Type keyword(s) to search

The Awards Thread: The Golden Throne

• Start Topic

Full list of Emmy nominations for GoT:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Peter Dinklage
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series - Lena Headey
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - The Dragon And The Wolf by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - Beyond the Wall by Alan Taylor
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - The Dragon and the Wolf by Jeremy Podeswa
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series - Diana Rigg
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More) - Dragonstone
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - The Spoils of War
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - The Spoils Of War
Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie

• Love 1
(edited)

I really don’t understand why Peter Dinklage was nominated again this year. Nothing against the guy but he has had less and less to do every season and he keeps getting nominated. It feels more like a habit now to just nominate him and it’s tiresome.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I really don’t understand why Peter Dinklage was nominated again this year. Nothing against the guy but he has had less and less to do every season and he keeps getting nominated. It feels more like a habit now to just nominate him and it’s tiresome.

Eh, Peter Dinklage did more than in Season 5 for which he won the Emmy (his S7 scenes with NCW and Lena), so why not? He's also one of the best and most known actors in the main cast of a show which regularly garners multiple nominations, so it's almost a "nomination by association."

• Love 1

I think Peter is great but I don't think the writers give him much to work with sometimes.  He definitely shouldn't have picked up the Emmy for Season 5 (Jonathan Banks should have picked it up that year).  It was nothing against him but he really didn't have a standout moment that season.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Eh, Peter Dinklage did more than in Season 5 for which he won the Emmy (his S7 scenes with NCW and Lena), so why not? He's also one of the best and most known actors in the main cast of a show which regularly garners multiple nominations, so it's almost a "nomination by association."

I wasn’t trying to insult him. Personally I love the guy and think he’s fantastic. I just think his constant nominations are a little ridiculous when you have someone like Alfie Allen who has done outstanding work and has been overlooked consistently. Peter Dinklage to be fair hasn’t been the star of this show for a few seasons, he hasn’t had a meaty storyline of his own, and his one really good acting scene this season was with Lena in the finale. I don’t think he deserves to be nominated this season just because of his name. ?‍♀️. To be honest I was baffled that he was nominated. Just my opinion, doesn’t mean I don’t think he doesn’t deserve the other Emmy he has or he’s not a great actor. 

• Love 5

I don’t think Peter Dinklage deserved to be nominated this year either. He is a fantastic actor, one of my favorite actors on the show, but I don’t think they gave him enough good material to work with. It’s not as bad as his nomination for season 6 (that was completely undeserved) or his win for season 5 but his role in season 7 just doesn’t justify his nomination. 

• Love 2

Game of Thrones won the following awards at last weekend's Creative Emmys:

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - Ramin Djawadi, "The Dragon And The Wolf"

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)

Outstanding Special Visual Effects

Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie - Rowley Irlam, Stunt Coordinator

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Game of Thrones won the following awards at last weekend's Creative Emmys:

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - Ramin Djawadi, "The Dragon And The Wolf"

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)

Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie - Rowley Irlam, Stunt Coordinator

And Diana Riggs wuz robbed. Not holding my breath for acting wins this season.

• Love 2

Congrats to Peter Dinklage for his Emmy! If anyone deserves an award on this show, it's him. And of course Alfie.

If Dinklage gets an Emmy for season 8, I think he will break the record for most Emmys in the supporting actor category. Though, personally, I think it would make no sense for him to be submitted in the supporting actor category in the final season.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2

Very happy Game of Thrones won Best Drama, which is richly deserved.

As for PD's victory, it feels like another case of the Emmy winner honoring someone simply on the basis of being a previous winner.  When PD won in Season 5, that was another example.  I remember all the critics saying that Season that he was the deserving no-brainer to win but I didn't understand it.  PD always does great work but was given no Emmy material in Season 5 and as far as I was concerned, he received the Emmy that Jonathan Banks should have gotten that season for Better Call Saul.  He was good in Season 7 but I really can't remember much about his performance or storyline in Season 7.  PD's best seasons were for Season 1 (which he rightly got the Emmy for) and Season 4 (which he didn't win).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, nikma said:

I'm happy that GoT won again. It's really something that was never seen on TV.

And I'm happy that THT lost lol

The acting remains excellent, but THT took a big dive in quality post-S1, in my opinion.

Didn’t Gold Derby give THT an 80% chance of winning Best Drama? Oops.

Happy for Peter Dinklage. At least this time he won’t have to feel bad about stealing Jonathan Banks’ Emmy.

• Love 3

Very nice wins for Dinklage and the show last night! Honestly sometimes I think GoT has become a show in which they put more effort into CGI and FX rather than writing a good script, but Tyrion's conversation with Cersei at the end of the season was great writing and acting. See, they can do it. 

54 minutes ago, GraceK said:

How Peak TV Nearly Broke the Game of Thrones Crown - Vanity Fair

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/game-of-thrones-emmys-wins-best-drama-peak-tv

I didn't think they'd win anything but in the creative or technical categories because the season aired so long ago. The fact that GoT still won outstanding drama series is a victory, imo.

In 2019, it will finish airing 3 months before the Emmys. Maximum hype.

• Love 5

I wish it had been NCW who had a much better year this year than Peter.

When I consider this year Peter barely registers but NCW completely stands out and not just for his scene with Olenna.  He did much less wordy stuff but it was really memorable.

• Love 5
On 9/18/2018 at 7:21 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

image.thumb.png.07773a571088877bb0e10a630ea267d9.png

OK, I've been wondering this since I watched last night-- who is the young man in the bow tie between Gwendoline Christie and GRRM?

I thought for a second that Trevor Noah photobombed the cast....

I just saw that Alfie Allen and Gwen were both nominated for an Emmy. I'm so very glad for them, they deserve it so much. Of course, they probably won't win with respectively two and three other nominees for GoT in their respective category. I'm still happy they finally got some recognition.

• Love 6

I honestly knew it would get noms but not THIS many.  Kudos to all the actors but I think Peter should have been in lead category.  That said, I'm pulling for Nikolaj and Gwendolyn in their respective categories.  Any of the women winning will be fine though.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I'm glad Alfie Allen (who played Theon Greyjoy), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth) and Carice van Houten (Melisandre) received submitted their own names for consideration.

Sure shows the hierarchy on which stars HBO chose though, leaving (at least) these 3 out so others would have a better chance.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Umbelina said:

I'm glad Alfie Allen (who played Theon Greyjoy), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth) and Carice van Houten (Melisandre) received submitted their own names for consideration.

Sure shows the hierarchy on which stars HBO chose though, leaving (at least) these 3 out so others would have a better chance.

Which is ridiculous. Lena already lost when she deserved it because votes were split and yet HBO submitted Sophie and Maisie.

Of course, considering the material or lack thereof, they might have not expected three nominations (they kinda forgot Emmy voters know television so well, they had to be apprised of Tatiana Maslany's existence a few years back. LOL).

• Love 3

Not surprised the show got so many noms; the Emmys sometimes do that for a big show's last season. There are a couple, I'm not saying which, I don't think should have been nominated because they barely did anything this season. At least one who I consider among the weakest of the cast but there's no chance of that person winning so it doesn't matter.

(edited)
2 hours ago, slf said:

Not surprised the show got so many noms; the Emmys sometimes do that for a big show's last season. There are a couple, I'm not saying which, I don't think should have been nominated because they barely did anything this season. At least one who I consider among the weakest of the cast but there's no chance of that person winning so it doesn't matter.

I think Lena's nomination was unwarranted based on her actual performance this season, so I'm thrilled that Gwendoline decided to self-submit.  She deserves to win based on the Great Hall scene in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms alone.

And Alfie should've been nominated for every season since #5, so kudos to him for self-submitting too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9

Vanity Fair has a sweet article about the three actors, but the link isn't working.  Google probably will:

HBO Didn’t Put Gwendoline Christie Up for an Emmy Nomination—So She Got It Herself

Knights of the Seven Kingdoms are doin’ it for themselves.

By

Laura Bradley

July 18, 2019

• Love 5

10 Emmy wins:

Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour)
The Long Night

The Bells

The Bells

Outstanding Makeup for a Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic)
The Long Night

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie

Outstanding Main Title Design

Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score)
The Long Night

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series

Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour)
The Long Night

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series
The Long Night

• Love 4

Dinklage just won Supporting Actor. 

They also had a cast tribute with a bunch of the mains onstage, then cut to...the castmembers not on stage?

And Best Drama, though the show was shut out the acting categories other than Dinklage's win. Too bad, I would have liked to see Emilia and Gwendoline win their categories.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Too bad, I would have liked to see Emilia and Gwendoline win their categories.

I wish Alfie had won supporting, too, imo he deserved it more. But split votes + lack of decent material + hard for genre shows to get wins in acting categories =  actors paying for the crappy writing and polarized reception. I suspect the finale season effect would have played in their favor, had the season delivered and been met with general enthusiasm and satisfaction.

The darkness issue might have cost Sapochnik a directing Emmy for 8x03. I don't think split votes mattered here.

I truly wondered if, after the script for 8x06 had to be taken off the Emmy site, there was any way GoT could win best writing. It seems not. How  TPTB didn't even submit 8x02 is beyond me. Or rather, it seems that D&D really, really wanted this Emmy and tried to avoid split votes. They didn't get it, they weren't rewarded personally for their biggest screw-up or "their" episodes.

So, while I don't think this best drama win was deserved, it doesn't infuriate me either. I take it as rewarding the crew, the cast as a whole, and their hard work for this season as well as the entire run of the show.

• Love 5

Yes but it should not be for a body of work, but for the work they put out this year. There is a reason there have been very few acting awards won for Game of Thrones.  It was a decent show, but in the little that I saw the acting was terrible....except from the seasoned vets.  I like PD, but he did not deserve it this year.

• Love 2

I'm so bummed Alfie and Gwendoline didn't win.  IMO, they had some of the most consistently great acting throughout the series and they killed it with the emotions of their story lines in season 8.  I'm happy Peter won, but Alfie deserved it more for this season. I hope eventually he gets the recognition he deserves.  I'm hopeful and excited to see what comes next.  Same with Gwendoline.  She's awesome (and she looked like a goddess last night at the Emmys).  I feel like they were robbed.  

• Love 6

Alfie was totally robbed. He had to submit himself and he's so underrated and his arch was the most moving. Overall, I'm still bitter about GoT, it's really Dexter/Lost-like in a way that the finale ruined the whole show. Fans are still bitter and it was so easy to kind of please them..

• Love 3

Carice was an Emmy nominee. Of course she was going to be on stage. In fact, the only cast members up there to present an award were those nominated for acting awards. Isaac, Liam, Conleth, John Bradley, all sitting in the audience. No big deal about that. I didn’t notice the show footage.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Carice was an Emmy nominee. Of course she was going to be on stage. In fact, the only cast members up there to present an award were those nominated for acting awards. Isaac, Liam, Conleth, John Bradley, all sitting in the audience. No big deal about that. I didn’t notice the show footage.

So now we are deciding that if we are going to do a tribute to the show they have to have been an Emmy Nominee?  I am not the only one commenting on this. It was odd, and quite frankly they did not need all of them to do that. Was she a nominee this year? 

Carice was nominated for guest actress which was awarded the weekend before to Cherry Jones for The Handmaid’s Tale.

GoT has 40000 cast members. They chose the Emmy nominees to be presenters, Kit and Emilia for best actor/actress, Alfie, Sophie, Maisie, Gwen, Nikolaj and Peter for best supporting, and Carice for Best Guest. No mystery there. If people are commenting on it, perhaps they just didn’t notice it was nominees only because Carice’s category wasn’t done on the big night.

ETA: The bit with them on stage was not a tribute to the show any more than any other presenters were getting a tribute. The GoT cast members were up there to present an award jointly.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Additional clarification.
  • Love 4