Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E14: Spuds

Oh look, instead of just saying: "I don't want to come to your crappy children's play." They just all try to dodge it. The twins like sadistic things, shocking since their parents are so air headed. Lily's: "Did I tell you I'm adopted." line was perfect.  

• Love 9

Seriously....they couldn't give Cam the job and allow them to adopt a new baby as well?!  I figured that last holiday meal was basically setting up how the final episode would go with Cam getting the job and Mitch now following Cam for his dreams.  

I thought the same thing when they revealed it was a clip show...the sign of a show struggling to make to the finish line.

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, justduckey said:

Why is there always a ”kid” or two  missing from each episode this season?? 

To save money. It’s been like this since the beginning. All the kids are not in every episode. I wonder if the kids got paid since they were in the clips? Plus, original Lily!!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Was that...a clip show?  Ugh, thank goodness this show is almost over.

3 hours ago, CMH1981 said:

Seriously....they couldn't give Cam the job and allow them to adopt a new baby as well?!  I figured that last holiday meal was basically setting up how the final episode would go with Cam getting the job and Mitch now following Cam for his dreams.  

I thought the same thing when they revealed it was a clip show...the sign of a show struggling to make to the finish line.

It looks to me that the writers have checked out early. With the France episode and now this I'm not expecting much. Now I'll be more surprised to see some fresh and funny plots for the last four shows

2 hours ago, justduckey said:

This season it’s been more glaring to me than any other season.

I feel like that's because they're missing in situations that make no sense.  When the show first started, if the kids were missing while the adults got up to stuff during the day, you figured they were at school.  And when they got a little older, you figured they were hanging out with friends, or at their part-time jobs, etc.  But now that they're all adults, it's weird when they're missing from certain situations, for instance, when Phil's dad died and none of Phil's kids were at their grandfather's funeral (but Manny was because he'd been featured otherwise in the episode). 

• Love 9

This was...an episode. I'm putting as much into thinking about it as the writers did...

I'll admit the potentially psychopathic twins made me laugh. But we don't need drugged Jay, because we've established over 84 years that he loves his family and doesn't show it. And I still have no idea why Gloria was stating the play facts all ep--was it supposed to be she coached Joe so much she absorbed it? 

I was disappointed Cam didn't get the job, and maybe that's just a plot twist so we get baby vs job conflict at the end, but one of the things I have liked about the character is he's this OTT flamboyant gay man who also played top level college football. There was so much potential story in that we never got to see about how he existed in this hypermasculine world. 

• Love 9

I guess Mitch and Cam will have to break through to the top floor apartment and create a duplex so they'll have a nursery for the baby

Maybe the baby will fortuitously be born right as (summer) school vacation starts so that Cam can stay home for the summer with the newborn?

It does seem a little odd that bio parents would pick an "older" couple with a 12-year old, but maybe that makes it seem as though they are experienced parents with more time for a newborn.

Although Lily didn't seem to mind the thought of leaving her friends and family to move out west to the Midwest, I wonder if she'd really be cool with a new baby.  Even though most of the time, her parents seem to have no idea what she's up to, this would give her even more freedom.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I guess Mitch and Cam will have to break through to the top floor apartment and create a duplex so they'll have a nursery for the baby

Maybe the baby will fortuitously be born right as (summer) school vacation starts so that  Cam can stay home for the summer with the newborn?

It does seem a little odd that bio parents would pick an "older" couple with a 12 ear old, but maybe that makes it seem as though they are experienced parents with more time for a newborn.

Although Lily didn't seem to mind the thought of leaving her friends and family to move out west,  I wonder if she'd really be cool with a new baby.  Although, even most of the time, her parents seem to have no idea what she's up to, this would give her even more freedom.

They live in California. The only way Lily and her dads could move out west would be a coaching job in Hawaii....

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It does seem a little odd that bio parents would pick an "older" couple with a 12 ear old, but maybe that makes it seem as though they are experienced parents with more time for a newborn.

If their account accidentally got reactivated, would the info on it even be up-to-date?  For instance, does their bio state that Cam is a stay-at-home parent to their six year old daughter instead of Cam is a full-time football coach and Lily is in middle school?

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I found the insertion of the clips a bit clunky. A lot of them weren't the most memorable moments of the show to me, and since some were so brief and thrown in inbetween long stretches of new storylines written for the episode, it was kinda jarring and almost felt random when the clips would appear.

I'm also non-plussed about Mitch and Cam considering adopting again, but maybe it's because it seems like a handful of shows have been pushing later-in-life baby/adoption storylines this season - Will & Grace, The Conners, Grey's Anatomy, A Million Little Things... and now this show!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

But now that they're all adults, it's weird when they're missing from certain situations, for instance, when Phil's dad died and none of Phil's kids were at their grandfather's funeral (but Manny was because he'd been featured otherwise in the episode). 

Yes! That bugged me a lot. Especially since the episode about Phil's mom was SO well done and had such a lovely storyline. 

• Love 2

I feel like the clips were thrown in just to fill certain gaps of the episode, as if the writers couldn't be bothered to include any fresh material.

Sad to hear that Marsha Kramer passed away back in January.  She played Jay's assistant in this show.  R.I.P.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thats how you know the show is running low on ideas, they throw out a clip show. A standard, no twist, clip show. The clips weren't even that good, and they only reminded me of how far this show has fallen since its glory days. 

"Have I emphasized how adopted I am?" Lily gets the best line of the episode! 

I was hoping that Cam would get the job, I think that would have been a good way for the show to end, with Cam, Mitch, and Lily starting a new chapter, and them living closer to Cams family (who he misses, even if I sure dont). Them having another baby is just kind of meh. Their old file isnt even updated, right? They would presumably still have Cam as a stay at home dad right? 

There is always such drama over people in this family going to every single ridiculous little thing that their kids go to, and the elaborate excuses they make to get out of them instead of just saying that they have other stuff on their plate or that they will just make it to the next thing. Is it normal for extended families to be expected to go to every single freaking thing their kids do? Every play/recital/spelling bee/whatever? They all seem to hate going, so why does this cycle of invitations and lies continue?!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

There is always such drama over people in this family going to every single ridiculous little thing that their kids go to, and the elaborate excuses they make to get out of them instead of just saying that they have other stuff on their plate or that they will just make it to the next thing. Is it normal for extended families to be expected to go to every single freaking thing their kids do? Every play/recital/spelling bee/whatever? They all seem to hate going, so why does this cycle of invitations and lies continue?!

That's exactly it! This isn't like a graduation or wedding or something. It's like others pointed out about Phil's dad dying. Why aren't the kids dealing with that? That was their other grandfather. I got Claire's anger over the RV. However, for the love of God, woman. It was you now dead father-in-law's. Even if it was falling apart, I could see why Phil would have a problem getting rid of it. Yeah, so bring back up a story line for Cam and Mitch that is 6 years old. Sure, why not? Sending him off to Missouri that you have pounded in the ground about Cam wanting to go back wouldn't made sense. Seriously, how bad and then it's a clip show twist? Why?

• Love 4

The only way Lily and her dads could move out west would be a coaching job in Hawaii....

I once lived in north central Missouri and I would never in a million years have called it "out west".  Also for what it's worth--there is no North Central Missouri University.

17 hours ago, Aileen said:

I was so confused about the gags with Gloria and Jay not knowing who Dylan was. Has that been a thing? 

I didn't get that, either. And the way Gloria apologized after spilling something on him was like she didn't even realize he was sitting with their group.

I found the lead in joke by the teacher asking Jay to help in very poor taste. It was something about needing a stand-in for a kid in the play because he had been kidnapped by his step-father. Horrible awful and not funny at all.

Joe was funny, "Get a hold of yourself man!"

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I found the lead in joke by the teacher asking Jay to help in very poor taste. It was something about needing a stand-in for a kid in the play because he had been kidnapped by his step-father. Horrible awful and not funny at all.

Joe was funny, "Get a hold of yourself man!"

Oh I know. Being a teacher myself, I HATE IT! When TV shows or movies portray a teacher as some aloof moron. Of course, it's been a pet peeve for years when I see stuff like that. I don't know what writers when they do this. It's NOT FUNNY at all. I mean, that person be out of a job real fast. Something that I hated in Spider-Man Far from Home. Was the two teachers in the movie, yes. They are well known comedians and they are funny, but given their dialogue and: "Duh! Which way did they go George!" personalities in the movie. I was like: "No school would put these two guys in charge of anything, especially a European trip." 

I really wish shows would just stop! I mean are their teachers out there that are bad? Yes, I've worked with them. However, you get more teachers who have more of a: "I've been teaching fine all these years and I'm changing." or the: "Get over yourself kid, I'm not caving into you like your parents." Since the show started, all the teachers have done some really, stupid, stupid stuff. Cam actually has ACTED like a real teacher, even if he does have things about himself. Yet, how did that go? They stuck his office in a broom closet and the school board keeps sticking him in situations, they know he will screw up because he has to make things about him when push comes to shove. 

• Love 2

I was riffing more on the inappropriate "joke" about a child being kidnapped, not the ignorant teacher who would say such a thing. But yes, what kind of a person would repeat that, like it was no big deal? Horrible on both counts.

I take the writers of the show have already stopped coming to work? Like at the end of season 8?

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I wanted Cam to get the job too. That seems like a good way to wrap up their storyline. Also, I could see them doing a fish out of water spinoff with Cam and Mitch and Lilly in Missouri. 

I thought he would get the job too. Now I'm guessing that he's going to get a phone call between now and the finale offering him the job because the other guy died/was involved in a scandal.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought he would get the job too. Now I'm guessing that he's going to get a phone call between now and the finale offering him the job because the other guy died/was involved in a scandal.

Maybe he's the one who kidnapped that kid...

How many more episodes are left?

Other than a reason for all the adults to be in the restaurant at the same time, why exactly did Mitch and Cam need to be there with Lily and her date? They were just eating dinner in the middle of a popular restaurant - that is literally as supervised as it gets! Couldn't they have dropped her off and come back in an hour or whatever?

• Love 5