Type keyword(s) to search

The Awards Thread: The Golden Throne

• Start Topic

I found 0% of the episode amazing, but opinions are like, well, you know.

As you prove your own point.

Look, not sure I see the purpose of floating around a forum, being a little black rain cloud, trying to spoil everyone's enjoyment while adding nothing to the conversation, certainly nothing to spark additional thought. if you want to disagree, tell me what specifically you didn't like. And "anything, everything and stuff" aren't real answers. Their conversation killers and conversations avoiders. I'm happy to engage, but you have to actually engage.

Or backhandedly call me an asshole. Because that's always fun.

• Love 1

ICAM about NCW. He was just stellar in S3, especially because I loved how understated his acting was, without any melodramatic note; for me, the inner changes he conveyed were more powerful and in the end more present than the shocking exterior events. Just like I think Alfie Allen should have been nominated this year imo, along with P.Dinklage. Theon killing Miranda was the hell of a Hell Yeah moment.

The body double probably counted for people "in the know", it might have had an impact on the "Method" crowd for example? For me, it took guts to play the scene at all, especially in her state at the time. But Dany is quite popular with casual viewers, professional or not imo, so I still think the split vote counted. Never underestimate a "Dracarys". Maybe the context of the scene mattered, too. Maybe some people didn't want to vote for a performance, even great, that portrayed a woman's public humiliation.

Was L.Headey nominated for S3? Retrospectively, it was the best Cersei year for me. I find it more difficult to play a character in full power with layers, especially when it's a villain -the one-note is so tempting- but I could see the cracks in Cersei's armor all around behind her cat-who-ate-the-bowl-of-cream smirk.

The Walk of Shame was more than LH or a double walking naked through a crowd of jeering people.  The real journey is Cersei's emotional breakdown from the proud, arrogant queen to the angry, broken and vengeful woman who may not have the most positive feelings towards those who saw her humiliated.  LH conveyed that emotional array perfectly with her facial expressions and demeanor.  The nakedness stripped Cersei down to an ordinary woman who wasn't any different than the residents of King's Landing.  It took away her armor in the form of her fine clothes and hair. 

LH was pregnant at the time the Walk of Shame was shot, so it may not have been realistic for her to do the scene herself depending on how far along she was.  I do have to give the showrunners and HBO credit for crediting the body double rather than creating the false illusion that LH did it all, similar to how Fox Searchlight handled the situation over Natalie Portman's dance double in Black Swan.  Both Portman and Fox Searchlight claimed that Portman herself did most of the dancing, including the more complicated steps.  The double, Sarah Lane, claimed that the only shots of Portman dancing were the tight closeups.  Her story is that most of the dancing is her with Portman's head added later in post production.  I'm more inclined to believe Lane because of the level of dance skill expected for the role and that that the dance training was a key part of Portman's Oscar campaign.  I don't think she would have won if she had been more honest about the actual dancing she did for the role. 

• Love 2

The Walk of Shame was more than LH or a double walking naked through a crowd of jeering people.  The real journey is Cersei's emotional breakdown from the proud, arrogant queen to the angry, broken and vengeful woman who may not have the most positive feelings towards those who saw her humiliated.  LH conveyed that emotional array perfectly with her facial expressions and demeanor.  The nakedness stripped Cersei down to an ordinary woman who wasn't any different than the residents of King's Landing.  It took away her armor in the form of her fine clothes and hair.

You're preaching the choir here. In the post you quoted, I tried to look for reasons why people who could actually vote didn't choose the Walk of Shame, and I'm not a member of the Academy. Just in case, I don't think I said I shared their opinion, I believe I explicitely stated that I found that L.Headey had guts for doing it at all.

And thank you for reminding me of the meaning of the scene, nevertheless I had gotten it on my own :)

Edited by Happy Harpy

With the SAG nominations coming up, this feels like the year where they may finally get the Ensemble prize, coming off the Emmy wins.  That's the one award I have no hesitation in saying they deserve.  In any event, if they do win, the lucky castmembers who qualify for nomination this year are (episode count in brackets):

1.  Peter Dinklage (10)

2. John Bradley (9)

3.  Kit Harington (9)

4.  Brenock O'Connor (9)

5.  Sophie Turner (9)

6.  Emilia Clarke (8)

7.  Ben Crompton (8)

8.  Stephen Dillane (8)

9.  Iain Glen (8)

10.  Lena Headey (8)

11.  Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (7)

12.  Liam Cunningham (7)

13.  Nathalie Emmanuel (7)

14.  Michiel Huisman (7)

15.  Owen Teale (7)

16.  Alfie Allen (6)

17.  Ian Beattie (6)

18.  Gwendoline Christie (6)

19.  Tara Fitzgerald (6)

20.  Jerome Flynn (6)

21.  Joel Fry (6)

22.  Aidan Gillen (6)

23.  Hannah Murray (6)

24.  Daniel Portman (6)

25.  Iwan Rheon (6)

26.  Carice van Houten (6)

27.  Maisie Williams (6)

28.  Tom Wlaschiha (6)

Series regulars missing the cut:

1.  Dean-Charles Chapman (5)

2.  Natalie Dormer (5)

3.  Kristofer Hivju (5)

4.  Indira Varma (5)

5.  Conleth Hill (4)

6.  Michael McElhatton (4)

And, of course, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, who wasn't in this season at all.

The line between making it and not making it can look pretty arbitrary up-close, as is the case with any hard rule.  Even setting aside people like Crompton and Beattie who are basically credited extras, with actors with substantial roles you have cases like Hannah Murray (who makes it to six episodes on the basis of her wordless appearance in episode 510 when Gilly is seen seated beside Sam on the wagon driving away from Castle Blak) and Gwendoline Christie and Daniel Portman (who both make it to six episodes on the basis of a wordless few seconds in episode 507).

Edited by SeanC

Golden Globe nomination:

Best TV Series, Drama

SAG award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series - PETER DINKLAGE / Tyrion Lannister

(edited)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Uzo Aduba)
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones

Maura Tierney, The Affair
Constance Zimmer, UnREAL

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA (2015 winner: Peter Dinklage)
Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
Ben Mendelsohn, Bloodline
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Kit Harrington, Game of Thrones

Michael Kelly, House of Cards
Jon Voight, Ray Donovan

OUTSTANDING DRAMA (2015 winner: Game of Thrones)
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Mr Robot

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1

Yay, Kit & Maisie!!! He worked his ass off this season and I'm glad he's getting a bit of recognition for it. Maisie's nom came as a surprise (to her as well, LOL) but well deserved. I've always considered her the best of all the younger actors. It's nice to see her finally recognized. I'll be rooting for both of them.

• Love 4
(edited)

23 noms in total

Also (pulling from here):

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series

Game Of Thrones • Battle Of The Bastards - Directed by Miguel Sapochnik

Game Of Thrones • The Door - Directed by Jack Bender

Edited by scottiB
  • Love 1

I really am happy for Kit, Lena and Maisie; the former especially put in a lot of work this season and it was rewarded.  I wish Liam would have replaced Dinklage and Turner would have replace Emilia but it is what it is.  

• Love 3

I don't necessarily agree with the Kit nomination but I'm happy for him. And of course I'm thrilled for Maisie as well.

The supporting actress category is loaded with GoT, but it's a good bet Maggie Smith gets the win.

I hope Battle of the Bastards wins for directing.

Now that I'm less immediately enraged by the acting noms, it's actually pretty bizarre that Maisie Williams got in over 2x Emmy winner and 2x Sag winner Uzo Aduba, even if it's clear that Orange is the New Black has lost momentum each year. 

Woohoo.  Win! All the Emmys!

I'll chime in with a hooray for Kit and Maisie as well.  Kinda thought Sophie would get in over Emilia.  If Lena submitted TWOW, that's gonna be a tough one to beat.

I'm pretty sure TWOW was the submitted episode for the Drama category, I think they have a high chance of repeating their win.

• Love 1

Maisie has been an obvious standout since the beginning, and deserved a nomination for Seasons 2-3, definitely, but was never in contention because child actors aren't taken seriously for those sorts of things.  It doesn't really surprise me that she got a nomination eventually, though I am surprised it happened this year, since it didn't feel like there was much buzz for her story.  Delayed recognition, perhaps?

Glad for Kit, who should have been nominated last year.

Peter absolutely did not deserve a nomination this year.  He had barely anything to do.

They avoided vote-splitting in the cinematography category this time around; last time I think they had, what, four of the seven nominees, but didn't end up winning.  Now it's just "Home".

• Love 2

Congrats to all involved for GOT.  This season was a lot more deserving.  I'm particularly happy for Maisie, who should have gotten a nomination a couple of years ago.

Peter absolutely did not deserve a nomination this year.  He had barely anything to do.

I think Peter just gets it on name recognition, like a lot of previous winners do.  I still say he won Jonathan Banks Best Supporting Actor Emmy last year.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, kittykat said:

Woohoo.  Win! All the Emmys!

I'll chime in with a hooray for Kit and Maisie as well.  Kinda thought Sophie would get in over Emilia.  If Lena submitted TWOW, that's gonna be a tough one to beat.

I'm pretty sure TWOW was the submitted episode for the Drama category, I think they have a high chance of repeating their win.

6 episodes are submitted for Drama. Those 6 aren't yet announced, though presumably 4, 5, 9, and 10 are among them.

It looks only 5 under-21 actors previously got nominated for a main Drama category: the 50s' Johnny Crawford for The Rifleman, the 70s’ Melissa Sue Anderson for Little House & Kristy McNichol for Family, the 90s’ Claire Danes for My So Called Life & Kellie Martin for Life Goes On. Only McNichol got multiple for the role; will Williams join her?

Edited by jjjmoss
30 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Right? Let's play a drinking game isn't my idea of Emmy-worthy. Frankly, even though I loved the show this year, of the nominees I really only think Lena was deserving of a nomination. Most of the most powerful and exciting moments were hers or happened in a way that didn't really depend on the actors doing anything special. The Hodor reveal was great but I think the direction and writing were the most important thing there, same for Tower of Joy, same for the actual on the field Battle of the Bastards. I will never forget the moment of the horses running straight at Jon, but that doesn't mean Kit did anything award worthy. Arya was in a holding pattern for most of the season and Dany yelled in Dothraki some more.

When I think about other shows and actors who were snubbed to make room for Emilia and Peter, it seems very silly.

• Love 4

Peter is Peter so his nom does not surprise me.  What I don't get is what Emilia is doing to get noms every year.  I don't think she's terrible, but I've not seen anything noteworthy that she's done dramatically.  Meanwhile Sophie continues to be overlooked.  Ah well.  Congrats to everyone else, especially Kit, who is often seen as a pretty face/sex symbol, and not given credit for the work he does.

• Love 3

I dunno, I just wasn't that impressed with Kit this year. Maybe it was the writing, but I just never got the sense that "this guy died and came back to life" about Jon. Not until Battle of the Bastards when he really played it like "I was already dead, I don't care, kill me again." Maybe they submitted that ep for him. 

I agree that Sophie is overlooked, and I think she did some of her best work this season. 

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

I dunno, I just wasn't that impressed with Kit this year. Maybe it was the writing, but I just never got the sense that "this guy died and came back to life" about Jon. Not until Battle of the Bastards when he really played it like "I was already dead, I don't care, kill me again." Maybe they submitted that ep for him. 

I agree that Sophie is overlooked, and I think she did some of her best work this season. 

Eh, I disagree.  The writing for the resurrection storyline wasn't that great but I think he played well what he was given.  To me, he had more of an air of "I think I'm completely done with this, I'm going to the South Beach of Westeros, lose my number please"  defeated vibe to him.  I'm glad that he was recognized for his hard work.

If they were going to nominate another GoT lady, then it should have been Sophie NOT Emilia.  

Edited by onyxrose81
  • Love 3

I think Emilia is the weak link in the main cast. I only began watching GOT on DVD last Summer and even though I felt I was supposed to be most sympathetic to the character of Dany I had a really hard time becoming invested. Turned out my son & daughter have the same issues. She is way too stagey of an actress for our taste.

Awards, including nominations, are always going to have their disappointments I guess. I agree Sophie should easily have been nominated over Emilia. But the Emmys get stuck on shows and keep nominating the same shows/actors. Hence Downton Abbey & Maggie Smith. How many times did Modern Family get noms and wins over better shows? A lot.  At least Kit and Maisie broke through, deservedly so IMO.

• Love 2

I'm a blatant, biased fan of his, but I do find it annoying that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is now the only one out of the top five billed to not get nominated. He's not up against Emilia of course, but he's about ten times the actor that she is, and also I think they're just going to continue giving it to Peter Dinklage over him irrespective of who had the better material/who did the better job in a particular season (Season 3 especially comes to mind). He's the only non-American or British actor in that top tier though, so I think that might be working against him a bit as well (among other things).

Kit Harington I can understand squeaking through at last after last season and this season. Maisie I'm on the fence about. 

• Love 5
(edited)

It was a crime that NCW didn't get nominated for his performance in the third season.  I like both Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke but there's something wrong with the fact that they've been nominated and NCW hasn't.  I wouldn't even put Emilia in the top five when it comes to Best Actress on Game of Thrones.

As for NCW, a few seasons worth of bad storylines have almost knocked him of the Emmy radar.  It's not helped that D&D are indifferent to Jaime's character while they love Cersei.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Much happier over the show's noms this time, compared to last season.  Still think Peter gets nominated for just being Peter and as much as I like Emilia, I still find it odd that she's now beloved by voters, but I'm thrilled for Lena, Maise (despite not caring for Arya's plot), and even Kit, who I felt like he stepped it up these past few seasons.

I do wonder what do Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Sophie Turner have to do to finally get nominated.  The latter in particular I thought gave one of the best performances easily this season.  Also, I think this is the first time Diana Rigg didn't get nominated for Guest Actress, which is a bit of a bummer since she's always a delight.

Curious to see how the show will fare this year (especially with new players like Mr. Robot and The Americans finally, into the mix).  I will be at the very least surprised if Miguel doesn't win Best Director.  Can't think of anything that would top that episode and how insane it was.

• Love 1

So yeah, if there was any doubt about GoT repeating as drama series champs, I think the six acting nominations can put that to rest. Wow. They also repeated their double directing nominations from last year (and without a ridiculous Miguel Sapochnik snub this time around).

A couple of years ago I would have found the idea of a Kit Harington nomination fairly silly, so it's a testament to how much he's improved that I was actually kind of psyched to see his name pop up.

Not as psyched as I was about Maisie Williams though -- finally! She should have been nominated years ago, and although I (like most people) had a few issues with her storyline this year, her performance was never less than stellar.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Also, I think this is the first time Diana Rigg didn't get nominated for Guest Actress, which is a bit of a bummer since she's always a delight.

Diana Rigg appeared in too many episodes this season to qualify as a guest actress (five out of ten).  You have to appear in less than 50% of episodes to be eligible as a guest, per a rule change in 2015.   It actually got Jason Sudakis disqualified this year after submitting as a guest for "The Last Man on Earth".

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 1
(edited)

*twirls* Emmy Nominee Maisie Williams * twirls*

FINALLY! Maisie could display such a range of ability with Arya lost yet willful while blind, emotional with Lady Crane, kickass against the Waif, finding herself again ("I'm going home") and finally oh-so-sweetly vengeful with Walder Frey...she gave the whole tour from the bottom to the top!

I'm happy with the nominees. E.Clarke did imo her best work since S1 (in terms of emotion, since in terms of kickass her "Dracarys" oh so did it in and took the crowd with her. Everyone or almost remembers this scene and her delivery). My choice would be L.Headey, if only because she is also long overdue for recognition, M.Williams, E.Clarke in that order. The others in the category don't qualify for me (not even Maggie Smith) and I'll be pissed off if a GoT actress doesn't get the win.

P.Dinklage was flawless and if he submitted his last scene with Daenerys, I can see a win. Nevertheless it's so difficult to play "the good guy" and yet K. Harrington makes Jon so relatable imo; he did such a great work for several seasons now, I think he deserves a win.

BUT.

Alfie Allen, Liam Cunningham? How the hell aren't they somewhere? Alfie had minimum dialogues and slayed it everytime, Liam was the MVP this season for me. No one makes righteous heartbreaking anger like my Davos. I could hear Shireen's screams with every word he said during his confrontation with Mel.

NCW also deserved a nod. I hope there will be one for S7 because I have a feeling Jaime's biggest time is to come. Gwendolyn Christie was awesome as Brienne. I'd better not get started about guests because Diana Rigg and Essie Davis...Oh, and as much as I hated Dirty Old Grand Pope Jonathan Pryce was just flawless.

Actually, GoT, should get its own acting categories. And everyone should get it because every actor is imo perfectly cast and at the top of their game. At the very least, I feel that Peter, Kit, Lena and Emilia should contend in the lead category.

Edited by Happy Harpy
48 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Alfie Allen, Liam Cunningham? How the hell aren't they somewhere? Alfie had minimum dialogues and slayed it everytime, Liam was the MVP this season for me. No one makes righteous heartbreaking anger like my Davos. I could hear Shireen's screams with every word he said during his confrontation with Mel.

Neither submitted for consideration.  Not that they'd have been nominated if they had.

(edited)

If I had Melisandre's powers, I would perform a blood magic sacrifice and take away the Five Nominees' bids to get Sophie Turner one.

Dinklage Williams Harington and Clarke didn't impress me at all this season. Headey only occasionally did, and I preferred both Turner and Dormer in the finale. 

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Minneapple said:

She got the best material to work with this season, and I think she did a fairly poor job. Kit Harington ended up doing a better job than her, in their scenes together, which surprised me.

Kit had better material and scenes last season to get an Emmy nom. Maisie's is well deserved. She did a great job with the poor material they gave her this season. And even though Emilia flounders in some scenes (Burning down the khals in episode 4 had some atrocious acting from her) she does wonderful in others - Making Tyrion hand of the king comes to mind.

Peter Dinklage was great in the scene where he releases the dragons. That's him reacting to a ball on a stick. The only problem I have with him is the accent which is still pretty bad. Lena is great as always and the writers end up giving her the best material to work with.

Stephen Dillane remains the GOAT of GOT actors for me. Shame Liam and Carice did not get submitted.

Really hope Sapochnik wins!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, anamika said:

She got the best material to work with this season, and I think she did a fairly poor job. Kit Harington ended up doing a better job than her, in their scenes together, which surprised me.

*Shrug* I mean, I thought Sophie was better than Kit or Emilia. But whatever. YMMV.

I also hope Sapochnik wins. 

• Love 2

I was disappointed the Ramin Djwadi wasn't nominated in the score category, especially for the Light of the Seven.  On the GoT subreddit, there was a bit of discussion on its snub and someone posted that his score was inegible due to using too much existing music, specifically the house themes.  Even the Light of the Seven used some of the main theme music. 

I'm happy for all the actors, directors, and writers who got nominated.  I would have to think that Lena is the favorite in her category with Dame Maggie Smith being her most serious competition due to the inexplicable residual affection for Downton among Emmy voters.  Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams were pleasant surprises due to his lack of campaigning and her rising above less than great material.  MW's scenes with Lady Crane, leaving the House of Black of White, and serving Frey pie were the best she had.  Emilia Clarke had a couple good speech scenes which bring out the best in her acting.

I wonder how much Kit Harington's nomination was for his actual performance on the show and how much was for his very convincing performance in the role of "no, really, I'm dead, they gave me a send-off, and everything" on all the talk shows between seasons.

Actually, I think he probably deserves more credit than he tends to get because if you see him as himself in interviews or on talk shows, you can tell just how much acting he's doing because it really is like a totally different person. Even on those "Inside the Episode" things where he's in costume, he's still so different from the Jon Snow persona that if he starts speaking while they're showing clips before they cut to the talking head, I'm not entirely sure who's talking because his speaking voice, cadence, and inflection are all so different as himself than they are as Jon. It's not just about conveying emotion and saying lines. He really is becoming a different character and being that character in everything he does onscreen. That's more important as an actor than being able to give the big, dramatic speeches. It's nice for someone in a lower-key role without many obvious "Emmy Reel!" moments to get recognized.

• Love 10

Wow.  I don't know what to say.   For the most part I think only Lena was truly deserving of a nod but I think Kit did very good work this season.   I have nothing positive left to say so I won't comment on the other nominations.   Except congrats to PD as well.

I am so happy Maisie finally is getting some recognition. Maisie had some good scenes.  I loved watching all those emotions pass through her face when she was watching the play for the first time.  A girl just needed to haul her ass out of Braavos last season.

And I am very happy for Lena is too.  I thought she should have been nominated earlier.  My favorite Cersei scene is the one where she educates Sansa during the Battle of Blackwater.  Congrats GOT.

• Love 1

Who or what are Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke doing to get nominated so much?  I think the quiet scenes in Essos are laughably bad, especially if you compare them to say what Kit Harrington and Sophie Turner are doing with some fairly low-key stuff.  For example, they were able to make a discussion of who gets the bigger bedroom interesting and imbued with meaning.  Neither Dinklage nor Clarke can handle subtle, or at least not recently.  I also thought Melisandre's actress was surprisingly good this season.  Something is clicking with the Northern cast because Alfie Allen, Kit Harrington, Sophie Turner, and Catrice van Houten got better at acting over the seasons.  

NCW is great but other than a few scenes in The Riverlands that were fairly showy, he had the worst part to play of any actor on the whole show.  He was Gregorstein's hype man.  There is cutthroat as hell competition there for awards and he didn't have the material.

• Love 2

Eh, the competition is actually super weak in the opinion of the those obsessed with following awards. The only two nommed for major awards at the most recent ceremonies are Dinklage and Mendolsohn, though Voight was a Globe nominee the year before that (He's also weak enough to have been dropped last year.). Several think Dinklage could default his way to another victory just because of the lack of enthusiasm with the field.

Re the GOT Emmy noms, I'm thrilled for Kit Harington, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams and Peter Dinklage. KH & MW did their best work this season, especially in the last two episodes. Ditto for Dinklage, specifically the scene after Grey Worm killed two out of three Masters after Dany & her dragons decimated the rest of them and the Golden Face Warriors & Tyrion told the survivor to tell others about what happened that day and the scene in the finale with Dany when she named Tyrion her chief advisor. 

However, I'm disappointed that Sophie Turner, Alfie Allen, Liam Cunningham and Diana Rigg weren't nominated. ST & AA have made Sansa & Theon's growth arcs this season riveting to watch. As Ser Davos, LC is incredible. Diana Rigg is a treasure, to say the least. 

Hope that Miguel Sapochik wins Best Director for "Battle Of the Bastards," which IMO was not only one of the best GOT episodes of the year, it's one of the best GOT episodes ever. 

• Love 1

The Creative Art Emmys are happening this weekend and Game of Thrones already took nine, including Outstanding Stunt Coordination, Outstanding Visual Effects, and Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series.  Obviously, not a guarantee or anything, but it seems like it's on track to making a splash at the big show.  A repeat will not be surprising.

• Love 1

Well I hope Maisie Williams takes her category.  Without watching all of the other nominees, which I don't, I don't know that she was better than  all of them, but I do think she did some of her best work this season, and she was overcoming some less than stellar material.

I'm sort of eh on the rest of the GOT cast nominations.  Emilia Clarke hasn't ever been that impressive to me on this show (though I did like her in that JoJo Mayes adaptation on film) and I didn't really like Lena Headey's choices this season, even though I think she's very talented.  Peter Dinklage, as others have noted, had an extremely lame storyline this year that didn't give him too many chances to shine, and Kit did better work (and had better to work with) last season imo ... although if the battle stuff was considered choreography I would be rooting for him to take that category.  Alas, it isn't. 

Good luck to all of them, regardless of what I think! 

ETA:  Just realized I pretty much do watch almost all of the supporting actress nominees, since I did the painful work of completing Downton Abbey even as horrible as it got the last few seasons.  Now I really think Maisie should take it, because its bullshit if Maggie Smith gets it for all that "witty repartee" shit with cousin Isobel.

Edited by TxanGoddess
  • Love 1

I'll actually be kind of shocked if GoT doesn't repeat as drama series winners. It just feels like such a juggernaut at this point, and no other show in its category this year comes close to its combination of cultural dominance + critical approval. It also helps that pretty much everyone seems to agree that this season was better than last year, where they already won.

The bigger question for me is if the show will break its own record for most wins in a single year (it won twelve last year). I believe it's nominated in five categories at the main show, so it would have to win three to tie the record and four to beat it. I think it's a pretty big favourite for series and directing, and I could definitely see it taking at least one, if not both, of the acting awards (hopefully Lena, but the fact that Supporting Actor doesn't seem to have a frontrunner means Dinklage could easily win a name-check award). Writing seems a bit more unlikely, since "Battle of the Bastards" is much more of of a director's showcase -- I'm still not sure why they submitted that episode over "The Winds of Winter". The latter seems like much of a "writery" episode, what with the scenes of more intimate one-on-one conversations, and of course Cersei's big monologue to Septa Unella. Even "The Door" would have made more sense as a writing submission IMO -- even aside from that emotional gut-punch of an ending, that episode features the Sansa/Littlefinger confrontation, the Dany/Jorah goodbye, and the first scenes of the play in Braavos.

Edited by AshleyN