Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Communication Breakdown

• Start Topic

On 2/27/2020 at 10:53 PM, kicotan said:

I just ran across another reason Jeanette is soooooo insistent that Jazz attend Harvard....Pomona didn’t make the list of schools that provide for transgender medical needs-hormones, etc. in their student health insurance plan.

https://www.campuspride.org/tpc/student-health-insurance/

I'm not sure that would matter if Jazz is still covered under her parents' insurance and doesn't need to buy the schools' coverage.

• Love 4

Late to the party.  I used to like Jazz, I really did. Now.... not so much. She shows such little empathy towards others. Why is she is so busy? She is done with high school, doesn't have a traditional job, has few if any responsibilities at home, the Drag Show is a TLC plot device. I save this show till weekends and then I ff through it. May be done. 

• Love 3

Jojo is very cute. But why is she not in therapy? If she has issues so severe that she has attempted or thought of attempting suicide, she should be under the continuing care of a mental health professional. A boob job is not going to help.

Jojo is also very, very thin. Of course she has small breasts; you need body fat to have breasts! Her mom and grandma are both average to a little chunky, so I suspect she will gain weight as she gets older, and the breast cup size will take care of itself.  To get big breasts on such a small frame will look silly and weight gain over time will change the look.

I work with a woman who had implants and it isn't a one-time deal. She's had to have them replaced twice and she is dismayed by the scarring (which has gotten worse with each surgery). Surgery is by its very nature an invasive process and I hate how it is pushed on this program.

Before even discussing surgery, I would ask her to (1) be getting regular therapy for her self-image issues and depression, and (2) see a bra fitting expert and get a really good figure-enhancing bra (expensive, but nothing compared to the cost of surgery).

• Love 11

Drag is a theatrical art form. Drag artists pride themselves on their look and on their performance. It isn't my preferred entertainment, but, having seen a few drag shows in my life, I can say that these artists take their art seriously and work hard to perfect their act.

A drag show is not family members wearing wigs and prancing around. That's summer camp variety show stuff and no one is going to pay to see it -- much less pay so much that they raise an astonishing $15,000.  And a week before the show, they don't even have a venue or a headliner? That makes no sense. Why did Jazz say that this was the only thing she "knows how to do?" Obviously she doesn't know how to do it. If they make any money at all (rather than lose money), it will be because the show's producers stepped in and made it happen.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 2/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, Lesia said:

I thought getting a vagina was going to be the answer to all her issues. Why would she have anxiety? Careful what you wish for...

Because jazz needs therapy not surgery or hormone blockers

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Luchy said:

A drag show is not family members wearing wigs and prancing around. That's summer camp variety show stuff and no one is going to pay to see it -- much less pay so much that they raise an astonishing $15,000.  And a week before the show, they don't even have a venue or a headliner? That makes no sense. Why did Jazz say that this was the only thing she "knows how to do?" Obviously she doesn't know how to do it. If they make any money at all (rather than lose money), it will be because the show's producers stepped in and made it happen.

Exactly plus I think it could be seen as making fun of drag queens.

A wig and make-up on a hairy legged man clodhopping around in higheels and presenting it as a drag show seems kind of disrespectful to me.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, stacyasp said:

Because jazz needs therapy not surgery or hormone blockers

I wouldn't necessarily say she didn't/doesn't need hormone blockers or surgery...To me that sort of implies a lack of acceptance that she's a trans woman. But yeah, she needed, and continues to need serious therapy with a therapist that is highly trained in trans issues. That's a no-brainer at this point.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly plus I think it could be seen as making fun of drag queens.

A wig and make-up on a hairy legged man clodhopping around in higheels and presenting it as a drag show seems kind of disrespectful to me.

So, exactly the reasons Noelle said she doesn't like drag shows.

• Love 9

I thought Jazz graduated high school a year ago and then delayed college for a gap year. But now all of a sudden she is still in high school a year after graduation?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ucross said:

I thought Jazz graduated high school a year ago and then delayed college for a gap year. But now all of a sudden she is still in high school a year after graduation?

Not sure how far behind filming is. Yes,  she graduated high school May/June 2019, so this is her gap year I believe. 

Really thought Jazz was going to pick Pomona.   Pressure from Jeanette was surely a part of Jazz choosing Harvard . Jeanette just wants to brag she’s got a kid in Harvard....then keeps gaslighting Jazz that she’s a fragile mess. What a horrible helicopter mom bitch Jeanette is

• Love 4
On 2/26/2020 at 11:03 AM, Granny58 said:

So any parent would be proud to say they have a child going to Harvard.  Guess her brothers and sister are just shit then?  

It would be interesting to know where Greg and Jeanette graduated from. They should be proud if Jazz went to UF like the siblings, as it is a top notch school and is hard to get into.

On 2/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Otter said:

Actually, it's a moot point  A surgeon puts him/herself at risk with the FDA if an enhancement surgery is performed on someone so young.  18 minimum for saline, 21 minimum for silicone unless there's a severe deformity.  And "I'm small" isn't a deformity.  No reputable surgeon would consent.  

He explained that a diagnosis of gender dysphoria allows them to perform the surgery earlier.  But yeah; Jojo looks fine (don't they still make padded bras?), and how big your breasts grow has a lot to do with how fat you become.  I was also a stick person at 15 and struggled to hit 100 pounds all through my 20s.  Not a problem now, and my breasts grew accordingly.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, kicotan said:

I’m not for sure but I don’t think jojo went on the puberty blockers that Jazz was on before she started the estrogen regimen.  That alone changes the potential of feminine characteristics when the estrogen regimen is introduced.  If that is incorrect, I apologize.

They go on puberty blockers first, then estrogen later, so both had the same "treatment"; it's just that Jazz gained weight (boobs are mostly fat), and Jojo might, too (or might decide against transitioning). 

Team Jojo Grandma.

I assume the reason it was so necessary to get her to agree is because she was expected to pay for the procedure!  After all, they called her the family matriarch, which I assume translates to Ms. Moneybags.

Edited by all4mom2