Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Bad Dads and Grads

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I actually think the baby discussion is relevant when you're an older single mom dating a guy who doesn't have kids. You don't have much time if you're going to try and you also have to face the facts that some people really want their own biological kids if at all possible.  (I have seen this break up otherwise great couples in my own life.)

Not even kidding, this was a conversation my BF and I had on our first date almost 11 years ago. We were both late-30s and pretty interested in each other. We figured why start something if we had opposing views on this topic. Fortunately, a resounding "no" from both us and the date is still happening.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

I am wondering where they are going with this baby thing-  Darlene preparing herself for one in her 40s without a job??  Wtf??? This is what she makes fun of others for doing.   I hope we get a reason for this- and no, “hottest guy I’ve dated” is not a reason.   

As soon as I saw Jennifer Gray looking at Jackie when the waiter was talking to her I knew where they were going.   And I think it’s funny that a lot of people didn’t know she and Clark Gregg have been married for years.   I met them in person once many years ago when I told people I met “Jennifer Gray and her husband” lol.   

Overall funny episode but maybe time to retire the baby plots.  

• Love 6
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't place her at all (other than a vague feeling of "she looks familiar") and it took me a few seconds to figure out who you were talking about. And I've seen Dirty Dancing many times. 🤣

There's a whole story how she ruined her career after Dirty Dancing by having a nose job. She lost the feature that made her distinctive and "I didn't place her at all (other than a vague feeling of "she looks familiar")" is exactly how most people have been thinking of her since.

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I really like the kid playing Ed Jr. Has he been in much else?

He played Mickey Milkovich on Shameless. Mickey was a violent Southside thug; he started out deep in the closet but eventually came out and had a relationship with Ian Gallagher. Who was a brother of Debbie Gallagher, played by Emma Kenney. Which is why it weirds me out to see Harris crushing on Ed Jr.

I think Dan was not so much upset about Ed Sr. spending the money for Ed Jr. to go to college as he was about Ed Sr. telling him that he wasn't "college material" back in the day. When we're young, we often believe the limitations parents and other adults impose on us. If it had been just about the money, but Ed Sr. had expressed confidence in Dan's abilities, Dan may have had the drive to put himself through college on his own.

I hate the baby storyline and want it dropped. If Sara can't come up with anything more original, maybe it's time to wrap up the show.

Oh, and if you want me to believe that Mark uses ironing as a stress relief, please teach the young actor how to iron properly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

This show is rapidly becoming "What is making Dan grumpy this week?".

Nice to see Clark Gregg.  I don't know what to think about Jackie considering getting into this throuple.  Doesn't seem like her style - at all.  But since it's all make believe, there's a part of me that wants to see how she handles it.  It's not like she has any other options lined up.

Funny how things change.  Lecy Goranson (who plays Becky) seems to have gotten much more attractive as she's gotten older.  You can't say that about everyone.  I never thought much of her appearance before.  Looks like she's in perfect shape too.  Maybe she got a boob job.  Hate the big tattoo on her arm/shoulder though. 

12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

There is just so much Darlene could do  to get out of poverty. 

Like have her win the lottery?  😀

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

There’s a Chicago Tribune article  which contains a lot of info on Natalie.  I tried to copy it here, but couldnt make that work. She has a very busy life with 2 children with special needs and medical issues.  She also acts in plays. So she may just not be available right now. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Added a missing word
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Maybe so but they've only been together a couple of months and they're not married or even living together. I think it's premature and ultimately pointless.

It feels like they've been together a while now.  But my husband and I married after knowing each other for 6 months, so I'm probably not a good judge. 🙂 

I'm not advocating for any more babies on this show** and would hope she says no but the issue is as good a story for them as any.  Better than cheating at least. 

** I would be okay with DJ and Geena having another kid, if the show lasts long enough. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

In addition to the omission of Crystal, there was the weird bit where Darlene mentioned how Conners don't drop dead, but linger to drive the younger generation crazy.

Um... Roseanne?

I noticed that too.  That line damn near jarred me out of my bed!  What a glaring retcon.

• Love 4

This week's list of things that bugged the shit out of me:

-weird transition to the flashback scene from season 4. Couldn't they have remastered the video a little bit? Furthermore, how dare they nostalgia for the original series when they keep throwing out parts of it that get in the way of whatever plot-of-the-week they dreamed up

-Mark was stress ironing, but the iron wasn't even plugged in.

-Dan blowing up the car. I mean, what the fuck show? That was cartoonish levels of sitcom writing, so far away in tone from the original that they're not even in the same universe. Original Dan would have sold that car to pay his bills no matter how much he hated his father.

-Dan bitching to Becky about his father not paying for his college. Like father like son, eh Dan? That was the whole reason why Becky ran away in season 4.

-Jackie dancing to the door as she left the diner. It was a little thing, but it just ups the level of cartoonishness.

I find myself thinking so often, this never would have fit with season three or four or five of the original run, when the show was at its peak. Maybe by season 8, when Roseanne and Jackie were having a food fight in the supermarket. if the Conners is supposed to be at its peak right now, what can we expect in a few seasons?

Maybe I just have to detach myself from the original. These really are like zombies inhabiting the bodies of characters I used to love. It's weird and off-putting. If they are going to salvage it, they desperately need a new showrunner and new writers. But with Gilbert at the helm oh, that's not likely to happen.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, DB in CMH said:

Dan blowing up the car. I mean, what the fuck show? That was cartoonish levels of sitcom writing, so far in tone from the original but they're not even in the same universe. Original Dan would have so that car to pay his bills no matter how much he hated his father.

They needed internal dialogue for Ed Junior in that scene. “Now I know why Dad didn’t pay for his college.”

• LOL 8

Feels like every episode is required to have a Darlene storyline, whether it makes sense (going for a bank loan on a Sunday), is interesting, is funny (getting arrested for trying to talk to Harris who now seems to visit the Conner house regularly) and/or enjoyable (making Darlene the decision maker as to Bev's (who is alive and competent but never consulted) property).  Typically, it is a poor Darlene plot.  Darlene Conner was once one of my all-time favorite TV characters.  I don't like the adult version all that much and feel she is being shoved down the collective audience's throat-The Darlene Show with Jackie, Dan and Becky as supporting players who sometimes get storylines but Darlene always has a storyline in every episode.

Mark, in conversation with Ben, was annoyed that a new baby would displace him as suggested by Harris.  Later, when talking to Darlene, he was solely worried about Darlene's health and his then having to raise a baby he hates.  That was out of the blue.  He made no mention of feeling displaced; Darlene was the one who said she would always love him and he said something to the effect of how could you not.  His reason for objecting to Darlene having a baby changed for no reason.  The Mark character always comes off fake to me.

In a show that often makes a big deal about having medical insurance, even referencing Harris not having insurance from Darlene in this episode, shouldn't the medical cost of having a baby be an issue?  Having a baby just seems like another way to give Darlene a story even if it doesn't make sense for the character at this time and is not necessary.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 13
On 2/25/2020 at 9:18 PM, UYI said:

It took me FOREVER to place Jennifer Grey, though--

THAT was Jennifer Grey? OMG I didn't recognize her. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, Snow Apple said:

I only realized it was Jennifer Grey because although she looked vaguely familar, it was her acting with Clark Gregg that gave me the "lightbulb" moment. She's his real life wife.

Another WTH? I didn't know Clark Gregg was married to Jennifer Grey. Nice to see Clark on the tv again as I am still waiting for Agents of Shield's new season. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Mark, in conversation with Ben, was annoyed that a new baby would displace him as suggested by Harris.  Later, when talking to Darlene, he was solely worried about Darlene's health and his then having to raise a baby he hates.  That was out of the blue.  He made no mention of feeling displaced; Darlene was the one who said she would always love him and he said something to the effect of how could you not.  His reason for objecting to Darlene having a baby changed for no reason.  The Mark character always comes off fake to me.

In a show that often makes a big deal about having medical insurance, even referencing Harris not having insurance from Darlene in this episode, shouldn't the medical cost of having a baby be an issue?  Having a baby just seems like another way to give Darlene a story even if it doesn't make sense for the character at this time and is not necessary.

I just assume that Mark thinks that logic is the best way to approach Darlene, not emotion.  

It's quite possible that the whole 'should they/shouldn't they' pregnancy storyline will play out for a while. I just don't want it to end with a miscarriage or other "very special episode". I'm old and cranky and have a very low tolerance for those anymore. 

Also, I hope ABC never gives Clark Gregg a sitcom.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Overall funny episode but maybe time to retire the baby plots.  

Especially the baby plots with women in their 40s who already have grown children.

Honestly, I've always felt that resorting to baby plots is a clear sign of creative bankruptcy on the part of the writers. I think Bazinga makes a good case upthread that the writers don't really know what to do with Darlene. We've already been through this with Becky. At first she wanted to be a surrogate just for the money, until she found out she was too old. Then bam, she's pregant . . . by accident. I almost have whiplash. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 12
On 2/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, peacheslatour said:

Most notably he has been on Showtime’s Shamekess where he plays Mickey Milkovich the long running love interest to Ian Gallagher.  Mickey has probably one of the best and long running coming out stories I have seen.  

He was also in the most recent movie series adaption of The Hatfields & The McCoy’s.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I liked a lot here. I didn't sense that Dan wanted to be angry at Ed Jr just was staying away to prevent being a jerk to him. Hopefully the car was now a derelict clunker, but even so I would have sold it for scrap not blown it up.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, tessaray said:

I'm not advocating for any more babies on this show

What?  How are they going to keep them in poverty then?

14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

In addition to the omission of Crystal, there was the weird bit where Darlene mentioned how Conners don't drop dead, but linger to drive the younger generation crazy.

Um... Roseanne?

Well, Roseanne was only Conner by marriage, maybe the drop deap genes are only passed through Dan.  Besides which, Roseanne basically accidentally killed herself with her choices, so it wasn't a natural death exactly.

13 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Dan blowing up the car. I mean, what the fuck show?

And there's your poverty.

13 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

if the Conners is supposed to be at its peak right now, what can we expect in a few seasons?

I've also thought this show has been falling off pretty quickly.  Maybe the fact that it is a continuation of an older show has hurt its shelf life.

3 hours ago, tessaray said:

Also, I hope ABC never gives Clark Gregg a sitcom.  

Clark Gregg in:  The Throuple.  Maybe this was a pilot episode!  And if they keep Jackie, it will be a spinoff.  Well, I guess it would be considered a spinoff anyway.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Just for the record, I am advocating to end the ridiculous Darlene-might-have-a-baby-because-Ben-wants-one-cuz- babies-are-cute storyline, like next episode.  We already have a baby, Beverly Rose.  We don't need a another geriatric pregnancy for everyone to angst over.  Ben should get a puppy.  Ben should get a job to help feed and care for vet bills for the puppy.  Or adopt a senior dog who needs a home.  Dogs and puppies are cute too.  Darlene isn't even in a physical condition to conceive and gestate a healthy baby regardless of her age.  Thanks Planned Parenthood for something.  I hope Darlene grabbed a few free condoms on her way out of the clinic for Ben's manly sexual pleasure while the lovebirds hash out the baby or no baby off screen and announce they're adopting an adorable pooch next episode.

Thanks for reading this.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8

Jackie just keeps getting weirder and weirder with each episode. First you had that female realtor friend and to me that seemed to border on a possible lesbian relationship. Now she’s part of a threesome? Can someone please clue me in on what makes Jackie so attractive that all the people are clamoring after her? She might have a cute figure but after listening to her hysterical rantings for 30 seconds I think most people would be turned off and run the other way. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

Jackie just keeps getting weirder and weirder with each episode. First you had that female realtor friend and to me that seemed to border on a possible lesbian relationship. Now she’s part of a threesome? Can someone please clue me in on what makes Jackie so attractive that all the people are clamoring after her? She might have a cute figure but after listening to her hysterical rantings for 30 seconds I think most people would be turned off and run the other way. 

The only thing I got is that "weird" people may be vulnerable to these other weirdos who want to take advantage of them.  Most non-weirdos wouldn't go for being Instant BFFs with some random woman they just met through a business dealing, or this Throuple crap.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Phoebe70 said:

She seems less crazed when she’s not trying/desperate, and to be honest, when she’s away from her family.

Any storyline where she’s happy and having her own life (and I don’t count The Lunchbox) is good with me.

• Love 1

Although there are humorous lines and I do laugh at times, more and more this feels like there is a focus on consistently poor decisions being made yet those making them don't look at themselves for their economic plight.  So, there are times I'm more frustrated with the show than amused.

• Love 4
On 2/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, peacheslatour said:

I remember him from The Riches, but there's a 70s/80s teen actor he looks a lot like but for the life of me, I can't place who it is!! 

• Love 1

Agent Coulson doesn't put Baby in the corner!!!!

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

I thought the actor looked a little like Stan Kirsch when he was on Highlander. A lot less hair though. 🙂 

This was exactly my thought.  My next thought was "Didn't he recently kill himself?" Then I was sad.

I think Becky found her place in the world.  Did you notice how she was thriving there in the restaurant, taking care of business, customers, and family?  She didn't miss a beat, and carried on with it all, as well as zinging out the best lines.  Everyone thinks that acerbic and sarcastic and bombastic Darlene takes after Roseanne.  But it appears that it is Becky.  Who knew?

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think Becky found her place in the world.  Did you notice how she was thriving there in the restaurant, taking care of business, customers, and family?  She didn't miss a beat, and carried on with it all, as well as zinging out the best lines.  Everyone thinks that acerbic and sarcastic and bombastic Darlene takes after Roseanne.  But it appears that it is Becky.  Who knew?

I did notice that. It was like a ballet. As one of the world's worst waitresses back in my teens/twenties I appreciate that for the rare talent it is.

• Love 11
On 2/25/2020 at 7:19 PM, Chaos Theory said:

No Harris we talked about this.  You can’t date your uncle.

I am so sick of this family and all it’s crazy rules.

How old are these people supposed to be?  Is Harris still in high school?  And Ed is at least in his mid-twenties?  It isn't really something you can as easily tease Harris over, but the age difference bothers me more than the fact that they're related, since I can't really blame Harris not thinking of her half great-uncle she just met as family.  Also, who openly hits on people in front of their entire family? 

On 2/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, rmontro said:

Funny how things change.  Lecy Goranson (who plays Becky) seems to have gotten much more attractive as she's gotten older.  You can't say that about everyone.  I never thought much of her appearance before.  Looks like she's in perfect shape too.  Maybe she got a boob job.  Hate the big tattoo on her arm/shoulder though.

My husband and I were commenting on how she and Sara Gilbert look more like sisters now than when they were kids, and how Lecy has become much prettier than her younger self.

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

My husband and I were commenting on how she and Sara Gilbert look more like sisters now than when they were kids, and how Lecy has become much prettier than her younger self.

I'm glad it isn't just me then.  You got me curious so I looked up their ages, they're both 45.  When they were younger I thought Sara was the prettier one, now that's reversed.  It's unusual for someone to get better looking when they get older.  Lecy looks like she's really taken care of herself. 

• Love 1
On 2/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, Snow Apple said:

I only realized it was Jennifer Grey because although she looked vaguely familar, it was her acting with Clark Gregg that gave me the "lightbulb" moment. She's his real life wife.

I recognized JG because of her husband. I loved him in :The New Adventures of old Christine." Which is when I learned he was married irl.

I hope Darlene decides not to have a baby. 

I knew the couple wanted more from Jackie,  it was hilarious though.

I hope they share some info about Crystal at least to give viewers a little wink that they hear our complaints. 

I also loved the old clip. Yes that was the bingo episode.  If you all remember in that episode Crystal does complain to Rosanne, when she tells her that she's pregnant, that Ed is almost never home. And she's frustrated with that.  (confirming Dan's prediction when he found out they were seeing each other)

• Love 4
On 2/27/2020 at 5:35 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Just for the record, I am advocating to end the ridiculous Darlene-might-have-a-baby-because-Ben-wants-one-cuz- babies-are-cute storyline, like next episode.  We already have a baby, Beverly Rose.  We don't need a another geriatric pregnancy for everyone to angst over.

It's all just so weird.  It just makes no sense to me that a 40-something who can't even afford to live on her own with the kids she has now is honestly pursuing the idea of having a third child.  

• Love 7
On 2/26/2020 at 5:35 PM, tessaray said:

I actually think the baby discussion is relevant when you're an older single mom dating a guy who doesn't have kids. You don't have much time if you're going to try and you also have to face the facts that some people really want their own biological kids if at all possible.  (I have seen this break up otherwise great couples in my own life.)

Perhaps, but I have to question a guy that goes into a relationship with a 40 something woman that doesn't do the math and puts pressure on the woman to have another child at that age.  Self-absorbed much?  Seriously, if this is what an older woman that gets involved with a guy should have to grapple with in exchange for male attention, count me out.  I think it's great that he actually got involved with her in the first place and not insisted on a younger woman, but don't do one thing right and then cancel it out with the other.

As to the "throuple", I don't really see that as Jackie's style.  She already looks uncomfortable with it, but is flattered by the attention.  Again with the older woman thing - are they suggesting she feels forced to "settle" for something she isn't really into because she's so starved for attention?  Obviously she's been very taken in by this couple's lavish gestures.  I'm in no way against the concept of a throuple, but I just can't see this being what she really wants and if she went ahead with it, it would feel like a rough fit just to create a timely story line.  And I would hope for more for her character.  I was not enough of a watcher of the original series to have a historical perspective on these people but even as someone that only started with this incarnation the direction (or lack thereof) this series is taking is leaving me underwhelmed.  I agree with the assessment that TPTB really doesn't know which direction to go with the show.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I'm trying to remember....  Didn't Jackie have a lesbian fling back in the original series? 

No, Nancy was the one who started dating women.

In the original "it was all a book" reveal, it turned out Jackie was a lesbian (and had always been up front about that with her sister, but Roseanne for some reason pictured her with men so that's how she wrote her).  But the revival season and this spinoff have thrown that book storyline out the window, so, as far as we know, Jackie has only ever dated men. 

• Love 3
On 2/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, Annber03 said:

Wow, really? Did not know that. 

I thought he looked familiar, too, but I was blanking on the name. There we go, then. 

Very interesting, didn't know that either!!   He was Old Christine's husband in New Adventures of old Christine (something like that) with Julia Louis-Dreyfuss.   I absolutely loved that show, very particular humor- not for all.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2020 at 6:48 PM, Annber03 said:

That was a nice talk between Becky and Dan at the restaurant. I really enjoy their heart-to-heart moments like this.

Becky suddenly seemed way smarter than she has been.

Am I the only one who thought the introduction of a throuple was going to run off a big portion of the audience for this show? Most people who tune in to empathize with blue-collar struggles aren't going to like that plot line. Personally I think it could be interesting, but I just kept imagining thousands of TVs changing channels during the pedicure scene.

On 3/1/2020 at 8:42 PM, txhorns79 said:

It's all just so weird.  It just makes no sense to me that a 40-something who can't even afford to live on her own with the kids she has now is honestly pursuing the idea of having a third child.

Oh yeah, it's a terrible idea. And entirely consistently with the actions of these characters. Next one of them will buy a stupid car with their meager life savings, or maybe magic beans.

• LOL 3
5 hours ago, Ottis said:

Am I the only one who thought the introduction of a throuple was going to run off a big portion of the audience for this show? Most people who tune in to empathize with blue-collar struggles aren't going to like that plot line. Personally I think it could be interesting, but I just kept imagining thousands of TVs changing channels during the pedicure scene.

I've kinda wondered about that, too, On the one hand, the original "Roseanne" tended to be more liberal-minded with this kind of stuff, so I could see most viewers being okay with it, and I don't know that ABC's audience in general is quite as conservative? I dunno, could be wrong.

But on the other hand, I can see it being a turn-off for some, yeah. Personally speaking, it doesn't bother me. If everyone's on board with that kind of thing, do what you wanna do, and all that. 

• Love 3

If House Hunters International can have an episode with a "throuple" it must be a trendy kind of thing.  I tend to file that stuff as "whatever, spare me the TMI".

I had figured Ron and Janelle to be a one-off since they are pretty big names for the kind of budget The Conners must have but who knows?

Spoiler

Especially since the next episode description says: "Jackie decides to take her “thrupple” relationship with Ron and Janelle (guest stars Clark Gregg and Jennifer Grey) to the next level." 

• Love 2

It's been over a week, and I'm still laughing at Becky's explanation to Jackie of what a throuple is:  "It's the fun of a threesome with the drudgery of a relationship."

• LOL 4
On 2/28/2020 at 11:19 AM, QQQQ said:

I'm thinking a little older than that - like a contemporary of Philip McKeon, etc.

He reminds me of a young Alex Winter.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:54 PM, rmontro said:

I'm glad it isn't just me then.  You got me curious so I looked up their ages, they're both 45.  When they were younger I thought Sara was the prettier one, now that's reversed.  It's unusual for someone to get better looking when they get older.  Lecy looks like she's really taken care of herself. 

To be fair, Lecy no longer has that horrible haircut, and Darlene's hair constantly looks like she needs to wash it.  Darlene also persistently looks sour or displeased with everything she sees.  

On 3/6/2020 at 9:17 AM, Ottis said:

Becky suddenly seemed way smarter than she has been.

I'm glad of this.  She is sober, and she is returning to her old self.  

• Love 3