Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Seana's Story

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

American Reality TV is far from real.  It’s just for entertainment.

The Brit show Fat Doctor is more realistic.

and those patients seem to be several hundred pounds less than our American ones.

24 minutes ago, Fig Newton said:

I personally can not blame her mother for kicking her out. The time was overdue. I feel that as an adult, the mother no longer is responsible to provide for her daughter. Seana made ZERO attempt to help herself. At all! She is a bible of excuses for absolutely everything. C'mon now, she lost the damn diet sheet how many times?? And never, on her own accord thought to contact Dr. Now? She had Derrickus and her mother direct her to call him, but no....she was SCARED. Her tactic at self-avoidance.

I am not even sure what I think about this episode anymore.  I first watched it late on Wed night and was scrolling on my phone. Then I read thru the live chat and realized I had missed a lot so I forced myself to re-watch it.  Because Seana was so big, I didn't notice at first how large the mother was, and Derrikus is rather overweight himself.  At first, I thought his job was more to check on Seana and report back to mom that Seana was still alive.  Other than that, there really wasn't much point to him.  Seana was pretty mobile due to her youth and was still capable of taking care of herself if she wanted to.  I did notice that she seemed to get worse and worse as each month passed with the exception of the month that she lost weight and the last month where she is in the pool. It seems like knowing her lack of progress and her depression that maybe Dr Now and staff could have been more encouraging the time she actually lost and given her more positive reinforcement to stick to the changes she had made.  He did seem to realize she needed a lot of extra help.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, nokat said:

Why is pizza such a running theme through all of these shows, including Seana? With the ease that you can order food, why is it so many times pizza? 

Not to mention it's chewy, doughy delivery pizza, not even the good stuff!

ETA: I think because it's so easy to get, along with equally unhealthy dough/batter based appetizers and desserts. With the smartphone apps that are available, you don't even have to talk to anyone except the poor sod that brings it to your house. I think it was Whitney on MBFFL who had several apps on her phone so she wasn't ordering from the same place consecutively.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, nokat said:

Why is pizza such a running theme through all of these shows, including Seana? With the ease that you can order food, why is it so many times pizza? 

I think in many of the places that TLC finds people pizza may well be the most available food to order.  That would not be true in KC, but I think some of the others are from much smaller communities.   Also of all the food you can order, I suspect pizza is the cheapest per bite.   Okay, I did make that up,  but I do think pizza probably is usually the cheapest food and unlike Chinese you can eat it fast because it can be eaten with the fingers.  Also in most of these scenes, TLC is probably paying for it, and they are probably cheap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I think in many of the places that TLC finds people pizza may well be the most available food to order.  That would not be true in KC, but I think some of the others are from much smaller communities.   Also of all the food you can order, I suspect pizza is the cheapest per bite.   Okay, I did make that up,  but I do think pizza probably is usually the cheapest food and unlike Chinese you can eat it fast because it can be eaten with the fingers.  Also in most of these scenes, TLC is probably paying for it, and they are probably cheap.

As I've said before, I'm from the Chicago area and the pizza these people eat looks awful. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I have a friend who is a nutritionist who has been saying for 20 years that pizza delivery should be illegal because it kills. She is like angry at pizza and blames it for why we have an obesity problem. (She says this while chain smoking, lol.) And I swear, I think after watching this show for so long that I now have a sad reaction whenever I see a pizza box or delivery car. I have a neighbor who eats a LOT of pizza, evidently, because he stacks the empty boxes by his trash cans, and all I can think when I see them is how sad he must be - and I don't know him, lol. Could be happy AF. But this show has made me associate pizza with sadness. 

Finding out that there was more going on here makes sense. Old Cricket's affect was flatter than Seana's — I assumed when I watched that Cricket was medicated or just a really bad actor. Couldn't figure out which. Maybe both?

And Seana has kids? Even if they are in Miss Hannigan's orphanage, I think they're better off without Seana and Grandma Cricket. Can you imagine the kids every day in school: Mom lost our homework. We found it again. Then she lost it again. She's afraid you're gonna yell at her...

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

The only Facebook page I saw just had pictures. What did you see that changed your mind?

To me this page just didn't seem like one that a severely depressed, childlike adult would post.  There is nothing on it that indicates she doesn't know her way around the internet.  And the pics are just so bizarre.  I find it hard to believe this person is the same as the one we saw on the show.  She isn't shy and doesn't look at all like she's afraid of her own shadow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I wondered whether he was so drunk he thought the gas tank opening was an ash tray.  He and Mama got into a physical altercation because there was no dealing with him.  She was fighting with him to keep him away from the gas tank?????

I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense.  Was there any indication that the father was an alcoholic?  If he was. I wonder why the court would allow him partial custody.  And why would Cricket think nothing of sending her off to spend the summer with this glittering jewel of a parent?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

“Somehow I need to figure out how to do it - how to lose 50 lbs.”

If only there was a diet plan, and resources that were readily available online. Sadness. 

After the FB page. Yeah, more TLC frauding here. 

12 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense.  Was there any indication that the father was an alcoholic?  If he was. I wonder why the court would allow him partial custody.  And why would Cricket think nothing of sending her off to spend the summer with this glittering jewel of a parent?

Cricket seemed like a glittering jewel herself. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, Dittohead said:

To me this page just didn't seem like one that a severely depressed, childlike adult would post.  There is nothing on it that indicates she doesn't know her way around the internet.  And the pics are just so bizarre.  I find it hard to believe this person is the same as the one we saw on the show.  She isn't shy and doesn't look at all like she's afraid of her own shadow.

Heh, this reminds me of my sister. If you saw her Instagram and Facebook, you'd think she was the most well-adjusted and happiest person on earth who easily uses technology. The real story is that she learned how to use a photo editing app and learned how to upload photos — and honest to god the rest of it is foreign to her. She clicks on suspicious things, thought the only way to "get rid" of an email was to open it...don't get me started on the 4000000 apps she never closes out on her phone, lol. Maybe, like my little sister, Seana puts 0 effort into things unless they are easy and will somehow get her more attention. I have such mixed feelings toward this one because she sure is turning out to be super shady, but I feel like with mama Cricket and car-explosion dad she never had a chance. 

As much as I enjoy the snark, when I watch this show, I am REALLY rooting for these folks to go the distance. And being a veteran watcher of this shit fest, I can usually tell 20 minutes in how it's going to go (though I love being surprised) but I rarely will just turn it off and not watch the end. I always hope that the person will succeed at the last minute and we'll get more than a parting park walk or gym shot. This one felt like homework. Took me 4 times to watch the whole thing. And I just don't know WTF Seana will become. I don't see good things. I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by Stiggs
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Stiggs said:

And Seana has kids? Even if they are in Miss Hannigan's orphanage, I think they're better off without Seana and Grandma Cricket. Can you imagine the kids every day in school: Mom lost our homework. We found it again. Then she lost it again. She's afraid you're gonna yell at her...

Thank you. This made me laugh out loud at my desk at work.

• Love 3
On 2/27/2020 at 12:29 PM, dahling said:

They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel with participants this season, if they were left to cobble together 2 hours of "show" from the non-event of Seana. I fear for the rest of the season. 

There's so much more going on here than  we were shown. I very much suspect relapsed drug use was behind Seana's mom kicking her to the curb so abruptly.  She's one spring short of a cuckoo clock for putting her clearly depressed and developmentally delayed daughter on a plane to Houston with no place to live, not a soul in the world to support her, and no plan. "You got this!"  WTF, mom. She doesn't got anything. 

Dr. Now continues his path to sainthood.  "I see you are alone, so move to Houston so we can help you."  How many other losers decided to move to Houston before being accepted into the program, and were read the riot act?  He's extremely insightful and is able to tailor his treatment to the person instead of one size fits all.  I love that he offered to help find her a place to live, and I wish she would have taken him up on the group home offer, just to help her meet some other people. Living alone in Houston is not what she needs.

Loved Dr. Now's disdain at Derrickus's ridiculous preening over how he was in charge of Seana's diet, cooking, and housecleaning. 

Mumble, mumble, mumble. My husband's cousin has a lower lip stud and it creates a weird lisp from an otherwise intelligent sounding young woman. Turns out that 2 lower lip studs make a lisp twice as bad (go figure). 

I think you're on to something @dahling when it comes to drug use. Do you or anyone else remember, after mom kicked her out of the nest, Seana mumbling something about "doing other things" to make herself feel better other than eating but those things didn't work either? As I recall, this was during the scene of her lumbering between the washer and dryer complaining about how "hard" the whole process was. There was just something about how she said "other things" that set off alarm bells in my head.

As for mom cutting the apron strings, I can definitely understand that she's just fed up with her daughter and, even though many can argue that she went about it the wrong way, maybe she felt Seana was in good hands with both Dr.Now and Dr. Paradise. After all we were treated to Seana's semi-awakening at the end exercising in the apartment complex's pool that she was going to keep trying. Would she have done that if mom was still coddling her and probably going broke in the process? Her mom is still a young woman, maybe in her forties, and has her own life to live.

I mean really, when your daughter's greatest accomplishment is getting approved for disability at the tender age of 19--remember how proud Seana sounded when she said that in her voiceover--and she's still footing the bill for her to lay around and stuff herself, I can imagine how frustrated she must be.

Anyway, that's my take. YMMV.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Were you in my house last night???  Said the exact same thing.  I did not like this gal.  In fact, we didn't finish the ep.  Maybe tonight.

Me: ***** Says prayers for @Natalie68 to have a speedy recovery after watching the rest of that shit show episode *****.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Pretty5Vacant said:

Me too, she gave it one bloop on the nose and that's all. I would of had it in my lap, rolled on the floor with it...etc. It didn't get very much attention

When Dr. Now asked her what she did at the hotel, she said she played with the dog. I'm surprised she doesn't lose the dog. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, nokat said:

Pizza is cheap. You can get one delivered to your door that provides 200 to 300 calories per dollar. It’s not healthy or nutritious, but if you want maximum calories for your dollar, pizza is your choice. It’s the same reason people on food stamps often buy an enormous bag of store brand cookies. Cheap calories.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

I was also thinking about how many times this season we've heard "I don't need therapy." EVERYONE needs some therapy, we'd all be better off!

But, but  . . . the therapy caused Seana to gain weight. She said so! 🤣

• LOL 5

I missed a few spots like just before she and her former assistant went into Dr. Now's office. I THOUGHT they both were in Halloween costumes!  I'm NOT kidding.  Her top was animal print like and I thought the feet were matching shoes.....like a large beast of some type.  And, her assistant appeared to have on a costume too.  Oh well......

• LOL 8
5 hours ago, nokat said:

Duh, it’s the easiest food to eat on a brown recliner.

• LOL 10

Started watching during live chat, but then Mr. Tots came in and wanted to start from the beginning, so I got lost!

All I could say was "Oh my god. Jesus tap dancing christ." WHAT?? I didn't think anyone could be that irresponsible and childlike with act being a child, and then there was Seana. On the one hand: yes, she has severe trauma from a horrible childhood. I get it, as a kid in the foster system, I feared making anyone upset or annoyed because of one shitty foster parent. And then I learned you have to ask for help and not worry about that. I did therapy for years and years after being adopted. But, I was ready and willing to move forward from all of that and learn how to adult one day and be a normal kid in the present. I was testing at a 3rd grade math level in 8th grade because 3rd grade was when this shit foster dad would call me stupid for being confused. I was too afraid and ashamed to ask for help to understand because I didn't want my teachers to call me stupid or throw things at me. But my 8th grade teacher had the patience and kindness of a saint. She had me caught up and on track in no time because I walked over mid panic attack and asked her to help me. 

She was clearly unwilling to open to any sort of therapy. With her past traumas or food, which was clear when she sat there talking about eating safely while vacuuming down pizza rolls, pizza and cinnamon rolls. Therapy wasn't making her gain anything, walking down to the snack room, eating potatoes and not doing a simple google of the diet plan was. God knows her moms money is going to run out quick with her snack charges. She could've taken the dog with her and kept walking until she made it outside and walked that little cutie pie for awhile whenever she was really jonesing for a snack. 

And poor Dr. Now trying to have any sort of conversation with her. It was like watching myself talk with my eight year old when he's in trouble. 

"How many times have you been told not to use the couch for stuntman jumps?"

8yo: looks off to the side with long pause. "A lot."

When are you going to stop doing that? 

8yo:looks off to the side, knowing he wasn't supposed to swan dive onto the furniture anyway. "Today."

"When today?"

8yo: cancels his upcoming war against the Decepticons at 6:30 with a long pause. "Right now. I won't do it again, I'm sorry for jumping on the furniture. But I was just playing and got carried away!"

Her look is the same as his when he knows he's done something he's been told not to do 50 times. The look of "if I just answer really slow, I won't have to answer at all!" Even though turtle mode did have Mr. Tots and I cackling. She definitely needs to be around people, it may be motivation to get up and dressed, keep things clean so people can come over, go out and get moving. Living by herself is just her staying in the rut of alone and dirty. I felt for her moving with just her dog. But mom had a job, Derrickus mentioned having another job, so maybe he got more hours or took a job elsewhere as a career when her mom decided not to pay him anymore. Ya gotta do what you've gotta do, and sometimes better opportunity comes along. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Concerned said:

Pizza is cheap. You can get one delivered to your door that provides 200 to 300 calories per dollar. It’s not healthy or nutritious, but if you want maximum calories for your dollar, pizza is your choice. It’s the same reason people on food stamps often buy an enormous bag of store brand cookies. Cheap calories.

TLC repeated Liz's recipe yesterday and after her extended hospital stay ate an entire pizza -- BUT IT HAD SPINACH ON IT.

So there!  LOL!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, Otter said:

TLC repeated Liz's recipe yesterday and after her extended hospital stay ate an entire pizza -- BUT IT HAD SPINACH ON IT.

So there!  LOL!

I saw part of the Liz WATN.  Once she stopped wearing wigs showing her beautiful natural hair, and she had new glasses, she looked good.  And was doing Ok.  Would not be surprised to see a Part 3.  Would be disgusted and would not watch if  Seana is ever featured again.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I missed a few spots like just before she and her former assistant went into Dr. Now's office. I THOUGHT they both were in Halloween costumes!  I'm NOT kidding.  Her top was animal print like and I thought the feet were matching shoes.....like a large beast of some type.  And, her assistant appeared to have on a costume too.  Oh well......

She was wearing furry animal-feet slippers, complete with claws. (I guess they were better than going barefoot, at least. Maybe she wanted to show her whimsical side.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

The only Facebook page I saw just had pictures. What did you see that changed your mind?

If you click on the button at the top, and look at 'likes' that can tell you a lot about a person.   The postings were also very well written, and coherent, nothing like the rather sad person on TV.     There is no way she lost anything, and she never had any intention of trying for Dr. Now's program.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, JJ1 said:

I may be completely wrong (and it wouldn’t be the first time! 😂) but I don’t think Seana played us. I think Mom and Derrickus are the players. 

It seemed to me that Seana was probably pushed into participating in the show by her mom, who was fed up with supporting Seana’s massive addiction. I don’t think Seana ever had any real desire to change, hence the constant “I lost it” excuse. When mom realized this was going to total failure, she just bailed out and left town.  Derrickus was just in it for the fun of being on tv. When the fun ended, he disappeared too.

I really believe that Seana has significant mental and development issues and I wish someone could have stepped in and provided real, meaningful help. But unfortunately it appears that she is facing this alone and I just don’t think she has the life skills and mental strength necessary to handle it. 

Hope she doesn’t end up like Sean, but I won’t be surprised. 

Same. I don’t think she is any more or less intelligent or capable than she showed on the show. After taking a look at her fb, it seems mom had lost a bunch of weight about 2 years ago. I can kinda see them (Seana, mom, production, etc) not mentioning them. If Seana didn’t know how they were as of 4 weeks ago, it’s probably better they’re not sullied by her cesspool of a life. I only hope their sperm donor wasn’t the meth addicted, abuser mentioned. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, nokat said:

Because *quote Lindsey* it tastes like grease and freedom. 😆 

As someone who lives in a "no delivery zone" (over an hour from the nearest "fast" food, 30 minutes from the closest town). I guess I don't understand either. The thought makes me queasy. 😝

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Because *quote Lindsey* it tastes like grease and freedom. 😆 

As someone who lives in a "no delivery zone" (over an hour from the nearest "fast" food, 30 minutes from the closest town). I guess I don't understand either. The thought makes me queasy. 😝

I have numerous options for delivery (and that's without even factoring in third parties like Uber Eats); several of them are just along the road I live off of. I refuse to order delivery just for myself because it'd be too easy to let it become a habit. When I first moved into my condo, it was well over a year before I even broke down and brought fast food home (which I haven't done in almost a year now because last time I got McDonald's I was sick the whole weekend). If I get pizza, it's from the good place downtown with the super-thin crust that doesn't deliver (and only takes cash, and is expensive but occasionally worth it), or the place that sells by the slice so I can just get a slice or two of Margherita or plain (which I generally only do if I'm already over that way).

(I also don't do drive-thrus. If I'm going to eat fast food, I'm going to get my ass out of the car to get it.)

1 minute ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I was really feeling bad for Dr Now’s dead-eyed brunette assistant, who had to handle all of the weigh-ins for this worthless cow. I hope she gets paid per appearance. Usually the blonde with the heavy eye makeup has to do one or two. 

Cassandra! I really want her to write a book. I wonder if they're just generally supposed to not react to the patients' weight or if the show tells them not to. Every once in a while you'll see her genuinely smile when a patient has lost a lot since the last weight in. I suspect she's not as grumpy as she appears in real life.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Cassandra! I really want her to write a book. I wonder if they're just generally supposed to not react to the patients' weight or if the show tells them not to. Every once in a while you'll see her genuinely smile when a patient has lost a lot since the last weight in. I suspect she's not as grumpy as she appears in real life.

She's got a great smile.

Capture.JPG

• Love 17
2 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

As someone who lives in a "no delivery zone" (over an hour from the nearest "fast" food, 30 minutes from the closest town)

I'm within walking distance of many grocery stores and fast food places. I realize the "walking distance" is something not in Seana's vocabulary. Thanks for making me remember there are rural areas where pizza is the only option.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

So, I was with you all yelling at the tv for showing Seana's sad sack life.

I am definitely NOT an emotional person who feels sorry for these flesh blobs. I feel more for Seana's two kids in the system and hope they went into a loving, capable home soon after birth.

Adult Social Services needed to step in and take over. Seana's suicidal, addicted, depressed, lonely, unmotivated, PTSD, and no-skilled with adjacent low intelligence, etc.  

No way Seana should live alone.  Why Dr. Now wanted her to move to Houston ALL ALONE is beyond me.  Surely, she had some friends or at least familiarity with outside life in KC,MO. Who knows? 

She needs NA and OA and all the other A's, plus intensive therapy. She needs basic adulting classes. Friends. Training in nutrition, cooking, cleaning, and regular exercise. And etc.

She will be continue to be taken advantage monetarily, sexually, and emotionally over and over.

Continuing to replay those daddy issues. Mom seemed beat down too, but I don't give her a pass for moving away from her child, and I get that Mom was not innocent in Seana's dysfunctional development, but I can see her at her wit's end with Seana's addictions. 

I believe Seana had help with the Facebook page.  Unless her severely limited verbal abilities are incredibly less than her tech skills. Nope, she has help with online stuff. I really don't think she's savvy enough to play us or anyone. 

I agree that Seana's literacy may be in question regarding losing the directions 4-5 times, as well as a passive-aggressive or aggressive-aggressive ploy to get back at Mom. I bet Seana wiped her cod lips on them and tossed those papers in the trash at a fast food place after leaving Dr. Now's Office.

I agree that TLC did not show us the full horror story that was/is Seana's life. 

I get this feeling that Seana is not always the meek, mild --"Yes sir, No sir" --dim bulb that was shown. I think she is a dim bulb capable of major, Hulk-like temper tantrums with full-on physical angry threats/lashing out --like many of our 600 pounders--towards those servant meteorites that revolve around their bed-ridden/lazy boy-ridden bulks. 

I rarely have no hope for anyone, but I'm failing to see any kind of a better-- not happy or anywhere close to normal--but slightly better life for Seana. 

Whether she likes it or not, Seana may be headed for group living at a penal institution for drug scams, assault, stealing food, or squatting indefinitely somewhere.

Thanks, TLC, for bumming me out!

Kudos to many posters above who observed similar issues with Seana and commented much more cogently than I.  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

She also said eating too little caused her to gain weight. 

well, of course it does/sarc

Eating less (and she did for a while because she did lose weight once) makes her feel deprived so she starts to over-overeat to make up for it.   I get that with a stretched out stomach she may feel emptier than I do on 1200 cals a day, but Dr Now is trying to teach portion control and a habit of 3 meals a day instead of all day binging.   She has a tv, but other than that she seems to have no other amusement or activity than stuffing herself.  She has a cute dog, but she seems to have no interest in playing with it or even taking it for several walks a day.  All she has is food.  I did wonder if she was doing internet food porn.

I couldn't stand looking at her mouth/lips.

Also I understand what she meant about therapy making things worse.  It does at first, but someone needs to be telling her that is normal.  She really could use 3-4 sessions of individual therapy a week plus group and also OA.   She is a mess.

Did I understand that her children are in foster care? 

I am not impressed with mom.

• Love 2

Mom put Seana out because she was tired of supporting her and learned that she had no intention of losing any weight. Like the rest of us, she may suspect substance abuse issues too. I think years of addiction help to explain why Seana seems so dumb. 

Enablers on this show are more interesting that the poundtestants. They go from loading their plates with piles of food to pulling the rug out from under them. In is understandable in a way because poundtestants are ungrateful twits for the most part.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

I agree that Seana's literacy may be in question regarding losing the directions 4-5 times, as well as a passive-aggressive or aggressive-aggressive ploy to get back at Mom. I bet Seana wiped her cod lips on them and tossed those papers in the trash at a fast food place after leaving Dr. Now's Office.

I agree that TLC did not show us the full horror story that was/is Seana's life. 

I get this feeling that Seana is not always the meek, mild --"Yes sir, No sir" --dim bulb that was shown. I think she is a dim bulb capable of major, Hulk-like temper tantrums with full-on physical angry threats/lashing out --like many of our 600 pounders--towards those servant meteorites that revolve around their bed-ridden/lazy boy-ridden bulks.

For those totally on point bolded comments above, it is with great pleasure that I bestow upon @Tosia our coveted Gasoline Soaked Drawers Award! And what does @Tosia win you ask? How about your very own food stained, body odor saturated, ginormous recliner, a freezer full of off-brand pizza rolls and, a lifetime supply of crappy delivery pizza, with cinnamon knots of course. These awards are normally awarded during the Live Chat but, since you went above and beyond, please accept them and wear them with pride. 😁

As for Seana's Hulk like temper, here's what I imagine that looks like:

149170608_th(7).jpeg.5ba40cf0a502346e2c88a402adab5181.jpeg

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, PaTatertots said:

Started watching during live chat, but then Mr. Tots came in and wanted to start from the beginning, so I got lost!

All I could say was "Oh my god. Jesus tap dancing christ." WHAT?? I didn't think anyone could be that irresponsible and childlike with act being a child, and then there was Seana. On the one hand: yes, she has severe trauma from a horrible childhood. I get it, as a kid in the foster system, I feared making anyone upset or annoyed because of one shitty foster parent. And then I learned you have to ask for help and not worry about that. I did therapy for years and years after being adopted. But, I was ready and willing to move forward from all of that and learn how to adult one day and be a normal kid in the present. I was testing at a 3rd grade math level in 8th grade because 3rd grade was when this shit foster dad would call me stupid for being confused. I was too afraid and ashamed to ask for help to understand because I didn't want my teachers to call me stupid or throw things at me. But my 8th grade teacher had the patience and kindness of a saint. She had me caught up and on track in no time because I walked over mid panic attack and asked her to help me. 

She was clearly unwilling to open to any sort of therapy. With her past traumas or food, which was clear when she sat there talking about eating safely while vacuuming down pizza rolls, pizza and cinnamon rolls. Therapy wasn't making her gain anything, walking down to the snack room, eating potatoes and not doing a simple google of the diet plan was. God knows her moms money is going to run out quick with her snack charges. She could've taken the dog with her and kept walking until she made it outside and walked that little cutie pie for awhile whenever she was really jonesing for a snack. 

And poor Dr. Now trying to have any sort of conversation with her. It was like watching myself talk with my eight year old when he's in trouble. 

"How many times have you been told not to use the couch for stuntman jumps?"

8yo: looks off to the side with long pause. "A lot."

When are you going to stop doing that? 

8yo:looks off to the side, knowing he wasn't supposed to swan dive onto the furniture anyway. "Today."

"When today?"

8yo: cancels his upcoming war against the Decepticons at 6:30 with a long pause. "Right now. I won't do it again, I'm sorry for jumping on the furniture. But I was just playing and got carried away!"

Her look is the same as his when he knows he's done something he's been told not to do 50 times. The look of "if I just answer really slow, I won't have to answer at all!" Even though turtle mode did have Mr. Tots and I cackling. She definitely needs to be around people, it may be motivation to get up and dressed, keep things clean so people can come over, go out and get moving. Living by herself is just her staying in the rut of alone and dirty. I felt for her moving with just her dog. But mom had a job, Derrickus mentioned having another job, so maybe he got more hours or took a job elsewhere as a career when her mom decided not to pay him anymore. Ya gotta do what you've gotta do, and sometimes better opportunity comes along. 

Was going to say how you had this shit foster parent at 8, and an 8 year old will be scared to get in trouble, even for something small. It makes total sense and I'm sorry you went thru that but at least you were eventually helped.

An 8 year old is SCARED their mother is going to find out they stole a cookie out of the jar before dinner. An adult would be scared if they knocked over a gas station and the cops were about to catch them. But Seana is like an adult being really scared that their mom will find out they stole a cookie.

That she could not tell DrNow she lost the papers was like a 3-8 year old scared of mom. But she sat home eating, where would she learn life skills? 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

For those totally on point bolded comments above, it is with great pleasure that I bestow upon @Tosia our coveted Gasoline Soaked Drawers Award! And what does @Tosia win you ask? How about your very own food stained, body odor saturated, ginormous recliner, a freezer full of off-brand pizza rolls and, a lifetime supply of crappy delivery pizza, with cinnamon knots of course. These awards are normally awarded during the Live Chat but, since you went above and beyond, please accept them and wear them with pride. 😁

Whoa!   THANK YOU DC Gal in VA!

I haven't won anything since fourth grade--a bat and ball cuz I got the boys's prize by mistake. He got a Barbie with hand-knitted outfits.  HA! 

But then he came over to my house when I wasn't home and my mom traded the bat/ball for the Barbie. I was not happy.

But today I am. Thank you again.

Ok, this is weird but for a week I have put out to the universe that I wanted to win a prize---anything, just because. Kind of a existential test.

The universe responded!

I will wear them with pride!

Edited by Tosia
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Whoa!   THANK YOU DC Gal in VA!

I haven't won anything since fourth grade--a bat and ball cuz I got the boys's prize by mistake. He got a Barbie with hand-knitted outfits.  HA! 

But then he came over to my house when I wasn't home and my mom traded the bat/ball for the Barbie. I was not happy.

But today I am. Thank you again.

Ok, this is weird but for a week I have put out to the universe that I wanted to win a prize---anything, just because. Kind of a existential test.

The universe responded!

You're most welcome @Tosia! I mean when I saw the phrase "cod lips" I just couldn't resist. As for the universe, ask and ye shall receive! 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, dahling said:

They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel with participants this season, if they were left to cobble together 2 hours of "show" from the non-event of Seana. I fear for the rest of the season. 

There's so much more going on here than  we were shown. I very much suspect relapsed drug use was behind Seana's mom kicking her to the curb so abruptly.  She's one spring short of a cuckoo clock for putting her clearly depressed and developmentally delayed daughter on a plane to Houston with no place to live, not a soul in the world to support her, and no plan. "You got this!"  WTF, mom. She doesn't got anything. 

Dr. Now continues his path to sainthood.  "I see you are alone, so move to Houston so we can help you."  How many other losers decided to move to Houston before being accepted into the program, and were read the riot act?  He's extremely insightful and is able to tailor his treatment to the person instead of one size fits all.  I love that he offered to help find her a place to live, and I wish she would have taken him up on the group home offer, just to help her meet some other people. Living alone in Houston is not what she needs.

Loved Dr. Now's disdain at Derrickus's ridiculous preening over how he was in charge of Seana's diet, cooking, and housecleaning. 

Mumble, mumble, mumble. My husband's cousin has a lower lip stud and it creates a weird lisp from an otherwise intelligent sounding young woman. Turns out that 2 lower lip studs make a lisp twice as bad (go figure). 

Oh, thank you so much for your insight, and comments(!)  I was going to post something similar, but deleted it because I feared it might have been too (raw) true.

Still processing this...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

You're getting gasoline soaked bloomers for that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Carboncat said:

Oh, thank you so much for your insight, and comments(!)  I was going to post something similar, but deleted it because I feared it might have been too (raw) true.

Still processing this...

I forgot to add that I was actually angry about this episode.... clearly this is an adult incapable of caring for herself normally.   

Seana's situashun made me mad in many ways.

Houston Social Services, you have a problem.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I forgot to add that I was actually angry about this episode.... clearly this is an adult incapable of caring for herself normally.   

Seana's situashun made me mad in many ways.

Houston Social Services, you have a problem.

If she is seeing Dr. Paradise he can put her in touch with the people who can give her the most help. However if she refuses to make use of that help there is nothing that can be done. Remember Dr. Now wanted to get her in a group home and she refused.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Hard to tell whether she was incapable or unwilling.  She was capable of calling for food delivery, but seemed unwilling to limit the size of the portions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

This episode was torturous.  Seana in no way whatsoever wanted to change.  She just went along with what her mother said like a zombie, and didn't even try.  The 35 lb loss was actually a really good thing and could have been a turning but it got buried under everything else and after that she truly gave up.

I know I should be feeling something for her but I couldn't muster up any empathy because she was so damned annoying.  Thank god I'm not a psychotherapist.

• Love 7
On 2/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, nokat said:

Because  salt and fat. Also known as  "grease and  freedom. "😁

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Seana was an younger version of many other noncompliant addicts who have learned to game the system.    

Seana managed to apply for disability handouts as soon as she qualified, ie, got fat enough. She was apparently able to contact/ meet up with/ get addicted with/ get impregnanted by an online Meth Lothario-although this was glossed over by the showrunners. Somewhere along the way she was able to acquire a pet. During the course of the show, she was able to get a (hideous) home perm. She was able to supply herself with a relatively large wardrobe- she never wore the same thing twice during the show. So she has some native wit/ resourcefulness, as long as it's in the service of stuff she wants or wants to do.

It's only when Mom tries to push her that she becomes totally helpless.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I don't think Seana was compromised at all.   I think she played all of us, and the mother was sick of it, even though the mother helped create the person Seana grew into (no, not really a pun).        After looking at the FB page for both, I think that they both do exactly what they want, and have no issues except they're both totally self-centered.      There is no way the dull, almost comatose person that Seana portrayed on screen did the postings that I saw.  

I think Seana has always played the clueless fool, and got out of doing whatever she didn't want to do that way. 

I also doubt the story about the father.    Both of the women sounded very matter of fact, and rehearsed, and their stories were virtually identical.       Since they showed the father's picture several times, I bet he's dead, so they can tell whatever stories they want to.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4