Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S04.E15: Clouds

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I find it hard to imagine that Chrissy would agree to appear on The Oscars in padding, just to keep a possible reveal months/years down the road a surprise. Sure, they did it with Toby, but it was never any secret that the actor was padded for the role.

 

I don't think she's padded.  I DO think the cape on stage at the Oscars (while singing) was a horrible look.  This picture on her Instagram shows a little bit better: the cap made her silhouette look much larger.  And the black on black against a black background really made it worse IMO.  

Red Carpet - pretty sure it's unaltered.  

I'm not saying it's a 100 pounds but she's lost some, I think.  

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

If there is a rift and Randall shows up on his birthday after Rebecca got lost and needed to be brought home by the police, I fear his feeling of moral superiority will rise exponentially.  I am afraid TPTB may try to answer the question of how much more insufferable can Randall get.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

If there is a rift and Randall shows up on his birthday after Rebecca got lost and needed to be brought home by the police, I fear his feeling of moral superiority will rise exponentially.  I am afraid TPTB may try to answer the question of how much more insufferable can Randall get.

I would hate that.  Silver Alerts happen across the country on an almost daily basis.  No one can watch an adult 24/7 and it will happen to Randall as well.  Not with fulltime jobs, a house to run, kids to raise, etc.  If Rebecca wandered off in a cabin with 4 other adults present,  the she would do the same with just Randall watching her.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I totally agree, Ohiopirate, but you know Randall would absolutely go there and think that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Kevin's worry about ending up on TMZ for getting arrested when helping his mom break into Joni Mitchell's old house and then commenting that it could actually work for him. 

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Rockstar99435 said:

I loved Kevin's worry about ending up on TMZ for getting arrested when helping his mom break into Joni Mitchell's old house and then commenting that it could actually work for him. 

Well, to be fair, they didn't break into the house...just the yard. And the gate wasn't actually locked. So...trespassing, yes, but "break in" seems inaccurate. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I totally agree, Ohiopirate, but you know Randall would absolutely go there and think that.

It is well within character for Randall to behave that way, but I hope the writers know better not to take it too far.  We have seen way too many times where Randall gets on his moral high-horse and lambastes a loved one while the Pearson (or Miguel) in question quickly forgives him or even apologizes to Randall.  It is almost becoming painful to watch the family bend over backwards to appease Randall, and this only encourages him to continue behaving that way.  At some point, enough is enough, and I as a viewer don't want to see it.  I don't want to see Kevin(because it is always Kevin) constantly forgive Randall.  

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

I think there may a disconnect on this board to what 'hospitization' and 'danger' is.

Has Randall ever been actually admitted for anxiety?  I can buy an emergency department visit, but unless I'm forgetting something I dont recall a inpatient psychiatric admission.

In danger?  Yes, he's had major attacks that have left him in a bad way but nothing that comes close to being labeled dangerous.  Psychiatric beds are extremely hard to come by.  Many places have patients waiting in emergency departments 2 and 3 days just to get an opening for admission.  And these are the TRULY dangerous.  The person who fought 6 cops because the CIA was poisoning his morning coffee.  The naked woman standing in a busy intersection.  The homeless guy rambling 300 words a minute on absolutely nothing.  Randall would get an antianxiety prescription and an outpatient referral.  How far he chose to go with that would be up to him.  

I'm sure he wouldn't commute to Alpine NJ from Philly to see his old psychiatrist

Good post for getting perspective.  It seems like on this board and everywhere else people think anyone with mental problems are automatically hospitalized, run to the nearest therapist for help and if they don't they're evil and a danger to society, all their friends and relatives are instant PhD's and shrinks who can spot and diagnose mental illness and emotional problems a mile away.  Everybody who wants help gets it immediately.  So not true.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2020 at 3:37 PM, Crs97 said:

Didn’t we find out early on that in one of Randall’s breakdowns he was so stressed that he went blind?!?  He should have several therapists on speed-dial.

We did! I guess Randall is just so stubborn that he refuses to see a therapist long term, even after the stress blinds him?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Really liked this episode. Dealing with aging parents is hard. When my sibs and I were dealing with that, we each had our roles. One was the financial helper,  one coordinated medical, I was the fun one, always taking mom to movies and dinner. Like Rebecca said to Kevin, she needs that in her life. Kevin has really grown the most in 4 years, yes he has had struggles, but is a good man.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone else miss the physical affection between Randall and Beth, Toby and Bug? 

When Bug came home after her meal with Madison and found Toby on the couch with their son,  I so wanted Bug ... sorry blanking on her name... to kiss Toby on the forehead and then lean down and hug him and Jack gently.

When Randall came home after therapy I so wanted him and Beth ... who looked gorgrous...to sit closer and hug and just hold each other and talk.  

Kevin and Mom were great. So glad Kevin persisted in taking her to the dr. thus negating Randall's expectation.

Miguel and Rebecca sitting closely on the couch together watching tv,  or sleeping, was beautiful. 

Just saying, I feel there sh be more physical touch between characters who supposedly love/are enmeshed psychologically with each other so much. 

I know #metoo and it's a tv show and actors are being careful,  but......

Miguel is the unsung saint of this show/episode. The adult kids are ridiculously immature in their dismissal of his presence in Rebecca's life.  I wd expect that behavior of tweens. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

Did anyone else miss the physical affection between Randall and Beth, Toby and Bug? 

When Bug came home after her meal with Madison and found Toby on the couch with their son,  I so wanted Bug ... sorry blanking on her name... to kiss Toby on the forehead and then lean down and hug him and Jack gently.

When Randall came home after therapy I so wanted him and Beth ... who looked gorgrous...to sit closer and hug and just hold each other and talk.  

Kevin and Mom were great. So glad Kevin persisted in taking her to the dr. thus negating Randall's expectation.

Miguel and Rebecca sitting closely on the couch together watching tv,  or sleeping, was beautiful. 

Just saying, I feel there sh be more physical touch between characters who supposedly love/are enmeshed psychologically with each other so much. 

I know #metoo and it's a tv show and actors are being careful,  but......

Miguel is the unsung saint of this show/episode. The adult kids are ridiculously immature in their dismissal of his presence in Rebecca's life.  I wd expect that behavior of tweens. 

I noticed the "no affection" between Kate and Toby, it was like she thought he was pretending to like the baby or being considerate, it irritated me. She wont relinquish her control too quickly.

I always thought the Miguel treatment was horrible. My sister married a widower and his kids acted like at 60, their dad had to just be alone in his house until he died. She had died 4 years earlier but it took 3 years more to seem "normal" in attitude and affection and their dad promising the will would include them all except for the house and what he wanted to leave my sister if she outlived him. The coldness is gone now but really was immature.

I have mentioned before an earlier episode when Kevin is back from rehab and Miguel and Rebecca are watching a tiny house show and she is laughing with him and sitting close/snuggling. When Kevin comes in she moves a bit and he notices it and tells her she doesn't have to do that.  Mature of Kevin but it started obviously because her kids were unkind. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, debraran said:

I always thought the Miguel treatment was horrible. My sister married a widower and his kids acted like at 60, their dad had to just be alone in his When Kevin comes in she moves a bit and he notices it and tells her she doesn't have to do that.  Mature of Kevin but it started obviously because her kids were unkind. 

Back in season 1 they were all pretty horrible to Miguel especially the boys (they behaved childish enough to earn that) and Kevin in particular. Remember all that stuff about the Pilgrim Rick? It was not until 1x17 when Miguel calmed Kevin down before the premiere of his play and called him his father's son that things got better between the two. That was also the episode where Randall was crashing and Kevin rushed to his help which was more dramatic - so poor Miguel's efforts (and contribution) get once more forgotten.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't read all the forum pages for this episode so apologies if this point was mentioned.

Everyone except Randall and fam live in California , right?

So Randall does not see the illogical belief that HE is taking care of everything/ Rebecca so the Pearson originals /family doesn't fall apart? 

I know,  he's done it since Jack died,  but really?

Tired of his angst and his snottiness to the therapist . 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I haven't read all the forum pages for this episode so apologies if this point was mentioned.

Everyone except Randall and fam live in California , right?

So Randall does not see the illogical belief that HE is taking care of everything/ Rebecca so the Pearson originals /family doesn't fall apart? 

I know,  he's done it since Jack died,  but really?

Tired of his angst and his snottiness to the therapist . 

Yeah, I thought about it later, but I didn't get his annoyance at "Kevin is going to take Rebecca to her appointment" (which he commented on after checking a text in the therapist's office)...he was in Philly; was he planning to fly to LA after his therapy appointment to take her to the doctor? (Not that it's outside the realm of possibility for this show, but logistically, it doesn't make sense.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

 It was not until 1x17 when Miguel calmed Kevin down before the premiere of his play and called him his father's son that things got better between the two. That was also the episode where Randall was crashing and Kevin rushed to his help which was more dramatic - so poor Miguel's efforts (and contribution) get once more forgotten.

On a side note, I watch New Amsterdam (though I'm not sure why at this point) and it's only this past week that I realized that his costar/girlfriend Olivia is Dr. Bloom on NA. (Though she does have darker hair and no English accent on NA, and I never knew the real name of the person who played Olivia.)

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2020 at 10:01 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Thank you Madison, for telling Kate that Toby should be able to share his fears and feelings without reprocussions! 

Boy Randall was spiraling to an asshole level at therapy. Proof he needs it.

Love the flash forward of Jack in the studio!

I think Randall made some good points.  I suspect that therapist is depressed or burned out.  No cups at the cooler, old magazines and the hissing noise. That is no way to run a business.  Her voice has a stressed/tired tone to it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

He! I just checked what Dr Maguire's office in 'Good Will Hunting'  looked like. Randall would have spent the whole time ranting about hoarders LOL!

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

On a side note, I watch New Amsterdam (though I'm not sure why at this point) and it's only this past week that I realized that his costar/girlfriend Olivia is Dr. Bloom on NA. (Though she does have darker hair and no English accent on NA, and I never knew the real name of the person who played Olivia.)

my mind has been blown

I never realized that!

You watch New Amsterdam because it is a 10/10 hatewatch

Edited by bros402
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I thought about it later, but I didn't get his annoyance at "Kevin is going to take Rebecca to her appointment" (which he commented on after checking a text in the therapist's office)...he was in Philly; was he planning to fly to LA after his therapy appointment to take her to the doctor? (Not that it's outside the realm of possibility for this show, but logistically, it doesn't make sense.)

I thought he was in LA.  Wasn't he just in the coffee shop with his sister, took date to the Legend two person concert, then showed up at his mom's to see her when he offered to take her to some record shops in LA?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, AnnaCody said:

I think Randall made some good points.  I suspect that therapist is depressed or burned out.  No cups at the cooler, old magazines and the hissing noise. That is no way to run a business.  Her voice has a stressed/tired tone to it. 

Maybe she has a terrible secretary?  I didn't get stressed/tired tone.  The therapists I've been too and taken my daughter to after my husband's death sound like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought he was in LA. 

That's correct.  They were in the Hollywood Bowl for the concert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:
  17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, I thought about it later, but I didn't get his annoyance at "Kevin is going to take Rebecca to her appointment" (which he commented on after checking a text in the therapist's office)...he was in Philly; was he planning to fly to LA after his therapy appointment to take her to the doctor? (Not that it's outside the realm of possibility for this show, but logistically, it doesn't make sense.)

I think the “he” AMS is referring to is Randall.  Randall is in Pennsylvania, but is upset that Kevin is taking Rebecca to her appointment in California.  The question is how Randall thought she would get to the appointment otherwise, especially considering how little he thinks of Miguel’s and his siblings’ abilities.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, SueB said:

What Kevin said was "Randall and I aren't talking" - which is a rift.  But @ShadowFacts comment about Randall calling his mother and not getting an answer is spot on -- a reunion may be in the offing.

I'd have to go back and find it, but I could have sworn Kevin's line was "We're not speaking, remember?" -- which is rather vague. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I hated Kate's line to Madison at brunch: "I really don't know what to make of all this. And it really couldn't have come at a more terrible time." Making it all about her, as usual! I fail to understand how Madison and Kevin knocking boots affects Kate in any way, much less is the impetus for a mea culpa brunch. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 1:53 PM, Higgins said:

That would be unlikely IRL. He wouldn't need hospitalization for panic attacks. I am an inpatient Psychiatric RN. Hospitalization is for people who are a danger to themselves and or others.

I agree, Randall would've been given medication to help him calm down in the ER.  He would've been assessed by a psychiatric intake specialist (often a psychiatric social worker) who would then report to the ER doc as to whether there was imminent danger to the patient and to others.  In Randall's case, he would've been sent home with a few doses of an anti-anxiety med and told to contact a psychiatrist for further evaluation and follow up.  Presuming he did actually go to see a psychiatrist in the immediate aftermath; he would've been referred for therapy to assess and treat his anxiety as well as perhaps advised of medications that could also help.  It would've been up to Randall to take the advice or leave it.  I think he probably went to the psychiatrist to please Beth and left it at that. 

Randall seems the type to reject medications and/or therapy as being unnecessary for himself as he can just buckle down and will it away just like he can force a teacher to change his grade.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 9:32 AM, SueB said:

I don't think she's padded.  I DO think the cape on stage at the Oscars (while singing) was a horrible look.  This picture on her Instagram shows a little bit better: the cap made her silhouette look much larger.  And the black on black against a black background really made it worse IMO.  

Red Carpet - pretty sure it's unaltered.  

I'm not saying it's a 100 pounds but she's lost some, I think.  

I don't think she is padded, either, if only because she has considerable girth under her chin and on her neck which appears virtually unchanged over the years.  Unless she has a makeup artist come and apply a prosthetic chin and neck before leaving the house, her weight seems to be fairly stable over time.

One thing that I do think has happened is that Chrissy has gotten a stylist and also gotten several designers to help her dress and she simply looks better now because she's getting good clothing that fits properly and suits her form.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, bros402 said:

You watch New Amsterdam because it is a 10/10 hatewatch

I believe that must be it. (Manifest is quickly getting there, too.)

7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think the “he” AMS is referring to is Randall.  Randall is in Pennsylvania, but is upset that Kevin is taking Rebecca to her appointment in California.  The question is how Randall thought she would get to the appointment otherwise, especially considering how little he thinks of Miguel’s and his siblings’ abilities.

Yes, exactly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I believe that must be it. (Manifest is quickly getting there, too.)

Yesss, Manifest seemed like it might've been a good one, then this season they jumped from "this is okay" to "the jetski is going towards the shark"

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, MissLucas said:

He! I just checked what Dr Maguire's office in 'Good Will Hunting'  looked like. Randall would have spent the whole time ranting about hoarders LOL!

They all need a Dr Sean McGuire on this show. They might have made him quit earlier but would have done a world of good. ; )

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, bros402 said:


You watch New Amsterdam because it is a 10/10 hatewatch

I watch New Amsterdam because I was a tween girl in the 70's and it's produced and occasionally written by Shaun Cassidy. Heh.

(As a grown woman now in her 50s, I may have peed a little the first time he 'liked' one of my tweets. #sorrynotsorry)

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

Here's an article about Chrissy's weight issues:

Quote

 

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/g19851351/chrissy-metz-weight-loss/

Chrissy told People in 2017 that she was a size 12 when she first began acting—but she dropped 50 pounds at the recommendation of her manager before moving to L.A. She became depressed when the acting jobs weren’t coming and said she was “eating my feelings”—so she gained more than 100 pounds before having a panic attack on her birthday that changed her attitude about her weight.

Chrissy lost 100 pounds in less than five months following that incident. “All I did was eat a 2,000-calorie diet and walk 20 minutes a day,” she said.

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Here's an article about Chrissy's weight issues:

 

If she was a size 12 and lost 50lbs, she'd be a 6 or 8. And presumably gaining 100 back from that would make her a 16 or 18 (maybe a 20, depending of course what she meant by 'more than'). If she's then lost a hundred pounds again, are we to understand she's a 6 or 8 or even a 12 again? That... is just not realistic. There are some numbers missing in the somewhere. To be clear, I don't care what anyone's weight or size is, but if you're going to put it out there, I think it behooves you to be clear about it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sake614 said:

Here's an article about Chrissy's weight issues:

Spoiler

 

 

I put in spoilers since this is not on the show.

Spoiler

Ref. the article.  I've never seen a photo of Chrissy where she appeared to be a size 12.  Even her childhood photos look larger than that. And, the article says that she lost weight just fine when she ate 2000 calories a day and walked a little. So, if that was such a great success, why did she stop?  She also says that she was heavy as a child because, if she ate the same as her friends, she gained weight and they did not.  So, she contradicts herself on that with the weight loss story.  Perhaps, she is misquoted in the article or they got it mixed up, but, it sounds like she's talking in circles and trying to convince everyone that she is fine with her size and that she doesn't care about weight.  It's sad and really disappointing. I do feel for her.   If she is so okay with being that large, then why did they shave over 100 pounds off her book cover photo?  She's never looked that thin in her professional life, that I have ever seen.  Why didn't they leave it untouched? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/26/2020 at 8:18 PM, izabella said:

Was it the painting in the doctor's office?  Was the girl with the balloons flying over clouds?  I just remember buildings.

The word "clouds" is in one of the songs played by Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now.  Remember, Kevin and Rebecca went to Joni Mitchell's house

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If she was a size 12 and lost 50lbs, she'd be a 6 or 8. And presumably gaining 100 back from that would make her a 16 or 18 (maybe a 20, depending of course what she meant by 'more than'). If she's then lost a hundred pounds again, are we to understand she's a 6 or 8 or even a 12 again? That... is just not realistic. There are some numbers missing in the somewhere. To be clear, I don't care what anyone's weight or size is, but if you're going to put it out there, I think it behooves you to be clear about it.

Totally disagree with her comment about big bodies being awesome and sexy .  Sorry, not in my books.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry if this is already asked and answered, but why do we again have to wait for three weeks for a new episode? Isn't it the third time they do that in one season? It's annoying. Next time I'll just watch them all together when the season is over. Just when you get into the story, you got to wait for three weeks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, himela said:

I'm sorry if this is already asked and answered, but why do we again have to wait for three weeks for a new episode? Isn't it the third time they do that in one season? It's annoying. Next time I'll just watch them all together when the season is over. Just when you get into the story, you got to wait for three weeks!

The last two gaps have been two-week, not three-week, gaps because of the State of the Union address and Super Tuesday, which are always covered by all networks.  Since This Is Us airs on Tuesdays, it, along with other primetime network shows on Tuesdays, is preempted for these events.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2020 at 12:33 AM, Mrs Shibbles said:
On 2/26/2020 at 11:24 PM, Roxie said:

Could reference: the title of the Joni Mitchell album is Clouds; Rebecca’s mind; storm clouds brewing in the Pearson family. 

Also the  song Rebecca was listening to from that album in the record store,  “Both Sides Now” mentions clouds related to changing perspectives on things at different times of your life.

Ahhhh, thanks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, himela said:

I'm sorry if this is already asked and answered, but why do we again have to wait for three weeks for a new episode? Isn't it the third time they do that in one season? It's annoying. Next time I'll just watch them all together when the season is over. Just when you get into the story, you got to wait for three weeks!

It is on next week, the 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, doodlebug said:

I don't think she is padded, either, if only because she has considerable girth under her chin and on her neck which appears virtually unchanged over the years.  Unless she has a makeup artist come and apply a prosthetic chin and neck before leaving the house, her weight seems to be fairly stable over time.

One thing that I do think has happened is that Chrissy has gotten a stylist and also gotten several designers to help her dress and she simply looks better now because she's getting good clothing that fits properly and suits her form.

This is true. Also for most women the first place we lose weight is our face (even if one wasn’t overweight or obese to start with). 
 

I am really loving the actor that plays preteen Kevin. I think he’s got such subtle control of his facial expressions. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I sometimes wonder if the teen actors watch the show and think "Wait a minute.  Do we have to grow up to be these assholes?"

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/4/2020 at 6:13 PM, debraran said:
On 3/4/2020 at 1:31 PM, himela said:

I'm sorry if this is already asked and answered, but why do we again have to wait for three weeks for a new episode? Isn't it the third time they do that in one season? It's annoying. Next time I'll just watch them all together when the season is over. Just when you get into the story, you got to wait for three weeks!

It is on next week, the 10th.

I think it was due to Super Tuesday - that's a guess, though. I get ragey when weeks are skipped, too. 

Share this post


Link to post

My TV guide still has it on tonight and it better be!  With all the stress in the news with caronavirus I want to be somewhere for an hour where there is nothing but fantasy.  : )

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved this episode. We don't see enough of Kevin/Rebecca bonding. I know that's on purpose so when we do see it, it's a treat. Rebecca telling her son that people need the laughs and the fun, and that's a wonderful quality was so touching. It was nice to see some resolution with Kate and Toby. But I'm sure that won't last too long. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Randall in therapy. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size