Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E02: It's Like a Survivor Economy

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

One castaway is out for blood after realizing their closest ally was sent to the Edge of Extinction. Another castaway must dig themselves out after letting information slip.

Original airdate 2/19/2020

In case the lock function is still malfunctioning- there is no discussion in this thread until the episode has ended. 

Well it's a bummer to lose Danni, but I'm glad it went that way given the options because this trio of Rob, Parvati and Ethan is very intriguing to me.

And I just had to laugh at the scene with Sarah and Tony, where she's giving a voice-over about the state of their Cops R Us alliance, while on screen you see her just standing there while he's all hunched over gesticulating wildly in a very Tony way.

Tony's ladder was the highlight of the episode.  Runner up is the chaos at TC, and Ben almost spilling the beans.  Clearly they all know who to put in the interrogation chair and shine the light on for answers.  How did he win again?  Oh yeah, he said it himself tonight-idols. 

I'm still bummed about Danni.  She should have just laid low, but I feel like her paranoia was justified.  Rob/Ethan/Parvati seemed tight and didn't really dispute not involving her.  I didn't want to lose those three, either, but Rob and Parvati have played more than once before.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 9

But she should have went to them alone, not in front of Ben. I think that was the death knell.

I'm impressed every week Rob, Parvati, and Sandra stay in.

Newbies I want out- Ben, Adam. Make it so!

• Love 16
1 minute ago, LadyChatts said:

Runner up is the chaos at TC, and Ben almost spilling the beans.  Clearly they all know who to put in the interrogation chair and shine the light on for answers.  How did he win again?  Oh yeah, he said it himself tonight-idols.

That was like some Law & Order cross-examination jazz. They triple-teamed him, poor guy. He didn't know where he was.

I wonder why parv was excluding Dani. It seems strange since they were in an alliance and I don’t think the old-schoolers were gunning for her. Why didn’t she just ask Rob? But I guess that’s what paranoia does. 

I was disappointed to see rob suck at a puzzle challenge since he always dominates. But at least he’s still in the game!

I wonder what all the whispers were about during tribal. It seemed like they were considering changing the vote but it went the way they thought.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, cleo said:

But she should have went to them alone, not in front of Ben. I think that was the death knell.

I'm impressed every week Rob, Parvati, and Sandra stay in.

Newbies I want out- Ben, Adam. Make it so!

Well, her tribe has only had once chance to vote her out.  If it wasn't for Amber, I wonder if she would have gone, or if Tyson or Kim might have gotten voted off instead.

Annoyed that idols are already in play, and that Denise/Adam have one.  While Adam made good points tonight about Ben and Denise giving half of her idol to Parvati-I still don't like him.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 5

I really am quite fond of Danni but girl was dumb.  She talked herself right onto EoE.

It is telling to myself how very much I loathe Tony, because I was rooting for Rob’s tribe and not Yul’s and I never thought that would happen.

Also I didn’t care about Ethan all that much in Africa or his other appearance, but I am loving him now.

• Love 16

I thought they were switching to Ben after his tribal performance but no luck. I thinknDanni commenting on being left out again sealed her fate. Both Rob and Parvati reacted when ahe started again.

• Love 2

First I was surprised that Rob was doing the puzzle part of the challenge when he's a real strong workhorse.

That being said I got the impression he was trying to lose.

I find myself rooting for his tribe simply because I hate Tony Tysen and Sandra.  I've never been a Rob or Parvati fan either but I guess the lesser of the evils.

• Love 7

To give poor Ben a little credit, I was impressed with how he played Denise's split-idol discovery, i.e. not insisting that he get half of it and trying to use it to build up an alliance for himself.

1 minute ago, Lamima said:

So do you think Rob wanted to send Dani, of all their tribe mates, to extinction so his wife has a lesser threat there with her and better chance to get back in the game?

Oh, I didn't think of that.  That's actually pretty smart logic if that was his reasoning.  

While Rob & Parvati are great for the show it’s really dumb of the newbies to keep them in the game still.

I don't know why my tinfoil hat came on, but part of me questioned if there wasn't some nudging in TH with producers about the benefits of keeping Parvati and Rob over Danni or someone not as name worthy (because Parvati and Rob are always going to be targets, so why not keep the shields around).  Weren't Parvati and Rob two of the castaways who got appearance fees for coming out?  I wonder if any of the non-paid castaways knew of that before hand.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

There was a live thread? Son of a bitch.

It’s early in the season, so I’m not invested that much. Why did Danni get the unanimous vote? And should we be a bit concerned three women have been sent to EoE?

Looks like Rob lost the challenge for real. For some reason, I was thinking he was throwing it in order to be sent to Amber. Probably doesn’t make sense, and I’m thinking they can “work” the game better from both sides. Still, his stacking the puzzle pieces was . . . well, puzzling.

Looks like Tribal Council will always descend into chaos. Everyone emptying their bags was new. Apparently, they got identical bags. Denise managed to hide her idol half very well. However, when she found both halves with Ben nearby, I could hear most of the posters protest:

image.gif.82fc5ebe4fbf51f309ad3d160fcb88be.gif

It’s sad that Natalie and Amber didn’t get the clue immediately. I got it, and I’m dense AF. Natalie gets another token by selling Jeremy what I like to call the Eric Cartman Advantage. “Screw you guys, I’m goin’ back to camp!” How many tokens would Natalie need to make a big impact? Of course, since this is Survivor, Amber might fall into a pile of those while wandering EoE, following the freshly-painted arrows.

Tony risks life and limb for food. Sounds right. Like I said in Speculation, I reckon the first medical evacuation will come when someone is talking to Wendell, and he sneezes hard enough to send his toothpick straight into an open eye.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, cleo said:

Yeah only one tribal with Sandra, still it counts...being on the winning tribe helps.

But yeah red can go next time. 

Red won't go again. They got the might on their tribe. Why Rob wasn't doing the heavy lifting instead of being on puzzle duty, I don't know. But that guy needs to do any athletic stuff. Put Adam on the puzzles.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Not saying Rob didn't suck at the puzzle but that loss wasn't all on him, which he amusingly pointed out to Ethan when Ethan told him he sucked at the puzzle.

So much history in that scene, it was great.

I also wondered if Rob was throwing it, but couldn't come up with a good reason why he would, other than a desire to be reunited with Amber.

8 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

First I was surprised that Rob was doing the puzzle part of the challenge when he's a real strong workhorse.

Yes but he's excellent at puzzles (well save for whatever happened there tonight), so it made sense that they put him there.

I actually don't think Rob was trying to lose. Rob's too competitive for me to believe he'd want to be voted out and their losing means their tribe is weaker, no matter who is eliminated. I just think it's obvious that he really cannot separate the game from personal when it comes to Amber.

And it's obvious, based on his reaction when the tribes came out that he was PISSED at her being voted out. So his mind wasn't fully in the game at the moment. But I don't think he was purposely trying to lose. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 23

These people are idiots.  Rob, Parvati, Sandra.  They should have been the first 3 gone.  Whatever else happens, they deserve what they get.  So frustrating to watch.

I predict either "the queen" or "the marianos" will walk away with 2 million bucks and these stupid assholes gave it to them.

I don't know if I even want to watch any more.  So contrived and so boring.

• Love 10
Just now, milner said:

Isn’t this episode 3?

My cable grid labeled it Episode 2. The two-hour premiere was considered one episode, I guess.

12 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

I wonder what all the whispers were about during tribal. It seemed like they were considering changing the vote but it went the way they thought.

I think they were organizing to dump the bags to find the idols. Everyone who was whispered to went along with it pretty quickly.  

And I suspect that Rob likely saw what he need to see with the fact that they are halves being the only thing that makes him doubt who likely has one.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Somanydogs said:

I mean it's like the second episode. There's a lot of game left to play. Personally, what I've seen of these first two episodes has just convinced me that all these big guns - Rob, Parv and Sandra are on borrowed time. 

The first two episodes have been fun watching Rob wield his psuedo-Jedi powers but I don't see that lasting for a second. Right now,  I think Jeremy's getting a strong winner's edit from the Sela tribe and I think the four of Yul, Sophie, Wendell and Nick could do real damage if they stick together and especially if their tribe keep winning immunity. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

I wonder if Coach was grimacing watching Tony successfully climb the World's Shadiest Ladder, given his unsuccessful attempt at scaling a tree in HvV?

7 minutes ago, Somanydogs said:

These people are idiots.  Rob, Parvati, Sandra.  They should have been the first 3 gone.  Whatever else happens, they deserve what they get.  So frustrating to watch.

I predict either "the queen" or "the marianos" will walk away with 2 million bucks and these stupid assholes gave it to them.

This.  I love Sandra, but don't want her to win.

ETA:  If she does, she;s totally "The Queen".

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

And it's obvious, based on his reaction when the tribes came out that he was PISSED at her being voted out. So his mind wasn't fully in the game at the moment. But I don't think he was purposely trying to lose. 

I'm not gonna lie, that was my third favorite moment of the night.  The look on Rob's face, and everyone just being really quiet and staring at him, and then the camera panning in on Sandra...I felt sorry for the guy, but that was priceless.  I could feel the tension coming out of my TV.  You know Probst was dying for that moment.

I was questioning if he was trying to lose on purpose, but given how he turned back into game-mode Rob after the challenge made me think he just couldn't concentrate, and probably didn't try to lose.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

As for the episode teevee has taught me that when someone witnesses what they are not interested in other people finding out it is easier to dispose of the witness than than the ally who unknowingly showed the body to the outsider. In this case Danni is told she is safe and to shut the hell up and Ben is easily clipped at the nest opportunity. It does them NO good to keep Ben as the squeeky wheel over Danni who could be told to stop being paranoid and think when she speaks. She can be "reformed" and added to your numbers again after "The Ben Situation" is handled on her behalf.

Maybe it does the other old-schoolers no good to keep Ben over Danni, but they weren't voting in a vacuum. They were the minority, with or without Danni, and had to go with an option that new-schoolers would agree with. And for better or worse, Ben wasn't it.

22 minutes ago, Lamima said:

So do you think Rob wanted to send Dani, of all their tribe mates, to extinction so his wife has a lesser threat there with her and better chance to get back in the game?

Doubtful since he seemed pretty serious about wanting to go for either Jeremy or Ben before Danni made her paranoia get the better of her. 

• Love 2

For those asking - 

Danni got the Unanimous vote basically because Danni got paranoid* and couldn't shut up. She whined to Ethan about Old Skool vs New Skool (i feel like Survivor Africa. so ironic the complaint was to Ethan) - and Ben was right there and Ethan is like. um. hello. Ben is New Skool. Then Danni whinged to Rob about everything and then said well I'll be your girl friday if we vote off Parv (because Parv doesn't talk to me anymore). 

So basically everyone voted Danni out because new skool is dumbness  and didn't want to piss off Rob - even after Rob showed basically how much power he has over anyone who ever plays until someone clues in. It's like clockwork. 

*the Paranoia (was legitmate) because Ethan, Rob and Parv basically ignored Danni all episode until Dani started to become unglued. which probably wouldn't have happened if they were all together. (something that Parv/Rob should have known playing 19 million times already). and the fact that Parv threw Ethan and Danni under the bus, basically should clue in Ethan where he stands but he's not really gonna break quite frankly. 

I mentioned this during the live chat - but it is really something to see the really "smart" players of their seasons (Kim, Danni, Denise) be soooooo incredibly stupid this go around. And I feel, while maybe you can argue that some people just played more - like i mentioned about. Rob's "thing" about playing people like a piper has always been there since Season 4. (up until then, team lazy always was the one to get picked off, and he was like eff this, and Hunter, and all the  hard working people got out, and he messed pooped up by getting into Kathy's head - and then we all know AS and Heroes/Villians and the one where he actually won). Same with parv. she amps up the charm. Same with Sandra. no matter what the circumstances. they almost always always always stay the same, the game sort of adapts around them if it makes sense. 

Kim is like a lost little lamb trying to find hope, Danni is gone. Michelle is like "but i have no idea what's going on." (I still don't remember her), Yul is the sexy exception to this rule....

But Rob, Sandra, Parv? They're just showing, imo why they are the greatest to play the game. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Maybe it does the other old-schoolers no good to keep Ben over Danni, but they weren't voting in a vacuum. They were the minority, with or without Danni, and had to go with an option that new-schoolers would agree with. And for better or worse, Ben wasn't it.

I don't know that they knew it when they did it, and they may have had no other choice due to numbers, but it might do them some good that they didn't vote out Ben.

It seems like Ben can be manipulated into telling anyone anything.  So now you've got one faction who might get him to tell them about helping people find idols and another faction worried that he might do just that.

The other interesting thing about this is that its looking like there is pretty set approach with some of the players to want to eliminate anyone that is unpredictable.  That was their reason for wanting to target Ben.  That was the reason for voting out Danni.  Still a lot of sentiment that the game play involved in orchestrating a blind side is how you win.

I wonder how well that is going to work in a season of winners.  

• Love 3

I am trying to figure out who is a bigger idiot. Ben, Danni, Adam/Jeremy/Michelle.

Danni got herself voted out. Ben proved he is a wild card that cannot be trusted. AJM were stupid to not vote out Rob. Screw Parvati, you all dumped your bags because Rob told you to. Next thing you they they will all be going out holding hands and arguing over how much crispy rice to give Rob.

Tony is Tony. That is all that needs to be said.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

If it had been anyone else other than Rob doing that puzzle, I would swear that they threw it ! Because Rob is fairly good at puzzles and I just can't believe he could let himself lose on purpose. If he had and then admitted it later ( even if just to us ), then I would say that was a pretty good game move. He was really sure he was safe, so why not ? 

I thought I remember the Guat. season, but I really don't remember Danni at all ! It's weird to me, I do remember Stephanie and the former football player Gary Hogeboom (sp ?) but not her.

The fire tokens could end up being a big part of who does well down the line. If someone gets a small bunch of them, they could really pay off.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I mentioned this during the live chat - but it is really something to see the really "smart" players of their seasons (Kim, Danni, Denise) be soooooo incredibly stupid this go around. And I feel, while maybe you can argue that some people just played more - like i mentioned about. Rob's "thing" about playing people like a piper has always been there since Season 4. (up until then, team lazy always was the one to get picked off, and he was like eff this, and Hunter, and all the  hard working people got out, and he messed pooped up by getting into Kathy's head - and then we all know AS and Heroes/Villians and the one where he actually won). Same with parv. she amps up the charm. Same with Sandra. no matter what the circumstances. they almost always always always stay the same, the game sort of adapts around them if it makes sense. 

Kim is like a lost little lamb trying to find hope, Danni is gone. Michelle is like "but i have no idea what's going on." (I still don't remember her), Yul is the sexy exception to this rule....

But Rob, Sandra, Parv? They're just showing, imo why they are the greatest to play the game. 

Even though I wouldn't necessarily call him the smart player of his season, I'm going to throw Ben in there, too, because he seems like a chicken with his head cut off running around out there.  He's got loose lips, and even tonight put on a horrible poker face when Rob asked him about the idol.  Notice that Rob went from 'does someone have an idol' to 'who has the idol'.  I believe that he knows Ben is lying.  And then he was correctly called out when he talked about the old schoolers running around talking to people, when he was doing the same thing.  I don't know that I thought Kim was smart, as much as I think she got very lucky.  I kind of feel the same way about Sophie, although I'm impressed with her so far. 

Ben even said the last time he played he had idols and that helped him.  Now he says he has to be play differently.  When he was out looking, I was about ready to throw something at the TV if he found the idol.  Denise wasn't my first choice, either, but better than him.  Though I think he was stupid for telling her what to look for.  Adam has him pegged very well, as does everyone else.  But aside from Danni, I do think the old schoolers are adapting better.  Sandra, Parvati, and Rob have had a lot of practice, but even Ethan and Yul are doing good.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 14