Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Zoey's Extraordinary Neighbor

• Start Topic

Skylar Astin sings opera? Who knew? (Side note: Chrome does not recognize the word "Skylar" and suggested "Skylab" instead. 🛰 )

Did we know Mo was the building manager? (Maybe we did; I tend to miss things when I watch TV.)

Damn, that is a lotta bread.

I'm not a big fan of the whole "gender reveal party" thing but this seems like a good reason to do one (and at least it was only popping a balloon, and not, like, accidentally setting a forest on fire or something).

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

I was working on a project while "watching" this because I was kind of on the fence about continuing with the show (and because I just really want to get this frickin' project done), but I really liked all the different plot lines. This episode succeeded in addressing just about all the issues of my extended family, LOL.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Damn, that is a lotta bread.

On a show about someone hearing other people's inner most thoughts expressed thru song, the thing I find most unbelievable is the lavish spread of food Zoey's company apparently lays out for its employees every day. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

On a show about someone hearing other people's inner most thoughts expressed thru song, the thing I find most unbelievable is the lavish spread of food Zoey's company apparently lays out for its employees every day. 

Google does that.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

I liked all the storylines and songs tonight. The scenes with Zoey’s brother and dad was very sweet and sad, and I will always love hearing Skylar song opera. Glad Mo got his own storyline as well. This show continues to make me smile and cry on a weekly basis.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

It’s not unusual for a Silicon Valley tech company. There have even been attempts to ban workplace cafeterias in San Francisco as a result. 

19 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s not unusual for a Silicon Valley tech company. There have even been attempts to ban workplace cafeterias in San Francisco as a result. 

That really weird, what is the difference between that and a break room with a vending machine. The place were I worked had a table filled with snacks and you just (honor system) paid for what you took.

• Love 2

A great episode from start to finish. Lauren Graham is so fascinating to watch, I adore all scenes with her in it. Her "oh, give it time" line was my favorite moment of the episode, it was so funny 🤣. And her version of wrecking ball was beautiful.

I’m glad they’re moving away from having Zoey in every scene, it helps build a world more. I thought the discussion on how the church should be more inclusive was really great, because that's something my church has also done. I also like how it was more focused on Mo this episode, and as well as Zoey's dad, especially because it's cool to see him talking and moving when he was younger.

• Love 9
(edited)

Zoey's company as an entire bread bar full of croissants and other carb goodies? Please hire me!

One of my Italian teachers LOVED Andrea Boccelli so I totally cracked up when Max burst into work singing Con Te Partirò. And then I had to pause the episode and go listen to the original because I had to hear the entire song (not just the snippet used on the show).

When Zoey's dad started crying at the wedding video, I thought it was because he was sad seeing all that he had lost: being able to talk, dance, etc. When my dad got sick, I started thinking about all the things that he would probably miss so I get why David assumed it was because he wouldn't get to see the grandkid grow up.

Ha, I loved how terrible Zoey was at darts.

And OF COURSE Joan's dogs are named Tom Ford and Hermès.

While I totally understand Mo's fear of being rejected by the members of the choir, it's a lot less likely that would happen at a church in San Francisco. I mean, theoretically it's possible but it's not as likely at a church that is openly supportive of the LGBTQ+ community (many of the churches here have rainbow flags hanging on the outside of the building) because (1) bigoted people who do not approve of LGBTQ+ people are probably not going to join a church that is clearly supportive of the LGBTQ+ community and (2) if they did and were vocal about it, the pastor would not tolerate it.

I don't know how realistic it was that Bonnie came out of her apartment just because Zoey said she knew she wanted to go on vacation, but I'll accept it.

I totally understand Zoey feeling like she was making things worse when she was trying to help, but sometimes you can't see the good you've done right away. Joan being sad while pretending she was great is not uncommon after a breakup. It was cute to send the cake with that note to her though.

20 hours ago, Bulldog said:

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Google does that.

A lot of companies in SF do that now. My husband's friend works at a company in the financial district and they have a ridiculous amount of free food available to them. One day when he went to visit his friend, they had a full on carving station for lunch with prime rib, ham, etc. aka the kind of carving station I'd previously only seen at Easter brunch at fancy hotels (and they also had several other entrees available in addition to the carving station). They also provide breakfast and dinner every day. Even non-tech companies in the Bay Area provide a lot of free food/drinks/perks to their employees.

Songs available on itunes/amazon:

• The Great Pretender - Alex Newell
  • This Little Light of Mine - Alex Newell
  • Wrecking Ball - Lauren Graham
Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Harvey said:

I’m glad they’re moving away from having Zoey in every scene, it helps build a world more. 

It also gives Jane Levy a bit of a break. Being the lead in an hour show is a SLOG.

• Love 6

The reason the food spread seemed so extreme is that the company doesn't seem that big.  A huge cafeteria with amazing food doesn't seem as odd as a giant wall of bread that's just steps from your desk.

I'd weigh eight million pounds if my desk was steps from a giant wall of bread.  I'd have baguettes and pastry's all the time.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, Bulldog said:

It's not that out of the ordinary for SF/Silicon Valley companies. I don't work at a large corporation, I work at a nonprofit, but when we have to give trainings to corporate volunteers, we can't believe all the things they have. Their own chef, and enough food to make Thanksgiving look like child's play. All the food and snacks and drinks you could ever eat or drink. We'd definitely stuff as much as we could in our bags before leaving (we were allowed to). 🤣

And might as well also have a pool table, and mini golf and nap pods and Xbox. Because, work, who needs to do that? #totallynotbitter

• Love 7
1 hour ago, meatball77 said:

The reason the food spread seemed so extreme is that the company doesn't seem that big.  A huge cafeteria with amazing food doesn't seem as odd as a giant wall of bread that's just steps from your desk.

I'd weigh eight million pounds if my desk was steps from a giant wall of bread.  I'd have baguettes and pastry's all the time.

I used to work for the largest general trade book publisher in the world and they have a full cafeteria. They had these muffins that were AMAZING. (Thank God for my 20something metabolism.) The food in the cafeteria was excellent, as a general rule. You had to buy the food in the cafeteria, but I've also worked places with free food. One place had free fruit, another had free snacks, like chips and snack bars and stuff like that. You could just go into the snack room and take whatever.

My accountant has dinner catered for his staff (small firm, like 15 people) during tax season because the hours are long, but that's not quite the same thing.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ShelleySue said:
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:
13 hours ago, Dani said:

That really weird, what is the difference between that and a break room with a vending machine. The place were I worked had a table filled with snacks and you just (honor system) paid for what you took.

Here's an article about it.

It is just a gimmick to get people out of their offices and into restaurants, they wouldn't try to pull this nonsense with a hotel, hospital or school of any size. Very large corporations are usually so spread out or so remote that leaving and returning in the allotted time would be difficult. Also places that have extensive security checks would be problematic. That type of bill would have to be very specific or it will piss off a lot of people.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Bulldog said:

We just get free bagels and muffins on Wednesdays... they're...edible. (And there's coffee and tea and a half-n-half dispenser, but I don't drink coffee and the tea isn't that good; I bring my own). We have a decent cafeteria, but it's not free (but it is subsidized by the company so the prices are relatively low; we also are in a place where going out to lunch isn't feasible for most of the employees, so they have to have something). My parents worked at Bell Labs way back when and they had an awesome cafeteria. 

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don't know how realistic it was that Bonnie came out of her apartment just because Zoey said she knew she wanted to go on vacation, but I'll accept it.

I was thinking the same. I was hoping there wasn't going to be some magical mental-illness-cure-through-song ending. At least she only went as far as up one flight of stairs.

21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was thinking the same. I was hoping there wasn't going to be some magical mental-illness-cure-through-song ending. At least she only went as far as up one flight of stairs.

Well she probably wanted to thank Mo for being so nice to her, especially if Zoey told her that Mo was a little depressed.

• Love 5

I love the show but I loathe gender reveals and the show's take on Bonnie hit me as somewhat ableist (I'll spare you the rant). But I love the characters and the tone of the show. There were just a few cringy moments. 

• Love 6

The Bonnie plot was ticking me off until Bonnie came out and she was Naoko Mori!! I love her. She's been in a lot of things (most recently The Terror about the Japanese internment camps), but my favorite role of hers was Tosh on Torchwood. I hope they keep her around for a while.

• Love 6

I agree with ElectricBoogaloo that there are plenty of churches in S.F.  where Mo would have been comfortable.  There are gay friendly congregations, like MCC and Glide Memorial.  Then there are all the traditional churches that are accepting.  

But we wouldn't have had a plot line for Mo if the writers were being realistic.  Of course, we shouldn't be looking for realism in a show that is based on the lead hearing other people's thoughts through songs that only she can hear. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Darian said:

I love the show but I loathe gender reveals and the show's take on Bonnie hit me as somewhat ableist (I'll spare you the rant). But I love the characters and the tone of the show. There were just a few cringy moments. 

I think I get what you're saying about the ableist angle.  But I don't think Jane initially had any reason to think/know there was any disability, that Bonnie was agoraphobic, etc.  She just heard a lonely person wanting to go out and see the world.  I'm not sure at what point it became clear Bonnie's issues were bigger than that - but I don't remember it happening before she actually opened the door and didn't want to go up on the roof.  So I didn't see it as the disabled person's version of the white savior complex, if that's what you're getting at.

I did think it was an interesting way to introduce a new character, it was a nice slow reveal.  I hope Bonnie sticks around.  I'm perfectly happy with her never leaving the building, but maybe becoming more comfortable around Jane & Mo. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I think I get what you're saying about the ableist angle.  But I don't think Jane initially had any reason to think/know there was any disability, that Bonnie was agoraphobic, etc.  She just heard a lonely person wanting to go out and see the world.  I'm not sure at what point it became clear Bonnie's issues were bigger than that - but I don't remember it happening before she actually opened the door and didn't want to go up on the roof.  So I didn't see it as the disabled person's version of the white savior complex, if that's what you're getting at.

No, not really, though Zoey was pretty slow on the uptake. It's the show unintentionally reinforcing something a lot of people with certain disabling conditions run into a lot: the thought that we're just not trying hard enough and that it should take this or that little thing to get us to do better (not feel better, but do better because clearly we are the problem). It may sound like that can't be true, but as someone visibly disabled. I have dozens and dozens (maybe hundreds; I've been dependent on mobility devices for a long time) of stories of being told I shouldn't need my walker or if I had a better attitude, I wouldn't need a power chair (this from a stranger who turned around in a line at Dunkin Donuts, where I was grinning and vibrating with delight that I was going to get my first pumpkin donut of fall. Yes, I am that woman).

The show wasn't terribly egregious, just wish they had handled it a bit better. At least they didn't have Bonnie suddenly able to run down the street, carefree. I also can't leave the house without some well-meaning soul telling me to try mangosteen or take more Vitamin C. Because it's easy. You just have to want it (going to the roof to see the stars) or do one little thing you're not or smile more. (that's most of the rant I was sparing you all).  

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

Who knew that Skylar Astin could sing opera? Talk about a variety of genres this week! 

I liked getting more focus on Mo this week, as more than Zoeys music teacher and new friend who knows about the thing. I especially liked the scenes in the church and Zoey talking with the pastor, religion can be such a touchy topic, and I think they handled it pretty well. It is interesting to consider a higher power as Zoey is going through this bizarre new experience, where she basically becomes a music based psychic/empath, no matter what the "explanation" actually is, or if we ever find out what is actually going on. 

It does seem kind of weird that Mo didn't go to a church that is specifically LGBTQ friendly, of which there are many (especially in major cities, especially in a city like San Francisco) that specifically advertise and do outreach as LGBTQ friendly, but TV doesn't really seem to have heard of those, or I guess then we wouldn't have a plot. It would have been kind of interesting if Mos problem wasn't people in church accepting them, but that they, on some level, felt like God didn't understand their gender fluidity due to some long hammered in issues from childhood at more conservative churches or something, or was having some other kind of crisis of faith, but I guess this was is a little easier to solve by the end of the episode. 

I was also happy to see more of Zoeys family, especially her sister in law who finally got some good screen time. They all seem really likable and I like the dynamics they have. They have their issues, usually based around their dads illness, but you can tell how much they love each other and enjoy spending time together. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

@Darian, perfectly fine rant.  🙂

I appreciate your perspective. 

I wonder if they'll do a musical number for Bonnie where she is running down the street, free as a bird, only to have the number end and (of course) they never left the building.  Sort of like the imaginary sequence in Glee where the guy in the wheelchair is up and dancing in the mall.  That got a lot of flack and upset a lot of disabled viewers/advocates.

FWIW, mangosteens are my pumpkin donuts.  Unfortunately, they're very hard to come by where I live.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It does seem kind of weird that Mo didn't go to a church that is specifically LGBTQ friendly, of which there are many (especially in major cities, especially in a city like San Francisco) that specifically advertise and do outreach as LGBTQ friendly, but TV doesn't really seem to have heard of those, or I guess then we wouldn't have a plot.

See also: God Friended Me.

Simon is so hot. Every time he's on screen that's the first thing I think.

Zoey needs to learn boundaries with her staff, even/especially since she and Max are friends. Don't be asking your team if they had sex last night, Zoey. Skylar Astin sounded terrific though.

I loved the bickering over the gender reveal. That was a sweet family scene. And I generally think gender reveals are silly but I will totally forgive it here.

• Love 7

I don't understand gender reveals. It's not as if the options are vast. You want to find out? Do. You don't? Don't. To make a big deal about it just screams gift grab to me, or a keep-up-with-the-Joneses type of thing. "If everyone else is doing it, I have to!" UGH.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't understand gender reveals. It's not as if the options are vast. You want to find out? Do. You don't? Don't. To make a big deal about it just screams gift grab to me, or a keep-up-with-the-Joneses type of thing. "If everyone else is doing it, I have to!" UGH.

The woman who started the trend isn't even into them anymore. I always give gender-neutral baby gifts (usually books) so knowing the gender ahead of time makes no difference to me. Someone once told me about going to one and the husband was mad that the baby wasn't the gender he wanted (I forget which one he wanted) and he got mad and kicked over a bunch of decorations, which was equal parts troubling and hilarious to hear about.

However, here it was about making memories for the dad, who may not get to have that many more (is there a prognosis on his illness? They said he might not get to meet the grandchild, so that's only months), so I thought it was a nice gesture for him.

• Love 11
(edited)

On 3/1/2020 at 11:25 PM, Dani said:

I get that. When I worked in Silicon Valley, few tech companies had that kind of spread (cafeterias you had to pay for, sure, but not free). In my last SV job, I worked for a company that put out an amazing breakfast spread, brought in a hot lunch buffet, and had snacks all through the day. As great as it seemed, the purpose was to keep employees on campus rather than going out to lunch. So generous, but with a plan.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:48 AM, meatball77 said:

At said company,  it was a struggle to keep from gaining. Bagels, muffins, doughnuts, cookies, and then some. It was hard, but oh so yummy.

20 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

The Bonnie plot was ticking me off until Bonnie came out and she was Naoko Mori!! I love her. She's been in a lot of things (most recently The Terror about the Japanese internment camps), but my favorite role of hers was Tosh on Torchwood. I hope they keep her around for a while.

Oh, that's who she was. I knew I recognized her and had good feelings about her. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

However, here it was about making memories for the dad, who may not get to have that many more (is there a prognosis on his illness? They said he might not get to meet the grandchild, so that's only months), so I thought it was a nice gesture for him.

I think gender reveals are in general pretty stupid. In this case, however, it seemed really sweet - not just to let him know what gender his grandchild would be - but to give him the big celebration he apparently loves.

I loved the Mo storyline - even though there are plenty of LGBTQ friendly churches in the area. I think this storyline is being presented as a model for young gender fluid people out there who may not be in such accepting communities. I did wonder, though, why they didn't have at least a few grumpy faces in that congregation. I spent years on a committee in my church trying to get that rainbow flag going, to no avail. So I left the church. I have no patience with dithering. It's been ten years or more now, and not only have they finally got the rainbow flag - they have a gay minister with a fiance. And we're in a very conservative rural community. So, lots of progress even though it took a long time.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 11
18 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, I get it. I was ranting in a more general way, heh.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

My cousin's daughter (who lives several states away) did the cake with blue (or pink) M&Ms inside for her parents when they went to visit a few months before she had her baby, but she and her husband already knew it was a boy. And it was just, like, six of them around the kitchen table. They took video of my cousin cutting the cake open and the blue candy spilling out and posted it on Facebook. That's about the highest level of "gender reveal party" I would ever want to see...

• Love 2

I fell asleep during the gender reveal part (was it right after a commercial?) and haven't re-watched, but I'm surprised those are even a thing anymore. I mean, what if the "boy" or "girl" decides to not identify with that gender? I'm old enough to remember baby showers when nobody knew what the gender was and almost all newborn clothes were mint green, yellow, or white. It's not necessary to have a gender reveal to do something to include the grandpa in the experience. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It's not necessary to have a gender reveal to do something to include the grandpa in the experience. 

I thought it was more about giving the grandpa a moment to celebrate the grandchild he may not ever meet. If they waited until the baby was born there would be a chance that Mitch would never find out the gender or wouldn’t have the mobility to celebrate at all. This could be the only opportunity they have to throw a party for the baby when he can be there. 

54 minutes ago, Dani said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

It's not necessary to have a gender reveal to do something to include the grandpa in the experience. 

I thought it was more about giving the grandpa a moment to celebrate the grandchild he may not ever meet. If they waited until the baby was born there would be a chance that Mitch would never find out the gender or wouldn’t have the mobility to celebrate at all. This could be the only opportunity they have to throw a party for the baby when he can be there

So nobody just does baby showers for pregnant mothers anymore?

(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So nobody just does baby showers for pregnant mothers anymore?

I’m sure plenty of people do although I’ve never been to a baby shower that included the grandpa. I suppose they could have thrown together a quick shower but my main point was that Mitch could decline very rapidly. They really can’t count on him being able to meaningfully participate in any future event.

I find gender reveal to be annoying as a rule but this one seemed to be more about Mitch than the parents. For me that makes it more sweet than attention seeking. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 2:52 AM, AnimeMania said:

Employees aren't patronizing local restaurants because they eat for free at work.  Bad for the local economy.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, AnimeMania said:

It is just a gimmick to get people out of their offices and into restaurants, they wouldn't try to pull this nonsense with a hotel, hospital or school of any size. Very large corporations are usually so spread out or so remote that leaving and returning in the allotted time would be difficult. Also places that have extensive security checks would be problematic. That type of bill would have to be very specific or it will piss off a lot of people.

Hotels, hospitals and schools don't have lavish free food. People still venture out to restaurants.  And people who didn't have time to go out would order loads of delivery from local restaurants if they didn't have copious free food. That's the argument, anyway.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did wonder, though, why they didn't have at least a few grumpy faces in that congregation.

Mo's fellow singers would know, but I don't see how anyone in the general congregation would know that Mo wasn't a woman (he looked beautiful and sings like a soprano) unless they recognized his voice from previous performances.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 3/2/2020 at 7:07 PM, Darian said:

It would've been better if Bonnie had let Zoey in (Or just opened the door to talk to Zoey!) - get to know her, and invited Mo in too. That probably would've also been a miracle in Mo's eyes, given that it seemed like their communication was primarily through the door.

This show is so fun and I want that bread bar in my house.

9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I also do not understand gender reveals - but in this case, it makes sense given the grandpa-to-be's progressive terminal illness, where he gets to learn the gender of his future grandchild, just in case he isn't there when the kid is born. It probably also helped everyone to have a distraction for the day.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Mo's fellow singers would know, but I don't see how anyone in the general congregation would know that Mo wasn't a woman (he looked beautiful and sings like a soprano) unless they recognized his voice from previous performances.

Churches I've been to, you know who is the choir, and more particularly, you know who the soloists are. You also know the individuals from fellowship after services. You see, hear, and interact with them every Sunday. It might take a minute to recognize him, but they would know.

• Love 3
On 3/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, Empress1 said:

I have an uncle who has PSP and the knowledge that we have zero clue how fast the disease will progress because there's no standard progression of symptoms made this scene feel right on the nose. PSP is rare enough that it's frequently mis-diagnosed as things as broad as ALS to Parkinson's to cognitive decline. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, suzsqueak said:

I have an uncle who has PSP and the knowledge that we have zero clue how fast the disease will progress because there's no standard progression of symptoms made this scene feel right on the nose. PSP is rare enough that it's frequently mis-diagnosed as things as broad as ALS to Parkinson's to cognitive decline. 

I wonder if there are enough people watching and posting here with family members with similar afflictions to warrant a thread to chat about them? For example, my oldest daughter visited my mother today and got really excited when she spoke 6 words. 

• Love 3
On 3/2/2020 at 5:13 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was cute to send the cake with that note to her though.

Can someone with better eyes than mine tell me what the note said?

On 3/2/2020 at 11:22 PM, buckboard said:

But we wouldn't have had a plot line for Mo if the writers were being realistic.

They could have come up with another plot for Mo, though.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:10 PM, chaifan said:

So I didn't see it as the disabled person's version of the white savior complex, if that's what you're getting at.

It was the SHOW's version of the white savior complex, even if that wasn't Zoey's initial motivation. It also seemed inaccurate, to me, in terms of: why would her being agoraphobic mean she never spoke, not even to thank Mo for delivering her mail? She could leave a note, she could talk through the door or on the phone, she could invite people into her apartment.

I'd like to see more disabled characters, where their stories are focused on THEM, and not on the saviors non-disabled people fantasize about.

And I'd like to see characters with disabilities who have stories that are not about the disability itself, or getting over it, or being rescued by some do-goody stranger.

And a little more dimension would also be nice. We never saw her own point of view. They never shot a scene of her inside her apartment. She was a prop for the rest of the ensemble.

I realize that with "case of the week" shows, there are often prop characters. But the other people Zoey helps have all been regulars, they all had more development before Zoey swoops in, and their stories have not been based on stereotyping -- except for Mo's this week, which has already been discussed.

It rankles because it's almost the only representation disabled people ever get, and it reinforces a really big problem in how people in the real world tend to treat us.

--

I hated that the brother leapt to a conclusion about why dad was crying, instead of asking him. They  have established a communication system and they don't use it? That itself is enough to make a person cry. But other than that, I agree that the family loving each other and supporting each other and wanting to spend time together is nice.

Mitch gets more dimensions and breaks more stereotypes than Bonnie, but it's still awfully convenient that the disabled character is tragic and mostly used as a vehicle for the others to develop and express themselves.

I'll take it. It's better than nothing. But we have such a long way to go.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I hated that the brother leapt to a conclusion about why dad was crying, instead of asking him. They  have established a communication system and they don't use it? That itself is enough to make a person cry. But other than that, I agree that the family loving each other and supporting each other and wanting to spend time together is nice.

Yeah, I was thinking the son wanted advice about how to be a good father and the father was telling him in the video and the son turns the video off as soon as his dad starts talking.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'd like to see more disabled characters, where their stories are focused on THEM, and not on the saviors non-disabled people fantasize about.

And I'd like to see characters with disabilities who have stories that are not about the disability itself, or getting over it, or being rescued by some do-goody stranger.

And a little more dimension would also be nice. We never saw her own point of view. They never shot a scene of her inside her apartment. She was a prop for the rest of the ensemble.

I realize that with "case of the week" shows, there are often prop characters. But the other people Zoey helps have all been regulars, they all had more development before Zoey swoops in, and their stories have not been based on stereotyping -- except for Mo's this week, which has already been discussed.

It rankles because it's almost the only representation disabled people ever get, and it reinforces a really big problem in how people in the real world tend to treat us.

But then the writers would actually have to talk to someone with a disability! They can't have that! </sarcasm>

I wish writers would be more inclusive - they have been a bit more inclusive in recent years and have had characters with disabilities played by disabled actors (Ansel in Stumptown, JJ in Speechless, and Matilda in Everything's Gonna Be Okay are the first three to come to mind), but there is still a while more to go.

• Love 1

"All I see is a single lady texting an engaged man before nine am."

I loved the pairing of the Rosie the Riveter retro look with that soft, pretty cover of The Platters. 

Fun song choice but that wasn't opera. It had none of the proper support or vocal power.

Loved Zoey's umbrella and her bright yellow raincoat. I wish this show was a little more cartoony like Ugly Betty or a Bryan Fuller show because I sense that there are people on the creative team who would have fun with that. At least in the costume department.

I thought the first Bonnie song (Margaritaville) was Kokomo. And then they did do Kokomo! Do all those songs sound the same or is it just me?

I find it funny that they keep giving Lauren Graham's character pedestrian white girl radio pop like Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus. It fits her sort of "Lean In" character. I predict that in future episodes, she'll sing Pink and Kelly Clarkson. I feel like this character would read so differently played by Carmen Cusack.

I really liked this storyline with Mo. I feel like there are a lot of storylines with openly hostile prejudice but not storylines where this kind of open acceptance (I mean, it is San Francisco) is still hard to trust because of baggage and past experience. Mo makes a valid point that even if the pastor is accepting, he doesn't know what reception he's going to get from everyone in the choir and anyone who might be in the audience. And taking that risk is scary when you've been hurt before.

I love Zoey's mom being perceptive enough to step in when it comes to Simon. Maybe it's the red-haired heroine but it was giving me Easy A vibes. I like that her dialogue seems to fit what we know about her character and doesn't just sound like the writers using her as a mouthpiece. 

I mean, I knew Alex could turn it out but it was still great to hear Mo's final version of "This Little Light of Mine."

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think I just accept that this show is going to move a little quickly because they don't know if they're getting renewed and they only have a 12 episode first season. So, for example, Peter Gallagher sings in the pilot and they immediately find a way for Mitch to communicate instead of saving it as a big moment either halfway through the season or even as a season finale. Because, if the show doesn't come back, then Gallagher was completely wasted. On the other hand, no, it didn't quite ring true to me as someone with agoraphobic tendencies. Not every agoraphobe is Howard Hughes in The Aviator but I side-eyed the idea that she was sitting in her house fully dressed. At least they didn't have her wearing noticeable makeup or false eyelashes (you never know with Hollywood). 

My most generous interpretation is that no one has ever really tried to reach out and tempt her out of her apartment before. Apparently she is not conducting any kind of therapy through the phone or her computer. I feel like the heart songs are about deeper emotions. So the way Joan's resentment of her husband was buried at first and Simon was avoiding dealing with his feelings about his father's death, I don't think we were supposed to think Bonnie was in her apartment dreaming of a tropical vacation. But maybe having someone repeatedly reach out and offer baby steps in whatever capacity Bonnie felt that she could manage was the push she needed to open the door and try. It's very easy to feel hopeless and/or to find a false sense of safety in unhealthy behaviors because you've forgotten how to want something enough to overcome whatever is keeping you stuck. This is not to say mental illness magically vanishes because you want it enough or try harder. But you can certainly be motivated to find coping mechanisms and ways to work around your issues. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Not every agoraphobe is Howard Hughes in The Aviator but I side-eyed the idea that she was sitting in her house fully dressed.

I'm not sure why being afraid to go outside equals not wanting to keep clothed. While not exactly agoraphobic - these days I'm in my house all the time. And I am always fully clothed, except for bedtime, and then it's pjs.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Not every agoraphobe is Howard Hughes in The Aviator but I side-eyed the idea that she was sitting in her house fully dressed.

I haven’t rewatched this episode but I thought she was waiting and listening for Zoey when she came out. I saw that scene as her building herself up to venture out so her being fully dressed made sense.