Type keyword(s) to search

Parks and Recreation in the Media

Just watching, holy crap Leslie's getting her haircut at Salvatore's. I forgot he appeared in the first season. This show has great continuity.

Ron just mentioned he has a brother that's in the Air Force. I wonder if it's Don, Lon or Vaughn?

Edited by VCRTracking

Found out today through twitter, that the finale will air at 10pm on Tuesday.  NBC doubled up the episodes, squashed the short final season, and now won't even play it at the 'regular' 8pm scheduled time slot.

NBC truly is run by idiots.  Oh, and Fuck You "The Voice."

NBC didn't know what they had. Like the Seattle Seahawks they are responsible for their own failure.

And the Flash is a rerun. At least I get to watch "Fresh Off the Boat" (I love Jessica Huang) instead of DVRing it. If they had aired it at 9 opposite the Agent Carter finale I would have been pissed.

NBC didn't know what they had.

I don't agree with this.  P&R, although I love it and it was a critical success, has never been a ratings success.  It is doubtful it would have survived this long on another network with its ratings.  Instead, because of ratings challenges at NBC, we have gotten seven seasons of this show.

As for doubling up episodes, moving the finale time slot, the thing is that the fans of P&R at this late date are the fans of P&R who are going to watch whenever it is on.  The move behind The Voice also likely means a ratings bump for the finale.

• Love 4

I don't agree with this.  P&R, although I love it and it was a critical success, has never been a ratings success.  It is doubtful it would have survived this long on another network with its ratings.  Instead, because of ratings challenges at NBC, we have gotten seven seasons of this show.

You're right, and they also kept Community around five seasons, considering it's low ratings which I should be grateful for. I know there are a lot of people online who've watched and love the show but it doesn't translate into whatever system the Nielsens use.

I made the observation in her thread that Leslie's rap in the second season premiere showed a major shift in her character and Meredith Borders from BADASS DIGEST agrees with me. Read her tribute to Leslie Knope and Amy Poehler:

http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/23/hail-to-the-knope/

Lots of great articles on the Parks and Rec from HitFix but I love this one from Drew McWeeny on the love story of April and Andy:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/april-and-andys-love-story-was-part-of-what-made-parks-and-rec-special

Hitfix TV critic Alan Sepinwall's essay:

How 'Parks and Recreation' found all-time greatness in simple goodness
A classic of the form defined by its indomitable heroine

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-parks-and-recreation-found-all-time-greatness-in-simple-goodness

Edited by VCRTracking

While I thought the finale was okay I think I felt more emotional seeing  the cast reunion on Late Night with Seth Meyers. I have memories of the disastrous drunken post-Cheers finale on the Jay Leno Tonight Show so this was nice. Having them toast each other was just sweet. Didn't know Aubrey knew Aziz the longest and Nick(who looks Amish now) calling Adam cute. Adam was going to Mark Brandanowicz? Wow that would have changed the show! I don't know why it's surprising that they got everybody including Chris Pratt  Even though he's as Jim O'Heir said a big movie star he's always loved being on the show. Also love that he wanted to have a Six Feet Under line saying Andy died because he was left locked in a car on a hot day. Him playing "1000 candles" with the cast and Mike Schur was the final great farewell for this wonderful, although Jim(Gerry) and Aubrey(April) making out will forever be burned into my brain!

Pilot of a show made by Second City in 1995  starring a young Amy Poehler. I never thought of lipstick denoting a decade but that lipstick color is sooooo "Nineties". Actually the entire video reeks of the 90s!

Edited by VCRTracking

biakbiak, I haven't made it past the intro. Made me too sad.

This podcast just came up in my rotation today. I usually listen to them at work. Like you, I have yet to make it through the intro. Hopefully I'll listen to it later, in a setting when I can deal with it. I always found Farts and Procreation episodes to be highly entertaining in their weird, almost anti-comedy.

Are there any soundtracks out there, or have any of the songs been (officially) released? There's so much music on that show, I can't believe I can't find any of it. I thought for sure they'd have music from season six's finale! (Though I swear I heard one on the radio... I don't know the name of the song, it sounds like "red dress" but I don't think I'm hearing it right when I watch the episode. It's an elderly man on a piano.)

It didn't and I don't think it was ever actually going to it wasn't reported in any of the main sources for Parks info and no one from the show was quoted confirming  it. Also, I just can't imagine them doing "hot latina nanny," especially given that Dratch one of Amy's best friends who has never actually been on the show played the nanny that seems a lot more likely than JLo.

Here's another interview with Schur. In it he says this of Werner Herzog's character name, Keg Jeggings:

Matt Murray designed it to flip all of the n's and g's so it was Keg Jeggigns (JEG-ines). But no joke, I said that was "too crazy." Somehow that crossed a line, to me. No idea why.

I don't get it.

Here's another interview with Schur. In it he says this of Werner Herzog's character name, Keg Jeggings:

I don't get it.

I believe it's a reference to Ken Jennings, the dude who had that massive run on Jeopardy and now is basically known for having a funny Twitter.

http://popwrapped.com/news/79777/leslie-knope-ron-swanson-official-thought-indiana-religious-freedom-restoration-act/

As written by Mike Schur and related by Nick Offerman to an audience at Indiana University:

“I’ve had a lot of people ask me how Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson would have felt about [The Religious Freedom Act]. I haven’t responded because the show is over and felt like the national discussion was coursing along at a fine speed. But then yesterday Ron Swanson texted me directly to ask for my thoughts, so now I have to answer, because he is Ron Fu***ing Swanson. I read one article that said confidently that both Leslie and Ron would have found things to like about the bill. To quote George F. Will, “This is nonsense on stilts.” Leslie Knope would have seen this bill for what it is, a carefully worded expertly constructed document that reminds gay, lesbian, and transgendered people that they are second class citizens. Leslie would have reminded us that recently as the late 1960s certain businesses tried shit like this, only they said God wanted only white people to eat in their restaurant. And she would have further reminded us that the Supreme Court had a good long laugh and told them to scram. Leslie would have said that while religious freedom is a basic and fundamental right, it is not more basic or more fundamental than the words “All men are created equal,” even though she would have then gone on a long rant about the use of the word men instead {Becomes unintelligible due to clapping]. And she might have also pointed out that religious freedom from government oppression is not the same thing as telling a gay couple you won’t bake them a cake to help them celebrate their desire to formalize their romantic love just because you get skeeved out by two dudes kissing. Then she would have told you to get over it for Christ sake, who you love is who you love, it’s 2015. She would have asked for people to recognize that every American citizen deserves respect. And that every citizen has to make small compromises in order to make room for everyone else. And finally Leslie would have asked that instead of passing bills that cloak basic intolerance in that nice sounding, but ultimately deceptive idea of religious freedom, maybe we should focus on passing laws that actually help people who, you know, have no food or jobs or something. Leslie would also be annoyed at herself for this final ad hominem attack on the bill we’re discussing, but she tend to get a little riled up and sometimes forgot her old debate club teachings.

As for Ron, he would have hated the bill because it was a bill made by the government.

• Love 6

Emmy nominations for Amy & the show:

Comedy Series
Louie
Modern Family
Parks & Recreation
Silicon Valley
Transparent
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Veep

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Edie Falco
Lisa Kudrow
Julia Louis Dreyfuss
Amy Poehler
Amy Schumer
Lily Tomlin

• Love 2

In general, or in a particular episode/scene?  Having trouble picturing Ron doodling!

Almost every episode, looks like a small crossword, but i can't picture Ron doing that either

Maybe he's writing down every word he knows.  Rectangle. America. Megaphone. Monday. Butthole.

• Love 1

Poehler is submitting the finale as her Emmy tape.

People seem to prefer Leslie and Ron, but think perhaps the overdue/sentiment factor could help her.

For Series it has like a 0.01% chance.