Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

S05.E03: Free Will

The growing Regulator threat forces Jamie, Claire and Roger to embark on a mission to raise a militia.

Reminder: This is the No Book Talk topic. No discussion of the books is allowed including saying "in the books..." Posts may be removed without warning.

Probably a lot of viewers didn’t care for the episode because it was slow but I loved it. I thought it was sufficiently creepy and I always enjoy episodes with Claire’s healing. And, it didn’t center on Roger and Brianna! That’s always a plus for me. 

Fergus ran off with Claire’s penicillin progress notes! That can’t be good. 

• Like 8

This episode felt like a creepy horror movie. And like the typical girl in a horror movie, Claire decides that the best thing to do when she's in a creepy house of horrors is to go upstairs to see what fresh hell she can find. After she called Jamie upstairs, I was sure that Fanny was going to lock them both up there.

It was hard for me to feel bad for the unrepentant asshole who beat a boy deaf and murdered his first four wives so I guess Claire is a better person than I am.

• Like 5

This felt like one of those stand alone episodes that I will skip on rewatch. Well done, just didn't have all that much momentum for the core characters.  Maybe I was spoiled with the first two episodes of the season.

I did like the campfire scene with the group chatting reminded me of young Jamie and Claire out collecting rents in Scotland.

• Like 4

I have mixed feelings on this episode.

I liked that we had minimal Brianna, the everyday life scenes at Fraser's Ridge, and the creepy horror movie turn the episode took once things shifted to the Beardsleys. 

However the action got a bit ridiculous when the wife turns out to be pregnant, Claire delivers the baby, the kid turns out to be bi-racial and the wife bails. I know Fanny is a sturdy girl, but my lady parts hurt thinking about a woman fleeing one day after giving birth. 

As far as the husband, I'm not sure what Claire was planning to do with him? Who in town would've been willing to provide 24/7 care to a vegetable? Did they have formal hospitals in those areas back then? The whole time that drama was playing out I was thinking, "just dump some poison down the bastard's throat and call it a day." 

Overall I'd say it was a solid episode as long as you don't think too hard about some of the logic.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

As far as the husband, I'm not sure what Claire was planning to do with him? Who in town would've been willing to provide 24/7 care to a vegetable? Did they have formal hospitals in those areas back then? The whole time that drama was playing out I was thinking, "just dump some poison down the bastard's throat and call it a day." 

Or smother him. I was yelling at Jaime not  to waste gun powder on him. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Lol, I thought the same thing! 

I liked the creepy horror movie parts! I loved Jamie coming home to Claire, & Claire saying she was going along- just how it should be. Notes of earlier seasons there, in a good way!

It is so cute that Germain calls Jamie grand-pere.

We couldn’t understand a word anyone said around that campfire! 

Edited by Cdh20 · Reason: Adding thoughts
  • Like 2

Was I the only one who didn't realize the woman was pregnant until she went into labor?  I thought she was just fat. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Was I the only one who didn't realize the woman was pregnant until she went into labor?  I thought she was just fat. 

I didn't either. 

6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I think that was intentional. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

"just dump some poison down the bastard's throat and call it a day." 

lol Claire had no trouble administering a dose to Colum, who she cared for but she had doubts about this monster? Yeah, have to roll your eyes sometimes. Especially as others have said, as if anyone back then had the time to care for a stranger in that shape. Not to mention they were on a mission and didn’t have extra time to spare. Claire needs to sort out her priorities!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ferjy said:

lol Claire had no trouble administering a dose to Colum, who she cared for but she had doubts about this monster? Yeah, have to roll your eyes sometimes. Especially as others have said, as if anyone back then had the time to care for a stranger in that shape. Not to mention they were on a mission and didn’t have extra time to spare. Claire needs to sort out her priorities!

Colum did ask her to! And this turned out the same with Jamie asking Mr Beardsley what he wanted.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

Colum did ask her to! And this turned out the same with Jamie asking Mr Beardsley what he wanted.

Yes of course but if she was that true to the Hippocratic Oath, she wouldn’t have helped Colum. My point was that was a lot more difficult for her so in this circumstance she should have offed the old coot (Beardsley, not Colum 😀). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I know Fanny is a sturdy girl, but my lady parts hurt thinking about a woman fleeing one day after giving birth. 

On horseback no less!

• Laugh 4

6 hours ago, ferjy said:

Yes of course but if she was that true to the Hippocratic Oath, she wouldn’t have helped Colum. My point was that was a lot more difficult for her so in this circumstance she should have offed the old coot (Beardsley, not Colum 😀). 

She wasn’t a doctor when she helped Colum, so she hadn’t taken the Hippocratic Oath.

• Like 1

My hubby asked: "Is this the X files?"  I did like how Fanny did not try to cover up paternity:  "She ain't yours!!!"

I found this episode a bit boring.  I actually am tired of the constant plot lines where Claire has to drop everything to "heal" some random person they come across.  We get it...she's a doctor.  And the whole "this person is repugnant but Claire still has to provide care!" thing has been done multiple times throughout the series already.  I find the penicillin plot line kind of goofy, but at least it's different. 

I wish they'd focus on the Regulators stuff more.  It's more interesting and compelling, actually involves characters I know and care about, and moves the story forward. 

I got a huge laugh when Claire pulled out a black baby. 

You'd think with everything going on though (regulators, Jamie having to raise and army, being on the 'losing side' so far) that Claire would get some perspective and not have to do everything about everything all the time. It's a harsh world. Good job trying to invent antibiotics, but you don't have to stop for everybody. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I got a huge laugh when Claire pulled out a black baby. 

You'd think with everything going on though (regulators, Jamie having to raise and army, being on the 'losing side' so far) that Claire would get some perspective and not have to do everything about everything all the time. It's a harsh world. Good job trying to invent antibiotics, but you don't have to stop for everybody. 

What was she supposed to do about the baby? Not deliver it? Not make sure it was taken care of?  Or are you saying that they shouldn't have tried to buy out Jo & Kezzie's indenture?

• Like 1

Yes, just walk away for once. They're living in hard times. Now they have another mouth to feed. They have to establish some priorities. There's lots of bigger issues to deal with.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:53 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Yes, just walk away for once. They're living in hard times. Now they have another mouth to feed. They have to establish some priorities. There's lots of bigger issues to deal with.

The delivery and infant care I didn't mind. But her going all out for the wretched old coot was Claire following her script to a fault. That was a no brainer mercy kill situation.