Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: A Boyfriend's Ex-Wife and a Good Luck Head Rub

Bort
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I went to a high school that Sheldon would have loved to attend - a prestigious public science school in NYC that requires passing a test to get into (the Bronx HS of Science). Neil DeGrasse Tyson was my classmate.  I think it's too bad that Sheldon didn't have the benefit of attending my high school as I'm sure he would have felt very much at home there.  In fact, it may have gone further toward teaching him some humility by being among others more on his level.

He would have been smarter than everyone there also.

1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

I was just going to say this! I remember the whole discussion about the distance when Sheldon initially began taking classes. I think the writers forgot, or else think WE forgot, because I highly doubt two college students who initially proposed meeting in the dorm would have substituted driving an hour away in its place so agreeably.

Not necessarily.  An hour isn't that long of a drive.  And sometimes you just really want to get off campus.  And, maybe not so much the girl, but the guy might have been thinking food.  Nobody says no to getting out of cafeteria food for a meal.  

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Not necessarily.  An hour isn't that long of a drive.  And sometimes you just really want to get off campus. 

LOL, I always forget that people in big states like Texas think of driving distances differently...I live in CT, where an hour takes you clear across the state 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

LOL, I always forget that people in big states like Texas think of driving distances differently...I live in CT, where an hour takes you clear across the state 😁

I do the same thing. An hour is about my limit for my "do I need to take Dramamine for this ride?" calculus. I live in NJ. An hour driving west and I'm in PA (I lived in Bucks County for a while and it was almost exactly an hour from my door to my parents'). Go south and I'm in Delaware. North and I'm...well, probably stuck in traffic but almost in NY. (An hour east and I'd be pretty deep underwater.) An hour drive to go study with a classmate seems so far.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

He would have been smarter than everyone there also.

I seriously doubt that, considering it's the high school with the most Nobel prize winners in the US (8, with 7 of them in Physics), plus six Pulitzer Prize winners.  It has its own entrance exam, and out of around 30,000 students that take the test every year, only 1,000 are admitted.  I knew people much smarter than Sheldon in my time there like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who appeared on BBT once.  I'm very proud to have gone there for many reasons, but also because it was OK to be a geek there before being a geek was considered cool.  That was probably because everyone there was a geek, LOL.  Sheldon might have had an easier time being himself there and not feeling like the odd person out.  I remember some kids that skipped a few grades when I was there but I don't remember if they were quite as young as Sheldon.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

LOL, I live in CT too so I know what you mean, but when I was a kid in NYC I always felt like an hour's drive into CT took you very far away to another universe because it was such a different culture.  Plus my concept of driving distances was influenced by the fact that just going a few miles across town in NYC can take you over an hour.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I do the same thing. An hour is about my limit for my "do I need to take Dramamine for this ride?" calculus. I live in NJ. An hour driving west and I'm in PA (I lived in Bucks County for a while and it was almost exactly an hour from my door to my parents'). Go south and I'm in Delaware. North and I'm...well, probably stuck in traffic but almost in NY. (An hour east and I'd be pretty deep underwater.) An hour drive to go study with a classmate seems so far.

I can be in another state in 5 minutes (literally), a different state in maybe 10 minutes, and another state in less than an hour, but I still don't think of an hour as that far of a drive, because back when I would want to go to the mall that was an hour away.  And, I just remember that in college (nowhere near where I live now), we always wanted to get out of town on a weekend.  The only thing I would question is that I'm assuming this was the Saturday following class.  I forget what they said, but I know that Missy and Georgie were hanging out at the mall all day.  And, I think the college kids ended up spending most of the day at Sheldon's.   Kind of quick to get time off from their weekend jobs.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I seriously doubt that, considering it's the high school with the most Nobel prize winners in the US (8, with 7 of them in Physics), plus six Pulitzer Prize winners.  It has its own entrance exam, and out of around 30,000 students that take the test every year, only 1,000 are admitted.  I knew people much smarter than Sheldon in my time there like Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who appeared on BBT once.  I'm very proud to have gone there for many reasons, but also because it was OK to be a geek there before being a geek was considered cool.  That was probably because everyone there was a geek, LOL.  Sheldon might have had an easier time being himself there and not feeling like the odd person out.  I remember some kids that skipped a few grades when I was there but I don't remember if they were quite as young as Sheldon.  

Based on Sheldon’s backstory he would probably be smarter than most, if not all, of the students there. 

Edited by Guest
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Kind of quick to get time off from their weekend jobs.

Did they say they had weekend jobs? (I worked on campus when I was in college but I worked afternoon/evening weekday shifts.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I seriously doubt that, considering it's the high school with the most Nobel prize winners in the US (8, with 7 of them in Physics), plus six Pulitzer Prize winners.  It has its own entrance exam, and out of around 30,000 students that take the test every year, only 1,000 are admitted.  I'm very proud to have gone there for many reasons, but also because it was OK to be a geek there before being a geek was considered cool. 

That's pretty impressive, Yeah No!  You've probably got a lot of interesting stories to tell!

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, FinnishViewer said:

He's appeared at least twice that I remember 🙂

Wow, somehow I missed that second episode.  Not like me but I'm sure there are some eps I haven't seen.

Edited by Yeah No
19 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

If Mary felt uncomfortable with Sheldon hanging out in the dorms, the correct compromise would have been suggesting they meet at the library or some other common area on campus, not their house.

I would only be comfortable with that compromise if I was still nearby.  And if I am going have to sit for hours in a library or other area on campus but can choose to be in my own home instead I know which choice I'd be making!

• Love 2

I loved this episode. I didn't really have an issue with Mary and the laundry. She knew he had to work on the project. And previous episodes have indicated that their washer isn't the best and there are "tricks" you have to use to get it to work at all. She did offer to do the girl's laundry also. I thought the girl was a bit of a snot, actually. It's rude to insult people in their own homes. I don't care if you're having a difficult time in your major. There are polite ways of getting your point across and they often work quite well.

I've only had to do a couple of group projects. And honestly, those few times, I've usually just taken over and people let me. And in my career, same. But I don't care because I usually just want to get it over with as quickly as possible, so do the other people, so we divide and conquer and then get it done.

While I was in college, it was a bonus to do my laundry someplace else. But the real draw that would have made me travel an hour was FOOD! Yes, give me cooking that isn't from my Dept of Health condemned cafeteria. (No- not joking. It was on the front page of the Detroit Free Press). I would have done the other guy's laundry myself for good cooking. And I would have done it with a smile. So I do have a different perspective on that situation.

I still just LOVE John. I do. I can't help it, that little weirdo has worked his way into my heart to the point that he is one of my favorite characters on any show. He's just so gloriously delighted with so many small things that so many of us take for granted, that it is refreshing. He doesn't look down on things. He's just delighted. And I love that.

And there are not enough words for Georgie and Missy. "I'm the only guy that I think is beautiful and maybe David Hasselhoff." "Get your hands off her. That's right."

And, I'm with George, I would love to go back to being able to eat, drink and be skinny. Sigh- I miss those days so much. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Dani said:

Based on Sheldon’s backstory he would probably be smarter than most, if not all, of the students there. 

But I think being smarter then every adult he met and even the supposed college students is different then being smarter then the kids in your own class.    He would have if course set the curve but had friends that could have at least given him some competition.   It could have teached  him if not humility then at least how to work with others Like Leonard,  Raj,  Amy Howard and Bernadette if they had  gone to school with him.    Kids not on his level at least able to see it from where they were.   Heck even Penny who was a lot like his sister and not gonna take any of his shit but ultimately liked the guy might have taught him something at a younger age.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
36 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

But I think being smarter then every adult he met and even the supposed college students is different then being smarter then the kids in your own class.    He would have if course set the curve but had friends that could have at least given him some competition.   It could have teached  him if not humility then at least how to work with others Like Leonard,  Raj,  Amy Howard and Bernadette if they had  gone to school with him.    Kids not on his level at least able to see it from where they were.   Heck even Penny who was a lot like his sister and not gonna take any of his shit but ultimately liked the guy might have taught him something at a younger age.  

Possibly. It’s also possible that he would just throw himself more into the academic world and never bother to form emotional connections with other students. He might lean even harder into his quirks and grow up to be more like Dr. Sturgis. 

20 minutes ago, Dani said:

Possibly. It’s also possible that he would just throw himself more into the academic world and never bother to form emotional connections with other students. He might lean even harder into his quirks and grow up to be more like Dr. Sturgis. 

I'm not sure why being like Dr. Sturgis would be a bad thing.  Especially when compared to being like Sheldon.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm not sure why being like Dr. Sturgis would be a bad thing.  Especially when compared to being like Sheldon.

It’s not really. I was mainly referring to how isolated and lonely he seemed to be before he met Sheldon and Connie. My impression was that Connie was the first person he was really able to connect to and I could see Sheldon being like that if he was went to school in a more strenuous academic setting. 

13 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

I would only be comfortable with that compromise if I was still nearby.  And if I am going have to sit for hours in a library or other area on campus but can choose to be in my own home instead I know which choice I'd be making!

Sure, but the other 2 students are enrolled in the college and taking the course for credit.  Sheldon is only there as a special treat.  The college students shouldn't have to turn their schedules inside out to accommodate him.  On the other hand, they wouldn't have got very far on the project had they gone to a coffee shop that night as suggested. 

Something that has been bugging is that Sheldon's physical age should be impacting his education more, like what we saw here. He's 10. Any group he's assigned to is going to have to work around the fact he does have a bedtime and parental controlled transportation. 

How does he access the university library when needed? The high school won't have those types of materials.

And why do we see him in gym class with older kids? He could be legit injured. At the very least special arrangements should have been made for that class. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, anna0852 said:

And why do we see him in gym class with older kids? He could be legit injured. At the very least special arrangements should have been made for that class. 

I think the only things we've seen him do in gym are individual activities--sit ups and swimming. He probably doesn't take part in group sports.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Sure, but the other 2 students are enrolled in the college and taking the course for credit.  Sheldon is only there as a special treat.  The college students shouldn't have to turn their schedules inside out to accommodate him. 

Absolutely agreed and if the show wasn't called Young Sheldon they probably wouldn't have 😉.   But I think Mary was acknowledging she was asking a special favour when she offered laundy facilities and provided food.  I expect Mary has a few more years ahead of her of trying to make sure Sheldon gets the education he needs while still being protected the way any parent would want to protect a child Sheldon's age,

With regard to considering taking this class as a special treat - I agree from Sheldon's POV that's true - but considering the university is already trying to make sure Sheldon continues to go there when he's ready to attend full-time that they are very aware that Sheldon is "one of God's special  little people".  I suspect they would be prepared to be very accommodating where he is concerned in Stugis's class.

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Love 3
On 2/17/2020 at 9:34 AM, Beany Malone said:

Sure, I get that...but don't forget that Sheldon is the variable in the equation, not the "real" college students. Mary can't expect everyone and everything to adapt for him, instead of vice versa.

PS - Love your username! I inherited a few Beany books from my mom's collection as a young teen 😀

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Mary can't expect everyone and everything to adapt for him, instead of vice versa.

That's why she offered laundry service and food. She didn't expect something for nothing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Sure, I get that...but don't forget that Sheldon is the variable in the equation, not the "real" college students. Mary can't expect everyone and everything to adapt for him, instead of vice versa.

PS - Love your username! I inherited a few Beany books from my mom's collection as a young teen 😀

Agreed - but I think it's becoming more and more clear that Sheldon isn't just the variable in terms of being a kid and not a full-time college student but also a genius that the college wants to cultivate for its own benefit.  That's bound to influence anything that happens from here on out.

re: my name -  thanks! I got mine from my mother as well. I adore those books - I'd really rather grow up to be Mary Fred but Beany will always be dear to my heart 😊

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Sure, but the other 2 students are enrolled in the college and taking the course for credit.  Sheldon is only there as a special treat.  The college students shouldn't have to turn their schedules inside out to accommodate him.  On the other hand, they wouldn't have got very far on the project had they gone to a coffee shop that night as suggested. 

I’ve always assumed that Sheldon is enrolled and taking the course for credit just like the other students. If Sheldon should get less consideration as a group member that’s on John for putting him in a group. 

13 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Something that has been bugging is that Sheldon's physical age should be impacting his education more, like what we saw here. He's 10. Any group he's assigned to is going to have to work around the fact he does have a bedtime and parental controlled transportation. 

How does he access the university library when needed? The high school won't have those types of materials.

Probably the same way he has accessed through kind of material his whole life. I imagine a child like Sheldon would be very adapt and getting that kind of thing. 

Edited by Guest
7 hours ago, Dani said:

If Sheldon should get less consideration as a group member that’s on John for putting him in a group. 

Just like Sheldon, Dr. Sturgis is clueless to social cues.  He probably didn't think a thing about putting Sheldon in a group with his classmates.  He doesn't seem to be capable of thinking about all of the other implications of doing so.  

10 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Just like Sheldon, Dr. Sturgis is clueless to social cues.  He probably didn't think a thing about putting Sheldon in a group with his classmates.  He doesn't seem to be capable of thinking about all of the other implications of doing so.  

I meant from an academic standpoint based on the suggestion that Sheldon isn’t an official student. 

11 hours ago, Dani said:

I meant from an academic standpoint based on the suggestion that Sheldon isn’t an official student. 

I think he's an official student of that class.  When I was in college there were plenty of people from town who would just take one class.  We didn't consider them second-rate citizens.  

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Sheldon is officially in the class and getting credit for it. I have no idea how the financing is going for it. If the college is letting him take it for free or what. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Sheldon is officially in the class and getting credit for it. I have no idea how the financing is going for it. If the college is letting him take it for free or what. 

I can't remember what happens in the episode where the college is trying to recruit George Sr but for some reason I had the impression they were offering Sheldon a free ride if he were to go there.  It wouldn't suprise me at all to learn that they were offering him this class tuition free as well.  It would be very prestiigous for most schools to have someone like Sheldon attending.  They can't know for sure of course if his life long trajectory really will include a Nobel Prize and towns named after him as he assumes but they have to know he's destined for great things and they want to be part of that.

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Love 2
On 2/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, OtterMommy said:

You;re right...the fact that it was Mary do their laundry is where my charity ends.  As a college student, I would have loved the opportunity to do my laundry somewhere besides the dorm...but I also would not have wanted a complete stranger doing my laundry!

I am with you, but I think that boys are different. They don't give a hoot if someone wants to do their laundry for them.  They're just happy that it's clean and they didn't have to do it. 🙂

• Love 3

I'm somewhat confused by this storyline.

John broke up with Connie because he didn't want her to have to deal with someone who suffers from mental illness. But then he calls Reba McIntyre to ask her out who then tells him "no, thank you," and not to lose hope on Connie.

But HE broke up with her. They make it sound like she dumped him and he's still pining away.

1 minute ago, aemom said:

John broke up with Connie because he didn't want her to have to deal with someone who suffers from mental illness. But then he calls Reba McIntyre to ask her out who then tells him "no, thank you," and not to lose hope on Connie.

But HE broke up with her. They make it sound like she dumped him and he's still pining away.

It's called changing his mind when he sees her with someone else.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, aemom said:

You also made me wonder, if June had agreed to date him, and they grew very fond of each other, would he then have to end that relationship, too?

But I still enjoyed this subplot very much. I loved how gleefully John reacted to his friends rubbing his head.

• Love 2

Another fun pairing of Missy/Georgie (and after last week's fun pairing of Georgie/Sheldon - clearly the writers can really write to Montana Jordan's strengths as an actor). And yes, Daisy Duke aroused certain feelings in me at that age too (actually, more like Sheldon's age - they must be watching reruns of The Dukes of Hazard, because I think it had ended it's run by the time this is set). Also really liking John's plotline ("Is that fun or weird?" "Yes!") - I have a horrible feeling it's because he reminds me so much of me!

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:46 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I am torn on the group project storyline, because I feel like both sides are right and have valid points. Mary made a decision and has few regrets about her choices in life, which Sam should have respected. On the other hand, Sam feels as though men don't see her or treat her as an equal because of what they have grown up and seen in their own lives. She believes that Mary is modelling bad behavior.

That was my take, too. Sam was being rude to Mary for criticising her life choices, but you could see her frustrations at the way the men were treating her (one because he had to be the Alpha Male, the other because he had to be Sheldon!). And while I wasn't a fan of group projects, it's not an unreasonable thing to get experience in - scientific discoveries are almost always group efforts, so getting along with others is something they need to learn.

• Like 1
  • Love 1