Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: It's Not About the Pastor

• Start Topic

Stassi, Katie, and Lala throw Brittany a princess-themed bridal shower, while James gets disinvited from Peter’s birthday party. Lisa Vanderpump takes Raquel to task for walking out on her shift during Pride, and Dayna and Max decide to take the next step in their relationship. Finally, when a scandal erupts concerning Jax and Brittany’s pastor, Sandoval and Ariana take a moral stance that threatens to tear the bridal parties apart and ruin their friendships forever.

Airs February 18, 2020.

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

Oh god. Brittany and Jax have a terrible minister and Tom and Ariana take a moral stance? I imagine I will end up hating all four of them by the end of the episode.

This might be a dumb meta question,  but why all the moral outrage over Brittany's "homophobic" minister now? Everyone has know about this for several years, right? 

• Love 11

I am still waiting for the Lisa confrontation with Tom over his handling of the Stassi book signing.  It has been several weeks now.  Could be gold, I tell ya, GOLD!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 2/17/2020 at 8:38 AM, Ubiquitous said:

This might be a dumb meta question,  but why all the moral outrage over Brittany's "homophobic" minister now? Everyone has know about this for several years, right? 

Because Buzzfeed and people on social media finally decided to call Jax, Brittany, LVP,  and Bravo on their hypocrisy and the fervor broke right as Vanderpump Rules was filming the Pride episodes. People brought up the pastor and Jax and Brittany's initial response was "Wayll, we talked to him and he won't say nuthin' 'bout no gay people at the weddin'." Then the cast was spotted filming for Pride and it really pissed people off. Jax had spent the better part of a year trying to out James. Billie Lee quit the show at the beginning of filming season 8, but Jax continued to harass her and her trans friends all over social media. Brittany's homophobic mother posted on social media pictures of Brittany's eleventy million bridal/wedding celebrations and there was that pastor and his family present for many of them. I think people had enough of these hypocrites and threatened to stop watching.

I have stopped watching, but I do still like Ariana and Sandoval and don't mind Dayna and Kristen. I know James has barely been on. Everyone else annoys me or I completely loathe. I vowed last year to not watch the Pride episode(s) because of the massive number of shabby allies on this show.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/this-pastor-who-has-made-transphobic-and-racist-remarks

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12

Does anyone know if there are any “traditions” of celebrating the union of two individuals after they return from the honeymoon?

‘Cuz this is whack.

I may just take a break from this show, if there will be more Brittany-And-Jax’s-Most-Perfect-Ultimate-Eternal-Love-Nah-It’s-Not-Likely-That-His-Penis-Will-Introduce-Itself-To-Any-Other-Entrances-To-Chambers-Of-Secrets (trademark Jake Peralta) gatherings.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 8

My daughter and her friends went to see Tom and Tom at the club at Harrah’s in Atlantic City this weekend.  Daughter doesn’t watch but her friends (and I) do lol.  The Toms gave everyone lots of face time.  My girl asked Schwartz if he would say hi to me and he taped a whole hello video to me calling me by name and asking where I was. (It was 2am and I was home in bed!)  That’s my daughter with Sandoval and she and her friend with Schwartz, it hurt to color out their faces but privacy..you know... anyway the girls had a blast and the tix were only like $25.

8E1924D2-962F-4FE5-B235-AEA9FE6D08F9.jpeg

0B544C2A-A154-4237-AB01-A604E7D5F681.jpeg

Edited by Rbonnie
Actually I can post two pix!
  • Love 21

I’ll hold off on commenting with specificity until this airs, but I think everyone has a right to have their point of view, whether others agree or disagree.  If this is the choice that Brittany and Jax made, their friends can voice their opinions and even opt out of the wedding, but friends will give their friends the space to make their marital choices.  

I defend Ariana when she doesn’t want to live a traditional life, and I defend those that do. I just have a feeling that this is going to turn into a one-way morality street of hypocrisy.  But we’ll see.

• Love 23

"He's a pastor!" Yes, Jax, because simply holding a position of religious authority means that someone is beyond reproach.

Edited to add:

Lisa to Raquel: "Didn't you think..."

Me: "Imma stop you right there Lisa.  The answer is no, Raquel does not think."

Edited by Steph J
  • LOL 18
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, nytonc said:

employer LVP  is a huge proponent of LGBTQ rights and some of your friends are LGBTQ and  your TV show has a large LGBTQ fan base,  then continuing to use that pastor or anyone who feels that way shows extremely poor judgement. I w

Not to mention just last week Brittany and Jax were whooping it up and making money off of PRIDE! To not call them out on this disconnect would be extremely weird to me.

• Love 18

If Lisa’s lips are moving, she’s lying.  If she tells Ken she just found out about this pastor, it means she knew about it for quite some time.  Stassi said it came out six months ago.  

I know Brittney is not very smart, but what does she mean when she keeps saying, about the pastor, “he is not that way.”  What way, Brittney?  If you want me on your side, you have to be able to articulate a side. 

I could be on her side if she would say, “his Tweets are in keeping with my understanding of the Bible,” because she’s entitled to her point of view.  This would probably get her kicked off the show though, and she should be prepared to accept the consequences.

I would be on her side if she said, “I completely disagree with my pastor’s take on ____, but he’s a family friend, and I want him to marry me.”  Because I don’t have proof, but I have a strong feeling that the minister who married my husband and me is really far removed from us ideologically.  But she was the best woman to do the job at the time, and she advanced our ideology at the wedding, and that’s all that should matter to the guests.  

If Brittney can’t even articulate where she’s coming from though, because she doesn’t want to alienate anyone?  I lost all respect for her.  

I want to see Raquel with no makeup and her hair pulled back.  That would be fucking scary!

• Love 17

Groomzilla.

Yeah. Both of them.  ‘zillas.

the reunion show of the sequence leading up to the bridal shower is gonna be a hoot.  Jax and Brittany are just being way to insular and need to get over their fine selves.

It occurs to me:  this is Lisa’s show.  Doesn’t matter if it is Brittany’s wedding.  It is Lisa’s show.  That stuff does NOT fly on HER show.  Period.  I am all in favor of the bride’s day and all that stuff, but I break rank here.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I know Brittney is not very smart, but what does she mean when she keeps saying, about the pastor, “he is not that way.”  What way, Brittney?  If you want me on your side, you have to be able to articulate a side. 

I may be off base, but I think what she's saying is, essentially, "He's not going out and bashing gays so it's not really a big deal."  Like how some people seem to believe that you're not really racist unless you're burning a cross on someone's lawn or something.

I would be on her side if she said, “I completely disagree with my pastor’s take on ____, but he’s a family friend, and I want him to marry me.”  Because I don’t have proof, but I have a strong feeling that the minister who married my husband and me is really far removed from us ideologically.

Is the minister far removed from Brittany ideologically though?  Because maybe she's defending the pastor because she agrees with his stance and doesn't see why "casual" homophobia should be a big deal.  Like you said, though, she'd get kicked off the show if she were to say that those views are in accord with her beliefs.

Edited by Steph J
  • Love 16
16 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

If Lisa’s lips are moving, she’s lying.  If she tells Ken she just found out about this pastor, it means she knew about it for quite some time.  Stassi said it came out six months ago.  

I could be on her side if she would say, “his Tweets are in keeping with my understanding of the Bible,” because she’s entitled to her point of view.  This would probably get her kicked off the show though, and she should be prepared to accept the consequences.

I would be on her side if she said, “I completely disagree with my pastor’s take on ____, but he’s a family friend, and I want him to marry me.”  Because I don’t have proof, but I have a strong feeling that the minister who married my husband and me is really far removed from us ideologically.  But she was the best woman to do the job at the time, and she advanced our ideology at the wedding, and that’s all that should matter to the guests.  

If Brittney can’t even articulate where she’s coming from though, because she doesn’t want to alienate anyone?  I lost all respect for her.  

I want to see Raquel with no makeup and her hair pulled back.  That would be fucking scary!

I think the reason she doesn’t come right out publicly to voice her disapproval of his disgusting comments is because deep down inside she agrees with him. And she’s as fucking  dumb as a box of rocks and can’t see that not speaking out against him will hurt them in the long run. Jaxass is equally stupid and just doesn’t give a shit. He’s only thinking about how long after the wedding he has to wait to fuck some random skank while on a boys’ trip.  

Edited by nytonc
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17

I haven't really been watching this season because I'm an unapologetic Kristen lover and I don't want to watch that gang-up. However, I watched today out of curiosity and regret it. These people are absolutely ridiculous. There is no way they did not know about the offensive things that this pastor was posting. It sounds like he's a family friend, Brittany knew. Her saying Jax should "knock [Sandoval] out" is ridiculous and she is in for a lot of backlash following this episode. Watching the others rally around her meltdown was painful.

Edited by Legalbeagle421
  • Love 21

Jax and Brittany won’t last.

There.  Now I don’t have to go to the wedding either.  

These two are so delusional it is painful to watch.  If Lisa hadn’t said something, there would have been no change.  They cannot scream at her the way they screamed at Sandoval.  No one is untouchable from a seriously bad decision.  these two are so fragile a mere breeze will blow them right into the Pacific Ocean.

and I thought the bridal shower was seriously original and totally appropriate given we are dealing with someone with the emotional maturity of a third grader.  Goes for both of them.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 21

Lisa - put your f'ing seatbelt on properly.

Beau - would be btter to put that casserole on the middle rack.

What troubled me is that most of them knew about the pastor for the last six months.  And it takes all  this time for Tom to confront Jax.  After they finally decide to change pastors.  Shut up Tom.  If you or anyone else was that upset,  say it when you found out.  Not two weeks before the wedding and a new pastor was decided on.

Get out Raquel.  No.  You really need to get out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
11 minutes ago, Legalbeagle421 said:

I don't mean this as a dig at you, I promise I come in peace lol. But I always feel a little uncomfortable when we don't check "problematic" viewpoints. I put problematic in quotes because of course, that is simply my opinion. As a minority, there are people out there that will hate me simply because of my brown skin. Without even knowing me and for no other reason. In this case, people target the LGBTQ community for who they choose to love and be with romantically/sexually. I will never understand why people care so much who someone else has sex with, religious or not. It affects their lives zero iota. I just have a hard time considering that to be a point of view. It just seems like bigotry plain and simple. But again, respect your opinion and would love to hear more about your perspective. 

I appreciate your tone toward me.  I’m not going to give my perspective, because it’s not relevant here.  I’m just calling it like I see it as the devil’s advocate:  The preacher said in one of the Tweets that they featured on the show that it is possible to love the sinner and hate the sin.  I am not taking up for him, I am just getting the record straight.  It is pretty mainstream for someone to be against homosexual activity, strictly speaking.  It’s not fringe.  It has nothing to do with race.  For a lot of people, it is a belief that they grew up with their entire life, from the Bible, Koran, and Talmud.

But I’d like to direct attention to another demographic:

There are a lot of secular people too, who may accept all lifestyles, but don’t choose to celebrate them.  They have gay people whom they love, but they do not overtly endorse the lifestyle.  And since they’re not obsessed, you almost never hear from these people.  Proposition eight would never have passed with 52.3% of the vote in California if there were not an overwhelming amount of  people who believed this way.  Perhaps many of these people changed their minds in the last seven years, but it’s doubtful all of them did.  Ignoring the rest of the country, there are millions of Californians who feel this way.  I’m not quite sure they are even close to being bigots.  I just don’t see the nexus.  

7 minutes ago, nytonc said:

My son is gay so I may be a little more sensitive on this issue. I agree that a person has a right to their own point of view. However when the TV show that pays you is a huge proponent of LGBTQ and your employer LVP  is a huge proponent of LGBTQ rights and some of your friends are LGBTQ and  your TV show has a large LGBTQ fan base,  then continuing to use that pastor or anyone who feels that way shows extremely poor judgement. I would expect nothing less than for these two twits to show poor judgement.  But, I would also expect that anyone who was uncomfortable with the pastor’s demand of excluding gay people would chose not attend the wedding. I know I certainly would not. 

I appreciate your tone too, and I agree if Brittney wanted to keep her job and her station in life, she made a really poor decision by hiring this pastor.  She could have just walked away from it all if this is what her conscience called for.  The fact that she couldn’t express a coherent thought about it either way buys her no favor with me.  

Did the pastor demand that they exclude gay people?  If he did or if he didn’t, if someone is that uncomfortable with his positions, they shouldn’t attend the wedding, and they should probably reexamine whether to continue to have Jax and Brittney as friends.  

I wouldn’t attend a wedding I didn’t support.  

But I think respecting the right of someone not to attend that wedding would have to go the other way, logically speaking, and extend to people who choose not to attend a gay wedding, because it is against their conscience.  

—————————————————————-

With all the fanfare surrounding this pastor, getting Lance Bass do the wedding is in extremely poor taste.  It’s such an obvious pander to the people in the gay community who are against the ideals of the original pastor, so condescending to the people who hold these beliefs dear.  Unless Jax and Brittney can articulate at length what caused them to change their minds, I would hope Lance Bass would think it’s beneath him to do this.  He’s obviously being used as a prop.  Although Lance Bass would attend the opening of an envelope.  This has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, but he’s a ridiculous fame whore.  

I loved the Disney princesses at the shower, because I’m a sucker for that kind thing.  Kristen and Lala looked so pretty.  Congratulations, Brittney, you got to keep your friends and your life, and you got the “moral high ground” in the form of Lala throwing gang signs at Sandoval, to boot.  I hope it was worth it to turn your nuptials into a circus.  

The only way for me to have had a shred of respect left for Jax and Brittney once this became a hot topic would have been if they’d broken every contract they’d signed and moved their wedding off the air to show that you don’t give a damn about their press.  Now I am convinced that’s the only thing they care about—more than they care about each other.  They’re gross, but what else is new about this show?  

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I appreciate your tone toward me.  I’m not going to give my perspective, because it’s not relevant here.  I’m just calling it like I see it as the devil’s advocate:  The preacher said in one of the Tweets that they featured on the show that it is possible to love the sinner and hate the sin.  I am not taking up for him, I am just getting the record straight.  It is pretty mainstream for someone to be against homosexual activity, strictly speaking.  It’s not fringe.  It has nothing to do with race.  For a lot of people, it is a belief that they grew up with their entire life, from the Bible, Koran, and Talmud.

But I’d like to direct attention to another demographic:

There are a lot of secular people too, who may accept all lifestyles, but don’t choose to celebrate them.  They have gay people whom they love, but they do not overtly endorse the lifestyle.  And since they’re not obsessed, you almost never hear from these people.  Proposition eight would never have passed with 52.3% of the vote in California if there were not an overwhelming amount of  people who believed this way.  Perhaps many of these people changed their minds in the last seven years, but it’s doubtful all of them did.  Ignoring the rest of the country, there are millions of Californians who feel this way.  I’m not quite sure they are even close to being bigots.  I just don’t see the nexus.  

I appreciate your response as well! I used race as an example simply because it's a prejudice that I have experienced unlike discrimination and/or bias/prejudice due to sexual orientation. I equate the two because I don't believe someone chooses their sexual preference just like I didn't choose my skin color.  

I also appreciated your discussion on people who are not overtly homophobic but still do not support same sex relationships. However, this makes me question their implicit biases and it still raises the same question to me: Why do they care who someone else chooses to marry? I as a straight, cis gender self-identified female could not possibly care less. It's not my business. 

Going back to these crazy people, I've always felt that many of them were all talk and no action in terms of allegiance to LGBTQ rights. With some of the offensive things they have said over the years--I'm looking at you Jax and Stassi--this episode saddens me but doesn't surprise me. 

• Love 15
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Because Buzzfeed and people on social media finally decided to call Jax, Brittany, LVP,  and Bravo on their hypocrisy and the fervor broke right as Vanderpump Rules was filming the Pride episodes. People brought up the pastor and Jax and Brittany's initial response was "Wayll, we talked to him and he won't say nuthin' 'bout no gay people at the weddin'." Then the cast was spotted filming for Pride and it really pissed people off. Jax had spent the better part of a year trying to out James. Billie Lee quit the show at the beginning of filming season 8, but Jax continued to harass her and her trans friends all over social media. Brittany's homophobic mother posted on social media pictures of Brittany's eleventy million bridal/wedding celebrations and there was that pastor and his family present for many of them. I think people had enough of these hypocrites and threatened to stop watching.

I have stopped watching, but I do still like Ariana and Sandoval and don't mind Dayna and Kristen. I know James has barely been on. Everyone else annoys me or I completely loathe. I vowed last year to not watch the Pride episode(s) because of the massive amount of shabby allies on this show.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/this-pastor-who-has-made-transphobic-and-racist-remarks

Well white trash Brittany reared her ugly head tonight. This is not how a princess behaves dear. She and Jax deserve each other.  They don't have half a brain between the two of them. Did everyone not know they're getting married in (insert time frame- 6 months, 2 weeks) I don't know why everyone, well almost everyone, bows down to this bitch. Good on Sandoval and Ariana for calling them out on their bullshit. 

• Love 23
26 minutes ago, Pop Tart said:

Yeah they all knew and were so bothered but Sandoval HAS QUESTIONS he has to ask at Peter’s party after they’ve already dumped the pastor. Why not ask his questions months ago? He’s so troubled and yet has to wait until Lisa has made a pronouncement? Or was it that he had to wait until they were filming?

Ding Ding.

Warren Beatty says something in the movie Truth or Dare that's very true to the performative way that a lot of reality stars seem to live: "She doesn't want to live off-camera, much less talk. There's nothing to say off-camera. Why would you say something if it's off-camera? What point is there existing?"

Why would Sandoval ask his questions in a private setting during the non-filming months?  That would just mean that fewer people would know about it and no one would get to see him doing it and he might not get all the credit he wants for it.

Edited by Steph J
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20

It doesn’t matter what kind of goofy, mocking, high pitched voice you use to repeat him asking “Why did it take Lisa Vanderpump asking for you to fire the pastor?”, he was right-it did take Lisa Vanderpump asking for them to fire the pastor.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
58 minutes ago, princelina said:

In the case of an actual Christian pastor, it is that gay marriage is unbiblical and that pastor should not be marrying people who are not of the opposite sex.  However, so is driving to Vegas to sleep with a stranger you saw on tv, following him to move in with him in California, being involved with various sexual shenanigans and near constant drunkenness, and even, as a "Christian woman", marrying a non-Christian like Jax.  If this was her actual pastor from growing up, he should have been having off-camera talks with her about that, rather than agreeing to perform her wedding to this guy on tv.  Peace to all 🙂 

Brittany? Inconsistent? 😯🤣

And yes to the whole matter of who, specifically, she’s choosing to marry. I have Christian friends who “technically” know (per their beliefs) they should have married another Christian—who married men who are not Christian in their beliefs but are moral, good, kind guys who love them, and you get why they are together. 

But JAX? That’s not some guy who has one too many on occasion, or swears a little too often. It’s JAX. She doesn’t seem to care about much more than being Brittany Who Locked Down the Guy on Vanderpump Rules. 

Edited by ivygirl
Trying to be clear that I don’t want to imply that only Christians make good marriage partners
  • Love 7

“ I hope Jax knocks him the fuck out!” I AM A PRETTY PRINCESS!! How dare anyone point out that it was only when the Producer of the show that made us D-List celebrities took issue with our homophobic pastor did we address the problem. I get that Jax is far too stupid and self involved to care about anything remotely not related to himself, but Brittany’s true colors really shine at times. You can both go fuck yourselves.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

This Dayna/Max thing is ridiculous. He “just happens” to want to date someone who “just happens” to turn up on the TV show he’s on... a show that largely centers on the relationship drama of the cast. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhht.

• Love 10

I think Raquel is a moron but her relationship  with James is so terrifyingly toxic that it’s even more uncomfortable to watch their scenes. Watching their relationship after this season of Below Deck and it’s misogyny it’s an additional layer of horrifying that they are playing this emotionally abusive relationship for entertainment. Yes, I know that this show has a history of crazy unhealthy relationships but it just further proof that the rot is all throughout the network. And yes I realize I am part of the problem watching it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 15

If you associate with trash (in this case, that pastor and his homophobic attitude), the stink is on you, too. Full stop. I don't care if it took six months or two weeks or if it was because LVP or Buzzfeed brought it up: Jax and Brittany look like the fucking fools they are and I appreciate that.

I don't know if there's a category for Excellence in Editing A Supposedly Unscripted Reality at the Emmy Awards but if there is, I would like to submit this show in all possible nomination spots. For the pastor's social media posts (with bonus highlighter so you know exactly what can't be misconstrued), for the "I'm freezing my eggs!"/"He's my best friend!"/"I don't want to date him!" Scheana flashback packages, for "I get uncomfortable with strippers."/Jax merrily being the motor to the stripper's boob boat package, and for the 18 seconds earlier rollback during the Kristen/Lala spat. 

giphy.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I’m ready for Jax and Brittanys weeding to be over. They were freaking out so much about Sandoval and his question which made them seem too defensive. Just answer the question normally you are on a reality show guys.

It seems like Ariana and Tom have like no furniture in their house. Their bed was on the floor. 

The exchange about Jaxs wedding song made me laugh.

Brittany cries too much about her wedding. Calm the fuck down. Also this pastor is a family friend apparently so I’m sure he’s always had those kind of views and Brittany has always know about them.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, Marley said:

They were freaking out so much about Sandoval and his question which made them seem too defensive. Just answer the question normally you are in a reality show guys.

I don’t like any of these assholes but if Sandoval had known for months and been bothered why did he only bring it up when it was already dealt with? It’s not about some deep need on his part for right or wrong because he would have addressed it earlier which apparently Ariane did but than dropped it until cameras arrived. 
Jax and Brittany are shitty for not seeing the issue when it was first raised but waiting to say literally anything until Lance Bass was officiating their wedding came across as jealousy on Sandoval’s part. 
The biggest shithead was Jax because he didn’t actually listen to why Brittany was upset which is about people mocking her childish Princess shower (don’t have a childish theme and post about it if you don’t want to be mocked, Brittany). He than escalated the incident by acting like it was about the Pastor and Sandoval. And Sandoval legit couldn’t answer a Brittany when she said what more did he want her to do and could only say “I was just asking questions”.

I am totally fine with Jax and Brittany being raked over the coals in front of the cameras but I am not giving Sandoval any praise for keeping his mouth shut until the actual controversy had passed.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Lady of nod said:

Well white trash Brittany reared her ugly head tonight. This is not how a princess behaves dear. She and Jax deserve each other.  They don't have half a brain between the two of them.

She is the worst. I think I dislike her more than anyone on the show, with the exception of the British Wanker WHO RAPED LALA. I don't care how she tries to rebrand herself as a southern belle who tamed the dumbest manwhore in the Northern hemisphere, to me she will always be the one who was a Sandy Hook Truther until she scrubbed her Twitter. You don't come back from that in my book. I agree that there is no way she wasn't aware of his beliefs. That pastor was not living quietly. I'm amazed that she didn't think it would be a problem on a show like this which tries to project an image of support to the LGBTQ community. I mean, I expect Jax to be too stupid to grasp how it would look but Brittany? I thought she was slightly more aware. Slightly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:07 PM, OnceSane said:

"It's Not About the Pastor". Stassi, Katie, and Lala throw Brittany a princess-themed bridal shower, while James gets disinvited from Peter’s birthday party. Lisa Vanderpump takes Raquel to task for walking out on her shift during Pride, and Dayna and Max decide to take the next step in their relationship. Finally, when a scandal erupts concerning Jax and Brittany’s pastor, Sandoval and Ariana take a moral stance that threatens to tear the bridal parties apart and ruin their friendships forever.

I had to make an emergency appointment with my ophthalmologist for this morning after all the pearl-clutching and moral exhibitionism I witnessed in this ep.

Edited by Ubiquitous
Clarified.
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1