Type keyword(s) to search

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

The best part for me is having Adam look totally different from his jacked up alter ego.  I never understood how no one in the original 80's cartoon ever saw that Prince Adam with that god-awful bowl cut was just He-Man with tight clothing. 

The 2002 reboot addressed this.  They had an Adam form and a separate He-man form when he changed.  In Filmation's defense, it was probably a cost saver to keep Adam looking virtually identical to his He-Man self.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

The 2002 reboot addressed this.  They had an Adam form and a separate He-man form when he changed.  In Filmation's defense, it was probably a cost saver to keep Adam looking virtually identical to his He-Man self.

Filmation wasn't the reason why they looked  the same, it was Mattel using the same molds to produce the figures. The show was created to sell the toys. There is a decent documentary about MotU on Netflix that shows how they came up with the whole thing. A whole bunch of figures use the same body, just coloured differently - Beast Man and Moss Man for example and iirc the original He Man, Sceletor and Man At Arms figures also had the same body with different heads and colours. As were Teela and Evil-Lynn.

The team at Mattel also didn't have any budget left to do a mold for a companion when they initially designed the ffigure, so they just took a cat figure from another set that was not in scale with the He Man figures, painted it green with yellow stripes, and voila: Cringer/Battle Cat

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 4

I would have loved Tara Strong or  Grey DeLisle to voice Teela, and the animation wasn't amazing, but I honestly loved the show. 

I actually understood Teela's rage. I think a lot of it was guilt, abandonment, and PTSD.

• She saw her closest friend sacrifice himself in front of her eyes. Worse, it was not a big strong hero but a scared young boy looking back at her. He was so young, so utterly helpless to do anything but be blasted with the full force of magic to bits, to save humanity. And she could do nothing for him. 
  • She saw her Prince die in front of her. First day as Man-At-Arms, and the kingdom's future dies next to her. Prince Adam isn't just her closest friend. He is her charge, he is the future King, he is the stability of Eternia. Now, Eternia has no heir, and she is an utter failure in every sense of the word. 
  • She has abandonment issues. She describes herself as the "orphan girl." Being lied to likely brought it all back up again. She felt like she wasn't trusted by said friend, but can't ever get closure on why 
  • She thinks of every time she mocked Prince Adam, and how wrong she had been. 
  • Her father lied to her, and didn't ask Adam to let her in. Didn't he trust her? 

That's a lot for someone to take. 

Also, was Randor a bit of a jerk? Sure, but Adam cultivated the image of a coward who ran away from battle (so that He-Man could appear) and so must have come across as a rather poor example of royalty. You can see how deeply he loved his son, and yes, exploding with rage was his own self-hatred for every harsh word said to his son, whose "cowardice" all makes sense. 

Skeletor was too Joker, but actually got the menace of the Joker and the planning along with it, so I'll let it go. Cersei-Lyn was a bit much, but again, worked. 

I felt removing He-Man was the only way to break out of "Monster of the Week" format since He-Man is unstoppable and therefore, the stakes don't feel high. It's the Superman issue, how do you create tension when the protagonist is unbeatable? 

Was it "woke"? No.  Having a female protagonist shouldn't be a social justice talking point, anymore than a male one. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Agree with most here but a couple of things to reiterate:

• Didn't love SMG as Teela (and I'm a huge Buffy fan). I think it was the voice didn't fit and to me, being a voice actor requires a special skill. It's not always transferable from "real" acting. SMG is a master of facial acting, but not voice acting.
  • Orko and Evil-Lyn was a great dynamic although I don't get why she went with him to his vision place.
  • Yes Mark Hamill is wonderful, but Skeletor sounded like a less insane Joker to me. Good, but not different. 
  • As a huge fan of the original and who had all the toys (I still miss my Snake Mountain playset), I wasn't bothered by the story trajectory. Overall, I think it was a bit meh, but I'll watch the second half for sure.

One question hopefully someone can answer - who was the fourth person at Snake Mountain with Tri-Clops, Whiplash and Trap Jaw? The grey guy. I feel I should know but I can't remember him. I don't think he spoke.

Edited by xander874
I forgot Whiplash!
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, xander874 said:

One question hopefully someone can answer - who was the third person at Snake Mountain with Tri-Clops and Trap Jaw? I feel I should know but I can't remember him. I don't think he spoke.

The one with the tail? They said it was Whiplash.

• Love 1
(edited)

I... think I like this okay. Far from perfect, but as far as reboots go, it's not infuriating. Some thoughts...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like SMG as Teela. SMG's voice is way too girlish, and just doesn't fit ripped, perpetually scowling Teela. I think I actually prefer the voice actress from the 80s cartoon. And, I'm sorry, but can we please abolish the trope of "You were so n' so all along?! YOU LIED TO ME?!!?!??!" For crap's sake, Teela, Adam couldn't tell you he was He-Man! And he friggin' died to save Eternia, and you're still going to hold that against him? Really? A heroic sacrifice isn't enough to make you forgive someone for withholding one lousy piece of information from you? I get being a little miffed, but a little perspective would be nice! Is it really worth going all Lena Luthor over this?

Speaking of Supergirl, I didn't like Chris Wood's stint as Mon-El because I found him vaguely punchable and uncharismatic, but he was actually decent as Prince Adam. I also like Adam's slightly updated version of his old outfit (it certainly looks more dignified). 

Even if the second installment goes pear-shaped, I still find Evil-Lyn's redemption arc a hell of a lot more believable than Catra's (yes, I'm still grumbling over that).

Wow, Orko is sympathetic and useful?! I'm overwhelmed!

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Even if the second installment goes pear-shaped, I still find Evil-Lyn's redemption arc a hell of a lot more believable than Catra's (yes, I'm still grumbling over that)

This! It had me actually like Evil-Lynn, even though I was 200 percent not surprised she went back with Skeltor.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

This! It had me actually like Evil-Lynn, even though I was 200 percent not surprised she went back with Skeltor.

Mr. Fitch and I just had a friendly debate on whether or not Evil-Lynn was actually going to have a redemption arc. He's leaning towards no, that she's just a pragmatist who made a call. It sure felt like they were going to have her do a heel-face turn to me.

In any case, she ain't Catra, so I'm happy so far.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The one with the tail? They said it was Whiplash.

Sorry, there was another guy inside with them. I forgot about Whiplash but this was some grey dude. I'll update my original post to clarify.

1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

And, I'm sorry, but can we please abolish the trope of "You were so n' so all along?! YOU LIED TO ME?!!?!??!" For crap's sake, Teela, Adam couldn't tell you he was He-Man! And he friggin' died to save Eternia, and you're still going to hold that against him? Really? A heroic sacrifice isn't enough to make you forgive someone for withholding one lousy piece of information from you? I get being a little miffed, but a little perspective would be nice! Is it really worth going all Lena Luthor over this?

It would have made more sense if she left the kingdom because she was disgusted with the way the king lashed out at and banished her dad, as if he wasn't the one that treated Adam like crap. I mean, it's okay to be a little upset over the secret but she took it way too far. But maybe Adam's near-death experience in the next part--come on you guys, we know it's too soon for him to be killed off AGAIN--might wake her up and realize that she took it way too far.

• Love 5

Well, this was boring and annoying.

Only Highlights were Evil-Lyn and Orko and especially both together.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

People on social media are already bitching about how He-Man got sidelined in his own show by Teela. Haven’t watched it yet, but can anyone confirm or deny?

It's not his show though. He's not in the title.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:41 PM, cambridgeguy said:

She would if she could just stop herself from cutting people off when they say they have to tell her something.

word

On 7/26/2021 at 5:08 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

And, I'm sorry, but can we please abolish the trope of "You were so n' so all along?! YOU LIED TO ME?!!?!??!" For crap's sake, Teela, Adam couldn't tell you he was He-Man! And he friggin' died to save Eternia, and you're still going to hold that against him? Really? A heroic sacrifice isn't enough to make you forgive someone for withholding one lousy piece of information from you? I get being a little miffed, but a little perspective would be nice! Is it really worth going all Lena Luthor over this?

Oh god, yes please!

It really doesn't further your feminist agenda (and there seems to pretty clearly be one [not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that]) when you make women irrationally angry in inappropriate situations. Of course she would feel somewhat betrayed. But her best friend just died. Would she really go off on his parents like that? If so she is just a horrible person. Plain and simple. Maybe they should just try writing interesting and realistic women next time.

On 7/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I'm 99% sure it is a ruse.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, Zonk said:

Well, this was boring and annoying.

Only Highlights were Evil-Lyn and Orko and especially both together.

It's not his show though. He's not in the title.

word

Oh god, yes please!

It really doesn't further your feminist agenda (and there seems to pretty clearly be one [not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that]) when you make women irrationally angry in inappropriate situations. Of course she would feel somewhat betrayed. But her best friend just died. Would she really go off on his parents like that? If so she is just a horrible person. Plain and simple. Maybe they should just try writing interesting and realistic women next time.

I'm 99% sure it is a ruse.

Isn't the point of a character arc is they start out a very flawed person who has to go through a journey to be better? Teela from the old cartoon was always kind of angry and she treated Adam poorly. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

Isn't the point of a character arc is they start out a very flawed person who has to go through a journey to be better? Teela from the old cartoon was always kind of angry and she treated Adam poorly. 

I don't remember her as being angry but, I do remember her treating Adam poorly. I guess it was the ultimate 80s Superman vs Clark Kent thing, with Teela as Lois Lane.

Ironically there's a lot I forgot about Eternia and He-Man, I totally do not remember them having technology. I remember magic and swords and I remember Man-E-Faces and Lockjaw and even the dude with the Eye but, I was actually shocked to see technology in Eternia. Wait, they have lasers? They have robots and motherboards WTF? 😂

• Love 2
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Sure, flawed, but not a horrible human being without an ounce of empathy. Their son just died. Who would make that moment all about their hurt feelings?
Super villains who killed hundreds of people don't have as many flaws or flaws as big to overcome as her.

• Love 2
On 7/25/2021 at 4:34 PM, dungeonwriter said:

I would have loved Tara Strong or  Grey DeLisle to voice Teela, and the animation wasn't amazing, but I honestly loved the show. 

I actually understood Teela's rage. I think a lot of it was guilt, abandonment, and PTSD.

• She saw her closest friend sacrifice himself in front of her eyes. Worse, it was not a big strong hero but a scared young boy looking back at her. He was so young, so utterly helpless to do anything but be blasted with the full force of magic to bits, to save humanity. And she could do nothing for him. 
  • She saw her Prince die in front of her. First day as Man-At-Arms, and the kingdom's future dies next to her. Prince Adam isn't just her closest friend. He is her charge, he is the future King, he is the stability of Eternia. Now, Eternia has no heir, and she is an utter failure in every sense of the word. 
  • She has abandonment issues. She describes herself as the "orphan girl." Being lied to likely brought it all back up again. She felt like she wasn't trusted by said friend, but can't ever get closure on why 
  • She thinks of every time she mocked Prince Adam, and how wrong she had been. 
  • Her father lied to her, and didn't ask Adam to let her in. Didn't he trust her? 

That's a lot for someone to take. 

Thank you for articulating that better than the show itself, IMO. I think I would have liked the show more if it had done more to portray that Teela was acting from an inability to process these complex emotions. Like if she were haunted by flashback's of Adam's actual death, or if she had flashbacks to all the times she undercut Adam, or if she expressed concern about the future of Eternia until Andra got her to go on the quest of the show., or if she expressed regret about her mistreatment, or if she were actually willing to listen to anybody about why they didn't let her in on He-Man's secret identity. 

Instead, it portrayed her as having righteousness for essentially abandoning Eternia in its greatest hour of need. He-Man is gone, but numerous threats remain. So what does she as Eternia's second-strongest protector do? Throw a Lana Lang-style fit about secrets and lies and goes on her own way, letting the people of her kingdom to fend for themselves. The show (it seems to me, anyway) wants us to think of this as a positive step by Teela. But for me, it's clearly not. 

My problem is that the character is also a hero in her own right and one who has as one of her defining characteristics loyalty. It seems completely against the nature of the character in general, let alone a version with abandonment issues, to then go and abandon others over this.

Now it may be in Part Two of Season One, she will have a continuing arc of growing and the titular revelation. I didn't watch a ton of the original cartoon, but figured that part of the revelation is that she's the Sorceress's daughter and she has untapped magical potential. But for now, I am finding myself seeing some validity to the critics' point of view, which makes me feel uncomfortable. 

On 7/24/2021 at 2:08 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

Yeah, it was pretty telling to me that a) He-Man wasn’t in the title of the show and b) a lot of the promo pics focused of the women characters. Personally I don’t get why people are up in arms about this; I get that He-Man was a nostalgic trip for many of us 80s/90s kids, but it wasn’t exactly a masterpiece back then. Shit, the recent Sheera updated series Netflix did was changed quite a bit from the original, and was probably 10x more “woke” then MoTU has been so far, and it was great. Waaaay better then the original. I’m okay with them not making a direct remake of the campy, fairly crappy original. 

I generally understand the criticisms of supposedly "woke" TV and reject them as the BS they are.

Sorry if this comes off as mansplaining wokeness or complaints about it, but basically, the theory goes that Hollywood is pushing a liberal agenda wherein women are given all the positive characteristics like strength, intelligence, humor to an extreme degree, while male characters are sidelined, sapped of traditionally "masculine" characteristics and have to play second fiddle to the women. Even though at least some of what the women do could and probably should be thought of as problematic, the story praises what the women do uncritically. Even though at least some of the women do doesn't make sense, the creators bend the plot to make feminist statements. And there's general attack on the notion that women have certain personality traits and men have others and never shall the twain meet, that there is an undue emphasis on gay/bi characters and the notion that there might be more than two genders. 

Again, I personally reject all of that and watch a number of shows that regularly get criticized for being too woke -- Batwoman, Supergirl, Star Trek Discovery among them.

But some of the reason people are up in arms about this is because they feel like this cartoon fits in a longstanding pattern of Hollywood wokeness. 

And I can actually see some of their point in this particular instance.

Teela takes center stage from a character literally called He-Man and takes the title Man-At-Arms, then immediately abandons it. Her flaws are portrayed as strengths. Most of the characters that are the focus of the show are women. The male characters are largely sidelined, sidekicks or the like.

A quick sampling:

Man-at-Arms: He does get to kick ass in a fight. But he basically takes orders from Teela and never has the "Calm the hell down about not knowing Adam's identity" conversation or the "How dare you walk away from Eternia? Didn't I raise you better than that?" conversation with her. 

Orko: Admittedly, he has been traditionally depicted as ineffectual and he got a moment to shine. But still, he doesn't embody traditional masculinity.

Beast-Man: Again, as in the original he is a powerful lackey, but not much more.

Mer-Man: Despite having numbers and home field advantage, he soon gets captured and forced to do Teela's bidding.

The various bad guys (Triclops/Trap-Jaw, Whiplash, Stinkor etc.): Easily beaten villains by Teela and Andra despite the relative differential in size, resources and power. 

Are any of the male characters depicted as Teela's equal (other than Adam/He-Man) in the way that the show portrays and respects Andra and Evil-Lyn as Teela's equal? I would say no. 

Speaking of Andra, I could see people being uncomfortable with the notion that Teela and Andra have a romance going on. I am personally cool if they are just close friends, or dating or anywhere else (other than I don't think it's nice of the writers to ship-tease if that's what they are doing). And I am fine with homophobes getting upset about such things. But I understand where that might come from. 

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Speaking of Andra, I could see people being uncomfortable with the notion that Teela and Andra have a romance going on.

I know that's one of the bitching on YouTube but, I didn't see it at all. Are they supposed to be a couple?

Because all I got from this show was that Teela loved Adam as her best friend and had a major crush on He-Man. Andra seemed to fit more in the little sister category. In fact, I kind of felt that Teela replaced Adam with Andra as the friend who she needs to protect because they're weaker. 

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Are any of the male characters depicted as Teela's equal (other than Adam/He-Man) in the way that the show portrays and respects Andra and Evil-Lyn as Teela's equal? I would say no. 

I watched the show and I don't think any of that occurred to me. I just chalked it up to the hero always beats the villain and, in this case the hero was female. 

When I look back I see Adam/He-Man having the big hero moment in episode 1. Orco saved them all from the Demon, Roboto had the big hero/sacrifice to re-forge the Sword. Adam made the heroic decision to not only be Adam in Heaven but, to go back to Eternia knowing if/when he died again he'd be locked out of Heaven.

Honestly the most memorable parts and heroic characters were male, IMO

• Love 4

I just finished watching my second time through and the commentary videos. I liked it better the second time around. My highlights are:

1. So many puns. I think I missed about 50% of them the first time around. I love a good pun. The common phrase, I think, is the pun is the lowest from of comedy. I disagree. I think you have to be super clever to write a good pun.

2. The music is really good. Even the opening sequence with the dark, gutteral male chorus is super powerful.

3. The animation style is really good. The fight scenes have unique perspectives. There are some really cool tricks with weaponry. The style reminds me alot of Aeon Flux especially episode 2 with the techno cult. When the little girl turns around and has this maniacal look on her face, I definitely saw the influence.

I'm glad I watched it again.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2021 at 11:02 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

I know that's one of the bitching on YouTube but, I didn't see it at all. Are they supposed to be a couple?

People see what they want to see, especially when it comes to shipping.  Teela disowns everyone she used to know and becomes a bitter mercenary but is besties with Andra?  Well, obviously there must be romantic feelings there!  Teela is pissed about Adam keeping the big He-Man secret?  It's really because she's in love with the guy - no way she blows her top like that if he was just a friend.  And so forth.

34 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Teela is pissed about Adam keeping the big He-Man secret?  It's really because she's in love with the guy - no way she blows her top like that if he was just a friend.  And so forth.

Didn't the show actually state that? I distinctly remember Evil-Lynn saying Teela was crushing on He-Man

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Didn't the show actually state that? I distinctly remember Evil-Lynn saying Teela was crushing on He-Man

A perfect example of what I was talking about.  She said it because Teela had just mocked her for carrying a torch for Skeletor.

Pro-shipping - You see, it has to be true since Teela didn't deny it.

Anti-shipping - Come on, Evil-Lynn wasn't going to take an insult without throwing one back and Teela didn't feel the need to respond to such a childish retort.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

perfect example of what I was talking about.  She said it because Teela had just mocked her for carrying a torch for Skeletor.

Pro-shipping - You see, it has to be true since Teela didn't deny it.

Except I don't ship it? I'm not over here going OMG Teela/He-Man OTP! 😍 I  don't ship anyone on the show.

This is what the show stated out right, I didn't read into it, I didn't follow the subtext. I'm simply going by what the show told me.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I hope the show can inject more variety into the rhythm of the fight scenes. Too often one side got worked until defeat is imminent and then they got saved because someone tagged in, wrestling-style, to save the day. This was true for both the bad guys and good guys. It might even have happened twice in one fight scene, not sure.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:23 AM, Zonk said:

Sure, flawed, but not a horrible human being without an ounce of empathy. Their son just died. Who would make that moment all about their hurt feelings?
Super villains who killed hundreds of people don't have as many flaws or flaws as big to overcome as her.

Lashing out as a grief response is certainly much worse than mass-murder, I agree. /s

I really enjoyed the show, and don't think the narrative was portraying Teela's leaving as justified - Cringer essentially gave her a talking to in the second episode about it. People deal with their grief in different ways, and often not all that well. That's "realistic".

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

DAFUQ?

I didn't know there was another He-Man series in the making for Netflix. 
I thought they went overboard with the muscle mass on He-Man in Revelation, but this new version is just riddiculous 😂. Looks very far removed from the original material and will probably upset a lot of 80s kids. Doesn't look like my cup of tea, but its clearly for a new audience and if the youngsters of today like it, fine by me.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That looks awful but, I don't think I'm the target audience

That looks HORRIBLE. Even though I sort of watched the original as a kid, but wasn’t really a fan, this looks beyond awful. It’s not even animated but CGI or whatever the term is.

• Love 1

FBghKz6WYBAIiVz.jpeg

Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 2 premieres November 23, 2021 on Netflix. This will be a 5 half-hour episode drop.

Synopsis: The war for Eternia continues in the second part of "Masters of the Universe: Revelation," an innovative and action-packed animated series that picks up where the iconic characters left off. With Skeletor now wielding the Sword of Power, the weary heroes of Eternia must band together to fight back against the forces of evil in a thrilling and epic conclusion to the two-part series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Not sure if we can talk about the trailer or if its spoilery. It looks great and hopefully it shuts the Internet up...they all lie so badly to stick to their narrative.

so Teela becomes the New Sorceress taking over for her mom...what happened to the old Sorceress?

• Love 1

Binged it all in one night. Overall, it was entertaining. Everything got wrapped up in a nice little knot while leaving the door open for a sequel.

Gonna spoiler-tag it since it’s the first day:

Spoiler

Even when he had all the power, Skeletor was still a boob, so of course Evil-Lynn stole the sword and became the big bad. Had to laugh when he very reluctantly teamed up with Adam/He-Man, but I knew it wouldn’t last. 

I’m annoyed that even after basically blowing up heaven, Evil-Lynn STILL got a redemption arc?! Ugh. That would be like giving THANOS another chance! mean Teela and He-Man undid the damage at the end and I guess it wasn’t as bad as the Catra mess but still! 

Edited by Spartan Girl
7 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Actual line said with complete sincerity - I'd sure like to fist him! 

I think this would have gotten a much better reception if it had been released all at once rather than split. 

Gold, Jerry.  Gold!  

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of Volume 2 so far.

• Love 1

Up to the second episode of part two and big huuuge yawn! All Skeletor is doing is 

image.gif.366d7f4fc32133f5e0a85771e3380e87.gif

And I’m SUPREMELY PISSED we lost Susan Eisenberg Sorceress!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Oh Goody! Hulk-He-Man!🙄🙄🙄

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well that was disappointing.

I’m only familiar with the 80s cartoon. But this? Only see He-Man in the first and last episodes only? This just ended up being Teela’s story. Which, whatever. 

And I know this will be unpopular, but JEEBUS CRIPES! Must even the cartoons throw in subplots of MeToo? Like I give any bluedilly fucks about what Skeletor’s relationship was with Evil-Lyn. Let’s throw in abuse and bullying.

And don’t get me started on the dialogue from Queen Marlena as coming off as anachronistic.

”As if!”?!! What? Is she now in 1995’s Clueless?🙄🙄 And while everyone is saying “Your Majesty” “My Liege”, We’ve got Adam calling his parents [l]”Mom”[/i] and ”Dad”, instead of Mother and Father. It’s such a mishmash that the show or writers can’t make up their minds of this world is contemporary or going by how royalty addresses parents. 

And Sarah Michelle Gellar was still miscast as Teela. I was taken out each time she opened her mouth.  Again with the “Mom” instead of “Mother”.

Yeah, yeah, I’m an anal retentive wench.

At least we I got Wonder Woman/Diana Ghost Sorceress! Susan Eisenberg does regal so well.

What? Whaaat?

Best thing was getting Orko back.

I think I’ll just go and rewatch Bruce Tim’s Justice League.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I know this will be unpopular, but JEEBUS CRIPES! Must even the cartoons throw in subplots of MeToo? Like I give any bluedilly fucks about what Skeletor’s relationship was with Evil-Lyn. Let’s throw in abuse and bullying.

Yup, I agree. Just let Evil-Lynn be fabulously evil! You’ve got Lena-freaking-Headley voicing her, you don’t need to give her a freaking sob story! 🙄

I also agree about how dumb it was to make Marlena talk like a teenager. Like WTF was that about? To show how much more laid back she was than her husband???! Whatever.

So…Was Sorceress Tesla’s mom in the original show too? I have to ask.

40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I have no idea. The 80s carton was so…simple. He-Man and his champions/comrades good. Skeletor and his minions bad. I don’t remember development of relationships.

44 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I believe it was very strongly hinted at that Sorceress was Teela's mum in the original, but don't trust my memory I can't remember any citizen of Eternia being humanoid animals as depicted in this show. I honestly thought everyone was a human except for when they needed to a new toy to sell and made someone up for an episode.

47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Yup, I agree. Just let Evil-Lynn be fabulously evil! You’ve got Lena-freaking-Headley voicing her, you don’t need to give her a freaking sob story! 🙄

This is my current issue with a lot of content connected to animation of yesteryear (looking at you Disney with this mini-rant). Evil characters are not allowed to just be evil, they seem to need to have a sob story to justify being mean to the protagonist in the original story. I know in throety it's meant to provide depth to the current but all it doe is make me roll my eyes at the effort gone to it. It is OK to jsut hate the bad guy, I don't need to sympathise with them it takes away from that whole good vs bad. And I know Rowling is a taboo subject but at least she had the guts when explaining Voldemort's past to still made him unlikeable as he chose the bad path, therefore any sympathy we may have had for him as a child disappears because of his choices.

Back to show, by the end of these 5 episodes I couldn't help wonder why did Adam not become all God-like when he accessed the Power of Grayskull like Skeletor and Evi-Lynn did? That was a tad confusing from a 'explaining the mythos' point of view.

The first two episodes were a struggle to get through, so much talking from Skeletor about I don't know what. The final 3 episodes were much more engaging and so happy that Orko returned and stayed.

And look while I do understand what they were going for, I do think overall they took the world of He-Man a little too serious f0r a series based on an 80s property designed to flog toys every week to kiddies. After 10 episodes it just got a litte too pretentious for my liking. I'd love to see some sort of middle ground between this and the CGI Netflix series.

And I still cannot believe the fisting line made it to air. I'm still chuckling about that one.

• Love 3