Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E02: Auditions Part 2

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

In Savannah, the judges take to the streets as one Idol hopeful sings for her life, while the Philadelphia Eagles cheer team visits the D.C. auditions as one of their own goes in front of the judges. In Los Angeles, another hopeful unleashes her love for sardines with an original song. An emergency in Sunriver results in a visit from local firefighters who save the day, then celebrate with a victory song alongside the judges. Plus, more heartfelt stories and extraordinary voices from across the nation are unveiled as singers vie for their spot in Hollywood.

Jovin Webb singing "Whipping Post" by The Allman Brothers!  ❤️

The way that Katy Perry loved that last female singer with the original song so much.  For me, she is such a huge improvement over judges like Kara who hated other women.  I'm really happy with these 3 judges.  

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Jovin Webb singing "Whipping Post" by The Allman Brothers!  ❤️

The way that Katy Perry loved that last female singer with the original song so much.  For me, she is such a huge improvement over judges like Kara who hated other women.  I'm really happy with these 3 judges.  

He was so good. Him and the first woman who performed tonight, Cyniah. I'm rooting for those two. 

That girl with all the half-siblings. Wow. I love that they were there to support her.

And then sardine lady. "I think bringing stinky fish into the room probably didn't help my chances." Really, ya don't say? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

This program should be called:

"The Lionel Richie Show with guest stars Katy Perry and Luke Bryan!!!!"  (Featuring a Few Wannabe's With a LOT of Backstories!!) 

What did we see--- about 8 or 9 actual contestants? I had it taped and ff through some of them, it could have been more.  

• Love 6

Katy Perry had a jacket inspired by the Conner family's couch apghan.

They used to have bad auditions too.  I wonder if they got sued for public embarrassment.  All the auditions were good last night.  No Clay Aiken but a voice like his only occurs once in a generation, if that often.

Was it the guy from Louisiana who had very bad teeth?  Surely a cosmetic dentist will offer to 'fix him' before he goes very far in the competition,

I was wanting to go to bed last night but kept telling myself 'Just one more' audition,  I have it taped so will watch the rest today.  It looks like a great season coming up.

• Love 2

I actually thought the girl who Katy hugged was going to get a no. Her high notes were very screechy. 

I liked the girl who overcame drug addiction. Kind of wish they had sent her husband through too, even if it was just for moral support. She seemed kind of fragile. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, OLynn33 said:

Sardine girl is five plus minutes of my life I'm never getting back. Not even remotely funny and actually a little disturbing.

Well, sardine girl did get her 5 minutes of fame via this episode. Just think, she has 10 more minutes coming.

I wonder if they were getting more bad auditions than good ones so quit showing them, or quit showing more of them. So the prank people would quit coming.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's the Disney influence or just new producers, but I would say there's just less interest in the ridicule aspect overall. The flip side is that there are hardly any "not quite there but keep trying" rejections anymore, either.

• Love 5

I think "Disney influence" is a way to put it that I wouldn't have thought up, but agree. It's supposed to be nice, safe, inspirational/aspirational viewing. And I'm glad to not have the wholly humiliating ones anymore. I'd like to see a little more variety than what we're getting though, because what good is a singing competition where it's all just mopey backstories? 

(Well, don't look to NBC, because they are prepping their mopey backstory packages instead of sports for the Olympics. Never thought I'd miss Fox's obtuse brashness.) 

• Love 5

Simon brought the snark. People tuned in for his scathing remarks, and praise, too, as he has great standing in the business side of Show Business.

Without Simon, we just have three singers as judges. Better they should avoid the caustic in their comments. 

• Love 3

I swear, why can't these judges just listen to the contestants sing, give their critique and hand off the golden ticket or not and quit all their foolishness?  I guess the producers think all that carrying on in between singers is entertainment, but I'm sick of it.    Maybe if I liked those three more, I wouldn't mind as much.  But they all get on my nerves.    I'll take Keith, Harry and JLo any day ( and I'm not a fan a JLo, believe me).   At least they gave some constructive feedback and weren't jumping up to comfort/hug every other singer that walked through the door.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, sas616 said:

I swear, why can't these judges just listen to the contestants sing, give their critique and hand off the golden ticket or not and quit all their foolishness?  I guess the producers think all that carrying on in between singers is entertainment, but I'm sick of it.    Maybe if I liked those three more, I wouldn't mind as much.  But they all get on my nerves.    I'll take Keith, Harry and JLo any day ( and I'm not a fan a JLo, believe me).   At least they gave some constructive feedback and weren't jumping up to comfort/hug every other singer that walked through the door.

Agree!  I think last night the judges had more screen and voice time than the contestants by far.  They all think they are sooo cute.  I don't tune in to watch American Idol Judges.  And do some judging you three! Quit all the 'nurturing'.  These people should come into this show prepared to do what they do best and if their best isn't good enough then I don't want them on the show.  I don't want anyone passed to see if they can learn what to do in a few months and THEN be good enough for Hollywood.  The girl who sang pitchy inside also sang pitchy outside in front of the group.  Simon would have said,'' Sorry.  Not good enough. "  Instead she was told to go home and work on it some more.  Like a few months is going to fix it. 

I'm cranky because I miss the old American Idol.  This Disney version is so predictable! 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, stcroix said:

The girl who sang pitchy inside also sang pitchy outside in front of the group.  Simon would have said,'' Sorry.  Not good enough. "  Instead she was told to go home and work on it some more.  Like a few months is going to fix it. 

And then they asked if she should go through after performing in front of the group...I mean, what do you think a crowd of people that were just singing and clapping along will say? I didn't mind her, I think she had potential, but yeah, that was an awkward way to deal with that.

It's also weird how some people will get these second chances like this and others, they say no, and that's it. It makes me understand why some people who get turned down get frustrated, because they see other people getting a second chance and think maybe that could be them. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sas616 said:

I agree 100%. I love Lionel Richie as an artist but this show makes me dislike him just a little bit because of all the annoying antics. The three of them together are insufferable and mostly useless as judges. How many times during auditions does Katy tell someone they are “definitely top ten?” Way more than actually ten which just drives me crazy. Luke seems mostly disinterested a lot of the time - not in a rude way but in a “I’m just along for the ride” kind of way. 
They’ve honestly ruined this show for me. 

• Love 2

They don't feel like auditions so much as prepackaged little introduction videos for the contestants that have already been chosen to go through on the basis of their story as much as for their talent.

Last week someone mentioned in a post about how the girl who was obsessed by the bachelor was greeted by him when she got her ticket. So clearly, everyone in the room knew she was going through before she sang a note. Heck, maybe she knew, too, and it's acting on her part as well.

I don't want a prepackaged show, I want the American Idol I used to know and like a lot.

• Love 10

Is it bad that my main takeaway from this episode was "thank God Broadway girl didn't make it!"?

I did like Jovin, he was my favorite for this episode

I also miss having them show bad auditions-it kind of takes some of the fun/suspense out of it if pretty much everyone shown makes it through.

I also agree with other posters' comments about too many judges' antics-it's annoying.

I kind of worry about Hannah, the stress of Hollywood Week might not be good for her or that relationship...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I also agree with other posters' comments about too many judges' antics-it's annoying.

The longer this show drags on, the more I miss Simon.  

The way the "judges" carry on, one would think that Alejandro had been the winner last year instead of Laine.  

On 2/23/2020 at 10:52 PM, stcroix said:

"The Lionel Richie Show with guest stars Katy Perry and Luke Bryan!!!!"  (Featuring a Few Wannabe's With a LOT of Backstories!!) 

I think that Katy sees it more like "The Katy Perry Show!!! with Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan"

I watch for the singing competition, not for the sad or inspirational backstories.  I wish they would stop. There was one backstoried contestant in particular on this episode that seemed to come in well rehearsed to play it up for the feels.  

• Love 4
On 2/26/2020 at 4:00 PM, peachmangosteen said:

This is all why I fast forward through everything but the singing. 

That gives you a lot of free time since the singing is about 10 minutes total.

I'm guessing all the sob backstories will be shown over and over again through the season, and the judges will become more and more the focus. Like America's Got Talent for singers only.

• Love 1