Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Home is Where Your Spouse Is

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Derek's dad, learned from his divorce and gave good advice. Idk why Katie is so hung up on the " Derek can't fall in love in 8 weeks" thing.

Because despite having diabetes (!!!) she is very immature 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I agree.  Katie is very full of herself and I don’t get why.  Derek deserves better, and someone please tell me WHY is he still sleeping with her when she is still crying about her ex?  Derek and Mindy have no shame.

Mindy is desperate and deluded. As for Derek: "Why?" Because he can! And maybe he's hoping his amorous abilities can win her over. That "no shame" mantle belongs strictly on KATIE'S shoulders! 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, ShowFan said:

Not seeing your connection here. People are born with Type 1 diabetes. My late cousin's wife is an example, and, apropos to Katie and Derek, why she decided not to have children. 

9 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Reasons 1198 and 2947 why he’s supremely unattractive to me. I’d rather have Zach. He wouldn’t have to say a single word. Just show up topless and silent and we’ll go from there. 

Can’t bullshit a bullshitter. 

Whoever had the idea to have five couples and extend the show to two hours should be fired. This is excruciatingly boring. 

Meka is exhausting. Does she ever have anything positive to say? Ever?

The way Katie spoke to her mother at their lunch was shocking. Sounds like there is some resentment there. She’s a mess. And very basic. Like basic is a step up. Maybe several steps up. 

Also, the number of times the word like was spoken during this episode!! I think Mindy is the only woman to not use it 100 times in three sentences. 

I'll take Zach and Derek over Brandon and Michael any day of the week.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Mindy is desperate and deluded. As for Derek: "Why?" Because he can! And maybe he's hoping his amorous abilities can win her over. That "no shame" mantle belongs strictly on KATIE'S shoulders! 

O.k. .. that makes sense.  Katy better be careful then.  She might wind up with neither one of them.  The one she’s still pining for and Derek.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Recap of next week's preview (and boy, does it look like a shitshow)

Pastor Cal voice over: "Next time on Married at First Sight..."

Austin, removing note from front door of apartment: "We got a little note on the door."

PC: "With only five weeks left until Decision Day..."

Cut to Michael opening envelope and passing note to Meka. Meka reads it, smiling.

Cut to Zach and Mindy standing outside on a river bank; Mindy is holding a similar note.

PC: "Our couples will focus on their spouse to uncover what love is really about."

Cut to Derek and Katie, sitting at table. Derek is looking at Katie and she is wiping away a tear, but she is smiling, so I don't think she's upset.

Back to Zach and Mindy at river; Zach is reading the note the note aloud: "What will it take to fall in love in the real world?" Zach says, "I feel like this is it for sure." Cut to Mindy, smiling.

Cut to Jessica and Austin, sitting on living room couch. Jessica: "Were you in love before?" Austin: "Yeah." Jessica: "How long were you together before you said I love you?" Austin: "A year." Cue dramatic music. Jessica in ITM: "For me, that's a long time." Back to Austin: "I just can't rush into that type of word." (What is with these non-committal guys anyway?) 

Cut to Katie and Derek in bed. Derek: "I do think it's [bleep] that it's a red flag that I haven't found love yet." Katie looks a bit skeptical.

Cut to Michael and Meka, on couches. (I notice they never seem to sit together). Michael: "Despite the fact that we're married there are just certain things I'd like to keep to myself."  Meka: "But when facing uncomfortable situations, your reaction is to lie." Michael stands up, and walks away. Michael in kitchen ITM: "This notion that I'm like, out here just lying, it's ridiculous." He shuts his eyes and shakes his head.

Cut to Brandon, putting on backpack in apartment. Brandon voiceover: "Taylor made an instagram post where she is a single woman."  Cue Taylor in IG live saying, "I feel like I have the most minimum [bleep] requirements to finding a man, and not a soul meets them." Holy crap, she has a list posted: 6'3"+; No record; [blacked out line]; Sane; Fine as hell; Got a job. (Bottom of the screen says: "Can be any race as long as the {eggplant emoji} right".

Reveal spoiler

The blacked out line says "Not gay"

Cut to Michael and Brandon, outside at night. Brandon: "This was malicious. You were trying to hurt me, and your message was received." 

Good Lord, what a mess this is turning out to be.

Don't blame Taylor not one nary bit for that Insta video. Her "husband" ignored her on her honeymoon and told her to fuck off. She IS single. Yes, almost all of these young people need serious counseling and are way too immature for marriage. But I remember how it feels to be hurt, and it is normal to lash out as part of the healing process. I dunno if marriage will even work for the younger generations. It's treated more like having a wedding and then long term dating to see where things lead. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Something about Jessica annoys me . Number one , her posture .. but just in general . I also thought it was rude that austin cooked for her and she was like “ well , it was edible .” That’ll make someone not want to do it again . 

katie is exhausting . I’m still so confused . They seemed obsessed with each other on the honeymoon . What happened between then and when they moved into the apartment ? I guess when you start off on such a high , there’s nowhere to go but lower .. but I still think something happened that we don’t know about . I cannot stand Katie’s way of talking . Anyone else ? 

On unfiltered , Taylor has Michael seemed to have daggers out for each other . 

• Love 9

Can they please do something more than shop for spices together?

Also, they are spending too much time with the other couples. It has become a group experiment.  Up next, Brandon and Michael don't get along!

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Can they please do something more than shop for spices together?

Also, they are spending too much time with the other couples. It has become a group experiment.  Up next, Brandon and Michael don't get along!

Agreed . In the earlier seasons , the couples never interacted . I don’t mind them interacting because they’re all going through the same thing .. but it’s overkill at this point . Once every few episodes will do . It’s also not a good way to start off their marriage by comparing their relationships with all the other ones .

• Love 16

Sure but Katie’s idea of happiness has her living in fantasy land. Her mom was trying to bring her back to earth. She has some ideal that she wants her perfect man to be and her mom was trying to let her know that’s not going to happen. She should try working on appreciating what she’s got. Plus, more important than her looks, her attitude is nasty. 

I wasn't commenting on whether her expectations were realistic or not, but rather the comments about her "punching above her weight" or being "full of herself." I don't think she has a lack of appreciation for Derek but there are some things she doesn't like about him. That's fine - she's allowed.

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Not seeing your connection here. People are born with Type 1 diabetes. My late cousin's wife is an example, and, apropos to Katie and Derek, why she decided not to have children. 

I think the connection is that some of the experts thought that Katie was too young for MAFS and Dr. Pepper thought having serious medical condition made Katie more mature than an average 25 year old.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Why not? I don't necessarily love Katie but I'll give her this - she was born with a face full of freckles and she doesn't try to cover them with an inch of makeup or laser them off because society tells her they are unattractive. She is confident and thinks she deserves to be happy. Why would we want her to be any other way? I don't think she is arrogant but I think that society spends a lot of time telling young women all the reasons they aren't worthy and don't measure up. Good for Katie for being confident and feeling like she deserves happiness. As the mom of a teenaged daughter, I wish I saw much more of this in young women than I typically do.

It's one thing to be confident, that's fine if she is.  But it's another thing to put another person down like she did with Derek, saying he lacked "game."  Her mom should have asked her exactly what she meant by that comment.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

On Unfiltered Zach said that Mindy told him they should see other people which is why he didn’t move in.  He said it happened off camera.  Did anyone else who watched Unfiltered hear this?  I call bs.  Big time. 

I watched it just now so I could confirm.  About 4 minutes in.  He says the last night (or the dinner night) of Panama he says in response to his "no chemistry" remarks, that she said she wants a divorce.  He says the next day he says she says "we should see other people" and adds "we can go to our own places."

I agree.  I don't think that's how this went down.  

I can imagine she might say "if you can't get on board with the process, I want a divorce."  And "If you still feel that way, maybe we ought to move on and see other people"... But WordSalad Zach just cuts and pastes her words the way he wants them.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 15
12 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Someone should probably tell Katie that 26 is still relatively young.  She is behaving as though it's her last chance at love.

Katie said in one of the first episodes that, because of her diabetes, she shouldn't wait too late to have children if she wants them.  So guess she is anxious to find the right one, so she's able to have children sooner than later.  BTW, NOT a Katie fan!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:
4 hours ago, ShowFan said:

Because.....
The exspurts said that her having diabetes made her be very mature (!!!).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't think Katie is bad but she is definitely far less mature than the experts thought. 

I love Derek calling bullshit next week on this whole never been on love thing. It's a thing if you want to make it that way. 

Brandon is not great but any stretch but Taylor is being super passive aggressive. It's like if you keep bringing up cheating with someone you are with who did cheat on you but you stayed with them. If you are going to do that, you can't keep bringing it up or not trying to move past it. Mentality she is out. Which is fine. Good for her. Fucking leave then!

I don't have a problem with Mindy's friend. You need someone that's going to ride for you. Her family is out of the picture on this one. She needs the support. Zach also needs his feet put the fire.

They hit the nail on the head during couples couch. With Jessica and Austin, I think being snarky is their dynamic but they need to be careful (especially Jessica) because it's not always going to come off that way.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Something about Jessica annoys me . Number one , her posture .. but just in general . I also thought it was rude that austin cooked for her and she was like “ well , it was edible .” That’ll make someone not want to do it again . 

She's pescatarian...so that's got to be difficult for the non-following spouse.  He cooked for her two kinds of grains, and then had some kind of "meatballs" on the plates too. 😮

I hope the "it was edible" comments were more along the lines of humor.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, shouldbedancing said:

I love how Katie’s mom was subtly telling her that she’s punching above her weight and she should really work to make this work and Katie instantly turned into a super bitch. She really has a lofty sense of herself. And shes very anal retentive about potty talk for someone who made Derek inject her on like night 3. These two aren’t going to make it.

Her mom wasn't dissing her but said Katie is constantly trying to find something better. Maybe mom knows she doesn't give people a good chance. Katie got defensive & became nasty with mom over her "negativity". 🙄

10 hours ago, princelina said:

So that was a lunch?  I was confused because to me getting together with friends at a bar to play giant jenga is a happy hour/evening activity, and drinking mimosas is a brunch activity. 

I was referring to the lunch (or whatever) with just the men. Zach & Brandon aren't into this process. They were just meeting show requirements, getting screen time & free food.

10 hours ago, princelina said:

I agreed with everything Mindy's friend said about Zach EXCEPT the spelling of his name. 

She's Mindy's attack dog (was gonna say bulldog but they're so damn cute).

On unfiltered , Taylor has Michael seemed to have daggers out for each other . 

Taylor clearly can't stand Michael, who seems very uncomfortable on every Unfiltered. He squirms & sinks so deep into his chair he looks like he wants to become part of it & disappear.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Leilani said:

Zach could pay for billboards all over town: MINDY I'M NOT ATTRACTED TO YOU and she'd still not understand what the problem is and waiting for him to decide to give it a go. lol

While I agree with you, in Mindy's defense, he keeps following up "I'm not attracted to you" with "I need space for the attraction to grow." Add that to the experts telling her to trust the process, and she believes there's hope. If Zach would seriously say that he's not attracted to her and doesn't see this relationship going past the friend stage, I'm sure she'd totally get it. But he keeps talking around that so that he can continue getting screen time.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Captain Asshat said:

If Zach would seriously say that he's not attracted to her and doesn't see this relationship going past the friend stage

I'm not sure it is even close to the friend stage.

• Love 8

I have not been keeping up .  I watched the first and second shows of course with FF.  I noticed even all of Zachs friends talked about his looks.  I think he is like some of our politicians, and actors ; they have the wrong people whispering in their ears.  He thinks way too much of himself and is fed it .  He has great hair.  without it, he is a 5 out of 10

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, MajorNelson said:

She's pescatarian...so that's got to be difficult for the non-following spouse.  He cooked for her two kinds of grains, and then had some kind of "meatballs" on the plates too. 😮

I hope the "it was edible" comments were more along the lines of humor.

I think it was just one type of grain. They said spaghetti but it appeared to be only meatballs and sauce with no pasta. I noticed that Jessica did not eat her veggie medley. I always notice when people are tossing food. 

Katie's freckles have nothing to do with her unattractiveness. She's just not that cute to me and on top of that she has a really bitchy, almost vindictive side that comes out at times. She only commented about her ex once Derek said he didn't see falling in love by the end of the experiment. Her mother said she didn't know what else was out there better than Derek and Katie made that snarky comment about her mother only getting married because she was pregnant. What disrespect. 

I bet Michael and Brandon got together regularly to bitch about their respective wives. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I think these people might have stood a chance if they did something fun together as a couple to get to know each other.

It doesn't have to be "field day" from the Dallas season but get out and have some fun. Don't meet  in a dog park, go shopping for spices and expect to "grow in love". 

I know this show is cheap, but I'm sure they could have gotten free activities for advertising on the show. The Westin didn't miss a beat!

Otherwise, Taylor call Jephte's brother and we will pick up from there!

Edited by OnTime
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

Agreed . In the earlier seasons , the couples never interacted . I don’t mind them interacting because they’re all going through the same thing .. but it’s overkill at this point . Once every few episodes will do . It’s also not a good way to start off their marriage by comparing their relationships with all the other ones .

I think Boston and Philly had a good amount of group interaction, but yeah, the amount there is now is too much.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I think Boston and Philly had a good amount of group interaction, but yeah, the amount there is now is too much.

The only part I enjoyed about the forced interaction between the wives this week was when Katie was being all pissy about Derek to the others and they were just going on and on about how awesome Derek is and how lucky she is and how she deserves a wonderful guy like him, so she had to kind of pump the breaks and pretend she agreed. She clearly wanted a bitch sesh with commiserating ladies, but most of them WISH they had a guy as nice as Derek so she was not getting the kind of feedback she was seeking!

Otherwise, I am not getting much out of the couple's constant interaction, except maybe Zach and Austin repeatedly ripping on what a toolbag Zach is. I wouldn't mind more of that. 😝

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

At lunch with the guys Brandon says....... we moved in together, which wasn't exactly how we saw that play out.  At least he does go on to say they are sleeping in separate bedrooms but then he says.......he wants to get back into his own bedroom. I thought it was strange he would refer to it has his bedroom when he has never actually slept there.

Maybe it's all semantics but get the story straight eh!

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, sometimesjennifer said:

There was more on Philly and Charlotte than Boston.   

It is overload now!! Maybe because there are five couples it seems worse.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

The humping dog is a collie. My neighbor had one when I was a kid and it was always trying to hump everyone’s leg, maybe it’s the breed? IDK, but that was funny. 

I laughed at first, mainly because it was Brandon being humped.  But I hate it when dog owners don't keep their dogs off other people.

13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Why not? I don't necessarily love Katie but I'll give her this - she was born with a face full of freckles and she doesn't try to cover them with an inch of makeup or laser them off because society tells her they are unattractive.

That's probably the main reason I can't completely hate her.  She's letting herself look like what she looks like.  Or maybe she just decided she doesn't have any choice--covering all of those would be a herculean task. 

13 hours ago, OnTime said:

What is so wrong with Derek saying he doesn't know if he is going to be in love with her in eight weeks?

I wish they would shut up about him never being in love.

I posted in a previous thread that I know several guys who hadn't been in love by the time they were Derek's age.  They just continued to plod along until finding someone to love and settle down with permanently.

Calling it a red flag is insulting. 

11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

"Zatch" <---- so middle school.

It would be one thing to call him Zatch just because that's how he spells his name.  I know a guy named Gregg, and taking a cue from him, I call him "Greh-guh-guh." 

But Mindy's friends are mocking him based on "Zach" being spelled wrong, which it isn't.  If you're going to do something like that, you need to have all your ducks in a row.

11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

And, yes, that WAS a tramp stamp on Mindy. 

Bummer.  I was thinking/hoping it was a tag or underwear or something.  Anything other than a tramp stamp.

11 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

It didn't seem to me that she was complaining about him not emptying the dishwasher, per se. When he said it was full, she seemed surprised that he meant he ran it and it was full of clean dishes. Then she told him emptying it is her least favorite (I don't blame her, I hate it too) but it came across to me as just letting him know that fact about her. I don't think she expected him to offer to do that and clean up the dinner mess - she even suggested they do it together, but he insisted.

Just putting that out there again, because that's definitely what I saw, too. 

11 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I don't care if [Mindy's friend is] playing for the cameras - I'm loving it!

I'm a low maintenance sort, but if I were going to be playing for the cameras, I think even I would fix myself up a little more than she did.  In fact, I was kind of impressed that she went to the outing looking like she did.

• Love 9

Brandon and Zach are both full of shite.

I laughed and laughed when the Jenga pile collapsed - he would have never been able to reach the top of it without a step stool anyway. I also LOVE how much his dog is all over Mindy. That's the only physical contact she's gonna get from this relationship.

Lassie humping Brandon was hilarious, and he was good humoured about it.

15 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Mallory is speaking for the viewers this season.

Maybe, but she is on too much and is loving that camera. And her slamming of Zach for spelling his name CORRECTLY did me in.

15 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Yep, he worked also, came home and cooked.  Then she didn’t like that the clean dishes weren’t put away.  Some husbands wouldn’t have done either.  Not being appreciated can grate on his nerves after awhile.

I thought it was interesting that he said to his friends that he has a lot of patience, and she does not. Didn't she claim to be very patient in her wedding intro?

14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Maybe it was the two gigantic martinis?

Yeah, that's good for T1D.

10 hours ago, Racj82 said:

They've had plenty of extended episodes past an hour before. But, yes this is the first season where it's the norm. Unfiltered I used to watch which made it longer for me as well.

Pretty sure last season was 90 minutes, but I haven't bothered to look it up.

2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think the connection is that some of the experts thought that Katie was too young for MAFS and Dr. Pepper thought having serious medical condition made Katie more mature than an average 25 year old.

And she was dead wrong. Not only is she immature, but I think she also has SSS (Special Snowflake Syndrome).

Derek should cut out the bathroom TMI. This is something that frat bros might find terribly amusing, but this is the one thing that I actually agree with Katie on - he is  lacking game. Aside from never being in love, I wonder if he has ever had a long term girlfriend. I doubt if any of them would be impressed with this kind of stuff. But, I still like him way better than her.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Friends/family of Taylor and Brandon needed to all shut their traps. I'm not fan of Brandon but the airing of all that dirty laundry was too much.

I'm not sure how they thought it was a good idea to pile on him like that.  Sure, he may not be a good guy or the guy for Taylor, but how unpleasant of her friends to do that.

13 hours ago, Leilani said:

There's also the possibility Zach has someone else he is serious about and he wants to assure  this person he didn't have sex with Mindy and was NOT ATTRACTED TO HER, that would be one obvious explanation for his odd behavior.

then he should not have come on this crummy show!

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, lizajane said:

Derek should cut out the bathroom TMI. This is something that frat bros might find terribly amusing, but this is the one thing that I actually agree with Katie on - he is  lacking game

I think this may be producer created.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TeacherWoman said:

Pardon the obvious for my first post here.  But how hard did they have to look to get a vacation-resort-sized-transport-van full of assholes to marry each other on this show?  Actually, I am amazed the "experts" could fail so spectacularly.

Welcome to this forum - it's waaaay more entertaining than the actual show! I am not the least surprised by the failure of the 'experts" - I think it's producer driven because they keep advertising the "SUPER SIZED DRAMA!" this season. This is exactly what they wanted.

15 hours ago, OnTime said:

Is there any substance to this season? I felt like the commercials were more interesting.

Were these people handed a script?

I swore last week I wouldn't watch any more this season, but I couldn't help myself. At the one hour mark I thought we were almost done and my spouse clicked to see how much was left. I wanted to cry. But no, I hunkered down in the couch, told him to make me a cocktail and soldiered on.........It felt like the longest two hours of my life, and that includes the hours in labor for my kid.......

And yes, the commercial with Eva Longoria hawking eye cream and sounding out HYALURONIC ACID produced more conversation between us than this shit show.........

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

Hard to believe this was Episode 8. It felt like only Episode 3 or 4.

Are we going to have to endure a "last chance for romance" where they all go away to camp together? Zach will join on FaceTime.

When is Decision Day?

18 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I swore last week I wouldn't watch any more this season, but I couldn't help myself.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I swore last week I wouldn't watch any more this season, but I couldn't help myself. At the one hour mark I thought we were almost done and my spouse clicked to see how much was left. I wanted to cry. But no, I hunkered down in the couch, told him to make me a cocktail and soldiered on.........It felt like the longest two hours of my life, and that includes the hours in labor for my kid.......

And yes, the commercial with Eva Longoria hawking eye cream and sounding out HYALURONIC ACID produced more conversation between us than this shit show.........

A sincere question:  Why do you watch the show live, apparently including the commercials?  Doesn't everyone have a DVR, where you can start watching an hour in and finish on time? 

I'm wondering because I had a friend whose husband used to make a point to drive to the post office late on April 15 to file his tax return, putting himself right in the middle of that traffic jam.  I said, "Why in the world would he do that?"  She said, "He likes the pageantry."

That's something I never would have thought of, but it makes sense.  So I'm wondering about devoting two hours to this mess AND watching the commercials.

• Love 9

I know this show is cheap, but I'm sure they could have gotten free activities for advertising on the show. The Westin didn't miss a beat!

It's DC - every Smithsonian museum is free. Hanging out around the monuments is free. There are a ton of things they could be doing at little or no cost to the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

A sincere question:  Why do you watch the show live, apparently including the commercials?  Doesn't everyone have a DVR, where you can start watching an hour in and finish on time? 

I'm wondering because I had a friend whose husband used to make a point to drive to the post office late on April 15 to file his tax return, putting himself right in the middle of that traffic jam.  I said, "Why in the world would he do that?"  She said, "He likes the pageantry."

That's something I never would have thought of, but it makes sense.  So I'm wondering about devoting two hours to this mess AND watching the commercials.

What that guys does actually doesn't make any sense.

I've been using DVR since 04. I know we lived in a world without it but I couldn't do it now. Especially reality TV.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I always watch on the DVR and start later, but even so last night I felt like I had been watching it for approximately 1000 years so I pushed pause, assuming it was gonna say 7 mins left or something. To my astonishment I still had 1 hour and 15 left. Even though I could fast forward through the commercials, I yelped, "OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE" so loudly that it startled my cat.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't have a DVR anymore - we got rid of our directv satellite and dvr a couple years ago and went to streaming only. I have Hulu Live. It lets me "record" it to my cloud storage, but it won't let us ff through the ads.

18 minutes ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I always watch on the DVR and start later, but even so last night I felt like I had been watching it for approximately 1000 years so I pushed pause, assuming it was gonna say 7 mins left or something. To my astonishment I still had 1 hour and 15 left. Even though I could fast forward through the commercials, I yelped, "OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE" so loudly that it startled my cat.

Still sittin at my table @sometimesjennifer!!!! 😉

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I posted in a previous thread that I know several guys who hadn't been in love by the time they were Derek's age.  They just continued to plod along until finding someone to love and settle down with permanently.

Calling it a red flag is insulting. 

I completely agree. 

I listened to an advice podcast once and the person seeking advice was a man who really wanted to be in a relationship so he was trying EVERYTHING. Hobby groups, bars, singles events, apps, classes ... he was really putting himself out there and nothing was working. He said he wanted to find a relationship by the end of the year, what could he do? And the adviser was like, "listen, I would love to tell you that there's a magic thing you can do that will guarantee that you'll find love by x date, but there isn't. I hate that you're having a hard time finding something that you clearly want and it's making you unhappy, but there's just no guarantee that we will ever meet people who we love that love us back." She advised him to remove the emphasis on finding a partner because all that was clearly making him unhappy, and to spend his time and energy just doing stuff he enjoyed doing for its own sake. Be open to finding love, but don't make that the center of his universe because doing that was making him miserable (and people can sense when other people are miserable/desperate).

Derek is only 26 and folks are out here writing him off as a failure. Maybe he didn't date much in high school or college (not that unusual, not everyone has a high school or college sweetheart), and post-college dating in the age of apps is a hellhole. I don't see anything weird at all. Katie isn't better than Derek because she's been in love before and he hasn't. Derek isn't deficient in some way for never having been in love.

1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:

Welcome to this forum - it's waaaay more entertaining than the actual show! I am not the least surprised by the failure of the 'experts" - I think it's producer driven because they keep advertising the "SUPER SIZED DRAMA!" this season. This is exactly what they wanted.

Oh, I completely believe that the experts have always matched people from a pool created by producers. This is a TV show, first and foremost.

45 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I didn't record the show last night because I ... just didn't, for no real reason, but if I'm watching a show live I don't watch commercials, I change the channel. And I actually missed half of it - I got home about 25 minutes in, watched until the debates, and then went back and forth between them until a point where I turned all my attention to the debates.

There are some shows I watch live because it's just as much fun following the conversation about them on social media as it's unfolding as it is to watch the show. When Scandal was on, Twitter, especially Black Twitter, was lit - which the cast knew, because they'd live-tweet as the show was airing. So being a part of that meant watching live, which was worth it IMO.

• Love 7

For some reason, Meka seems to have a bug up her ass about spices.  Even if she's not attracted to Michael, she could have come up with something more fun to do than going on a damn spice hunt.  I think she also mentioned his lack of spices when she inspected his kitchen.  She is just so damned humorless.  

While I realize that the friends and family gatherings were casual, there were some people who were just plain sloppy.  Mindy's friend Headband Mallory looked like she just rolled out of bed and threw something on, and some of the guys in Brandon's and Taylor's gathering looked sloppy in shorts and ill-fitting t-shirts.  I know if I were going to be on tv I'd look more put together than they were.  

Speaking of the friends and family, there was some muscle bound dude who was trying to look threatening to Brandon, which I don't think Brandon deserved even if he does have some issues.  I was hoping the dog would come out and bite the meathead on his ass.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Mindy's friend Headband Mallory looked like she just rolled out of bed and threw something on

I noticed that too. I thought she looked like she'd just come from the gym. I think she looked like that in her first appearance too, the one on one with Mindy.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

For some reason, Meka seems to have a bug up her ass about spices.  Even if she's not attracted to Michael, she could have come up with something more fun to do than going on a damn spice hunt.  I think she also mentioned his lack of spices when she inspected his kitchen.  She is just so damned humorless.  

Speaking of the friends and family, there was some muscle bound dude who was trying to look threatening to Brandon, which I don't think Brandon deserved even if he does have some issues.  I was hoping the dog would come out and bite the meathead on his ass.  

She is. And I think she just is that way and would be that way no matter who she was matched with. She looks at everything different from her norm as a problem that she has to solve. And solving means berating Michael. 

I'm not a fan of Brandon but I agree that Taylor's friends were a little over the top. So was Mindy's friend with Zach. There comes a point where the confrontation is less about protecting your friend and more about dogging the spouse and I'm not interested in seeing that.

I didn't mind the private conversations Taylor and Mindy had with their friends but it made me uncomfortable watching Mallory continuously make pointed digs at "Zatch," (although I'm not sure Zach even got all of them) and for Taylor's friends to pile on Brandon with his family sitting right there. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I noticed that too. I thought she looked like she'd just come from the gym. I think she looked like that in her first appearance too, the one on one with Mindy.

And I know it's a nitpick and it's not Mindy's apartment, but I also don't like people putting their feet on someone's sofa, like Headband did.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ShowFan said:

Falling in love is an emotional infatuation for someone and ultimately it becomes about maintaining a feeling that can't last forever. Love is an action, the action of putting someone in front of yourself...

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I think Derek thinks bathroom humor is funny. 

He's a frat boy - that was my impression.  Frat boys behave like that.  Not so sure Katie is in to that nonsense.

• Love 7