoning for poop eating pets?

Ping pong is fun, but not sure those guys were ready to go National with franchises.

Maria did not come across as likable or being easy to work with.  But the woman is an amazing athlete and spokesperson, and she looks like she could kick any of those Sharks’ asses up, down and sideways.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

The dog food seasoning thing was so fucking stupid. All the dogs I’ve had have gone completely crazy for regular dry kibble like it’s already the most wonderful tasting thing in the world. 

As I have often heard on Dragon's Den (the Canadian version of ST), they were trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. 

As for the pubic hair stuff, it's true that this area can get irritated from various methods of maintenance, but you could simply use a product for sensitive skin that's formulated for the face instead which would be much cheaper.

They were all killing themselves to get a deal for those weights. I don't know, there's a big difference between holding a weight in your hand and wearing it around your wrist for many exercises. I also don't have a problem using my sand filled ankle weights at home which didn't cost anywhere near $50.

The ping pong thing was way too early. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Maria did not come across as likable or being easy to work with.

She has never had a reputation for being either of those things, no reason to change now.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think I watched this episode in like 7 minutes.... what's the product? Something useless/dumb? Fast forward to the next one. I don't think I watched enough to hear the guest shark speak....

Ankle weights? Already exist and don't need to be "fashionable." Dog seasoning- stupid. The ping pong this was okay, but not overly interesting to me and I never really care about the beauty products they bring on, nothing every seems all that revolutionary.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I love dogs like children.  However, I've never worried about the flavor of their food -- more the quality.   Moreover, all wet food and most dry food comes in different flavors (chicken, lamb, beef, etc.).  Then there are treats of all types in all flavors.  Cute concept but for a problem that doesn't exist. 

I think the producers put on the last vendor for the shock value alone.  The presenters really annoyed me and I'm not sure why. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I don’t have a dog of my own, but the majority of the ones I have come to know via family & friends do not have such erudite pallets, nor have I heard of rampant ennui over their daily bowls of kibble.  Don’t a lot of dogs eat smelly slippers, trash and their own excrement???  Why would anyone spend $13 on seasoning for poop eating pets?

There are a couple of reasons you might want to make your dog eat the food in front of him or her.

And before I go on, I've had both kinds of dogs. My lab was eat first, ask questions kind of guy. My current guy, a 10 month old golden will totally just walk away from his bowl sometimes. If the lab were still alive, he'd walk over and eat the puppy's bowl after he finished his own. The golden would absolutely eat a slipper before he ate his food. The lab would never eat a slipper (best dog ever.) BOTH would probably eat cat poop before kibble, however. Because they're gross.

Anyway, reasons someone would want to spend money on dog food seasoning:

  1. Depending on what kind of food you buy, it can be expensive. You're kind of thinking, "That bag of food cost me $50. Eat it."
  2. Getting the dog to eat the bowl of food at the same time every day helps greatly towards getting your dog to poop at the same time every day. For those of us who have to stand out in the cold or rain waiting for that event, you really want it to be delivered on schedule.
  3. In a multiple dog house such as my own, if they all eat on schedule, it cuts down on having to make sure one guy doesn't eat 2-3 times more than he should.

Having said all that, you know what makes a dog eat his bowl of kibble? Sprinkle some of that cheap grated Parmesan in a can on it. Dogs love cheese.

 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

With regard to the dog food flavoring.... you also don't want to start any bad habits.  Now, admittedly, this story is about a cat, but I can see something similar with any pet.  Shadow got sick and needed daily medicine.  My sister-in-law put his capsule in with some wet food, microwaved it and then stirred it all together.  Until the day he died, many years later, he would not eat cold food again.  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Over the weekend, the dog bakery in the town I just moved from posted on Facebook about how well some dog food toppers have been selling. I looked at the photo and they're called Basics Flavors Food Toppers. They come in multiple flavors and are sold by Chewy and Amazon, among others. My dog will eat anything we put in front of him, so I'm not interested, but it does indeed look as though someone else has the Shake It Pup "problem" solved already.

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

 

6 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

I think the producers put on the last vendor for the shock value alone.  The presenters really annoyed me and I'm not sure why. 

 

 

I agree. The lady to the left kept putting her hand on her hip like she was a model. That was odd looking and distracting.

  • Like 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2020 at 6:36 PM, aemom said:

The ping pong thing was way too early. 

Ping pong was a Thing over a decade ago in big cities. Susan Sarandon (yes, really) founded a chain of ping pong clubs/bars in NYC in 2009.

The "idea" on the show seemed a blatant ripoff, but I guess you can't patent playing ping pong in a bar anymore than you could playing pool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Kenz said:

I agree. The lady to the left kept putting her hand on her hip like she was a model. That was odd looking and distracting.

That was driving me crazy! What an odd stance for a business pitch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There is absolutely a demographic for Fur-- it's the "young, sex positive, but peer-pressured to fit in" demographic. Unfortunately, none of the sharks are likely to appeal to that demographic, and aside from bringing money to the table, I can't imagine any of them being helpful to that business. It was clear from Lori's commitment to giving money towards a "body positivity" charity (without being knowledgeable enough to name any examples) that she doesn't get it. It's not about being body positive in what she thinks that means. They'd be better off partnering with a young entrepreneurial celebrity who young women can relate to. This isn't a Bed, Bath and Beyond product line.

Edited by marny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2020 at 4:36 PM, aemom said:

As I have often heard on Dragon's Den (the Canadian version of ST), they were trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. 

That's pretty much the on-going theme of Shark Tank, too. It is all about picking investments in products that people really don't need, or convincing consumers to spend more money than they need to for the new and improved version of something that has existed forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, bilgistic said:

Ping pong was a Thing over a decade ago in big cities. Susan Sarandon (yes, really) founded a chain of ping pong clubs/bars in NYC in 2009.

The "idea" on the show seemed a blatant ripoff, but I guess you can't patent playing ping pong in a bar anymore than you could playing pool.

That was the first thing I thought of, and how the fad fizzled too.  I can't believe no one brought it up.  

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, BusyOctober said:

I guess the resistant weights were the most sensible item in the tank.

I checked on Amazon, there are a bunch of adjustable weights for less than $20, no reason to shell out $50, I don't think there's are fashion forward or anything.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just catching up on Shark Tank and I haven't watched the whole episode, but adjustable wrist weights exist already.  They just repackaged the wheel.

And Maria Sharapova in the first 5 minutes already irritates the shit out of me.

Edited by sasha206

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Cotypubby said:

The dog food seasoning thing was so fucking stupid. All the dogs I’ve had have gone completely crazy for regular dry kibble like it’s already the most wonderful tasting thing in the world. 

 

On 3/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, BusyOctober said:

I don’t work out, but for those that do, I guess the resistant weights were the most sensible item in the tank.

 Pubic hair potions and lotions? Whaaa?  Are people (i.e.-women) really being judged or shamed over their choice to have or not have pubes? As far as I know most people in most daily routines are not disclosing their “choice” of pubic hair maintenance. Most of us are not looking around the office wondering what, if ANY conditioner Suzy in Payroll is slathering on her nether region.  This is one “under- represented market segment“ that doesn’t need to be raised (razored??) to anyone’s attention.

I don’t have a dog of my own, but the majority of the ones I have come to know via family & friends do not have such erudite pallets, nor have I heard of rampant ennui over their daily bowls of kibble.  Don’t a lot of dogs eat smelly slippers, trash and their own excrement???  Why would anyone spend $13 on seasoning for poop eating pets?

Ping pong is fun, but not sure those guys were ready to go National with franchises.

Maria did not come across as likable or being easy to work with.  But the woman is an amazing athlete and spokesperson, and she looks like she could kick any of those Sharks’ asses up, down and sideways.

 

On 3/1/2020 at 6:36 PM, aemom said:

As I have often heard on Dragon's Den (the Canadian version of ST), they were trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. 

As for the pubic hair stuff, it's true that this area can get irritated from various methods of maintenance, but you could simply use a product for sensitive skin that's formulated for the face instead which would be much cheaper.

They were all killing themselves to get a deal for those weights. I don't know, there's a big difference between holding a weight in your hand and wearing it around your wrist for many exercises. I also don't have a problem using my sand filled ankle weights at home which didn't cost anywhere near $50.

The ping pong thing was way too early. 

 

On 3/2/2020 at 12:20 PM, JTMacc99 said:

There are a couple of reasons you might want to make your dog eat the food in front of him or her.

And before I go on, I've had both kinds of dogs. My lab was eat first, ask questions kind of guy. My current guy, a 10 month old golden will totally just walk away from his bowl sometimes. If the lab were still alive, he'd walk over and eat the puppy's bowl after he finished his own. The golden would absolutely eat a slipper before he ate his food. The lab would never eat a slipper (best dog ever.) BOTH would probably eat cat poop before kibble, however. Because they're gross.

Anyway, reasons someone would want to spend money on dog food seasoning:

  1. Depending on what kind of food you buy, it can be expensive. You're kind of thinking, "That bag of food cost me $50. Eat it."
  2. Getting the dog to eat the bowl of food at the same time every day helps greatly towards getting your dog to poop at the same time every day. For those of us who have to stand out in the cold or rain waiting for that event, you really want it to be delivered on schedule.
  3. In a multiple dog house such as my own, if they all eat on schedule, it cuts down on having to make sure one guy doesn't eat 2-3 times more than he should.

Having said all that, you know what makes a dog eat his bowl of kibble? Sprinkle some of that cheap grated Parmesan in a can on it. Dogs love cheese.

 

My dog has cancer.  Since she's been on her cancer meds her eating habits have changed DRASTICALLY.  We've tried literally EVERYTHING.  I've tried every kind of canned food, dog toppers, making my own dog food, EVERYTHING.  She will get really excited and eat whatever new thing I introduce to her for about a day or two and then she will sniff it and walk away.  It's much easier to get her to take her cancer meds (about 6 pills each meal) if I can get her to gobble it up with food rather than shoving them down her throat.   Also, my other dog- who has no health issues at all but is a total empath and will do whatever my other dog does (in this case- not eat her meals).  So, I did order this immediately when I saw it on the show.  I JUST got them today.  I am pretty excited to try them with their dinner.   The pack came with 5 or 6 flavors so I'm hoping that, as they get bored of a flavor, I can cycle to a new flavor and when I make it back to the one I originally started with it will feel "new" all over again.  Getting my dog to eat is imperative since the cancer is literally wasting her away and she needs all the calories we can get into her. 
 

ETA: I shook some of this on their food tonight, but I treated it like a condiment like salt, and only shook a little bit. I was disappointed when they did not show any interest and didn’t eat their food. Then I realized that I should just shake more and they ate it right up! I hope that this continues.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 3/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Kenz said:

 

I agree. The lady to the left kept putting her hand on her hip like she was a model. That was odd looking and distracting.

And she was posed that way throughout the entire pitch!  I was also distracted by her extremely unkempt hair and overly smoky eye.  Considering she was promoting a product that nourishes hair, hers looked like it was completely dried out.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size