Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Family Van / S06.E15: Commencement

When the trusty family van takes a turn for the worse, Jessica and Louis each process the loss in their own way; the boys sneak off on a road trip to find their Washington, D.C., time capsule.

Jessica grapples with her vision of the future; the boys are each realizing what to label as their own goals.

Series finale. Airdate: February 21, 2020.

The joke where it turns out everyone has been anticipating Louis to divorce Jessica was great. 🤣  I also liked Louis's line where he said a good husband knows how to stalk his wife. What even XD.

Seeing Jessica so happy over Eddie's SAT scores and the possibility of going to Harvard was adorable. I liked the return of Jessica's life chart and all the other throwbacks to earlier episodes. I'll miss this show.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Seeing Jessica so happy over Eddie's SAT scores and the possibility of going to Harvard was adorable. I liked the return of Jessica's life chart and all the other throwbacks to earlier episodes. I'll miss this show.

Even in 1999 a Harvard interview would be ridiculous with the only a 1500 SAT and nothing else and I get him going to culinary school was a nod to real life Eddie Huang but he didn’t go and is against people going to culinary school so I thought that was shitty!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

🤮That sucked. A lot of wasted time on the family van. Let's remember they are very rich now, even though they decided not to keep the luxury home they purchased and stay in this little home. They would never still be driving a 20 year old p.o.s van. And the dealer would never be selling that piece of crap on his lot. This was a terrible 2 part finale. So much waste. Tie things up, should have seen Eddies friends, more of the neighbors, etc. Very disappointing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

For Randall Park’s directorial debut, it was a mixed bag.  Not really his fault, but I was hoping to see more of Eddie’s friends for the final hour, especially Alison. At least Jessica was less of a shrill than she has been the last 2 years, but like Modern Family, it was limping towards the finish line.  

• Love 4

The van episode was fine as a regular episode. Not even Jessica bugged me.

It was the final episode that disappointed me. We all know it was Evan graduating from Harvard from a mile away. Jessica was a bitch who made everything about her again. Even Eddie's rewards was because he finally lived up to her standards and not about Eddie at all. They brought back a bunch of characters and did nothing for them.

The only thing I liked was Andy Richter calling Jessica out for being a helicopter mom who ruined Eddie's (slim) chance of getting into Harvard. I also liked grandma still there at the end.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Even in 1999 a Harvard interview would be ridiculous with the only a 1500 SAT and nothing else and I get him going to culinary school was a nod to real life Eddie Huang but he didn’t go and is against people going to culinary school so I thought that was shitty!

This is mildly annoying.  My daughter got an excellent education and was offered an AMAZING job sight-unseen just based on her going to the Culinary Institute of America.  She has already been promoted and she just graduated in 2018.  You don't HAVE to go to culinary school, but it really does help climb the ladder faster.  I don't think anyone should be AGAINST it.

22 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

The van episode was fine as a regular episode. Not even Jessica bugged me.

It was the final episode that disappointed me. We all know it was Evan graduating from Harvard from a mile away. Jessica was a bitch who made everything about her again. Even Eddie's rewards was because he finally lived up to her standards and not about Eddie at all. They brought back a bunch of characters and did nothing for them.

The only thing I liked was Andy Richter calling Jessica out for being a helicopter mom who ruined Eddie's (slim) chance of getting into Harvard. I also liked grandma still there at the end.

Yeah, that was dumb.  It obviously wasn't going to be Eddie.

What was Emory?  Was he some sort of inspirational speaker/self-help kind of person?  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Jessica was a bitch who made everything about her again.

Nothing surprising there, it would be untrue to the series to change it now.  The only thing I thought was off was Louis being caught off guard by her "I did it" comment.  As if it were the first time she had said such a thing.

Both of the final episodes had the "Yeah" song in it, so thumbs up there.  And a lot of flashbacks in both.

I kept expecting the police or park security to confront the kids about digging all  those holes.  The bag of farts with the skull and crossbones was funny.

I've been attached to a few cars in my life, but you have to face reality, they are machines.  At some point you have to move on from them, that's just reality, deal with it.

I didn't know Randall Park was directing, and I never noticed it, so he must have done a good job.  Overall, a fitting ending for the series.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Whimsy said:

This is mildly annoying.  My daughter got an excellent education and was offered an AMAZING job sight-unseen just based on her going to the Culinary Institute of America.  She has already been promoted and she just graduated in 2018.  You don't HAVE to go to culinary school, but it really does help climb the ladder faster.  I don't think anyone should be AGAINST it.

A ton of chefs, many who actually went to good culinary schools are completely against the model (Dan Barber, David Chang, Wylie, etc.) but my issue is that Eddie Huang, I understand the show is no longer connected, actively did not go! He went to a fairly crappy college and then law school and practiced on a very junior level and found his passion after. I just thought the last eps were shitty about finding “your passion” and reframed it really poorly.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

my issue is that Eddie Huang, I understand the show is no longer connected, actively did not go! He went to a fairly crappy college and then law school and practiced on a very junior level and found his passion after. 

It would have been hard to squeeze all that into the final episode.  I guess the culinary school was an easy shortcut way of indicating his future.  But since the show was loosely based on Eddie's book, it does come off as a little strange.  I wouldn't say it was disrespectful though. 

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

A ton of chefs, many who actually went to good culinary schools are completely against the model (Dan Barber, David Chang, Wylie, etc.) but my issue is that Eddie Huang, I understand the show is no longer connected, actively did not go! He went to a fairly crappy college and then law school and practiced on a very junior level and found his passion after. I just thought the last eps were shitty about finding “your passion” and reframed it really poorly.

I just meant that I found it annoying that the real Eddie Huang is against culinary school. I have respect for chefs who don’t go, but I don’t think they should actively be against it. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Whimsy said:

I just meant that I found it annoying that the real Eddie Huang is against culinary school. I have respect for chefs who don’t go, but I don’t think they should actively be against it. 

Sorry I understood what you meant. I just found it super annoying given his path that is what they went with for him. I guess because Jessica was such an asshole these later seasons that I would have adored if he went to college, got his law degree and than was like fuck you, mom I am opening a tiny restaurant on the lower east side that would become a hit (and take at least one of his brothers on his journey).

56 minutes ago, rmontro said:

It would have been hard to squeeze all that into the final episode.  I guess the culinary school was an easy shortcut way of indicating his future.  But since the show was loosely based on Eddie's book, it does come off as a little strange.  I wouldn't say it was disrespectful though. 

I disagree about the disrespectful part because the reason he wrote the book that it was based on his experience trying to be what his parents decided he should be and going back into restaurants.

Glad that we got to see Eddie's friends again as well as the ladies from the HOA, the cop and the principal. Also glad that Grandma was still alive and doing so well at Evan's graduation. Nice too that Trent was working with Eddie in his restaurant. 

I'll miss this show. 

• Love 4
On 2/22/2020 at 6:38 AM, biakbiak said:

An interview without an application makes no sense. No exclusive school would interview the many thousands of kids who scored 1500 and above without any indication of interest. They quite possibly would have sent a letter inviting the student to consider applying.

Furthermore, HS juniors don't have interviews. More unrealistic than Andy Richter subbing for Conan or making a house call.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, mtlchick said:

At least Jessica was less of a shrill than she has been the last 2 years, but like Modern Family, it was limping towards the finish line.  

Modern Family is an aged sitcom, but it can still deliver laughs and the characters have stayed true to who they were when it started.  The difference is that those characters behave more like people in real life and the writing was sharp for the majority of its run.  Most of the characters in Fresh Off the Boat were cartoons.  The worst of all in that regard was the grandmother, a selfish, narcissist.  Jessica was a self-centered harpy.  I always felt like whoever was in charge simply didn't like women. I'm still amazed that it was picked up for this season because it really seemed done for a long time.

I was waiting for the Disney World trip and it was nothing.  A fake parking lot.  Oh well, guess ABC/Disney didn't want to pay for location shooting.  

This was a series that just kind of limped to an ending.  Although I loved seeing Eddie's friends, I couldn't believe they didn't have any lines (other than Trent of course).  I did like the make-up on Eddie at the Harvard graduation (goatee, etc., like the real Eddie).

Just glad that I don't have to watch Jessica any more which was usually the low point of any episode for me.

• Love 1

I was disappointed in this finale. All that built up leads to Evan’s graduation and no payoff for Eddie himself. He should have said eff this and give two middle fingers to Jessica for being such a harpy all these years. The writers did not let Jessica grow. She devolved as a character. Andy’s criticism of Jessica was the highlight in this lackluster finale.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 3

Alumni interviews are usually just a sales pitch to get a student to apply as much as anything else, as are early "interviews" with admissions. The only thing off to me was that it was at their house vs meeting in Stsrbucks or Panera for a half hour time slot. It's basically a blind date arranged by the college board or ACT people. Alumni are usually used when there aren't enough people in the area to make it worth sending an admissions rep. You also see alumni reps at college fairs-they knoW nothing about the college thafisn't in the flyer they are handing out, since they graduated decades ago, but they are sure enthusiastic🙂

And I don't know how common it was in the 1980's, but in the 2020's, yeah, colleges will actively encourage applications from kids who are barely or not at all qualified because it makes them look good to be selective and reject a lot of people. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Useful 1

My favorite joke was everyone thinking that Louis was "finally" divorcing Jessica. I mean, I've wondered the same thing...

Not a horrible finale, but it didn't really seem like a finale episode, even during the flash forward.  I wanted to see more of the supporting cast (Eddies friends besides Trent didn't get any lines!) and to actually see people finishing an arc. The only person who really seemed to finish an arc was Eddie. Jessica especially has learned her lesson approximately a thousand times and it has never stuck.

Well show, I wish you had ended on better note, but you gave me a lot of fun episodes and laughs. Its been real *yeahhhhh**

• Love 7
On 2/29/2020 at 6:44 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Seeing those old clips of the kids showed how much the kids changed. They were really aging out their roles. And Evan was as tall or much taller than Constance Wu. I noticed how tall he was becoming this season and his voice was deep.

At least they got out while the kids still looked age appropriate.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:20 PM, seacliffsal said:

I was waiting for the Disney World trip and it was nothing.  A fake parking lot.  Oh well, guess ABC/Disney didn't want to pay for location shooting.  

I thought this was a funny twist on how most of the 90s ABC sitcoms had Disney episodes. 

I enjoyed the finale but didn’t love it. Honestly, I’m glad the show is over because I haven’t been enjoying the last few years but felt bad abandoning it. 

• Love 4

Finally got around to this.  

The van episode was very unfunny, and a total waste of airtime.  Considering how the actual final half hour felt pretty rushed.  They couldn't have written one last arc with Eddie's friends instead?  I can't believe Chestnut got three lines while they got none.

I guess it's fitting that in the final episode, Jessica and Evan made everything about themselves, since that was what drove this show into the ground.  

Too bad the ex-employees at Cattleman's and Nicole couldn't have made a cameo.  Then, again, they would probably just be standing in the background while we listened to off-key singing, so maybe there really wasn't any point.

I can't remember why I stopped watching this show.  As an Asian American, I was rooting for it. The last episode I remember watching as it aired was the one with Jessica's dad's funeral? I re-watched the Pilot because I heard Eddie Huang on a podcast say that was the only episode he actually liked.  All of the episodes are on HULU and I have been at home like many others - I started re-watching.  I don't remember any of these shows. 

Side note - I loved Crazy Rich Asians.  When all of the backlash against Constance Wu started, I began to see her in a different light.  Re-watching makes me see how unlikable the role of Jessica is.

After watching "Always be my Maybe" - I was hoping for some rework of the show with Ali Wong replacing Constance.

• Love 1