Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
auntjess

Save My Skin

Recommended Posts


I've been known to stop taking a medication against doctor's orders, but the eczema patient even quit using OTC moisturizers! Come on, girl.

It seems we can't escape the food comparisons by folks popping bumps and cysts. The doctor and nurses were also quite verbally effusive: "Whee!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

As a lifelong eczema sufferer, I was mystified why Louise abandoned treatment. My parents had to tie me to my bed when I was a toddler, in order to prevent me from scratching myself bloody. If corticosteroids had existed, we would have been overjoyed-all we had were calamine lotion and ultraviolet light treatments.

There are side effects to everything, but as the derm noted, leaving this untreated opens your skin up to horrendous bacterial invasion and potential widespread scarring or worse. I also couldn't understand how taking an immuno-suppressant was acceptable to Louise, who I honestly think has some untreated emotional problems.

I was also confused about how the back-acne guy was claiming his cysts would explode spontaneously while he was at work. Based on what we saw of his condition, the cysts took a lot of cutting and squeezing to open up. Also, revolting as it sounds, maybe the wife needs to help out with those giant blackheads- it seemed kind of extravagant to pay a Harley Street doctor for such a mundane task.

I prefer this to Dr. PP, just for the attractive surroundings and accents!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I was surprised there was no follow up with the keloid patient on the last show. Maybe it didn’t work out well?

I was going to say that I am a sucker for a Scots accent, then I read that Dr. Emma is originally from Northern Ireland (although trained in Scotland).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, Rickster said:

I was surprised there was no follow up with the keloid patient on the last show. Maybe it didn’t work out well?

I was going to say that I am a sucker for a Scots accent, then I read that Dr. Emma is originally from Northern Ireland (although trained in Scotland).

I thought it was a Scottish accent too.   Eczema girl must not have realized that the immunotherapy was more dangerous that the steroid cream.  And to go cold turkey off steroids like that. That looked miserable.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The first patient - that poor woman with the neurofibromas - did they say if she actually has them in her mouth too? She sort of had a speech impediment.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, seasons said:

The first patient - that poor woman with the neurofibromas - did they say if she actually has them in her mouth too? She sort of had a speech impediment.

I am guessing she has some hearing loss that impacts her speech as she was wearing hearing aids. I can’t imagine how irritated those “lumps and bumps” get where they rub up against each other and her clothes. That batch around her bra strap looked extra miserable. So glad she’s able to stand the removal so well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I'm glad @auntjess got us a place to talk about this show.

I'm such a fan. Thanks for the info on Dr. Emma. I hadn't looked her up but her accent struck me as Irish. 

I'm with @sempervivum, in thinking that Louise, the young woman with eczema, has some emotional/psychological problems. I really didn't follow her logic as to quitting the treatments she'd been given and then suffering such horrendous symptoms. Including such an increased risk of severe infection. Her parents were willing and able to house and support her while she essentially rendered herself disabled; I hope she appreciates that not every person in her situation would have that kind of housing and support. IIRC her mom has eczema too so I suppose was more patient with Louise than many would be, but I have an idea that mom was MORE than ready for Louise to get a grip and get some effective treatment. 

I've actually happily watched repeats of the few episodes that have aired so far, since I've missed things on first viewing. (I rarely just sit and watch TV; I'm usually reading, or on the laptop, doing little tasks around the house, etc.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Another good episode tonight. Dr Emma and staff help people so much. I prefer this show to dr lee, this one not as cutesy if that makes sense. Of course dr lee helps so many as well though! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, seasons said:

Another good episode tonight. Dr Emma and staff help people so much. I prefer this show to dr lee, this one not as cutesy if that makes sense. Of course dr lee helps so many as well though! 

I agree. I think this show has a better balance of backstories and procedures. I also like the follow up visits in the office, which doesn’t seem to happen that much with Dr Lee.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting that Dr. Emma's got herself all branded as a 'Mohs surgeon', which is apparently a thing.

For some reason, it seems that Dr. Emma has much more medical equipment than Dr. Lee- I was impressed by her multi-technique approach to the soldier with cystic acne scars. I know Dr. Lee has had patients with that, but I don't think she ever did 4 different things to them. But then, a lot of her patients don't seem to see her more than once or twice.

Dr. Emma's daughter is a cutie-pie; I'm impressed that the doc bikes to work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2020 at 12:27 PM, sempervivum said:

For some reason, it seems that Dr. Emma has much more medical equipment than Dr. Lee- I was impressed by her multi-technique approach to the soldier with cystic acne scars. I know Dr. Lee has had patients with that, but I don't think she ever did 4 different things to them. But then, a lot of her patients don't seem to see her more than once or twice.

I think Dr Emma is an NHS doctor, and the government pays for the patients.
With Dr. Lee, she treats them from all over for just whatever TLC or her youtube channel pay, and her patients often come from hundreds or a thousand or so miles, so she sometimes arranges local follow-ups for them.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Really enjoying this show. Already it seems there are more tv episodes than dr lee lately. But of course dr lee has tons of videos on YouTube. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:17 PM, auntjess said:

I think Dr Emma is an NHS doctor, and the government pays for the patients.
With Dr. Lee, she treats them from all over for just whatever TLC or her youtube channel pay, and her patients often come from hundreds or a thousand or so miles, so she sometimes arranges local follow-ups for them.

I could be wrong, but I had assumed that Dr. Emma was a private physician, at least for the patients she sees at her London office.  It is in a very nice area with a lot of private practices.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The guy on the most recent episode with the huge lipoma on the back of his head that Dr. Emma had to refer out - when the other doctor was operating on him it didn't look like he got the entire thing. And then at the end during the follow-up when they showed him from the side it still looked like he had a large bump on the back of his head, plus an ugly scar. Did anyone else notice this?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jadzia said:

The guy on the most recent episode with the huge lipoma on the back of his head that Dr. Emma had to refer out - when the other doctor was operating on him it didn't look like he got the entire thing. And then at the end during the follow-up when they showed him from the side it still looked like he had a large bump on the back of his head, plus an ugly scar. Did anyone else notice this?

I wondered if the whole thing was out but the surgeon sure seemed to think it was. And yes I thought the back of his head looked to be an odd shape afterwards. I thought that maybe  there was swelling that just hadn't yet gone down, at the site of the incision. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Jadzia said:

The guy on the most recent episode with the huge lipoma on the back of his head that Dr. Emma had to refer out - when the other doctor was operating on him it didn't look like he got the entire thing. And then at the end during the follow-up when they showed him from the side it still looked like he had a large bump on the back of his head, plus an ugly scar. Did anyone else notice this?

Yes, we wondered too. My girlfriend thought maybe there was a pouch of loose skin they hadn’t tightened up for some reason. I didn’t see a really good “after” close up, like they did for the before pictures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so happy this show is back.  My heart (and skin) hurt so much seeing the young woman with psoriasis.  Thankfully the medication is making a huge difference in both her skin and joints. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm glad this show is back too, but the two new episodes I saw tonight felt different to me. Dr Emma seemed kind of giggly and not as serious, even with patients. And more banter with the nurses, like Dr Sandra Lee, which got annoying and unnecessary imo. 

Wonder if Dr Emma was told to lighten it up a little? Ugh. I hope not. I liked the more serious vibe of season one.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size