Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 Live Feed Discussion: Keeping an Eye Out

• Start Topic

I don't get the feeds and am intrigued by reading these posts ..... just what is the "Caleb/Amber Situation".  Why is he considered dangerous enough that her family is worried for her?  What makes him a psycho?  Would really appreciate some answers.  Thanks!

Since they've been in the house, Caleb has been going on and on about how in love he is with Amber, who he has known for a little more than a week and has barely interacted with him. He talks about her all the time with the other houseguests and how he is planning on being with her after the show (even talking about just moving to wherever she lives). This, naturally, has creeped a whole lot of people out, especially because a typical effect of such an obsession is that when the interest is not reciprocated, it results in the obsessed person getting angry - and when Caleb recently was told by Amber that he was "too full of himself" (I don't believe she said this to his face, but she might have) he suddenly was going on and on about how much of a bitch she was. However, she has decided to humor a bit and now he is happy with her. 

As you can see, the guy is coming off as a lunatic, hence her family being worried for her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get the feeds and am intrigued by reading these posts ..... just what is the "Caleb/Amber Situation".  Why is he considered dangerous enough that her family is worried for her?  What makes him a psycho?  Would really appreciate some answers.  Thanks!

As a female myself, and having raised 3 daughters, I'd have to say that this guy has the creep factor X 10.   He has viewed seemingly benign interactions with Amber and read way more into them than was actually there; he became seriously obsessed with the girl with as much amplification to his ego as there was magnitude to his belief that Amber was just as into him.  After much carrying on with the 'bros' about her,  he finally 'professed' his feelings to her.  It was very, very awkward, as well as telling that she most certainly was just not into him but he failed to pick up on that, instead making up delusional excuses to himself and others as to why she wouldn't 'show her true feelings'.  Over the next little while, Amber mostly avoided him, talking with a few of the girls about it.  Then she got her period, and took to her bed.  During this time, Caleb began, to slide into this whole 'she led him on', 'she was just using him to get further into the game'; and his mood, attitude and facial expressions became, at least to me, concerning.  I could understand totally why her family might be a little worried for her.

ETA:  To be fair though, everyone in the house is sick of it, the guys are tired of Caleb going on and on and on about her, yet no one has tried to quell his notions any, and in fact a few of them seem to enjoy either stirring the pot (Devin), or fanning the flames of this guys delusions. (just about everyone else.)

Edited by LuvizBlind
  • Love 6

LuvizBlind, thanks so much for your response.  You encapsulated very well what this psycho is doing.  I, too, would be more than nervous if Amber were my family member.  All (or most) of these people profess to be lovey-dovey with each other and if that were the case, then why doesn't someone tell Amber what he's doing and saying?  And why doesn't TPTB tell him to knock it off?  My questions are rhetorical, but still, it makes one wonder if they aren't perhaps even urging him on for the drama and ratings.

LuvizBlind, thanks so much for your response.  You encapsulated very well what this psycho is doing.  I, too, would be more than nervous if Amber were my family member.  All (or most) of these people profess to be lovey-dovey with each other and if that were the case, then why doesn't someone tell Amber what he's doing and saying?  And why doesn't TPTB tell him to knock it off?  My questions are rhetorical, but still, it makes one wonder if they aren't perhaps even urging him on for the drama and ratings.

And you just answered your own rhetorical question, slasherboy.

What I don't understand about Caleb and Amber: As The Stomach Turns is where Devin's place is in all of it. Is it because he feels the need to interject himself in every conversation and situation? Does he really care about the Caleb/Amber situation? Is he just trying to stir the pot? Has he completely lost his mind, if he even had it with him when they went into the house? He just seemed way into the whole Amber conversation last night, and then recounting it for Caleb, there were many points where he would be laughing and smiling at inappropriate times (I was listening with one ear, so I may be wrong about that part). He really seemed to enjoy it.

Too bad he didn't do it before the Veto meeting. I wonder who'll be the next one to blow up and take the heat off of him. Maybe Zach? He's been bashing Victoria occasionally, talking about how she's ugly and he's going to ruin her life. 

Is it because he feels the need to interject himself in every conversation and situation? 

I think it is basically that, yes. He can't be a mastermind if he isn't involved in every little thing in the house! But the whole "he's a psycho" plays a role, as well, of course.

• Love 1

I must grudgingly admit that Devin had a good idea to bring Amber and Christine into the alliance, though. The way he did it was, of course, incredibly selfish and arrogant.

Over the next little while, Amber mostly avoided him, talking with a few of the girls about it.  Then she got her period, and took to her bed.  During this time, Caleb began, to slide into this whole 'she led him on', 'she was just using him to get further into the game'; and his mood, attitude and facial expressions became, at least to me, concerning.  I could understand totally why her family might be a little worried for her.

I feel can't overstate how awful I feel for Amber. She comes off as a nice, cool woman who just wanted to have some fun and be chill and make friends on her way to try and win 500k. But because she DARED to make Caleb want her by being pretty *rolls eyes*, she has to deal with this crazy stalker that she can't ever get away from. She tried to let him down easy and not make waves and hope he'd finally get the hint, but then of course Caleb started this "She's a hateful bitch who needs to apologize!" campaign and was getting people to turn on her and having people admonish her for being so mean to poor ol' Caleb. They got her to crack and now she's going to pretend like she likes Caleb. Ugh. I can't wait for the inevitable date rate attempt here.

• Love 2

Has he completely lost his mind, if he even had it with him when they went into the house? He just seemed way into the whole Amber conversation last night, and then recounting it for Caleb, there were many points where he would be laughing and smiling at inappropriate times (I was listening with one ear, so I may be wrong about that part). He really seemed to enjoy it.

I personally think it's this. Devin seems so unhinged to me. After he told Brittany about having been addicted to Xanax and all that went with that, I feel like I understand him a bit more now. But that man is quite paranoid and unhinged and I don't think this environment is good for him at all. It reminds me a bit of Judd when he didn't get his meds properly last year.

After watching Devin's house meeting I've decided that, next to Donny, Victoria is my fave. For her reactions to that mess alone. Plus she just hates Devin and it's hilarious. Then again, she loves Caleb, so that's worrisome.

I must grudgingly admit that Devin had a good idea to bring Amber and Christine into the alliance, though. The way he did it was, of course, incredibly selfish and arrogant.

It was a good idea by sheer luck, though. There's no way he could have known that Christine would be this loyal. It was a fluke that it worked out.

That said, I absolutely agree that in the future all-male alliances should think of adding in a couple of female members. All-male alliances are almost always terrible - it worked ONCE essentially. 

• Love 1

I don't watch the feeds and count on all of you to keep me filled in (thanks!), but for you Survivor watchers, the Caleb/Amber situation sounds similar to the season when Brandon Hantz lusted after that one buxome brunette and then tried to penalize her for "tempting" him with her sinister feminine ways. Is this a fair assessment of the vibe?

• Love 2

The dude, after all of this, actually talked about how if he were the Bachelor and Amber was on, he'd stop the show right then and there. What the FUCK???

He is so off. He needs help. I can not believe all of the detail he goes into when creating these AU fanfictions about his relationship with Amber. 

• Love 3

What the blue-dilly fuck is going on with Caleb? Any pre-show racist/___-ist news about him has been totally eclipsed by his straight up insanity. His behavior reminds me of a stand-up routine (Kevin Hart maybe?) about how men always complain about psycho ex-girlfriends, but you don't hear women doing the same. Why? Those women are DEAD. Poor, poor Amber. She seems like such a nice, normal girl (especially for the BB universe); to be saddled with this is shameful.

Devin is straight up Iago-ing himself right out the door. Another effing lunatic. I LOVE that so many people seem to be onto his crazy, and am praying that Caleb's obsession makes it to the show. Not because it's what's actually happening (god forbid we see something not twisted to fit a pre-formed girls-are-stupid storyline), but because I'm dying to hear the DRs of Frankie, Zach, Christine, Cody, and cop dad. I know there will be some golden nuggets right there.

And if Devin wasn't already despicable enough, he seems quite fond of the phrase "I could care less", and also said he doesn't like cheese. Get behind me, Satan!!

Does Nicole seem to whine a lot? Or maybe it's the accent I'm not used to. Whether it's about accidentally using a "bad" word, trying to make up with Hayden, a bad pool shot, or her ear... gads.

Frankie is playing a brilliant game. Guy has insinuated himself into what seems to be every group without even trying.

Zach's drop-it-like-it's-hot dance that seems to be the rage among most of the guys (the ones not sociopathically obsessing over a girl) cracks me up. The HGs in general seem so much chiller, touchy-feely, and more fun than normal. I can't help but think a small part of it is due to them all being non-smokers. I hate how the outdoor couch area always turned into a smokers' den, and the inevitable freakouts/bargaining over no cigs/nicotine patches. It also seems the food consumption is generally a little more healthy than normal. Now if they can just put their freakin' clothes away instead of strewn about every room, I'd be content!

And on a shallow note, Cody is pure eye candy. Wouldn't have called it on Day 1, but wow is he adorable. The glasses are killing me! *drool*

• Love 1

Brian Cronin, thanks for your reply to my questions about Caleb and Amber.  Yes, he's one strange and creepy nut job.  I hope it doesn't turn into anything truly sick, harmful or hurtful.

So I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the nominees will again be Brittany, Victoria, Donny and Paolo? With maybe Nicole or Jocasta thrown in? Or maybe Amber asserts herself and nominates another guy - Hayden? So I'm assuming that this week sucks, and no dynamics are changed, and Devin continues to be his bi-polar self, and Caleb continues to be the creepiest dude ever, and nothing interesting happens? Even though Frankie and Zach and Cody and Derrick will continue to think that either Devin or Caleb need to go, but this week isn't the right time, and they can't do anything about it anyway.

Seriously, this was the worst case scenario for me. The Worst.

• Love 5
(edited)

His behavior reminds me of a stand-up routine (Kevin Hart maybe?) about how men always complain about psycho ex-girlfriends, but you don't hear women doing the same. Why? Those women are DEAD. Poor, poor Amber.

Caleb reminds me of the quote from 1997 book The Gift of Fear: "It is understandable that the perspectives of men and women on safety are so different--men and women live in different worlds...at core, men are afraid women will laugh at them, while at core, women are afraid men will kill them.”

It's fascinating and horrifying all at the same time to see how Caleb (with Devin's help) got Amber to break down and relent, leading to that hug which made my skin crawl to watch. I cannot imagine what it'd be like to have someone who refused to take no for an answer never more than 50 feet away from you.

He is so off. He needs help. I can not believe all of the detail he goes into when creating these AU fanfictions about his relationship with Amber.

I got myself to watch the "love confession", and wow. He essentially said stuff like, "I know that when you leave the room when I come in, it's because you don't people to target us as a showmance." Or "I know that you look at me more than anybody else." And "I haven't felt this way about anybody in 4 years." It is crazy.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Caleb's obsession initially reminded me of that season (South Pacific, maybe?) of Survivor, as well. However, I actually think what we're witnessing has a modicum of "logic" ie Caleb's apparent conviction in his entitlement to Amber's positive attention is scary, but clearly part and parcel of common, albeit disturbing, cultural norms. He's essentially just mad he was rejected. His reaction is frightening, but I thought the Brandon Hantz display was even worse. He blamed Mikayla for his own attraction to her; it wasn't about getting shot down, but simply her mere physical existence in the case. No acknowledgement of agency on his own part, and way Susanna and the Elders. No idea how he passed a psych eval.

• Love 2
(edited)

The Bomb Squad is basically bullying Amber to put up who they want.  Right now they are really pushing Nicole.  She wants to put up Paola and Hayden.  But Devin, nice guy that he is, has said that if he goes first he's  picking Pao with Brittany.   That's his right of course, but the way he says it is all about twisting her arm.  She finally just said ok , Victoria.  But that wasn't good enough.  It has to be Nicole.  And yes, it's like they are ganging up on her.  The weird thing is Caleb isn't there.   Derrick was also coming off like a jerk by really pushing her.

The one piece of good news is it sounds like Donny is safe so far.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

It's weird - on the one hand, yeah, she looks stupid for going along with "pick off the girls one by one" but on the other hand, if I were in her shoes at this particular moment, why piss off a powerful alliance that I'm supposedly in right now when I don't have to? It's more a matter where it is just a shame that another Bomb Squad member won the other HoH than anything. She doesn't really have any room to maneuver here. She just has to make sure to try to protect the people she really doesn't want to lose (apparently Jocasta and Donny). 

• Love 1
(edited)

She doesn't really have any room to maneuver here. She just has to make sure to try to protect the people she really doesn't want to lose (apparently Jocasta and Donny).

Yeah, she keeps making that point herself.  That it's very hard for her to nominate the girls as she's friends with all of them, and she really has no room to work.  The rest of them could care less, though.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Getting rid of Hayden looks like her best bet, really. Also, not for nothing, but if she puts up Hayden and, let's say Nicole, that's a better duo for BotB than Brittany and Paola, if only because anyone plus anyone is a better bet than anyone plus Paola. 

• Love 1

I thought the Brandon Hantz display was even worse. He blamed Mikayla for his own attraction to her; it wasn't about getting shot down, but simply her mere physical existence in the case. No acknowledgement of agency on his own part, and way Susanna and the Elders. No idea how he passed a psych eval.

Yeah, the Brandon Hantz thing was one of the most disturbing things I'd ever seen on reality TV, so I am glad to know the Caleb/Amber scenario is at least somewhat less creepy.

(edited)

The Bomb Squad is basically bullying Amber to put up who they want.  Right now they are really pushing Nicole.  She wants to put up Paola and Hayden.  But Devin, nice guy that he is, has said that if he goes first he's  picking Pao with Brittany.   That's his right of course, but the way he says it is all about twisting her arm.  She finally just said ok , Victoria.  But that wasn't good enough.  It has to be Nicole.  And yes, it's like they are ganging up on her.  The weird thing is Caleb isn't there.   Derrick was also coming off like a jerk by really pushing her.

The one piece of good news is it sounds like Donny is safe so far.

I watched that conversation on After Dark, and I couldn't, for the life of me, make out what Amber said about Donny. Something about, "I was talking to Donny earlier and said 'What's Up, Donny?' and he said ______." Then she got this serious look on her face. In any event, I hope Donny stays safe. He seems like the most genuine person in the house.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

Got to give Devin some credit, though. He is actively using Paola's uselessness as a piece of strategy. He is intentionally pairing her with Brittany in an attempt to assure that they'll lose the BotB. That's pretty smart.

(edited)

I really thought we were going to get through an episode of BBAD without someone mentioning the Caleb/Amber situation or Caleb talking about Amber, but of course we wouldn't. Ugh.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'll just say this: Amber had better do some serious scrambling if it turns out that she'll be in the jury house with Caleb. I'd rather self-evict than deal with that.

(edited)

They've already done noms and BotB! Damn! I wonder if they're doing this because of the holiday or if they have something else planned?

Cody really wants to save Brit and evict Pao. He seems to have convinced Derrick that it's a better decision. Zach was pushing Brittany a lot, but he seems to maybe have cooled and is with them currently on evicting Pao instead.

Pretty much everyone hates Victoria. Zach and Pao being the most vocal about it.

Cody/Derrick are done with Caleb/Devin. They want them both gone. I hope that they succeed in getting those two out and then all the women band together and go after them plus Zach/Frankie. Just for the LOLs. And just because those four are just as cocky and controlling as Caleb/Devin, they're just more subtle about it.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

And on a shallow note, Cody is pure eye candy. Wouldn't have called it on Day 1, but wow is he adorable. The glasses are killing me! *drool*

And those glasses are fake! They don't even have lenses, they're just a pair of frames. Still, he can rock that Clark Kent look 24/7 and it'll be fine with me. 

Did I read correctly that Devin called a house meeting? Does anyone have a time stamp for that? I tried 11:19 but all I saw was him talking to Nicole in HOH.

Thanks for the updates, everyone!

Great, so they were up all night doing the stuff I actually care about - nominations and competitions - and all I get at noon is everyone sleeping. As if their sleep patterns aren't screwed up enough as it is! Thanks Big Brother.

Devin seems to be public enemy #1 in the house, which is good. After the veto ceremony is over, and he has zero power, I want someone to go off on him. He won't be able to handle that well. He seems extremely unstable, and the partnership with Caleb is obviously one forged in the pits of hell. I need those two broken up pronto.

I was surprised that they did the double HOH, nominations, and BotB all in one night. Yikes. Poor Amber has no backbone and got bullied into her nominations. She was uncomfortable and wide-eyed, trying to think of who to nominate, and Devin is there all, "Oh, you're going to pick these two? Well, if I pick first, then I'll pick them, so you need to put up Nicole." I felt bad that she had to share the HOH room with him (for all of four hours?), but seriously. Grow a backbone, girl. Alliance be damned. It's not like the Bomb Squad will take her any higher than #6. And to use the reasoning that you got what you wanted from HOH in your letters from home, so you put up two people strong enough to win BotB and also take her out of HOH? No. That's weak. She did herself no favours there. Watching Devin run around the house and repeat his "I'm not saying yes, I'm not saying no, I'm just saying Be Prepared" to all of the potential nominees was pretty funny, though.

On the upside, I saw some rumblings of people starting to realize that Frankie is playing all sides of the house, and agreement than Caleb and Devin are running the game. Whether anyone does anything about it, though...

Honestly, it would have been a stretch to pull off, but why did no one tell Amber's nominees to throw the competition to dethrone Devin, start making deals about POV, and hope that they could take one of the nominees off the block to replace them with Devin? Sure, it's a potential suicide mission, but it would have been awesome if they could have pulled it off.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yikes. Poor Amber has no backbone and got bullied into her nominations. She was uncomfortable and wide-eyed, trying to think of who to nominate, and Devin is there all, "Oh, you're going to pick these two? Well, if I pick first, then I'll pick them, so you need to put up Nicole." I felt bad that she had to share the HOH room with him (for all of four hours?), but seriously. Grow a backbone, girl.

If she can't get it together better than that, I'm definitely OK with her leaving sooner than later.  She  should have sat down and went through the options without any of those guys present.  I don't think she  cares for Devin at all, and she could have found a way to throw him under the bus.   But I'm not sure how much she trusts Caleb, everything else aside, for game purposes. I get the impression she wants to work with him.  Or maybe just to stay on his good side.  But unfortunately I do think she considers that alliance  more solid for her than it is from my observations.  I don't think she really sees a ceiling for herself at top 6. 

Edited by vb68
(edited)

Caleb has been crying this afternoon. Apparently July 4th is making him emotional. I can't even get into how crazy this man sounds. Frankie said that he would tell everyone what's up since Caleb was 'too emotional' to do it, yet Caleb proceeded to tell Frankie exactly what to say like 15 times. One of the things Caleb said was that everyone, whether they're Democrat or Republican, should be careful what they say around him and that he's never hurt anyone but you never know what can happen. Uh, wow, red flag much! This guy should seriously not be there. And then, of course, he brought it around to Amber, saying her dad was military and how they are just so similar and are totes destined to be together. Scary shit. And honestly I believe the whole thing was a way to get attention on himself, especially from Amber. I hope Amber just ignores him the rest of the day LOL.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

So apparently Caleb was weepy all morning because it's the 4th and he was thinking of all the people he lost in the service. He asked Frankie to call the house together and then proceeded to tell Frankie what to say in his speech. He wanted them to know that he was in the army and was deployed. Caleb said he was worried that someone might say something in front of him to "bash the military" and today is not the day (you know, because all the houseguests go around bashing the military all the time). So Caleb asks Frankie to call a house meeting and Frankie says maybe that's not the best way to handle it but Caleb insists and says Frankie should call them to the dining table or in the kitchen and say that Caleb has been broken all morning and will probably be broken all day. Caleb tells Frankie that he should encourage the others to go up to the HOH room and give him a hug or thank him for his service or say that they're all really glad he's here, etc. As soon as Frankie left the room to talk to the house, Caleb grabbed the remote so he could watch it. Caleb did a lot of sniffling but I didn't see any tears.

If he was truly upset thinking about people he lost, I'm sorry for my cynicism. However, when he told Frankie to tell the others to come up to the HOH room to say that stuff, I got the distinct impression that Caleb was trying to create a segment for the show with all the houseguests honoring him for his service.

Didn't see it but on another site, it says that while he was talking to Frankie about why he was upset today, out of the blue he mentioned something about how perfect he and Amber are for each other.

Edited by NeelyO

Didn't see it but on another site, it says that while he was talking to Frankie about why he was upset today, out of the blue he mentioned something about how perfect he and Amber are for each other.

He did indeed. I mentioned it a couple posts up.

Amber kissed Caleb's cheek. When he was telling the story to Derrick he said he should've went in for a mouth kiss when she was kissing his cheek. So creepy.

He did indeed. I mentioned it a couple posts up.

Amber kissed Caleb's cheek. When he was telling the story to Derrick he said he should've went in for a mouth kiss when she was kissing his cheek. So creepy.

I just don't get why, even trying to accept being trapped in that house, that Amber is accommodating him as much as she is.  She should be in the Diary room screaming her head off, and insisting that fulfilling a contract with Endemol isn't worth her safety.

Mind you, I've been obsessed with a girl at least once in my life where it wasn't returned and we couldn't totally avoid each other.  Know what?  As soon as she indicated she wasn't interested in any way, shape or form, I got over it.  Like you know... an adult.  Caleb?  Not so much.

• Love 3

I think Amber finally wised up: she is going to use that pussy power on Caleb.

Doubt it. Amber has a pretty weak personality as evidence by her basically rolling over for the guys and crying about her HOH. I think she's just taking the path of least resistance because she didn't like being isolated and feeling out of the loop when Caleb was angry about the possibility that his feelings weren't reciprocated. The other house guests basically turned their backs on her too and would lie to her face when she would ask what he was saying about her so they deserve some blame too for cultivating this environment. 

• Love 1