Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: The Sleepover

• Start Topic

Danny is 12 and he's never done a sleepover?  I seem to recall most kids sleeping over with friends starting in first or second grade.  Presuming this is a kid's sleepover and not the adult kind, for which he is kinda young, IMO, no matter how accepting of his sexuality his family might be. 

It seems weird that the show has Danny, at age 12, exploring romantic relationships and Theo, just 2 years younger behaves like he's barely out of preschool.  The writers for this show really musn't have any kids.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Danny is 12 and he's never done a sleepover?  I seem to recall most kids sleeping over with friends starting in first or second grade.  Presuming this is a kid's sleepover and not the adult kind, for which he is kinda young, IMO, no matter how accepting of his sexuality his family might be. 

It seems weird that the show has Danny, at age 12, exploring romantic relationships and Theo, just 2 years younger behaves like he's barely out of preschool.  The writers for this show really musn't have any kids.

Theo and his parents do “cuddles” every night?  Isn ‘t 10 a bit old for nightly cuddle time? 
Sophie is back in with mom. Now it’s Eddies turn to squirm facing Theo’s rejection. 

if I were Katherine I’d probably have the same reaction Theo did watching Dakota and Eddie “working” together. I’m finding it a bit hard to believe she’s so forgiving of and at ease forgetting  the mess Eddie dumped in her lap. Nice of Eddie to share the wedding vows he broke with Theo. 
When Katherine was telling Edie about how she no longer thinks about Jon every day, I thought she was going to reveal that she had an affair with him. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 11
41 minutes ago, iwasish said:

I’m finding it a bit hard to believe she’s so forgiving of and at ease forgetting  the mess Eddie dumped in her lap.

I don't think she is. She even told Eddie that there was no use for him to stop working with Dakota because there'd always be another Dakota. I think Katherine is still working through her issues with the cheating, but is trying to genuinely give Eddie a chance. Plus, I appreciate that she doesn't just look like she's totally over it. She has a look from time to time when the affair gets brought up and she's clearly still uncomfortable with it.

I appreciate that we're seeing more of Theo's reaction toward the affair. I'm glad that we have Theo knowing more than he lets on. And, once again, Eddie has to earn forgiveness while Delilah gets it handed to her on a silver platter. See: Sophie having Delilah's dad talk about Jon not being perfect to get her to move back home (more on that in a minute) while Eddie actually has to TALK to his kid and get him to listen. 

Now, with Sophie, at least it looks like she's not totally over things. Sneaking weed into the house and Delilah had no idea? LOL. I'm not surprised that Delilah didn't notice at ALL. That seems to be her forte. 

Gary/Maggie's awkwardness with each other? Meh. They're getting back together eventually. It's just a question on when. 

Regina/Rome with Eve? Meh. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I don't really care. It's well acted, for the most part, but I can't say that I think that this will end well. I'm sure Eve will give birth and then decide to keep the baby, to raise them to be better or whatever.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think she is. She even told Eddie that there was no use for him to stop working with Dakota because there'd always be another Dakota. I think Katherine is still working through her issues with the cheating, but is trying to genuinely give Eddie a chance. Plus, I appreciate that she doesn't just look like she's totally over it. She has a look from time to time when the affair gets brought up and she's clearly still uncomfortable with it.

I appreciate that we're seeing more of Theo's reaction toward the affair. I'm glad that we have Theo knowing more than he lets on. And, once again, Eddie has to earn forgiveness while Delilah gets it handed to her on a silver platter. See: Sophie having Delilah's dad talk about Jon not being perfect to get her to move back home (more on that in a minute) while Eddie actually has to TALK to his kid and get him to listen. 

Now, with Sophie, at least it looks like she's not totally over things. Sneaking weed into the house and Delilah had no idea? LOL. I'm not surprised that Delilah didn't notice at ALL. That seems to be her forte. 

Gary/Maggie's awkwardness with each other? Meh. They're getting back together eventually. It's just a question on when. 

Regina/Rome with Eve? Meh. I appreciate what they're trying to do, but I don't really care. It's well acted, for the most part, but I can't say that I think that this will end well. I'm sure Eve will give birth and then decide to keep the baby, to raise them to be better or whatever.

Or sadly it will become a ripped from the headlines story about domestic violence and Eve will be either killed or badly beaten by the baby daddy. Or they could go with a twist  in the story and have Rome or Regina get hurt trying to help Eve. I’m just finding both Rome and Regina irritating as they fawn over this girl. And WHO IS RUNNING THE RESTAURANT!!

• Love 10

Since this is a soap, I'm sure there will be a lot of drama re the baby. I saw a film Private Life on Netflix that showed the cold reality of an infertile couple with private adoption and IVP. Very good if anyone has an interest. This is beyond cliche unless there is a twist later.  (On the side, why couldn't the birth mom know the sex, they could have left the room. ) This "mean Derek" is beyond the stereotype and the whole script makes me want to FF through the scenes. Domestic abuse isn't a "poor" thing, I sadly heard of it way too often in affluent neighborhoods and middle class. For whatever reason, it usually shown differently on TV unless it was someone famous or maybe it's just that there aren't enough minority families shown as loving adults and they exist just as much.

Theo's remark reminded me of my 92 year old mom in a more upscale store with me once, "They pay for holes in their pants?" I agree, it's odd but it did make the sales people smile, maybe her age. I liked Theo's spontaneous utterance. It was honest as was his feelings about Dakota. If my parents just dumped on my dad had a baby with a good friend (who was also married) and now this baby is my half sister, I would not like watching him with a young woman who looks like "his type" the way they were. At his age, or any age really, it makes you question. A year from now, maybe not.  Eddie is not my fav but the flirting was a bit much. If she was not attractive to him, he wouldn't have done that type of banter I'm sure.

Cancer is so scary, I did feel Maggie's anxiety but if they keep her, she needs more friends outside of the group to lean on.  I always felt blessed that the tech would smile or give me a "looks good" but doc will confirm. I never had breast cancer but sister and mom did and they knew I was anxious.  It helped those long minutes waiting. I can't imagine what they felt and hope I never do.

I'm glad Katherine mentioned Jon in a nice way, I can see him leaving her thoughts for a day or two now, but the kids, no. I wish they mentioned him more often or showed a flashback or picture from a trip or event. "Best Mom mug" a bit much. Did Jon have a best Dad mug for giving them a nice home, being involved with their sports and school events, taking them on trips, being a good friend/example? Sure his illness took him way too far toward the end but as the guys said, they really never talked deeply. He was there for them though and even in his death, tried to give them things.  The show went with the Barbara Morgan thing for months, PJ, etc to keep from discussing Jon in a more intimate way. He was hatched on this show, no family or anyone who cared about him, so sad when you think about it. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, debraran said:

I'm glad Katherine mentioned Jon in a nice way, I can see him leaving her thoughts for a day or two now, but the kids, no. I wish they mentioned him more often or showed a flashback or picture from a trip or event.

I was surprised Katherine said that.  I didn't think anyone remembered Jon except Sophie.  Although she seems totally over her mom's infidelity now after her grandfather said a few words about how sad poor, poor Delilah felt in her marriage. I guess that makes cheating with his best friend totally fine, no problem, move along. 

This show needs to keep up with the times.  A baggie of joints like it's the 70's? Sophie would more likely have a vape pen or edibles. 

What happened to Delilah's boyfriend?  Is he still involved with the restaurant?  Speaking of which, it seems to run itself except when they need it so Regina can give jobs to people.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, iwasish said:

When Katherine was telling Edie about how she no longer thinks about Jon every day, I thought she was going to reveal that she had an affair with him. 

Same. Jon understood Katherine in a way Eddie never could, so I do wonder if there was some kind of emotional infidelity, even if it was just a suspicion in Katherine's mind. Remember, she made it a point to return the drink set that she and Jon used to use at his office to Delilah. While I'm completely done with Eddie and Delilah, I want to hear more about the Jon and Katherine relationship. 

• Love 4

Ha, I was with Gary. No, Sophie, it's not funny that your boyfriend WHO WORKS AT A RESTAURANT is so dumb that he bought grapes instead of blueberries.

Ugh, every tv show that ever shows MRIs always drives me crazy. No hospital just lets you waltz into the magnet room with cake. There is always a window between the control room and the magnet room so that you can clearly see if someone is still in there.

And this is not Maggie's first time getting a scan so she should know by now that the MRI tech isn't allowed to tell her if they see anything (even if the tumor is the size of a whale). Only the doctor is allowed to discuss the results.

I was annoyed that Regina and Rome kept trying to convince this poor abused woman to stay in Boston. The sheer terror she was obviously feeling was obviously real and there was no reason for her to stay. She's been through enough and she doesn't need your guilt trip and arguments.

I can't lie - I laughed my ass off when Theo asked if Eddie was going to have a baby with Dakota too. Who would have guessed there would be repercussions for having an affair with your best friend's wife?

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, maggiemae said:

IMO  the adoptive parents should never be so involved in the mother.

Didn't they even have a line about how they weren't supposed to get too involved? No way should Regina be her boss. And if her ex is really in town and figured out where she works...what makes them think he won't be able to find her at Regina's restaurant?

I'm sure the hospital has some kind of lounge/breakroom for the staff... I doubt it's directly outside the room where the MRI machine lives. Why are they having cake in the very next room from where a patient is getting a scan (even if they thought the patient was finished)?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 9

I loved this show in the first season. Like, This is Us levels of love. But I'm honestly wondering if I can keep going with it. I hate, h a t e, the Rome/Regina story with the heat of the sun. Regina's 180 from no children to giddy babbling over feeling baby mama's belly makes me want to, well, punch a baby.

Delilah the Wonder Mom is insufferable.

Maggie needs to get the hell over herself.

Eddie reading his broken vows to his ten year old (who swings from burns like 'are you gong to have a baby with this one too?' to bedtime cuddles with mommy) was cringeworthy. Katherine is one miracle away from qualifying for sainthood.

The kids are all becoming typical tv kids, wiser than the adults and always ready with a quip or a burn.

Gary is literally the only reason I watch at this point.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
18 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Gary is literally the only reason I watch at this point.

And even Gary is frustrating to me. We finally see Colin return and all I can think about is Colin's real owner who is obviously missing him, all because Gary decided to go with Maggie's dumbass plan to swap dogs. 

• Love 11
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He's 13. Some people don't have sleepovers. As for 13 being kinda young, I respectfully disagree. I certainly had sexual feelings at that age (not that I acted on them) - but my former sister in law had her first child at 13. And sexual issues in my kid's middle school were rampant.

3 hours ago, debraran said:

On the side, why couldn't the birth mom know the sex, they could have left the room.

Regina and Rome wanted to know the sex, the birth mom didn't. My take is that knowing this additional detail about the child she was giving away would be too painful for her.

3 hours ago, izabella said:

This show needs to keep up with the times.  A baggie of joints like it's the 70's? Sophie would more likely have a vape pen or edibles.

Maybe they were Jon's. It was probably a decent hiding place, Since I can't really picture Sophie having used that girly sleeping bag since she hit puberty. But that's not the way the show will take it.

I'm tired of them hitting the "Delilah is the best mom" storyline hard all the freaking time. She's not - and that's okay. You don't have to be the best mom to have value. Of course, it seems like Delilah being a mom is really her only storyline, so there's that.

• Love 8

Katherine telling Eve that her company did lots of pro bono work, then telling  Regina, no, not really, Regina’s response “Oh Thank you so much!!“ How about  offering to pay her? Even if Katherine turned it down... at least offer!!!8

So  Gary spent  the entire day and overnight at a Delilah’s taking care of her “Honey Do” list. How nice of him... I have a feeling Gary is falling for Delilah’s poor me act. 

• Love 11
22 hours ago, doodlebug said:

It seems weird that the show has Danny, at age 12, exploring romantic relationships and Theo, just 2 years younger behaves like he's barely out of preschool.  

Yes, I'm really confused about Theo's behavior, age and what he knows. Danny at 12 is in middle school, which is the right age to have recently learned about reproduction and also to understand that when two people are married they are only supposed to be intimate with each other. But, does the audience have confirmation that 10-year-old Theo who comes off as being significantly younger knows "where babies come from"? He knows that Daddy did something with Aunty Delilah that was bad and it hurt his Mommy and she went away for a little while. He saw Sophie outraged toward his Daddy. But does he actually know anything about sex, did he ever see Aunty Delilah and Daddy being flirty, how does he understand that flirting can lead to a baby and thus Daddy being flirty with Dakota upset him? 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He's 13. Some people don't have sleepovers. As for 13 being kinda young, I respectfully disagree. I certainly had sexual feelings at that age (not that I acted on them) - but my former sister in law had her first child at 13. And sexual issues in my kid's middle school were rampant.

I absolutely agree that 13 year olds have sexual feelings and can and do act out on them.  I'm an OB/GYN, 34 years in practice; I've seen living proof.  And that is part of the reason why I think allowing a 13 year old's boyfriend to spend the night is not such a good idea.  While pregnancy might not be an issue for Danny, there are a lot of other issues involved with becoming sexually active at his age that come into play and allowing his boyfriend to sleep over, especially had they not spent the night sleeping in the living room with Gary right there, could've lead to a situation that neither Danny nor Elliot was ready to handle emotionally.  When Danny told Delilah that the sleepover was with Elliot; she should've immediately put on the brakes and told him why she didn't think it was a good idea.  In very clear and certain terms.  She was lucky that he was accepting of her idea that a big pj party in the living room with Gary, Colin and some movies was an option.  It shouldn't have been an option and she should've been very clear as to why a 13 year old should not spend the night with his/her boyfriend alone.

I didn't mean to imply that Danny was too young to have sexual feelings, but that he was too young to be given the opportunity to act on those feelings in an adult way with his mother's cooperation.  No matter what his sexuality might be, becoming physically intimate with a romantic partner at 13 is not a good idea, IMO, and Delilah should've made it very clear as to what activities were off limits if Elliot was spending the night.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
37 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I absolutely agree that 13 year olds have sexual feelings and can and do act out on them.  I'm an OB/GYN, 34 years in practice; I've seen living proof.  And that is part of the reason why I think allowing a 13 year old's boyfriend to spend the night is not such a good idea.  While pregnancy might not be an issue for Danny, there are a lot of other issues involved with becoming sexually active at his age that come into play and allowing his boyfriend to sleep over, especially had they not spent the night sleeping in the living room with Gary right there, could've lead to a situation that neither Danny nor Elliot was ready to handle emotionally.  When Danny told Delilah that the sleepover was with Elliot; she should've immediately put on the brakes and told him why she didn't think it was a good idea.  In very clear and certain terms.  She was lucky that he was accepting of her idea that a big pj party in the living room with Gary, Colin and some movies was an option.  It shouldn't have been an option and she should've been very clear as to why a 13 year old should not spend the night with his/her boyfriend alone.

I didn't mean to imply that Danny was too young to have sexual feelings, but that he was too young to be given the opportunity to act on those feelings in an adult way with his mother's cooperation.  No matter what his sexuality might be, becoming physically intimate with a romantic partner at 13 is not a good idea, IMO, and Delilah should've made it very clear as to what activities were off limits if Elliot was spending the night.

Ah, now there we definitely agree. I too thought a sleepover was ill conceived with young romantic partners. I'm not sure anyone would hesitate to shut that down if it were a 13 year old girl and a boy. So for me, Delilah didn't win any Mom points there.

I may have misread your original post too quickly and missed your point. I apologize.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7

The Danny character just irks me.  The kid is 13?  He acts more like a 40 year old and his mother does nothing to bring him back to childhood.  Is Theo 10, I thought he was younger.  The cake with the 10 on it at his Bday party was for Eddie being 10 years sober.  I am confused about his age.  I do like that he is on to Eddie and picked up on the flirty work environment.  Kid loves his mother and does not want her hurt again.  They make it obvious something bad is going to happen with the birth mother and the whole abusive boyfriend storyline.  I am so over Maggie and Gary.  I thought the show was pretty boring last night.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

The Danny character just irks me.  The kid is 13?  He acts more like a 40 year old and his mother does nothing to bring him back to childhood.  Is Theo 10, I thought he was younger.  The cake with the 10 on it at his Bday party was for Eddie being 10 years sober.  I am confused about his age. 

Eddie got sober when Theo was born. He's 10 but half the time they talk to him like a preschooler.

• Love 5

When Theo dropped the "like you and aunt Delilah" bomb, I admit I just about passed out laughing so hard. Thats basically what I've been dreading since we were introduced to Dakota, and now that the show has addressed it, I am hoping that we can side step Eddie throwing away his second chance with this random hot chick. I originally thought that Theo was younger than he actually is, definately not a ten year old, they really do write him as being weirdly young, especially being only a few years younger than Danny, who is written decently believable as a thirteen year old, if a bit too "wise beyond his years" in a TV kid way. 

It is funny how this week we get Theo calling his dad out on his affair again this week and has to apologize again and continue to work to make things right...just one week after Sophie forgave her mom over HER affair because she was told how Jon was actually an emotionally distant asshole and Delilah was totally in the right to cheat on him with one of his best friends. See, this is why I cut Eddie a bit more slack than Delilah, because the show itself spends so much time cutting Delilah slack and trying to justify the affair and retroactively blame Jon (you know, the suicidally depressed guy everyone loved so much) for it and everyone just forgives her instantly for it. It makes me more annoyed with her, while I can forgive Eddie a bit more, because he has actually been forced to apologize and try to make up for what he did, and no one, especially him, make excuses for the affair. 

We get it, Delilah is the best and most perfect mom ever blah blah blah I will believe that when I see it. And now Sophie is on THE POT! And even old time 70s pot apparently! GASP! Will this be our next big drama? Just Say No? 

So not only does Eve have an abusive ex (because this show was clearly in need of more drama!) he is one of those movie/tv abusive boyfriends/husbands who have unlimited resources and borderline psychic powers when it comes to stalking their abused girlfriend/wife. I am already kind of waiting for Eve to decide that, when the ex is no longer a problem, she will end up keeping the baby. or they will go for more drama and have her get beaten and lose the baby. There are a lot of things I am not thrilled with involving this story. The stereotypical tragic backstory and abusive boyfriend/family member that every young black women seems to need to have, the generally melodramatic way its being played out, with Eve clearly a background player in her own story, Rome and Regina forcing her to stay in town and getting WAY too emotionally involved in their birth mom, the fact that they seem to be only interested in getting a baby and not an older kid, who are less likely to be adopted and are more in line with the "I want to save a child" thing that Regina wanted, I am just not sure I like where this is headed. 

I cant even be super happy to see Colin anymore, knowing that Colin was stolen from his loving home by these dognapping assholes. You can see him wagging SOS with his tail! 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am already kind of waiting for Eve to decide that, when the ex is no longer a problem, she will end up keeping the baby. or they will go for more drama and have her get beaten and lose the baby. 

Seeing as how it took Regina 2.0 seconds to go from wanting no kids to be cooing over a pregnant woman's stomach, I fully expect Eve to decide to keep the baby once she's free from her abusive ex (probably through him dying, just for dramatic effect) and she gets over her issues. 

11 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Props to Gary for this conversation:

Sophie: Ugh, work is so hard.  I don't know how you guys do it.

Gary:  I don't.

I forgot he was unemployed for a second...mostly because, even when he was employed, he was never at work!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm tired of them hitting the "Delilah is the best mom" storyline hard all the freaking time. She's not - and that's okay. You don't have to be the best mom to have value. Of course, it seems like Delilah being a mom is really her only storyline, so there's that.

Yeah, she is definitely not the best mom in any way and their always telling her she is just minimizes her faults.  The best mom would not have done what she did.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Isn't weed legal in Massachusetts? I mean, not for teenagers obviously, but neither is alcohol and nobody seems to care about a few beers, etc.

I just checked, and it is for anyone over 21. So legally, I guess it is similar to Sophie drinking underage. I can see why Delilah would be concerned though. 

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seeing as how it took Regina 2.0 seconds to go from wanting no kids to be cooing over a pregnant woman's stomach, I fully expect Eve to decide to keep the baby once she's free from her abusive ex (probably through him dying, just for dramatic effect) and she gets over her issues. 

I've watched a lot of adoption storylines on TV, and I am almost positive Rome and Regina will not be getting that baby. The only TV show I can think of where the couple ended up with the baby they were told they were getting was Friends, and that was probably only cause it was the series finale.

• Love 7

I got a big kick out of Theo being quite the little savage in this episode.  The way he said to Eddie, completely deadpan, "Are you going to have a baby with Dakota, too?" was fantastic.  And then he continued to stare his father down, with an expression of, "Yeah, I said what you think I said."  It's too bad he didn't have a mic he could have let drop to the floor to complete the picture.

I didn't think Theo had it in him, but I'm really glad he did!

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
24 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Is Maggie’s short hair actually a wig? Because she looks like she has a really oddly shaped head now (bulgy at the crown) and I think it must be because her real hair is bunched up underneath it.

I would guess that, her hair was on the thin side, so they probably slicked it back and put on the wig. I doubt highly she let them cut her hair for this show. I've also seen bumps/hair with Gary's skull cap in the past which was kind of tacky for 2019 (at the time)  They've gotten so much better today with things like that.

Edited by debraran
19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Eddie got sober when Theo was born. He's 10 but half the time they talk to him like a preschooler.

They do. Theo is incredibly immature, emotionally. He is very needy and the way Eddie and Katherine are dealing with his insecurities are not helping. 

On a funny/weird note, when he was watching Eddie and Dakota bantering, I thought the look in his eyes was like the evil kid from a horror movie who was plotting the tragic death of Dakota.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

They do. Theo is incredibly immature, emotionally. He is very needy and the way Eddie and Katherine are dealing with his insecurities are not helping.

I have one child who was always emotionally younger than kids her age. Whereas I was old beyond my years as a child. Upbringing makes a big difference (Theo is certainly cosseted), but I also think it's partly on how we develop physically. It's a bell curve - averages in the middle, and there are outliers on each side of it.

So for me, personally, I'm not too disturbed that there's only a 3 year difference between Theo and Danny, both because those are pretty significant years developmentally, and because they are likely outliers emotionally in their age group. They're fictional, but it is not particularly unusual in the real world, at least in my experience.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

On a funny/weird note, when he was watching Eddie and Dakota bantering, I thought the look in his eyes was like the evil kid from a horror movie who was plotting the tragic death of Dakota.

It has problems on all fronts. First of all, the kid playing him is not the best actor (of course few kid actors are). The second, Nash and the writers keep trying to give him dialogue and actions thinking he is great. The second problem is they then counter it all with all of Theo's "problems". I mean, seriously the kid gets nose bleeds just with one ounce of frustration? He has night terrors where he is clearly awake and acting like he is reading his lines from a cue card. Then you have Eddie and Katherine talking to Eddie about broken vows, affairs, ect, yet they won't deal with the elephant in the room and that's Eddie's drinking problems. Which, sorry, by the time I was 7 I knew about my father's actual drinking problems and he just celebrated 32 years sober this week. Reason that happened when his second marriage three years later ended and he lost his job and later apartment. He decided to get his act together after that. Celebrated 1 year when I turned 10 and pretty much told me what lead him to all those years.

Here with Eddie "WE DON'T KNOW THE DAMN REASON!" and the fact that the "sister is talking to them again." How about they ACTUALLY talk to Theo on WHY their marriage went south and about Eddie's past and how much he was the factor why Eddie has not gone back to drinking all these years. It might you know, make sense and stop giving Theo this crap look like he is about to murder people. 

19 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Isn't weed legal in Massachusetts? I mean, not for teenagers obviously, but neither is alcohol and nobody seems to care about a few beers, etc.

It sure is.  Not sure what the age is.  But if you are that age you can walk in and buy whatever you want.  I'm still in shock but I guess that's how folks felt when alcohol became legal.

What is concerning is there is no way to detect if a person has been indulging when they have a car accident.  But maybe there wasn't all those years ago for alcohol....although cars didn't travel quite as fast. 😖

31 minutes ago, AnnaCody said:

It sure is.  Not sure what the age is.  But if you are that age you can walk in and buy whatever you want.  I'm still in shock but I guess that's how folks felt when alcohol became legal.

What is concerning is there is no way to detect if a person has been indulging when they have a car accident.  But maybe there wasn't all those years ago for alcohol....although cars didn't travel quite as fast. 😖

There  is a test. Unfortunately, that test isn't specific enough to determine if they were under the influence while driving. As I understand it, it only indicates that they've indulged during a certain time frame (it used to be a month, I think, and I believe it's narrowed, but is still not accurate to the time/hour). Which does create a conundrum for those who do partake legally and are not under the influence while they drive.

Edited by Clanstarling

I don’t believe Eddie and Katherine need to tell Theo every detail of their marriage and its problems. Therapist usually say don’t treat your child like a friend, and talking to them about your problems is doing just that. Children need to feel safe, listened to and loved. Adults are not required to tell their kids of any age every detail of their lives. 

I actually thought Theo ‘s comments didn’t seem realistic for him. I could see him feeling uneasy with his dad talking to Dakota, but not thinking about him making a baby with her. 

I didn’t have an issue with Danny’s sleepover because Delilah made it clear she would be watching things. 

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I actually thought Theo ‘s comments didn’t seem realistic for him. I could see him feeling uneasy with his dad talking to Dakota, but not thinking about him making a baby with her.

Good point. It is also a big jump form him being uncomfortable to being able to express with words that a banter like that could result in an affair and affairs can result in babies.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Which does create a conundrum for those who do partake legally and are not under the influence while they drive.

The other problem is that often there is no legal standard for intoxication, as there is for alcohol (.08 or .04, etc.).  The test may show presence, but, here in CA, currently it is up to the officer to determine if they are driving while impaired.  You can see the legal dilemma there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The other problem is that often there is no legal standard for intoxication, as there is for alcohol (.08 or .04, etc.).  The test may show presence, but, here in CA, currently it is up to the officer to determine if they are driving while impaired.  You can see the legal dilemma there.

Indeed.

9 hours ago, readster said:

It has problems on all fronts. First of all, the kid playing him is not the best actor (of course few kid actors are). The second, Nash and the writers keep trying to give him dialogue and actions thinking he is great. The second problem is they then counter it all with all of Theo's "problems". I mean, seriously the kid gets nose bleeds just with one ounce of frustration? He has night terrors where he is clearly awake and acting like he is reading his lines from a cue card. Then you have Eddie and Katherine talking to Eddie about broken vows, affairs, ect, yet they won't deal with the elephant in the room and that's Eddie's drinking problems. Which, sorry, by the time I was 7 I knew about my father's actual drinking problems and he just celebrated 32 years sober this week. Reason that happened when his second marriage three years later ended and he lost his job and later apartment. He decided to get his act together after that. Celebrated 1 year when I turned 10 and pretty much told me what lead him to all those years.

Here with Eddie "WE DON'T KNOW THE DAMN REASON!" and the fact that the "sister is talking to them again." How about they ACTUALLY talk to Theo on WHY their marriage went south and about Eddie's past and how much he was the factor why Eddie has not gone back to drinking all these years. It might you know, make sense and stop giving Theo this crap look like he is about to murder people. 

Katherine and maybe Eddie are just now starting to grasp how their facade of a happy marriage all these years, especially since the Delilah affair and Charlie, has affected Theo. My guess is he’s always picked up on an undercurrent of hostility between his parents and in an effort not to make things worse he’s tried to be perfect. His terrors and nose bleeds are symptomatic of that stress. He may have overheard conversations that made him aware that he is a major reason mom and dad stay together, so he plays the perfect child. 
I think Eddie and Katherine have gone from sheltering him from all their problems and trying to act as if everything is perfect to dumping a whole bucket of reality on him. 
I  get that Eddie decided to get sober when Theo was born, but telling Theo?  Thats a lot of pressure on a kid. What if Eddie starts drinking again... will Theo feel that he failed his dad somehow or that he wasn’t enough to keep him sober. 

• Love 9
On 2/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ugh, every tv show that ever shows MRIs always drives me crazy. No hospital just lets you waltz into the magnet room with cake. There is always a window between the control room and the magnet room so that you can clearly see if someone is still in there.

I get CTs every 3-6 months for my cancer follow-up, and if someone waltzed into the room with cake, I wouldn’t hesitate to ask for a piece 😉

On 2/21/2020 at 8:45 AM, ams1001 said:

I'm sure the hospital has some kind of lounge/breakroom for the staff... I doubt it's directly outside the room where the MRI machine lives. Why are they having cake in the very next room from where a patient is getting a scan (even if they thought the patient was finished)?

The last time I was in for a CT, I got close enough to the window to see into the control room (the window is tinted, and you can’t see anything unless you’re right up to it) and they seemed to be having some sort of dance party.  But yeah, I doubt that refreshments are allowed in the rooms where the bazillion-dollar equipment is housed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And this is not Maggie's first time getting a scan so she should know by now that the MRI tech isn't allowed to tell her if they see anything (even if the tumor is the size of a whale). Only the doctor is allowed to discuss the results.

This is technically true but every time I have any type of scan I do ask and some technicians do let stuff out. It is not necessarily helpful because it only makes me freak out until the official results come out, and maybe they are breaking the rules, but I had techs saying to me "I don't see anything that shouldn't be there" or asking when I was going to see my doctor next, which prompted me to ask why and he told me that there was a "spot" - then he was quick to say that it was probably nothing but the doctor would tell me - hence the freak out part

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, alexvillage said:

This is technically true but every time I have any type of scan I do ask and some technicians do let stuff out. It is not necessarily helpful because it only makes me freak out until the official results come out, and maybe they are breaking the rules, but I had techs saying to me "I don't see anything that shouldn't be there" or asking when I was going to see my doctor next, which prompted me to ask why and he told me that there was a "spot" - then he was quick to say that it was probably nothing but the doctor would tell me - hence the freak out part

I've only had one tech and she was young, not say anything to me in some way. They aren't doctor's but they see past scans and know how to read them. My last ultrasound after a mammogram, the tech said, "don't get nervous but there is one spot that was there 2 scans ago and not noted last time, so I want to scan it again and note it.  It was fine but the last tech must have not done it as thoroughly. I was still nervous but appreciated her telling me and not just doing another scan. In the past a mammogram tech didn't do a good picture and the doctor told her to do it again. She didn't tell me it wasn't clear and I thought the doctor told her because there was something. When I was told this later, I thought, just a few words, would have helped. 

I've never had an MRI and they seem much less "personal" for lack of a better word. I think the closeness and banter while doing the other scans helps.

I also have mine done at a large hospital near me, a cancer center and the doctor always reads it before I leave and then report goes out to my doctor.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I've learned not to ask because of my tendency to freak out. I have also learned not to look at the doctor's face when they're examining me - I interpret every expression in a negative way, when they just have their concentration face on.

• Love 4