Type keyword(s) to search

In the Media: Faux News

6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Well Damn dude it done.  I am curious now who knew what and when.  Selfishly though I want the show to have an end.  I hate shows left unfinished.

Everything I've read seems to indicate it was very much an open secret. Hell, I'm a little old lady from S.Calif, I heard about the rumors at least 5 years ago through a couple friends in the business. Plus the blogs have had dozens of blind items about him.

I would like to see an ending too. But without Spacey. I don't think I can bear to watch him now. It's probably a matter of writers being able to write a story without him and also finances. I haven't read anywhere how far they got with writing/shooting the new season. If they are deep into production they may not be able to change/redo it.

• Love 1

I just happened to be on Netflix and I flashed passed the marker for House of Cards and Spacey/Frank Underwood's picture is no longer on the picture.  Now it is Claire.  Maybe its a coincidence but up until fairly recently Frank Underwood has been the frontman for the show going so far as having him alone up front on the Netflix page.  Now Claire is.   Shit has gotten real.  

I hope to be wrong about this, but I actually kind of, sorta expect Spacey to have a comeback at some point.  Hollywood loves giving second chances/watching comeback stories, and this story is gonna test that to the breaking point.  I once thought Mel Gibson was done.  He's now clearly rehabilitated in the eyes of official Hollywood.  Makes me sick, but there it is.

57 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

I hope to be wrong about this, but I actually kind of, sorta expect Spacey to have a comeback at some point.  Hollywood loves giving second chances/watching comeback stories, and this story is gonna test that to the breaking point.  I once thought Mel Gibson was done.  He's now clearly rehabilitated in the eyes of official Hollywood.  Makes me sick, but there it is.

If Spacey has a comeback, I think it will be many, many years down the road.  I think Gibson had his because he was able to put some time and space between him and his drunken racist ramblings, and because Hollywood seemed to move on to other scandals.  Gibson also had some "friends" in his corner who continued to support him.  Jodie Foster is the one that comes to mind, but I think there were more of them.  And I think that Foster is the one who sort of brought him back into "polite society" in the industry.

Spacey is different.  Hollywood has had this very, very dirty secret for ages, possibly forever, now and they are finally starting to deal with it.  No one wants to be associated with anyone who has made these sorts of digressions.  For Spacey to come back, I think he'd need at least a decade, probably a friend or two (and it sounds like he doesn't have a Jodie Foster in his corner), and some new Hollywood moment of consciousness to make the sexual harrassment/assault situations to not be the worst thing going on.

ETA: I just read this and it sounds like I'm excusing and/or forgiving Gibson.  I'm not.  I think he's repulsive. 

Edited by Morksmate
14 minutes ago, PRgal said:

So are they or aren't they going to finish up the series with a season 6, sans Frank?  

From the last that I read, it sounds like they are scrapping much or all of what they've filmed so far and are re-writing the season to not include him.  My guess is that we'll have a body double playing his dead body early in the first episode.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Nobody comes back from pedophilia. 

• Love 6

Spacey is disgusting glad he got fired.

Just have to say - a spin-off with Doug would be the worst. I hate him and his character sucks and I hope that if they do next season with Spacey dead that somehow Doug was killed too.

• Love 2

I always loved Spacey''s acting, and I loved HOC.

I just hope, that they finish the season without him. Claire is strong, and can make this work. 

I just hope Spacey hasn't made us step back umpteen years, it's been difficult trying to say being gay isn't being a pedophile, he just proved some people right, and that really makes me angry. At least Spacey is done, put a fork in him! 

• Love 1
On 11/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, Morksmate said:

ETA: I just read this and it sounds like I'm excusing and/or forgiving Gibson.  I'm not.  I think he's repulsive. 

FWIW, nothing in your post sounded like excusing or forgiving to me. If that puts your mind at ease. :)

• Love 1
On 11/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I just happened to be on Netflix and I flashed passed the marker for House of Cards and Spacey/Frank Underwood's picture is no longer on the picture.  Now it is Claire.

Apparently it has changed again, because what I'm seeing has neither Frank nor Claire, but a closeup of a cigarette that's stubbed out. Okay then...

4 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Not even Polanksy or Charlie Chaplin? Or Errol Flynn?

Here is a link to some scandals that may or may not have been forgiven but I believe Flynn and Chaplin were:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/sex-scandal-hollywood-golden-age

There are so many reasons why Spacey will never work again that I can hardly begin to enumerate them.  Suffice to say, it's a much different world today.

2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Apparently it has changed again, because what I'm seeing has neither Frank nor Claire, but a closeup of a cigarette that's stubbed out. Okay then...

Mine is showing Claire and Frank in profile.

Hollywood loves a good comeback story.  Racism despite how vile it is you can come back from if you are smart, patient and lucky.  Mel Gibson was all of these in large part because Hacksaw Ridge was actually a decent movie.  He may have lost a ton of fans he’ll never get back but he was smart enough to disappear for a tick and then come back with a marketable product.

That being said Hollywood has always had a dirty little secret of sexual violence and it is starting to come to light.  If anyone involved is going to come back from this it’s not Kevin Spacey.   For one coming out right after being accused of sexual assault of a minor outright pissed off the LGBT community.  Add to that the growing rumors of increasingly “problematic” behavior.  No Spacey is good and cooked.  If he has any people left I would be more worried about saving him from jail or lawsuits then saving his career.  His career is over and not coming back.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I think they just need to end it where it is right now.  I can’t see any scenario where it can continue.  Replacing Spacey?  He’s too identified with Frank Underwood.  I know recasts have worked in the past, but I don’t see it working here.  

Killing Frank off? The whole show was Claire and Frank playing off each other.  So Claire goes it alone...I just don’t see it working either.  

Last season’s final episode could work as a series finale.  In all honesty, the last couple of seasons paled in comparison to the first 3 anyway.  

As far as Spacey himself, I agree his career is over.  I read today that he had a part in the Carol Burnett anniversary show which CBS has cut.  And, he is being replaced in a movie that is already in post-production.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

I think they just need to end it where it is right now.  I can’t see any scenario where it can continue.  Replacing Spacey?  He’s too identified with Frank Underwood.  I know recasts have worked in the past, but I don’t see it working here.  

Killing Frank off? The whole show was Claire and Frank playing off each other.  So Claire goes it alone...I just don’t see it working either.  

Last season’s final episode could work as a series finale.  In all honesty, the last couple of seasons paled in comparison to the first 3 anyway.  

As far as Spacey himself, I agree his career is over.  I read today that he had a part in the Carol Burnett anniversary show which CBS has cut.  And, he is being replaced in a movie that is already in post-production.

I heard about him getting basically body snatched from roll already in post production.  I was like “that’s hard core”.  

As much as I think the show could end with last season I am more then ready to see Claire Underwood as president and I think she can hold the show on her own.  At least for a final chapter which this show deserves.

its only been this last season that has been off its game and I think that was in large part because reality trumped anything fiction could think of.  Now we have settled in some so I would love to see if the show can pull itself out of some deep holes and well Robin Wright deserves the chance to pull out a victory.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I heard about him getting basically body snatched from roll already in post production.  I was like “that’s hard core”.  

As much as I think the show could end with last season I am more then ready to see Claire Underwood as president and I think she can hold the show on her own.  At least for a final chapter which this show deserves.

its only been this last season that has been off its game and I think that was in large part because reality trumped anything fiction could think of.  Now we have settled in some so I would love to see if the show can pull itself out of some deep holes and well Robin Wright deserves the chance to pull out a victory.

Good points.  I actually thought the show was better last season than it was the season before (the season where Frank got shot and had all the flashbacks).  I think Robin Wright is brilliant as Claire Underwood, and as an actress, no doubt she could pull it off.  And it would be nice to see her shine on her own. I was looking forward to a Claire Underwood presidency with Frank in the background.  I just don't know where they would take the show without the interplay between the two of them because it has always been so integral to the show.   If they can pull it off - yes, I agree, give her the season she deserves.

Apparently it may not be that easy to write Kevin Spacey out of House of Cards since he doesn't have a morality clause in his contract.     If Spacey pushes thing Netflix may legally be in the wrong for terminating him.  The only way they could legally fire him is if he is "Unavailable to film"  which essentially means other projects or been arrested.  Since at the moment he is neither Netflix may have to cancel the show rather then cancel him.    The execs could end up owing him more money then they are paying him if he decides to force the issue.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
27 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Apparently it may not be that easy to write Kevin Spacey out of House of Cards since he doesn't have a morality clause in his contract.     If Spacey pushes thing Netflix may legally be in the wrong for terminating him.  The only way they could legally fire him is if he is "Unavailable to film"  which essentially means other projects or been arrested.  Since at the moment he is neither Netflix may have to cancel the show rather then cancel him.    The execs could end up owing him more money then they are paying him if he decides to force the issue.  

Honestly, I'd rather they just cancel it.  I think any final season, even if he isn't in it, will just be "the season Kevin Spacey wasn't here because he sexually assaulted people."  Ending of a cliffhanger (sort of) would be better than that.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:17 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Interesting.  I honestly think Spacey is finished  - one or two accusations are bad enough, but perhaps he could recoup his career down the road.  But the dominoes keep falling with him, and I don't see anyway back, at least not in the immediate future.    I wonder if he would force the issue and if being in rehab makes him "unavailable to film" - because aren't they filming now?  And what do they do if, let's say, he decides he IS available but the cast and crew refuse to work with him?

On 11/5/2017 at 1:17 AM, millennium said:

Nobody comes back from pedophilia. 

Not pedophilia. Disgusting but not pedophilia. The victim was a teenager, not a pre-pubescent child. 

Maybe this time we will see some sexual predators getting what they deserve. The list is growing and as much as I feel sorry for the victims having to talk about it (as a survivor, I know it is hard) I am also glad that they are coming forward. If only we could clean up the long list of politicians too.

I love that Wright is replacing Spacey as the star and that the situation will presumably be mirrored by Claire ascending to the presidency. I got behind on this show after Season 3 and then lost interest after the last year of real-life politics, but now I'm intrigued to see how it all turns out.

Last season was kinda weird mostly because it mirrored real life so much.  You forget that the show was written and pretty much finished before the election it just wasn’t slated to drop until after the election then boom!  No matter what crazy ass shit Frank did it never compared to the crazy ass shit we were watching on real tv.  The season was actually pretty good and would have been award winning good.,,if real life wasn’t so fucked up.

uhhh in more ways then one.

Still long live President Claire Underwood!!!!

<Sidenote my shity autocorrect spells Underwood correct what does that say about the world?>. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I'm actually very happy that we'll get Claire Underwood with no FU in sight. And even without the Kevin Spacey business, in regard to all that's happened in the previous six months, it would still have made sense to have a Claire Underwood in charge. Of coure, there will be setbacks and hurdles and what not. Still....  

• Love 4

The huge problem I found with a lot of political based shows is that real life has gotten so crazy that scripted tv just can’t compete.   Last season had its problems but it was a great season that would have been award worthy if real life hadn’t outshined it in almost every aspect.   This season with Claire in the Big Seat the show can at least take on an alternate timeline that might be refreshing.

• Love 4

New season is starting Tomorrow November 2nd which is ironically the day I go on my yearly vacation.  Sucks for me because I was really looking forward to a Robin Wright front led season.  Still great thing about Netflix is that I can watch this anytime.  Will probs be a week after most people though.