Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E09: Face Off/S15.E10: And In The End

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Mystery said:

One thing I liked was Emily saying she'd cut her hair. She did that a while back and has been wearing a wig. Which is good, because those bangs were heinous and I'd hate to think she had to wear them all the time.

Here's a tweet about it: 

She's been on a few episodes of Mom this season (playing Christy's nightmare lawyer boss) and she has the short gray hair. I had wondered if that was real or a wig. Guess now I know. 🙂

Side note, I saw another site and skimmed some of the comments there; they were all "this was the best episode ever!" sort of stuff, compared to a lot of "ugh" over here. Interesting how people congregate in the places where people agree with them. (Which I guess is why I'm here and not there...) Though not surprising, I suppose.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I groaned reading that since it seems like Erica Messer's answer was just a cop out, one that could be interpreted as taking one last dig at Reid. I wanted Reid to end up definitively happy and while I'll likely assume that's the case, the fact the perpetual punching bag doesn't get a clear happy ending is grating.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Mystery said:

One thing I liked was Emily saying she'd cut her hair. She did that a while back and has been wearing a wig. Which is good, because those bangs were heinous and I'd hate to think she had to wear them all the time.

Here's a tweet about it: 

I like it and kudos to her for not trying to be "forever young"!

• Love 2

I'm honestly not bothered about the way things ended for Reid. He's been getting some proper therapy and working through his issues in recent times, he got a nice little final chat with Maeve to make peace with some things about her and his past in general, he started something with Max that may work out, may not, but even if it doesn't, at least it helps him put himself out there again, he's got a good job and gets to work with his close friends... I'd say that's enough to show he's happy to me. 

Plus, speaking on a general level, given how incredibly vocal the fandom tends to be regarding who's "right" for Reid and all that relationship-wise and the way he gets shipped with seemingly any and everyone under the sun, I dunno, maybe this is the best way to handle an ending regarding him. That way those who liked Max can imagine they lived happily ever after, and those who might've liked him with somebody else can imagine they got together down the line as well. 

• Love 5

Let me start by saying that I am glad I watched this show from start to finish but oh my lord that was a terrible series finale.... the writing was horrid,  the acting was average and the big bad was the lamest big bad this show has had.... he and his mommy issues can take a hike.  

It’s been like watch a balloon slowly deflate for the past few years and whilst I enjoyed this show for the most part I feel nothing but relief it has finally been kindly put out of its misery... 

• Love 1

I think it would have been funny if, in that final scene where Garcia takes her stuff from her office she meets her replacement in the hallway...and the character is played by Pauley Perrette. They could exchange a few words or even just stare at each other before going on their way.

It would have been a nice meta joke and an acknowledgement on the inspiration for the Garcia character.

• Love 6

I like the idea of doing a CM prequel. Since Mindhunter is on terminal hold now, they could focus on getting those famous bad guys.

And I did not like the fact that since the finale ended up being about Garcia, Morgan did not make an appearance. He has been on before and he should have done this one.

• Love 3

They'd said they'd tried to get Shemar Moore back, but they weren't able to. I would've loved for him to return as well, but unfortunately, scheduling can be hard that way, it seems. 

Also, from what I've heard, it sounds like Moore's been dealing with a lot of personal losses lately, so maybe that factored into his inability to make an appearance, too? I dunno. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

I like the idea of doing a CM prequel. Since Mindhunter is on terminal hold now, they could focus on getting those famous bad guys.

I found Mindhunter to be terribly slow and dull. I'd happily watch a CM prequel in the usual COTW format. There must be lots of cases in the 70s that they could draw from. Just as long as nobody lets Erica Messer anywhere near it. 

• Love 2

Mindhunter isn't "Case of the Week" as I understand, so right there we have enough of a difference. Plus the Criminal Minds brand would come with a much bigger audience, especially if it's used as another starring vehicle for Ben Savage, who was very well received as the younger Jason Gideon.

I even have a partial cast for a show I call Criminal Minds: Origins:

• Ben Savage- Young Jason Gideon
  • Rider Strong- Young David Rossi (not a fan of Robert Dunne, sorry)
  • Amy Davidson- Sheila Hawkes (Zoe's mother)

I'm still thinking of who I'd cast as a young Max Ryan, and I'm sure I'd need a fifth agent who's a person of colour ('cause, "diversity"), but at least I have a start.

So let me get this straight. Seven profilers risk their lives every day to save victims/potential victims, and to put dangerous psychos away, and instead of celebrating what they've accomplished along the years, commiserating a bit over their lost battles, they devote the last episode of the series to the immature and annoying tech who hasn't grown the least in 15 years ? Wow !

I've said it before (many times to myself and once or twice here) and I'll say it again, for the life of me, I could never understand why everyone always worshipped at the altar of Garcia and walked on eggshells around her. And the idea that she was the heart of the show is ludicrous. Hotch was the heart of the show. But if we don't want one character to be considered as that, the group of profilers as a whole is. But certainly not Penelope-I'm so not modest I need to remind everyone in every single episode and almost every single scene how good I am-Garcia.

Just the other day, I caught her saying to Alvez : "You should worship at my altar Luke Alvez !" And my reaction was : "Remind me again why he should..."  And over the years, Garcia has always been shown to be THE less humble character of the team. And, well, it was bad enough as it was, but never in my wildest, most horrible nightmares would I ever think they'd make it even worst by dedicating the last episode of a 15 year old show to her.

Just... wow ! I have no words...

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Retired at last said:

And I did not like the fact that since the finale ended up being about Garcia, Morgan did not make an appearance. He has been on before and he should have done this one.

I could have sworn that Erica originally wanted a spin off of Gideon and Rossi when they were younger and just started the BAU, but CBS didn’t want that so instead they did the Nelson’s Sparrow episode and then the Beyond Borders spin off went through.  I might have just imagined it though because I haven’t been able to find any evidence that says that or find any interviews where Erica mentions that. 

I think a prequel showing the BAU just starting would be cool though. 

• Love 1
Just now, Retired at last said:

Why ? So she could have one more person on screen to worship at her childish and insufferable self on the last moments of the show ? Because, you know, 7 profilers and their significant others and the other guests, not to mention all the viewers from over the world, couldn't possibly be enough for Miss Penelope-40+ year old attention seeking brat-Garcia.

• Love 1

Frankly that sucked.  

The hit or miss quality of who got to come back and who didn’t. The focus on Edward Lynch, and Crystal. 
JJ and Will should be moving to LA.  Rossi should be retired.  Reid should teach.  Garcia moving on is fine.  Prentice should move to Denver.  Matt should step up to bureau chief.  Luke and Tara can stay as they are younger members of the team. 
who were the strangers in the background at the party? Writers? 

• Love 3

I was bored. 

I said, out loud, a few times "oh, enough with the schmaltz."

I don't understand why the prospect of Rossi retiring was such a world-altering idea.  It isn't like he hasn't done it before.

TPTB seem to be trying to position Garcia leaving that note as some big thing for viewers to wonder about and I just don't care what it said.  At all.  Also, I suspect it fell through the crack to the floor and will be swept up and thrown away rather than discovered by whoever holds that position next.

Also, these people need to get a grip.  These are adult co-workers.  People changing jobs?  Happens every day.  This long, drawn out, tear-filled, bequest-leaving extravaganza was not merited.  Also, if this is so much like family: it does not matter what job they have so, again, no need to literally cry.  Or make speeches about how you are going to keep in touch.  The emotionalism was not earned by the events in the episode.

I love Jane Lynch but Diana Reid's character felt all over the place here.  Eh, mildly annoyed.  (See, bored, having trouble working up *any* emotion for a show that I watched every episode of.  And kept spreadsheets for the first several years.  I should care that it is ending...)

I'm annoyed that they would have moved JJ to unit chief.  Again.  It didn't make sense last time (unless you go with: she was given the position because her inexperience would make her easier to manipulate) and it doesn't make sense this time.

Way too much of the last few episodes was spent setting up potential exits for various characters.  And then basically none of them panned out; even Garcia took a local job not the CA one she initially mentioned.  I feel both jerked around and tired and bored of it all.

• Love 4
Just now, Quiet1 said:

And from the audience point of view, they are all leaving. They shouldn't have had the focus or party for just one person, it should have been about all of them. 

Exactly ! And by focusing on the team as a whole, they would've been in neutral territory and less likely to make viewers fume.

But I shouldn't be too shocked actually. Come to think about it, this was bound to happen eventually. 'Cause this is what you get when a cray-cray or a bunch of cray-crays get into their stupid heads to take a character that should've remained a supporting one behind her computer and start giving her way too much attention since season 2 or 3, going as far as making her the target of unsubs a few times just to give her unneeded focus.

• Love 2

It made sense for Garcia to be the one to leave.

She was the one member of the BAU who had a real chance for a life outside law enforcement. And. this way, the rest of the team is out there doing what they do best.

• Love 4

Serious question:  how come the writers don’t seem to understand their own shows and characters?  Shows become terrible when the writers don’t understand that their character is the one that the viewers perceive, not the ones the writers think they created. 
Hence the audience  issues with a Garcia that is in her 40s, and behaves like someone under 21.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

I bet they didn't even explain why Emily and JJ turned down their job offers. That wouldn't surprise me.

Emily didn't turn anything down. Things changed.

And remember, it wasn't a technically a job offer, her name was placed in consideration for the job.

Edited by Mysteyman
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

It's been said by many on this thread, but since I've been a loyal fan from the beginning, I have to say it too: WTF with the series finale being ALL about Penelope, the most annoying character in this show. Ever. She is not the "heart" of the group, she is a grown woman who dresses like a tween in Japan and and is all "oh that's icky!" while working in the Behavioral Analysis unit of the FBI. The party should have been for Rossi, he should have retired and he could have written more books or perhaps occasionally consulting with the FBI when needed. 

You are not the glue of the team and the fact that they made the last episode all about her shows how TPTB are out of touch with the viewers.

End rant. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, hookedontv said:

It's been said by many on this thread, but since I've been a loyal fan from the beginning, I have to say it too: WTF with the series finale being ALL about Penelope, the most annoying character in this show. Ever. She is not the "heart" of the group, she is a grown woman who dresses like a tween in Japan and and is all "oh that's icky!" while working in the Behavioral Analysis unit of the FBI. The party should have been for Rossi, he should have retired and he could have written more books or perhaps occasionally consulting with the FBI when needed. 

You are not the glue of the team and the fact that they made the last episode all about her shows how TPTB are out of touch with the viewers.

End rant. 

I think MGG might disagree that the finale was all about Garcia. and by his own words, HE LOVED IT!

(edited)

Looking back I think my issues with the finale and entire  season as a whole is that it was so...:pedestrian.  You can put it in any other season and it would fit.   Maybe because it focused so much on Reid and the rest of the characters got a line or two.   Heck writing Garcia and Alvez as a couple came out of literal nowhere even though I have thought they've had super chemistry since his first episode.    It would have been nice to actually write the pairing.   

Plus it would  have been nice to see what the gone and not dead members of the team were doing.   Even just in passing.

but instead the show wrote some of the worst unsubs in the history of the show and a main bad guy who was half interesting.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 2/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, SSA Emily Prentiss said:

I bet they didn't even explain why Emily and JJ turned down their job offers. That wouldn't surprise me.

After shit went down and FBI agents died Emily refused to pass the buck like Strauss had once done.  Which meant it all fell on her and her name was taken off the short list for director.   Which also meant JJ wouldn’t be leading the team.   As for JJ it wasn’t really implied either way if she would take the job offered to her or not.   It could be read either way.   But my interpretation was she decided to stay with the team.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Looking back I think my issues with the finale and entire  season as a whole is that it was so...:pedestrian.  You can put it in any other season and it would fit.   Maybe because it focused so much on Reid and the rest of the characters got a line or two.   Heck writing Garcia and Alvez as a couple came out of literal nowhere even though I have thought they've had super chemistry since his first episode.    It would have been nice to actually write the pairing.   

Plus it would  have been nice to see what the gone and not dead members of the team were doing.   Even just in passing.

but instead the show wrote some of the worst unsubs in the history of the show and a main bad guy who was half interesting.   

I suppose the most diplomatic reason for why this season went the way it did was that CBS maybe sprung the cancellation news onto the writers suddenly, forcing a rewrite of what they already had. It could explain why we had Cases Of The Week in what was supposed to be the final run of episodes.

I also suppose that perhaps the writers didn't want to write a series of episodes that were "too far" from the kind of episodes they did before. It would explain why they concluded the series with a final scene that suggested things were going to operate like they did before- we would just not get to see those episodes.

I don't know. I largely agree that the ball was dropped and I had different expectations for how this season would play out. I didn't disagree with the choice to end the series with the implication that the BAU would still continue but they should have done something to indicate that, after the finale, a "new" era of the BAU was beginning. If they didn't want characters to leave the BAU they could have at least given the team awards or someone could write a book about the BAU thus elevating their stature.

I mean, in-Universe, catching the Chameleon was a big deal...why didn't the show recognize that?

As for the Chameleon himself, I remember saying in my initial assessment of him that they had thought him out a bit better, he could have been a more "iconic" character. For one, they should have cast a better actor, because for a "final villain" you should go all out meaning you get someone who's higher profile than Michael Mosley. No disrespect to Mosley but he's nowhere near the guy I would picture to be the guy closing out one of the longest running TV shows in American history.

(I mean, Hawaii 5-0 is getting Chuck Norris for its finale. Chuck freaking Norris. Why couldn't CM get him or someone of his stature?)

Secondly, I don't think he should have been introduced via flashbacks. We should have seen his first case in real time.

Thirdly, and more importantly, I believe he should have had a different MO other than "cutting people's faces off". That's a pretty unique MO for a criminal which would make him easier for the police to catch- even if he kills in different states, in today's 24/7 Internet news world, how would someone not think a series of murders where the face was cut off would be done by the same guy? Pretty easy to detect and corner, methinks.

Rather, I suggested that he changes his appearance by using items he stole from the people he murdered, like a shirt or a necklace or a tie. That would be a bit harder for a layperson to put together and would likely require someone of Rossi's calibre to figure out. It might be harder to write, but the show's final villain should be a unique challenge to the writers. He shouldn't be a rehash of someone they did before.

As for other parts of the finale- the writers should have thrown in a line or two discussing the other agents that have been on this team, at the very least Morgan and Hotch. Morgan, at least (given his history with Garcia), should have had a mention, since it's inconceivable that he'd miss Garcia's going away party unless he had a great reason to miss it, like being stuck on one of his restoration projects. Hotch, for his part, could have been away in seclusion with Jack, who may be becoming a great soccer player at this stage. Then there's Elle, Alex, Ashley and Kate...it might have been awkward to shoehorn them in to the dialogue but, at least for someone like Elle and Alex, who also had significant contributions to the team, they should have at least tried.

Finally...Garvez. I know I didn't say I bought the attraction between Luke and Garcia, and I still don't. I do want to say it has nothing to do with looks- I just think their personalities aren't a fit. Garcia, even in the most generous of character assessments, would be someone who'd be emotionally needy because she's very neurotic and likely needs a lot of reassurance. Garcia, then, would need someone who is not just patient but would be able to reassure her and calm her down- Morgan fit much better with her in this regard, especially since we've seen him do it with Garcia multiple times. Luke, while laid back, doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd want to put in that kind of "emotional" work- he'd rather have the simple life with a simple woman.

Which is why Lisa worked much better with him. Of course, if the writers wanted Garvez to be the end game, they had a chance to set that all up in "Luke" and develop the relationship instead of springing up haphazardly in the finale. It could have been a nice story for the last twenty or so episodes, but the writers dropped the ball.

• Love 1

The two-part series finale honestly seemed like the Reid/Rossi/Garcia show and everyone else got put on the back burner. Rossi got the spotlight in the first episode, which was kinda fine for me since The Chameleon was associated with him. Don't get me wrong, Reid will ALWAYS be my favorite character on Criminal Minds and I love any episode he's the star in, but was it really necessary to for him to have his own personal side story in the second part of the series finale? Look, I get it, Reid's by far the most popular character on the show and the writers know this, so they write for him. But I thought the very last episode should've been more team-centric rather than just handpicked character's centric. I also hate how they made such a big deal about Garcia. Sure she's a main character, but she's the tech analyst and has always been treated as a "side character" sort of speak in comparison with the profilers. The huge amount of focus on her in the last quarter just seemed really forced and unnecessary. Also, I don't even like JJ, but she has been there since the first season as well and it's like the writers didn't even care about her in the finale. 

• Love 2

First of all, happy Easter to everyone! I wish you the best.

And now, I've been putting off watching the final episode for a while... I guess it is about time that I do it, but I have a feeling that I will hate it. Oh, well...

On 4/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, Mislav said:

First of all, happy Easter to everyone! I wish you the best.

And now, I've been putting off watching the final episode for a while... I guess it is about time that I do it, but I have a feeling that I will hate it. Oh, well...

Mislav, What did you think of the finale?

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 5:03 AM, Mysteyman said:

Mislav, What did you think of the finale?

Wow, a lot of time has passed. I apologize for the delay, many things got in the way. Cliche excuse, I know. I did watch the series finale soon after writing that comment... and I hated it. I just never seemed to get around to writing everything down. But now I did.

My thoughts:

• Like other posters have pointed out, it made no sense for Foyet to appear in Spencer's nightmare as a personification of evil. I could see Tobias Hankel in that role, or Cat Adams, or even Diane Turner, but why Foyet? That only served to remind us-once again-of Hotch's absence, more than anything.

• Well, at least they tried when it came to that aspect. Since either none of the old cast members were available, or willing to return, and there wasn't much time anyway, the best they could have pulled off was Reid going down the memory lane while in a coma, and use flashbacks (well, scenes from old episodes) and few old cast members willing to return. So, at least they tried, they didn't just ignore the past completely. But still... it just didn't work. Putting lipstick on a pig and all that...

• And yes, there is no way Spencer wouldn't have gone for a check up after surviving that explosion... they could have simply had him lose consciousness and be rushed to the hospital as the result of the explosion and end the episode there, then reveal that Everett Lynch survived at the beginning of the next episode. Having Spencer seem fine at first and then collapse at the end of the episode was a cheap shock effect. Yes, it gave him an opportunity to deduce that Lynch faked his death before [Reid] collapsed, but he never got to share that finding with the team, and they found out the next morning after the DNA results came in anyway.

• Interesting how the explosion caused by Everett Lynch killed six FBI agents, causing Emily to consider to resign. Kind of like the tragedy that caused Gideon's mental breakdown prior to the show. I wonder was that intentional.

• How can Reid's mother make medical decisions on his behalf if she suffers from schizophrenia and Alzheimer's? Again, the writers could have easily had someone from the team be in charge of that, and still have Spencer's mother pay him a visit at the hospital.

• In his coma dream, Reid says that the last time he saw Gideon was over twelve years ago. So... in early season three, before Gideon left? Reid didn't even pay him a visit in seven years before his [Gideon's] death, not even once? I find that hard to believe.

• Why was JJ, of all people, the one to keep Everett Lynch at gunpoint during his meeting with Rossi? She is a sniper now too? I almost LOLed when I saw her up there.

• How on Earth did Krystal let Everett Lynch into the house? He was hardly even disguised! She must have known what he looked like.

• Literally *none* of the previous cast members made an appearance in the finale? Seriously? Sure, we saw Strauss and Maeve, but they were never a regulars. At the very least, Morgan should have been there. Shemar Moore already made two cameos since his exit, so I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have gotten him on board.

• Not only that, but Maxine doesn't even get a mention in the finale, let alone an appearance?

And though I like Rachel Leigh Cook, and her character did have some chemistry with Reid, I don't know... I said this before, I think that an actress like Amara Zaragoza or Emily Swallow would have been better choices to portray Reid's love interest. But in the end, his love interest wasn't included in the finale anyway.

• After all that, Rossi still doesn't retire in the series finale? Really? Had the show ended a few seasons ago (and it really should have), I would have been OK with him staying on the team, but come on. At the very least, he should not be out in the field anymore. I have a hard time buying Rossi (who would be, at the very least, 68 years old by now) chasing suspects around while brandishing a gun. No disrespect to Joe Mantegna. If they really wanted to center the finale around Everett Lynch, the show should have ended with Rossi's retirement party, without all that ridiculous Garcia drama/lovefest. That would have also been a good opportunity for Morgan (and maybe even some other former cast members) to make an appearance.

• And WTF was that with Luke asking Garcia out? They have no chemistry and it came out of nowhere. It is not like it can even go anywhere, since it was literally the last episode of the show. Not that I want to see it, of course. That seemed like something straight out of a bad fanfic... like most of the last few seasons, I guess.

• Also, that speech Emily gave at the end? About how Penelope taught them that change can be a good thing? Yeah... no. Out of all the characters, Garcia may be the worst example of change ever. Not just on "Criminal Minds", but in the history of TV shows. I know that Erica Messer is delusional, but that almost felt like rubbing salt in the wound.

There were literally only three things that I liked:

• seeing Maeve again

• nobody got killed off

• and I guess blowing up the jet in the final episode was kind of neat, albeit very unrealistic, and I don't think I ever really saw the jet as the character of its own (Impala from "Supernatural", sure, but the jet...?)

Really, the whole Everett Lynch arc was very unsatisfying, dragged out, and not interesting at all. If they really wanted to have a memorable and formidable villain for the final season, they should have put in more effort. A lot more effort. I know that it is difficult to come up with new ideas after fifteen years. For example, one of my ideas for the final season/arc was for the BAU to deal with a serial killer targeting serial killers. Basically, the unsub targeting other unsubs the team had captured over the years. Starting off with the ones who have been released from prison or mental institution by now, and eventually even progressing to infiltrating prisons and mental hospitals in order to kill them. And, preferably, using their own M.O.s against them. Killing them the same way they would kill their victims.

The idea was that the unsub is a thrill killer who has been killing people under the radar for years, eventually escalating to more and more risky behavior with increasingly shorter cooling-off periods. But he never gets caught. After a while, he gets bored of it all, and takes it to a whole new level, seeking out the ultimate thrill; targeting other serial killers. Predator preying on other predators. Like in that movie, "Suspect Zero". In my opinion, that would have been something interesting, exciting and fairly original. Still unrealistic and contrived, of course, but at least there would have been some effort and creativity there, and it would have given them an opportunity to actually visit old, beloved cases and bring some old characters (both the unsubs and team members) back.

In the end, I doubt I will ever rewatch any of the new seasons. Ever. (By that I mean anything past season 10, maybe even season 9.) Not just because the cases are almost all terrible, which they are. I've covered that many times before, and I have no desire to repeat myself. But also because... and I know this may be unfair and unreasonable... because seeing Luke and Matt on the screen makes me want to throw up. I know it isn't fair. I've got nothing against the actors, of course. And the characters themselves, albeit poorly written, are not bad people, obviously... but I just can't stand them and they disgust me to the core (yes, hyperbole, obviously). I actually didn't even mind them that much at first, but I really grew to despise them as the time went on.

In the end, the whole thing was such a bitter disappointment... "Criminal Minds" finale should have been about, well, "Criminal Minds. And Matt, Luke and Tara (though I don't mind her as much) definitely aren't "Criminal Minds", and they never will be. Unfortunately, neither were Spencer and Emily, at least not completely, not after what the show turned them into. Garcia definitely wasn't a part of the "Criminal Minds" anymore, more like a cringey nuisance. And the final unsub, that came off as a villain from a slightly more ambitious (and ridiculous) Lifetime movie, was anything but worthy of even appearing on the show, let alone being the focus of the series finale.

So many wasted opportunities... I'm done. I like to pretend that the last five or six seasons never happened.

Edited by Mislav
  • Love 3
On 2/20/2020 at 12:06 AM, ForeverAlone said:

Hmmm...well at least there was more team in the second hour, but of course they had to bring Lynch back for one final, ridiculous turn. I can't believe they actually were allowed to sacrifice the private jet just to get him. And the FBI just gifted them a new one? Yeah, sure, okay. Emily should be glad she still has a job after that screw up with the SWAT team. But no more director consideration for her. 

What, it's not protocol for the FBI to deliberately shoot fuel tanks and blow up a multi multi million dollar jet?!?  They couldn't just instruct a few trucks to BLOCK THE PATH OF THE JET, and for good measure you can try to shoot out the tires. Sheesh priorities here...the agents don't have to pay for the jet, just light that sucker up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Colorado David said:

What, it's not protocol for the FBI to deliberately shoot fuel tanks and blow up a multi multi million dollar jet?!?  They couldn't just instruct a few trucks to BLOCK THE PATH OF THE JET, and for good measure you can try to shoot out the tires. Sheesh priorities here...the agents don't have to pay for the jet, just light that sucker up.

Not that I disagree with your assessment, because I totally do, but Rossi stated afterward that he paid for a new jet with his own money. Which...depending on what jet he bought it oscillates from "borderline plausible" to "downright unbelievable". The Gulfstream IV, the original jet, is priced at $4.4 million in 2018, which is perhaps not outside of Rossi's price range given a lot of the other stuff we're expected to believe that he's also bought (like the Medieval painting from "Identity" that Rossi said "cost more than my first house").

However, the Gulfstream IV was discontinued in 2018, so all Rossi could get now are used versions which would likely be cheaper (though still priced in the millions). It's possible the FBI would approve of the BAU flying around in used aircraft, but, to ensure the highest quality standards and a long running life, Rossi is probably limited to more expensive newer but still used Gulfstream IV's.

Of course, you wonder if someone like Rossi, who likes his toys to be shiny, would not prefer to buy a brand new, fresh off the production line jet. Which brings us to the Gulfstream V. Which is priced at $36-43 million. Let's be honest with ourselves, I know Rossi is said to be unbelievably rich...but he's not that rich. To have $40 million in disposable income, you'd have to be a billionaire, and I can't think of any scenario where a billionaire would want (or even could be suited for) FBI investigative and field work like Rossi returned to. Someone that rich would likely be very powerful on a political level and would be too famous for investigative pursuits (which require discretion). Besides, if Rossi were a billionaire, why wouldn't he think to get into politics so that he could control the FBI itself and remodel it as he sees fit? No doubt he would have always wanted to do that, and being a billionaire makes that a realistic goal. Long story short, he'd have loftier ambitions than just simply wanting to solve that "one case that got away".

Lastly, I mention all this stuff before I get to the fact that whatever jet that Rossi buys would need to be modified to fit all the security and communications needs that would be required to function in the operation of the FBI. I don't know what the cost would be offhand, but I would imagine this would also be a substantial cost. Perhaps the FBI would cover these costs themselves, but then, I'm not sure it's a smart use of Bureau funds to spend millions on a jet that could be better used to hire more agents and build more offices.

I mean, honestly, I know it's a common thread in CM discussions about how implausible it is for the team to have their own jet, but I can't imagine, even in CM's strange world, that the FBI would think replacing the jet would be a wise investment. They would tolerate it as long as they need to but once it's gone, the Bureau would probably tell the BAU, "fly commercial, we'll foot the tickets" because it would be much cheaper than paying for a brand new jet.

So...if you're still reading this...we're still talking about a purchase that will cost somewhere between $5 million and $45 million that Rossi would have to foot entirely on his own if the BAU is to ever get its jet back. Kind of beggars belief that Rossi would have that kind of money to just donate to the FBI. Perhaps he'd be that charitable and would care enough about his work that he would be willing to foot that kind of a bill, but I also think if he were the kind of person who has that kind of money to burn...why would he accept a "lowly" special agent position in the FBI when he could have the ability to get a higher position in the Bureau if not run for politics where he can revamp the Bureau completely himself?

• Applause 1
6 hours ago, Colorado David said:

it's actually on prentiss and jj, as prentiss ordered 'shoot the fuel tanks' and jj used the flare. rossi is pretty much free of responsibility here IMO.

I guess I was thinking Prentiss might not have ordered the destruction of the jet unless she knew she could get a new one. Doubt the FBI would authorize destroying something that costly. Then again, in the heat of the moment, you might not be too worried about protocols and procedure.

In any case, Rossi stated he paid for a new jet, which is why the team had one at the end of the episode. Which, no matter why it was done, is absurd.

• Applause 1

This was just on one of the daily marathons, so I saw it again. And hated it just as much, if not more, than the first time. I am still furious that they wasted this final episode on Penelope. And, to make it worse, I believe the actress directed this one.  At least now that the finale is over, we are back at Season 1, episode 1. Good times, except for Elle. Everyone looks so fresh.