Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Part V

• Start Topic

There has to be something more , otherwise we are just waiting around for Jaimie to get arrested. Are we supposed to believe someone that disturbed was able to live a perfectly normal life for 10-15 years and then suddenly became a manic. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I love Bill Pullman but this is getting ridiculous.   SO BORING.  Arrest this guy already.  Watching him week after week - ugh.  Sorry, Jamie actor - you're just not compelling enough to carry this (or maybe it's the writing). 

This is whatever the opposite of suspense is.  They tell us all along that Jamie killed that guy, so what.  It doesn't advance the story at all.  The was a one and done character, we already know that Jamie is mentally deteriorating. 

Are we supposed to care now that Bill's grandson is - gasp - in danger? 

Edited by mjc570
more thoughts
  • Love 10

Last week I was defending this show (actually just this season, as I never saw the first two), but this episode really bugged me.  We saw that the psychic guy was murdered and wondered about it, but it turns out Jamie went back and killed him.  Great, so Jamie really is a cold-blooded killer.  Harry is in some deep shit now, largely due to all the risks he took last episode that Soto tried to talk him out of (not getting a warrant, etc) but I suppose that's not really a surprise.  Jamie and Leela are on the outs apparently.

Things are really just completely despressing now, and hard to watch.  I still think that the actors are turning in some amazing performances, but the story still has to at least make sense, the things they do still have to make sense, otherwise you're just watching a bunch of people do a bunch of random things.

But... we're five episodes into an eight-episode season, so at this point I'm going to stick with it.  Might as well see how it all ends.

• Love 3
(edited)

Harry Ambrose is a nut. He has been a nut since season 1.

He obviously at first had a guy crush on Jamie and that made him behave in an unprofessional manner. He then kissed that witness, Sonya Barzel. Then, he tried to kill Jamie.

How can he land on his feet after this season? He is as crazy as Jamie. 

Ad by the way, what happened with Jamie's wife two years ago that made him stand by her? 

ETA: This is some really crappy script writing. It is so stupid. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
added content
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was thinking that the only way this season could go from being total crap to really being clever is with a pivot and total shift to making this all about Harry. 

Jamie could be the subplot, a device used to show that Harry is the real psycho and sinner. Harry's layers are really being peeled off with this season. We are getting more than glimpses into who Harry is. 

And the writers might just have fooled us all! If so, kudos. I was played.

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think the only thing I could find interesting is if Jamie is just imagining  he killed the psychic and someone is controlling him thru hypnosis or some other way. I never buy into the idea that a person can be perfectly normal for decades then turn into a maniac. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I think the only thing I could find interesting is if Jamie is just imagining  he killed the psychic and someone is controlling him thru hypnosis or some other way. I never buy into the idea that a person can be perfectly normal for decades then turn into a maniac. 

I think a lot of this is going on inside Harry's head.  Harry's whole attachment to Jamie is so crazy. I just keep feeling there is going to be a major twist. Something is off. 

But the writers for this show are very weird. I remember last season they never explained why the kid wanted to kill those two adults in the motel. 

interesting review but the writer of the article gets it wrong: it is Harry's grandson not nephew. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2

Harry ‘s obsession is an old trope-the detective who wants to “get” the bad guy and put him away no matter what tactics he has to use. This story has been done in a ton of books. I am hoping there is more to the story and more to the painter.

• Love 2

I’m just not sure how they are going to drag this story out for 3 more episodes. The season started out very good but it’s fizzling now IMO, I’m just not sure if there are any more twists that can come, I just wonder if Jamie has committed past crimes, either with Nick in college or in the years without Nick, it seems odd that someone as obviously disturbed as Jamie would be able to lead a normal life for so long. And I wonder what happened with Jamie’s wife 2 years ago? 

It just seems like there isn’t much left to do except wait for Jamie to be arrested. And Ambrose’s boss has the right to question his judgment on this case. And Ambrose becoming romantically involved with the artist adds nothing to the show. And Jamie threatening Ambrose’s grandson, very cliched. 

I’m curious to see how this season will end, and I’m hoping for some good twists, but it seems like there isn’t much left to be resolved at this point, just how Jamie will finally be brought down. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I am still enjoying it. I am interested in knowing if there is something with the artist. She told Jamie’s wife for a reason that seems more than just keeping her safe. 

I don’t really worry about the fact that Jamie may have tried to have a normal life. Other serial killers in real life have done this as well, so his story doesn’t seem unrealistic to me. That he couldn’t hold onto normal life and sought out Nick when he was about to become a father seems pretty realistic. Having a child, especially your first child, is a major stressor.

Ambrose has always been so interesting as he is so on the edge. They haven’t shown his self-harm in a long time, I am not sure they even did much of last season? Maybe he will lose it too, maybe he will kill Jamie to “protect” others.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 8

I'm still not buying Nick as the ringleader in all of this.  They've shown how charismatic Jamie is, how he just made all those friends at the bar.  Nick is awkward and appears anti-social.  Those types of peeps normally don't seduce people.  People like Jamie seduce people.

I think that artist is going to be move involved with the two of them and that she knows them - possibly painted one of them before.

• Love 2

Right before Harry got to her place, Sonya was looking at some photographs, and Jamie was in them along with someone else.  I couldn't tell who the other person was.  She stashed them when she saw Harry's car pull up.

So Harry concluding that that Nick and Jamie targeting her was completely random, based on the fortune-teller paper thing, seems to not be accurate (as we've all suspected anyway).  So here's yet another thing that they'll reveal to us at some point.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure the photographs were from when she was following Jamie at the train station. So it was after the accident, when she knew who he was. She may still turn out to have some connection to one or both of them, but the photos don't tell us anything.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Didn't the artist pause when first shown the pictures by the cops and I thought then she knew them or Nick. I wonder if she is part of that weird cult and that is why Jaime was being driven there. It's all a little weird now and only the love of one or more characters makes it bearable.

Edited by debraran

Just watching and finished epi 5 tonight. Jaime seems like an emo teenager. Yet he's a grown man. Just not that great of a storyline. The artist lady did tell Ambrose she was stalked once. I think there is more to her. I feel like she's the one manipulating all this. Who knows, but I am not feeling this season. 

• Love 1