Type keyword(s) to search

I Just Can't Quit You: Shows You Want To Stop Watching But Can't

• Start Topic

The View.  How I wish there were something else of interest to me on at that time to steal me away.  I hate what the show has become, and use it as just background noise now.  It's not even fun to snark on it anymore. <groan>  This show really needs to go away.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don't usually have a problem giving up shows that no longer interest me, but I did watch "Battlestar Galactica" to the bitter end, and "Cougar Town." Sometimes, I'll watch the last episode of a show I used to enjoy, just to see how it wraps up, but not always.

• Love 1

I need someone to make HIMYM stop.  It was good and then it wasn't.   Then the finale retroactively destroyed the entire series.  And yet, I find the lack of new programming most nights is driving me to watch reruns from the early seasons.  I'm disgusted with myself.

• Love 1
Still haven't given up on Supernatural or Criminal Minds yet.

It took me a long time to give up on Criminal Minds.  I finally realized around season 8 that I was hate-watching and pulled the plug. There was a bit of withdrawal and grief, but I've come out on the other side unscathed.

• Love 2

I don't usually have a problem giving up shows that no longer interest me, but I did watch "Battlestar Galactica" to the bitter end.

Battlestar Galactica was brilliant until the last half season and then it was....less brilliant. It was never a bad show. At its worst it was better then average show.

• Love 4

NCIS and the Big Bang Theory. Both shows used to be really good and I used to really love them. But for me NCIS stopped being good about three or four seasons ago. Now I'm at the point where I dislike nearly every character on the show. Same with the Big Bang Theory it used to be really funny. Every once in awhile I see glimmers of the good show they used to be but I keep watching in hopes it'll go back to the good shows they used to be.

Bluebloods an odd one for me. I want to like it and I do watch the show because I like the concept a family of cops, their cases and the family dynamics. But I honestly don't like anyone in the family. Unlike NCIS or the Big Bang Theory I've started out not liking most of the characters. I disliked Danny, Grandpa, Nicky and Linda from the beginning. The constant speeches and righteous from Frank. I like Baker, I like Jamie's boss. But I really don't like anyone else on the show. And I don't know why I keep watching. 

• Love 2

Bluebloods an odd one for me. I want to like it and I do watch the show because I like the concept a family of cops, their cases and the family dynamics. But I honestly don't like anyone in the family. Unlike NCIS or the Big Bang Theory I've started out not liking most of the characters. I disliked Danny, Grandpa, Nicky and Linda from the beginning. The constant speeches and righteous from Frank. I like Baker, I like Jamie's boss. But I really don't like anyone else on the show. And I don't know why I keep watching. 

I've officially quit watching this show with the end of season 5.  I decided to do so earlier, but for me going cold turkey at the end of a season works better, especially without cliffhangers (and I will give Show this much credit:  I don't think they have done a ZOMG cliffhanger even once).  Baker is great, Garrett has his moments, Donnie's old boss who now works at 1PP is good, and I enjoy the mayor (John Diggle's (Arrow) paraplegic secret identity in NYC).  But every Reagan from Pops down to the boys is some variation of Jack Lord's Steve McGarrett.  As an artifact of mid-century culture, that role told us a lot.  But it's a trope that I personally think the early 21rst century can put to bed.  Also, as a fan of Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mysteries, and Caleb Carr's The Alienist, I really wish the show had done more to acknowledge the history of NYC policing then the occasional Serpico allusion.  Having Frank (and probably Selleck hizzelf) be a fan of Theodore Roosevelt, who was PC in the 1890s, was something I don't think they ever explored.  It would have been cool.

So, my Tom Selleck love notwithstanding (in the 80s, Thursday night and the prospect of all that eye candy was often the only thing that got me through the week), I am done with this show.  I do not flounce, I do not tirade, I do not seek converts or followers.  I just give up on a show that I only started watching for Tom Selleck.  And I thank Show for reminding me that sometimes you don't have to follow an actor whose work you usually love.

• Love 1

For me, NCIS has actually improved over the past two seasons, a rare example of a long-lived tv show that actually bumped up its quality after seeing it decline for several seasons. As soon as they got rid of Ziva, the show got better, and as soon as they got past trying to make Bishop into a Mary Sue, it really became must-see tv for me again.

• Love 3

Bluebloods an odd one for me. I want to like it and I do watch the show because I like the concept a family of cops, their cases and the family dynamics. But I honestly don't like anyone in the family.

I like the recent posts on Bluebloods, especially this one.  I also gave this show a try because it seemed moderately popular.  And I don't like anyone in the family either, with the exception of the youngest brother, (the Harvard grad) who I might like because he doesn't talk too much.

I feel like I'm the kind of person who would like a good family drama, but I've struck out a lot.  The initial appeal of Bluebloods was that the stories seemed to center around the adults.  However, there really wasn't any kind of drama or tension in the first season.  Reminds me of the 80's Wendy's commercial: 

I also tried Brothers and Sisters (which got on my nerves because everyone was too high strung), and Parenthood (where no one seemed to know how to smile).  I didn't care about any of those people.  I honestly think I don't want to watch the crises of present day middle/upper class "white" America on tv anymore. 

• Love 2
(edited)

For me, NCIS has actually improved over the past two seasons, a rare example of a long-lived tv show that actually bumped up its quality after seeing it decline for several seasons. As soon as they got rid of Ziva, the show got better, and as soon as they got past trying to make Bishop into a Mary Sue, it really became must-see tv for me again.

I never thought Bishop was a Mary Sue which is why I like her and am considering watching NCIS again on the Reg. if anything Ziva was a Mary Sue perfect at everything and the center of every conspiracy.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
(edited)

To me, Psych owns this thread. Owns it, I tell you.

Right up until Season 5, I liked it. It was my fluffy TV. Even Shawn and his antics were perfectly okay with me, even if he sometimes got on my nerves.

Theeeen...season six, which was hit or miss. It had some great episodes, but some real dogs. ("In for a Penny..." still makes me grind my teeth. They completely retconned Juliet's character, made her eventual acceptance of Shawn's lies completely unbelievable, and made me want to claw my eyes out.)

I should have quit with "In for a Penny..." Right there. I should've been out of it.

Season seven was a lackluster at best. Then thre was the awful, terrible, no good season eight. It's like they no longer gave a crap and went for being wacky for the sake of being wacky. The only redeeming thing in the entire season eight was Lassie getting to be chief and his new right-hand woman. Other than that, the season was terrible. It didn't go out with a bang, but with a "Thank God it's over!"

I kept hoping Psych would get better those last two seasons, but it did not. Ugh!

Psych was never my favorite show, but I did watch it for entertainment and I generally agree with this.  I think it was a classic example of a show where you stick to it for the supporting cast - not that James Roday wasn't good, but Shawn was such a horribly immature character, and he never had to own up to  it.  The finale was great for most of the characters (agree on loving to see Lassie make Chief) but having Shawn and Gus move to SF without acknowledging Shawn's fakery stuck in my craw - also they never really gave Gus a chance to fall in love and have a real happy ending despite Gus being smarter, more honest, harder working, and just more likeable than Shawn.  That bugged me most of all.

I have to add for myself that I just can't quit The Weather Channel - I hate their over hyped named winter storms and reality shows, but every time a real weather event happens they do cover it thoroughly.  I tried to watch Weather Nation for awhile, but they seem to operate on a shoestring with barely even a remote commentator or two.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3

When I watched Psych, I played it like everyone knew Shawn was faking, but he really did close cases so everyone "believed". They basically came out and had Chief Vick say it, and Lassie flat out said he knew Shawn wasn't psychic once. I think the actor also played like Lassie knew too. Having Jules actually believe Shawn made her more into doormat and was a really poor dramatic choice imo. I pretend that Gus really got in Shawn's face and made him own up to her if they were going to get married. 

• Love 2

I've only seen scattered episodes at a friend's house - she's a fan, and will show me the episodes that spoof/honor something she knows I like - so my exposure is limited, but I assumed Juliet knew the truth (at least at some point, given their relationship).  I'm disturbed by the knowledge she didn't.  I've been pondering borrowing my friend's DVDs because the episodes I've seen have been enjoyable, but you've really given me pause.

Since you are watching, I won't go into detail but she did find out.  My issue with the whole thing was that it worked much better thinking all the cops were playing along because Shawn was Shawn but his shtick helped close cases.  I fanwanked that they could only hire on consultants that had special skills so they pretended to believe Shawn was psychic otherwise they couldn't work with him.  When confronted with the fact that Juliet believed the whole time it made Juliet look naïve and inept.

• Love 2

I enjoyed Psych to the end, but they really damaged Juliet's character with that storyline. I don't know why they went that way and agree it would've been much better if she'd known and played along, like Vick and Lassie.

One of the many things I loved about Psych was that they often played with their opening theme song to reflect the episode. I also appreciate that, unlike some other USA shows, it stayed true to itself and never surrendered to USA's decision to stop being entertaining.

• Love 7

Since you are watching, I won't go into detail but she did find out.  My issue with the whole thing was that it worked much better thinking all the cops were playing along because Shawn was Shawn but his shtick helped close cases.  I fanwanked that they could only hire on consultants that had special skills so they pretended to believe Shawn was psychic otherwise they couldn't work with him.  When confronted with the fact that Juliet believed the whole time it made Juliet look naïve and inept.

If Shawn wanted to be a private investigator, he would have to be licensed, but psychics don't need one, so that was his loophole. I think they said it in the pilot, but it's been a few years since I've seen it.

• Love 2
(edited)

^I think that's right.

My issue with the whole thing was that it worked much better thinking all the cops were playing along because Shawn was Shawn but his shtick helped close cases.

Additionally Shawn and Gus took on cases outside of the police, so I figured Lassie and Vick actually didn't want to ruin his business out of respect for Henry. 

I also like to think that Jules would have talked Shawn into being a licensed PI after the show ended too. They established that the show takes place in 

the Monk universe

and there's no way that this particular police chief would just hire Shawn on as a psychic.

This show was like the last of the "USA brand" shows. At the time, the existing shows all got really "dark, gritty" and became nearly unwatchable. Not for nothing, if Burn Notice premiered with the type of show it ended as, it would've tanked. 

Where are those kinds of shows now? Falling Skies should have been like that. The Librarians is kind of like that, because it's from the Leverage group. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

I enjoyed Psych to the end, but they really damaged Juliet's character with that storyline. I don't know why they went that way and agree it would've been much better if she'd known and played along, like Vick and Lassie.

I'm sure I'll go ahead and watch the DVDs one day, because I find it a delightful little show, but, yeah, Juliet not being in on it is quite disappointing.

I'm sure I'll go ahead and watch the DVDs one day, because I find it a delightful little show, but, yeah, Juliet not being in on it is quite disappointing.

I'm fairly new to the show, watched all eight seasons over the course of 4-5 months recently. It is a delightful little show that stayed true to itself through it's whole run. While it is disappointing at times to watch Juliet and Shawn together, it doesn't diminish the show for me. In reality, the question of whether or not Shawn is a psychic is really not focused on much after the first season. I think it was a smart choice by the show so they could focus on the cases and their silly homages and the fun. 

• Love 2

I rarely caught any of the pineapples. I thought they did do a good job with the "horror" and most of the 'themed' episodes. Actually, one of the good things about the show is that Shawn and Gus were never really 'heroes'. They got scared and ran away a lot. Even though Shawn's schitck could be a bit much, it was refreshing that Jules was actually a good cop. 

• Love 5

I didn't realize the pineapples were a thing until I was halfway through the series and it dawned on me there were a lot of pineapples here and there. I'm gonna have to pay attention more when I rewatch the show.

• Love 1

Chicago PD. I never bought the premise that the lead was saved from his actions on the parent Chicago Fire and have been just waiting as it ends like The Shield did. Even with other cop characters getting stories, unlike The Shields strike team I could care less what happens to them before Voight goes down in the series finale. 

I guess the action scenes are good and realistic enough to catch and episode rather than a repeat of a show that I am not hate watching

This is Supernatural for me. It's gone on forever and bringing Mary back has not been good for the show, but they still manage to do enough entertaining episodes every season that I have a hard time giving it up.

• Love 2

Fear the Walking Dead. It is objectively a not good show but I like zombies and it's less unnecessarily gory and pessimistic than the mothership.

23 hours ago, slf said:

it's less unnecessarily gory and pessimistic

But it's a prequel!  Nothing they do is going to work! How could anything be MORE pessimistic?   I gave up on the original show because the futility of it all was depressing me - I never even considered watching this prequel.

12 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

But it's a prequel!  Nothing they do is going to work! How could anything be MORE pessimistic?   I gave up on the original show because the futility of it all was depressing me - I never even considered watching this prequel.

It was never really a prequel. And now

Spoiler

it’s on the same timeline because Morgan is on the show after he left the WD.

I know this topic is old, but I am addicted to East Enders on our local PBS station.  I started watching it about 6 years ago and really enjoyed the characters, but now they have the most unsympathetic cast; but like a car crash I can't look away.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, catlover79 said:

No question - SVU. Here's hoping S21 will be the last, though Dick Wolf will probably want to keep going!!!

I will put a HEX on him if he does. He didn’t fight for the more superior Mothership Law & Order when it came time to renew for its 21st season renewal!!!!

C1259686-31BF-4528-99D6-90F5A36A3BE3.gif

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 10
On 4/25/2019 at 7:38 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

I know this topic is old, but I am addicted to East Enders on our local PBS station.  I started watching it about 6 years ago and really enjoyed the characters, but now they have the most unsympathetic cast; but like a car crash I can't look away.

I used to love that, when it was first airing, and then it was habit to watch. I was happy to find it on PBS over here, when we moved to Ohio, but it didn't air as much as it does in England, and I didn't know how far behind it was. Then they did a marathon on New Year's Day 2000, I think it was - a surprisingly nice, warm day - and it depressed me so much! I went outside with my dad, instead. Had to stop watching. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, catlover79 said:

No question - SVU. Here's hoping S21 will be the last, though Dick Wolf will probably want to keep going!!!

So this. I've had more than enough of that.

I haven't watched it or NCIS for years now. And they both used to be shows that I couldn't quit.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I haven't watched it or NCIS for years now. And they both used to be shows that I couldn't quit.

Seriously, the show only really started to tank when Mariska was made an EP. Before that, it was still for the most part an ensemble show for the first couple of seasons after Chris Meloni left. When she began to become a producer and sometimes director as well as star...it became the All St. Olivia, All the Time Hour. Blecccccch.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

They both used to be for me too. I don't know why it took me so long to drop both after I stopped liking them. I hated most of the main characters in both for so long but still kept watching. I dropped SVU first but still kept watching NCIS until a year or two ago when I finally quit. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Seriously, the show only really started to tank when Mariska was made an EP. Before that, it was still for the most part an ensemble show for the first couple of seasons after Chris Meloni left. When she began to become a producer and sometimes director as well as star...it became the All St. Olivia, All the Time Hour. Blecccccch.

Agreed. Now it's just what you mentioned and it's unwatchable. Only time I've come back is when Jack McCoy was on for an episode, and I missed him. 😛

• Love 4

The real bitch of trying to quit certain shows is when I start the DVD collecting. Still collecting Grey's, Orange ITNB, Shameless, SOA etc...I'm way behind there! 

And damn I'm damn sick of my SVU rotation of ADAs. That's the only one I'm current on. Very reluctantly.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

The real bitch of trying to quit certain shows is when I start the DVD collecting. Still collecting Grey's, Orange ITNB, Shameless, SOA etc...I'm way behind there! 

And damn I'm damn sick of my SVU rotation of ADAs. That's the only one I'm current on. Very reluctantly.  

Yep. I still have s11 of the XF to go. Only watched that for the lols, given things. But honestly would have quit after s10, given how the fans and the characters were treated.

• Love 1

I was so close to quitting Mad Men when it became Everybody Loves Megan, but I did stick it out and I really liked how the show ended.

I did basically quit This is Us over the Randall election storyline, but I might come back for season 4. Who knows?

I didn't watch the back half of season 3 Fuller House because I was too pissed at the Steve/DJ/CJ/Matt love triangle, so I just caught back in with them at season 4 and really enjoyed that season.

• Love 2
On 6/1/2019 at 4:51 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I was so close to quitting Mad Men when it became Everybody Loves Megan, but I did stick it out and I really liked how the show ended.

I did basically quit This is Us over the Randall election storyline, but I might come back for season 4. Who knows?

I didn't watch the back half of season 3 Fuller House because I was too pissed at the Steve/DJ/CJ/Matt love triangle, so I just caught back in with them at season 4 and really enjoyed that season.

I wanted to quit Mad Men so many times but every now and then they would do something great and just suck me back in. I stayed until the bitter end, even though I also enjoyed most of the finale.

I am over This Is Us, I'm not even sure when I quit, sometime around the adoption of the foster daughter or when Randall bought a building, I forget and I don't miss it.

• Love 2

This crap year has broken me to the point where i have made the decision to try to skip the new season of South Park. Certain storylines have frustrated me for a long time, including certain characters that have become even more loathsome than Cartman -- I know how that sounds, but it's true. But it's this year that might have finally done it for me...as much as I loved the show and made me laugh when I needed it, I have no desire to see the events of this year and the terrible people that made it worse satirized. But I might change my mind depending on how the rest of this year turns out.

• Love 2