Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 2/24/2020

MeThinkMeNot
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And they were right to point out that Warren isn't some kind of pure as the driven snow saint herself when she pretended to be a minority to put herself through college (that's what the whole DNA controversy was).

To be clear, the DNA test only showed that Warren did not have the American Indian ancestry she claimed to have. That doesn't prove that she lied about having it, only that she was mistaken.

• Love 11
Just now, heysmilinstrange said:

To be clear, the DNA test only showed that Warren did not have the American Indian ancestry she claimed to have. That doesn't prove that she lied about having it, only that she was mistaken.

No. The DNA test showed that she did have Native American ancestry. It was smaller than she'd thought, but enough to show that she'd had an NA ancestor about three generations back.

Unless I'm just repeating what you said, and I'm misinterpretting you?

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, carrps said:

No. The DNA test showed that she did have Native American ancestry. It was smaller than she'd thought, but enough to show that she'd had an NA ancestor about three generations back.

Unless I'm just repeating what you said, and I'm misinterpretting you?

Oh, fair enough. I was mainly emphasizing that we have no evidence that Warren was deliberately lying about her ancestry, as some posters here have implied.

• Love 12
Just now, heysmilinstrange said:

Oh, fair enough. I was mainly emphasizing that we have no evidence that Warren was deliberately lying about her ancestry, as some posters here have implied.

You are correct.

And without the DNA test Warren herself had no reason to believe she'd been untruthful. She was repeating what her mother and grandmother had told her.

Also, she didn't present herself as NA until she was actually a professor. It was of no advantage to her in her education.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

And yet Joy and Whoopi were right to say that Bloomberg could weaponize that against her. That is what Whoopi meant when she said Warren should be careful, because she's sitting on something problematic in her own history.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I had to back it up to play again because I couldn’t believe MeeAgain said to Whoopi after her profound statement that “ every time someone says they say what they think it’s going to be to not take it to heart no one knows what’s going to happen”  Megan said you are the the only one who says that to your credit, I do that all the time. WTF.  She continuously announces what’s going to happen under no uncertain terms and she going to enjoy coming back and reminding Joy etc.  She said no one should buy their way in—— really? I thought she’s been in politics since she was in the womb. 

I'm pretty sure Megabitch was completely wrong about the 2018 elections. I recall her being so sure there would be no blue wave.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but I'm not positive.

• Love 6
On 2/25/2020 at 4:25 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Someone give sunny and Oprah guy an Emmy. I have no clue how they can keep acting like products that have existed forever are still so innovative, exciting, and unique. A portable jewelry bag? What?!? Earring backs that help keep the earring straight!? Wow!! Stackable bracelets?!? How do they do it!?!? What’s next a ball point pen so I can finally get rid of my quill and inkwell?

And I find his way of talking really annoying!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, carrps said:

You are correct.

And without the DNA test Warren herself had no reason to believe she'd been untruthful. She was repeating what her mother and grandmother had told her.

Also, she didn't present herself as NA until she was actually a professor. It was of no advantage to her in her education.

Thanks for pointing that out...what I was going to say as well.  No benefits from it and it was from oral family history over generations.

3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And yet Joy and Whoopi were right to say that Bloomberg could weaponize that against her. That is what Whoopi meant when she said Warren should be careful, because she's sitting on something problematic in her own history.

I don’t rally know why joy would think it problematic...as others have noted, she didn’t use it to benefit herself, the dna did show some Native American heritage and she was simply repeating the oral history of her family she and earlier generations had understood to be true.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I'm pretty sure Megabitch was completely wrong about the 2018 elections. I recall her being so sure there would be no blue wave.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but I'm not positive.

You’re right. She was completely wrong in her predictions about 2018. When they talked about the results on the show she tried to downplay it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

You’re right. She was completely wrong in her predictions about 2018. When they talked about the results on the show she tried to downplay it.

Thank you! Now I wonder why no one on the show points this out.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, lusinia said:

Why was Whoopie saying, in a somewhat threatening tone, that Warren needs to be careful?  I'd love to know what she was implying. 

Whoopi was hinting that Warren needs to be careful what she says (especially in a televised debate) because it's borderline  slander, and Bloomberg will rightfully sue her. I believe they were referencing Warren's claim he told a woman to 'kill the baby', a startling accusation that caught everyone by surprise - especially Norah O'Donnell, who asked Warren what proof she had. Warren answered 'The woman's words', but didn't offer any proof. I don't think this is the end of this, and Whoopi seemed to know this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

Thank you! Now I wonder why no one on the show points this out.

I'm still wondering why they never ask the self-proclaimed 'election expert' what the heck went wrong with her daddy's campaign in 2008. If she can logically explain that fiasco, I would have more respect for her as the election expert. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

Meghan has said she never read or watched "Game Change."

MM likes to be ignorant and protected.

She often used the word hate too much - remember when she said she hated Hillary on the show and had to apologize and blamed it on her hangover? She hates Steyer, perhaps Bloomberg.

Says she only has R friends and then discusses all her weekend conversations with her D and I friends. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Rainyhawk said:

Thanks for pointing that out...what I was going to say as well.  No benefits from it and it was from oral family history over generations.

I don’t rally know why joy would think it problematic...as others have noted, she didn’t use it to benefit herself, the dna did show some Native American heritage and she was simply repeating the oral history of her family she and earlier generations had understood to be true.  

My mom said we were 1/8 Mohawk but my DNA says different, so ...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

Whoopi was hinting that Warren needs to be careful what she says (especially in a televised debate) because it's borderline  slander, and Bloomberg will rightfully sue her. I believe they were referencing Warren's claim he told a woman to 'kill the baby', a startling accusation that caught everyone by surprise - especially Norah O'Donnell, who asked Warren what proof she had. Warren answered 'The woman's words', but didn't offer any proof. I don't think this is the end of this, and Whoopi seemed to know this.

This incident was the basis for one of the lawsuits filed against Bloomberg that was settled and resulted in an NDA.  There are court filings and depositions that multiple news outlets, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and, online, ABC News have reported on.  Why Warren didn't mention that is anyone's guess.  She may have been told about the incident, but not where the information came from. 

Edited by lusinia
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

My mom said we were 1/8 Mohawk but my DNA says different, so ...

We have pictures of a relative and his NA wife.  Back in the day women were kidnapped and then refused to leave when "saved".  They liked the rights of women in the tribe.  Many children were kidnapped and raised by NA.  Just like many white people don't realize they have African blood.  I like my mom's line of, "No one will be truly free until all the races are mixed".

All this election talk has me clicking away.  I am stressed.  MM just like to always take the opposing side.

• Love 5

12 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

Individuals suffering from eating disorders will often cite having been given attention for losing weight. The brain gets triggered by weight loss/ comments regarding weight loss.  

They are just so incompetent  on topics like this.  When you compliment someone for losing weight , it puts pressure on them, so that if they regain the weight, they are a failure. I used to hate it when people would make a fuss if I lost weight and sure enough when I gained it back,  I felt like a loser. Joy was trying to say this, but generally the topic was just poorly handled.  Yet it is an important topic for women.

Instead,  we get the regurgitation of everything they have said before about politics.  Nothing new.  Whoopi keeps telling us it is of no use to speculate or predict what might happen, because we don't know.  Well, then, Whoopi, why do you have political analyst MeAgain on the show?   Why are all of your topics questions about politics and asking the panel what they think?

MeAgain said that Steyer said nothing memorable during the debate.  Sunny said that he talked about reparations and tried to say that he was the only candidate who said he would do something more than study it.  But because Sunny was proving MeAgain wrong, by saying he did say something of consequence to Sunny, MeAgain muttered unintelligibly throughout what Sunny was trying to say.

MeAgain now hates Steyer and Bloomberg.  Really?  Is she twelve again?

One thing I am enjoying of late is that the panel just ignores MeAgain when she goes off on stupid rants or when she interrupts. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, UpTooLate said:

He was scheduled, but I guess he didn't appear. I wonder if his absolutely skewering on AC360 last week and Anderson Cooper's refusal to accept his version of his incarceration ("I was a political prisoner") had anything to do with it? (Now, Meghan, that was a master class in "filleting." You should take notes.)

Just inviting him on the show was not a good look for ABC.   IIRC he was on before he went to prison.  

16 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

13 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Trump already hammered Warren with this.  She took the test and she does indeed have some NA blood.  I doubt this would cause anyone to not vote for her.

I have to agree with the other posters that say this show just isn't enjoyable to watch anymore. As has already been mentioned they talk about the same things every single day.  They have now caused me to do an eye roll when I hear certain words now.  I love talking about politics but these four women are ruining it for me.

• Love 12

I'm still surprised by how hard they ride for Bloomberg. Even to the point where Warren needs to be careful about her words, when she was citing an article about this case. If Warren needs to be careful, then Meghan does too since she's been using the same talking point against Bloomberg.

13 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

There was an article that said Warren listed herself as Native American, so Harvard hired her to bring in more diversity in their department. So she did technically benefit from it, even if she didn't allegedly know that she was hired to bring in diversity. I would say more, but I think that's OT.

12 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

It's been mentioned in multiple articles. Meghan, herself, has been talking about this the moment the news broke out.

• Love 2

First segment:  Missy had entirely TOO much to say & not all of it was true or educational.  Joy interrupted the back & forth to read an up-date from Sanjay Gupta & Missy said "Was that really necessary?" (or something to that effect).  Gawd, I'm so sick of that entitled blob of a bitch.

• LOL 4
  • Love 15

I agree with Whoopi about staying home when you’re not feeling well but a lot of people can’t afford to stay home. Some people go to work very sick and are afraid of getting fired. Especially hourly workers and service employees. There’s little sick time. Meghan just steamrolls over the conversation with her sarcastic, know-it-all attitude and general meanness about everything in the world. She lectures everyone, including the audience and is one of the most self-important people I’ve ever seen. 

• Love 14

When people clap it’s not necessarily because they want people to get the Carona virus.  It’s because they agree with what was said.  MeMeMe heard someone clap backstage , so I guess someone’s in trouble. At least the audience is in the clear

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I watched Joe Biden’s town hall and it was very good. He’s much better in town hall type settings. And I’m not surprised he’s doing well in the South. We do things a little differently down here. 🙂

Edited by GoldenGirl90
Meant town hall
  • Love 9

Not to defend Meghan, bc...ugh, but I get what she meant when she said that Biden's emotion is the antithesis of Mayor Pete and not Trump. She's not saying this when it comes to religion and faith, because Trump is Trump and he's horrible. She's saying this because Mayor Pete comes off as too rehearsed and too scripted when it talks to the point that it comes off as disingenuous instead of natural. There's a reason why people say he's a robot.

• Love 3
Just now, 2JEWELL said:

Omg- there it is.  They all need to get out of the way?  I’m tired of these guys acting like these debates hurt the candidates.  That’s what the debates are all about!  

But they are right. Moderate voters are spread too thin over too many candidates. 

• Love 4

This Love is Blind segment is yet another reason why I hate this show anymore.  Reason #45.  What a complete waste of time!  I can think of 20 other things off the top of my head to discuss.  If I wanted to hear about garbage like that, I would be watching it.  I am just shocked Whoopi didn't do Valley Girl voice.  Or did she, because I turned it off..

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
Just now, GoldenGirl90 said:

Meghan’s not a baby? Well she sure acts like one so that’s news to me.

She is with a man who writes out her blue cards for her and wants her to attack Joy Bahar every chance she gets , so...

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

MeGUN is behaving even more rudely to Joy lately with her nasty little comments, eye rolls, and head jerks.  I’m trying to figure out why a Joy is letting her get away with this childish behavior.  Also seems like she’s getting way too old for those immature mannerisms. 

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, GladysCravits said:

MeGUN is behaving even more rudely to Joy lately with her nasty little comments, eye rolls, and head jerks.  I’m trying to figure out why a Joy is letting her get away with this childish behavior.  Also seems like she’s getting way too old for those immature mannerisms. 

I've been noticing that a lot this week.  She's got the upper hand on Joy again and Joy is letting her.  The power struggle always lands in Meghan's favour.  Always. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, jumper sage said:

We have pictures of a relative and his NA wife.  Back in the day women were kidnapped and then refused to leave when "saved".  They liked the rights of women in the tribe.  Many children were kidnapped and raised by NA.  Just like many white people don't realize they have African blood.  I like my mom's line of, "No one will be truly free until all the races are mixed".

All this election talk has me clicking away.  I am stressed.  MM just like to always take the opposing side.

There's a great book about a white girl kidnapped by Natives, and the journey to be returned to extended family, and her resistance to being returned. News of The World. 

Beautiful story. Bittersweet.

Tom Hanks will star as the guy taking her to white relatives in the movie in Dec 2020 I believe. 

My SIL kept saying they were related to Benedict Arnold, but I got the the giant wonderfully researched history tome from another relative....Nope...Virginia, Georgia, Alabama,  Texas, Louisiana farmers and preachers.

I taught at the Indian Center for 5 years. They roll their eyes at that Native ancestor shit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Meghan randomly throws in an insult about Mayor Pete, just because, but then when Joy wants her to expand on what she means, Meghan says. "....but whatever.  This is not about Mayor Pete".   

There are two instances I could give from just the past couple of weeks to counter her attack, but that would get off-topic. 

I want Meghan to give just one example of where Trump is a "better politician when it comes to emotions" than Pete is.  

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 22

Wait a minute.  More of Oprah’s favorite things tomorrow?  Didn’t we get her favorite  things earlier this week?  (I turned it off, so I don’t know.)  Man, she has a lot of favorite crap. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I've been noticing that a lot this week.  She's got the upper hand on Joy again and Joy is letting her.  The power struggle always lands in Meghan's favour.  Always. 

I noticed it yesterday when Joy and Meghan were "joking around".  I'm sorry but if someone has been rude to me the way Meghan has Joy I wouldn't be friendly with them. I understand they work together but I would say as little as possible to them.

It seems the whole dynamic has changed since Abby left.  Even Sunny is being friendly with Meghan.  Watching the View seeing a spoiled brat continue to get her way and have no repercussions for her childish obnoxious behavior really does reflect our current society.  I hope things change soon.

• Love 17

I'm waiting with bated breath to see what Oprah needs me to buy tomorrow to feel good for Friday.  Probably some Philosophy body lotions with inspirational words on the label, some re-usable shopping bags and soy aromatherapy candles.  Meghan's little annoying fake laugh during that Edie Falco segment was something, huh.  She does that a lot with people (mainly women) who she is intimidated by intellectually. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I'm glad Joy cut into the middle of McCain's dewy-eyed worship of Biden when she made that idiotic comment about Buttigieg. I'm wishing Biden well, but I don't see what these ladies see in him regardless. Buttigieg is a much better speaker than he is. But this is just more of McCain taking potshots at anyone who might jeopardize Biden's win--Kamala, Steyer, Bloomberg, Buttigieg, etc. etc.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, lusinia said:

Meghan randomly throws in an insult about Mayor Pete, just because, but then when Joy wants her to expand on what she means she says. "....but whatever.  This is not about Mayor Pete".   

There are two instances I could give from just the past couple of weeks to counter her attack, but that would get off-topic. 

I want Meghan to give just one example of where Trump is a "better politician when it comes to emotions" than Pete is.  

Megan dislikes Pete alot and I share her disdain but for different reasons.. Megan wants Biden to win so she hates anybody who may prevent him from getting the nomination. My reasons are off-topic...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I'm waiting with bated breath to see what Oprah needs me to buy tomorrow to feel good for Friday.  Probably some Philosophy body lotions with inspirational words on the label, some re-usable shopping bags and soy aromatherapy candles.  Meghan's little annoying fake laugh during that Edie Falco segment was something, huh.  She does that a lot with people (mainly women) who she is intimidated by intellectually. 

I'm hoping to have a second chance at buying a $45 jar to store my happy thoughts in.  I was foolish and missed my chance at ordering it the last time.

• LOL 15
  • Love 3

Who laughed with me when Whoopi brought up her taxes when she was waxing poetic about what she hopes the next president can bring to the table?  She was actually somewhat coherent though and making some good points, so we'll give her that, but I snickered at the mention of her taxes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

MeAgain:  "narrative dissimulation"  Huh? 😕

MeAgain is very, very worried about the Coronavirus, so much so that she snarled at the few people who applauded something Sunny said, saying that they were applauding the virus and when it happens, it will be bad and will happen to everyone so it should not be applauded.  WTF?  But more WTF is this new tactic of the co-hosts ignoring every stupid thing she says.  Whoopi should have reprimanded her for that or at least explained to the idiot that the audience is not applauding the virus and nor are they politicizing it.

MeAgain, political expert, Megsplained why evangelicals support Trump. No one bought it.  They are just hypocrites, MeAgain.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Who laughed with me when Whoopi brought up her taxes when she was waxing poetic about what she hopes the next president can bring to the table?  She was actually somewhat coherent though and making some good points, so we'll give her that, but I snickered at the mention of her taxes.

Whoopie is angry over the SALT deductions that were limited for residents of blue states.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

I noticed it yesterday when Joy and Meghan were "joking around".  I'm sorry but if someone has been rude to me the way Meghan has Joy I wouldn't be friendly with them. I understand they work together but I would say as little as possible to them.

It seems the whole dynamic has changed since Abby left.  Even Sunny is being friendly with Meghan.  Watching the View seeing a spoiled brat continue to get her way and have no repercussions for her childish obnoxious behavior really does reflect our current society.  I hope things change soon.

I agree with you blondie,  about it being difficult to be friendly towards someone ego insults you,   I think Joy sees it as "killing her with kindness"...as a way of disarming Megaphone and showing MM that she has not gotten under her skin. 

I don't think I cd do it. Joy is a bigger person than me, plus she has a healthy,  "So what,  who cares, " vibe. After living so long, Joy knows what comes and goes.  Or she's playing the game/adage of being closer to your enemies.

Or she is the best fucking actor on the planet. 

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

There's a great book about a white girl kidnapped by Natives, and the journey to be returned to extended family, and her resistance to being returned. News of The World. 

Beautiful story. Bittersweet.

Tom Hanks will star as the guy taking her to white relatives in the movie in Dec 2020 I believe. 

The Tom Hanks movie takes place just after the Civil War and is scheduled for release on Christmas Day

I recently read a novel called The Sparrow based on the kidnapping of a British-American Puritan named Mary Rowlandson in 1676. The book she wrote later went through four printings and is often described as the first Anerican best-seller. Her experience pre-dates The Last Of The Mohicans (the kidnapping of Daniel Boone's daughter and grandchildren) by about 100 years.

The common thread in the long history of the captive narrative is the reluctance and/or refusal to be repatriated.

I'm not clear on why there is such a strong preference to ignore, downplay, and deny that DNA was blended along the way. There are such claims in my mother's family, which resulted in extremely heated disagreements. My best guess is that it comes down to racism.

I can see how Elizabeth Warren honestly, in the way she remembered hearing family history, came by her information but I cannot applaud her if she used it for professional or financial gain.

Edited by suomi
italics
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6