Type keyword(s) to search

100 Day Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The show is OK, and it's nice to see a different design scheme.   

However, the 100 thing is a joke.    They have to already have the plans and permits in place, and concrete, and materials must be on order, and all of the other trades scheduled.       100 days is not that short a time to build. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The show is OK, and it's nice to see a different design scheme.   

However, the 100 thing is a joke.    They have to already have the plans and permits in place, and concrete, and materials must be on order, and all of the other trades scheduled.       100 days is not that short a time to build. 

Plus, those house walls are prefabricated.

• Love 1

Wow - is no one really watching this?  I tuned in probably for less than 5 minutes right before a reveal.  I didn't know what the concept was so it didn't hold my attention.  The hosts seemed like they were part of a bad SNL parody of House Hunters.  The girl did everything but tap dance and start jazz hands because her blue shoes matched the color of the front door.  He was so excited about this fact I thought he may pee his pants.  A minute or two was all it took for me to need to change the channel.  Based on the lack of comments in the thread, I'm not so sure I need to give it another chance??

• Love 2
On 2/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, NYGirl said:

I've been watching today's marathon;  I'm amazed that they can get a whole house built in 100 days.  I like the couple and it seems like his crew does nice work.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:54 PM, Grrarrggh said:

I've seen several episodes but have nothing to say because each episode is essentially a copy of the others. No unique design at all.

I agree that the episodes are nothing special. But the couple is cute and seem to like one another—that keeps me watching. 

I noticed in one of the recent episodes that Brian was really excited because the home they were about to build was on a lot where another house used to be, so the house already had septic. So most of the homes they build have septic tanks, not city sewer systems? Doesn’t having a septic tank require a lot of maintenance?

44 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

So fun to see Flight Time and Big Easy again. Loved them on Amazing Race. 

Seeing "Globetrotter" in the episode description is the only reason I watched. So great for it to feature Flight Time and then to have Big Easy in on the reveal was icing on the cake.

• Love 2
On 3/1/2021 at 9:57 PM, Grizzly said:

Seeing "Globetrotter" in the episode description is the only reason I watched. So great for it to feature Flight Time and then to have Big Easy in on the reveal was icing on the cake.

Great episode. I liked the Globetrotter and his girlfriend-turned-fiancee. And the home design was one of my favorite. I prefer two-story homes, and the catwalk with the balcony was beautiful.

One concern: they're near a lake? Or was it a different body of water? And it seems their home was one of the first to be built in that area. I just hope the ground is solid and that it isn't prone to flooding. Or sinking. 

• Love 3

I believe they alluded to the lot being on a flood plane. 😂How could it not be?! So they raised it a bit to enjoy the view but not to deactivate flooding (he said). WTAF? Make that make sense.

The house was nice. Not super special, imo. Creating a pocket for those iron doors was impressive, though.

P.S. Brian, you’re a bad actor. No pool? Right. Looked like it was screened in so fewer mosquitoes and alligators. Again, more practical than inspiring.

• Love 1

I do enjoy this show and I’ve been watching with interest because I live on the west coast of the Tampa Bay area where these homes are built. Flooding is an issue for much of our area.

Brian competed on The Amazing Race with his former wife. Also competing on that season of TAR were Flight Time and Big Easy so I guess that’s where their friendship started.

I wasn’t a fan of this home, particularly the front elevation. The front door/entrance was way too small (out of proportion) for the size of the house. It looked like a big, flat yellow slab with a teeny tiny door at the bottom right.

• Useful 1
On 2/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, topanga said:

Doesn’t having a septic tank require a lot of maintenance?

No.  You can have it pumped out if necessary but that's usually only every 5-10 years depending on your family size and use.  Otherwise, nothing to do.

• Love 1

A septic tank does require not using some items in it.   No flushing of anything but septic safe TP (they're standard brands), and not flushing other items, even if they say flushable.     Also, no bleach.    

How often you get it pumped out depends on the local soil conditions, the capacity of the septic system vs. usage.     I also had to get mine serviced and certified (alarm system working, etc.) before sale, but the certificate was good for a year.     

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A septic tank does require not using some items in it.   No flushing of anything but septic safe TP (they're standard brands), and not flushing other items, even if they say flushable.     Also, no bleach.    

While you do have to somewhat careful, the modern ones do not require any special TP nor is there a ban on bleach.  I don't do anything different with mine than I did with a city sewer.  I've been living with one for 6 years, had it pumped recently as a baseline and it wasn't even 1/3 full. But it is the latest and greatest.  However, my sister has had one for 30 years and does nothing special and has never had issues even doing laundry daily.

• Love 1

WTH? I catch the end of a couple’s new home—1 kid but they want more. In Florida, if that helps.😂 Anyway, they see a kid’s room, then a playroom, then an office and then the main bedroom. But the office is around a corner from the office and it also leads directly into the (former known as) master. Where was the hallway?! One room seemed to lead to another. Or, on other shows, a huge problem to fix.

I was interested in the kitchen island/aircraft carrier—one side of it was —-u—- shaped so one little u-side had the microwave, couldn’t see the other. Not sure if it slid out, didn’t seem to be enough room for it. 

Not a fan of Florida. (Pass on entering the Smart Home 2021 drawing, house is in Naples.) *waves to Floridian denizens*

• LOL 1

I'm over this show.    The hosts are always yelling, their clients always end up with the same trendy, over done houses.    I know the other shows always end up with the same designs too, but I don't think the customers really know what they want enough to say what will work the best long term.    It's the same house over and over.   I wonder how many are really spec homes to sell?    

• Love 2
On 5/28/2022 at 5:03 PM, Grrarrggh said:

After watching 5 episodes you know why it is called 100 Day Dream Home instead of 100 Day Dream HomeS. It's the same house over and over and over and over and over.... 

I agree. The episodes tend to blend. But I keep watching because I like the hosts. I like the husband, anyway. Mika is beautiful, but she thinks she’s hot stuff, and she’s always berating her totally cool husband. 

Has anyone watched the two new episodes where Brian and Meka renovate a beachside hotel? I was quite entertained. Reminded me of a mini-"Renovation Island," but this couple gets along a little better than the Baumlers. LOL

Too many colors in the interior of the rooms for my taste, but it's Florida, so colors are to be expected. 

• Like 3

I just watched the first episode last night.  I agree - those motel rooms were way too fussy, but I loved the motel itself and it's location - I would never leave!  

The owners said that their guests loved the Sunshine Inn - I wonder if the families who have probably been coming there for generations will still like it when the rates are raised to cover the costs of the renovations?  And speaking of the owners, Andi sure thought a lot of herself and her ideas.  

Don't get me wrong - the place definitely was in need of a makeover, and opening up the rooms was definitely the right thing to do.  I also liked that they put a pass-through door between some of the rooms (remember (I've only seen the first four rooms) to make them more accessible to larger groups was a smart choice.

I'm not a huge fan of the hosts but maybe they will grow on me.  I've avoided watching their regular show because I just didn't care of them or the concept that much (I would rather my home be built slowly and correctly than jammed together to meet a defined timeline), but I do like a good makeover show (honestly I've missed the Bauemlers (not their fighting) because I love their renovation stories).

• Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, topanga said:

On 5/23/2021 at 12:49 PM, Cetacean said:

While you do have to somewhat careful, the modern ones do not require any special TP nor is there a ban on bleach.  I don't do anything different with mine than I did with a city sewer.  I've been living with one for 6 years, had it pumped recently as a baseline and it wasn't even 1/3 full. But it is the latest and greatest.  However, my sister has had one for 30 years and does nothing special and has never had issues even doing laundry daily.

I noticed in one of the recent episodes that Brian was really excited because the home they were about to build was on a lot where another house used to be, so the house already had septic. So most of the homes they build have septic tanks, not city sewer systems? Doesn’t having a septic tank require a lot of maintenance?

Septic is not a big deal; most country people have it. I’ve had it all my life, and our current one was installed 35 years ago. We’ve never had to pump it out; a proper system takes care of itself. We raised 4 kids, on a farm with all the laundry that entails, no problems. We didn’t buy special toilet paper and flushed tampons, not a problem. And if you have septic, you probably have a well. Much better than over-treated town water.

Anyway, the show. Just started watching repeats of this show, and I enjoy it enough. Don’t understand not having a basement. So useful. Where do people without basements store everything?

Just watched one with a couple with 2 kids that had a 3600 sq ft house (ridiculous!) and they wanted to downsize. But she wanted 3 bedrooms, each with an ensuite. And an office and a craft room and a playroom. They now had a tiny home of 2400 sq ft. Okay, nice “downsizing”. And the island is big enough to land a helicopter. Is that necessary? What’s with all the absurdly massive islands these days? Then the hosts decide to surprise them by putting a Murphy bed in the playroom so it can be a guest room. Well okay, but guests don’t have a bathroom to use since they’re all ensuites. 

• Like 1
On 8/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, Shermie said:

Anyway, the show. Just started watching repeats of this show, and I enjoy it enough. Don’t understand not having a basement. So useful. Where do people without basements store everything?

I don’t think a lot of Florida homes have basements. Something to do with how wet the ground is.