Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Last Night in Paradise

• Start Topic

Jessica. Girl. GIRL. Barnett is not as into you as you think he is. Also, she was SUPER drunk when they got back to their hotel room.

I feel like Jessica was offended by the "command" thing as a defense. Because she is trying to lay down ground rules with him like an older authority figure. It's not about consent. She's just clearly not that into him but she doesn't want to break up and go home like Diamond and Carlton. And he can sense that. Look at Kelly and Kenny. They're not having sex but they have a decent dynamic. It's not the same with Jessica and Mark. She's keeping him at arm's length both physically and emotionally. When she's sober she can sort of say the right things but she's sloppier when she's drunk.

I seriously cannot tell if Giannina is stirring trouble in the reality show contestant kind of way or if she's just afraid of getting hurt and looking for red flags with Damian as a way of protecting herself. 

Health Coach and Sales are demanding jobs for Kelly and Kenny? How late do they have to work?

OK, I was not expecting that. Giannina and Damian had some drama. And then they worked through it and had a little breakthrough. This suddenly gave me more faith that they could maybe make it. Maybe not straight into marriage but into a decent long-term relationship.

Oh, Jesus Christ. Jessica! Give it up, girl. Barnett is just not that into you. Just because one time he said something flirty it does not mean he was actually going to propose to you. You weren't even in his final two. I'm not saying that she should settle for a guy that she isn't attracted to. But Amber is right. Jessica is not competition. There's something in her head where she seems to think she looks like she did when she was Amber's age. What makes you think that the most attractive guy in the room (in your opinion) thinks you're the most attractive girl in the room?

• Sad 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16

Jessica is a rough 34. She looks at least a decade older. 

I was surprised that Mark didn't have any negative reaction. He was completely into her, even towards these later episodes when she clearly gave up trying to impress him. (While the other women were fully made up and in revealing dresses, there were scenes with Jessica wearing no makeup, messy hair, and basically the equivalent of a T-shirt and sweatpants.) When she is made up she cakes on her makeup in a really unflattering way as though she can't see all the texture and lines around her eyes. I would understand and be completely sympathetic to Jessica's concerns about the big age difference. But even though she implies insecurity when she talks to Mark, what baffles me is that she seems to be very shallow. It's not a good look on anyone to be so superficial but it's a particularly bad look when you fail to realize you're not all that and a bag of chips but behave like you are.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

All the women have bodies that are 10s.

Someone on another discussion board said none of the participants were attractive, which fine. He went on to claim that a couple of the women were "thick" and I wondered if we were watching the same show. We have seen them in their bikinis and there's not one bit of jiggle.

I hope he was just trolling because jeez.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Obviously all these people want to be famous. All the women have bodies that are 10s. I think this was a must. Any guy would be pissed if a fat chick he fell in love with walked out. This is what gets to me about this show-How they recruited these people. I can see that the women probably have no husbands because they are very picky. Jessica realy thinks she is a 10 but she is a 6- her body is a 10 though. These guys (except Mark) could find someone to marry if they wanted to.  Some of the women's faces aren't that great but they all have perfect, thin bodies. Not an ounce of fat anywhere. I'm waiting for Love is Blind: Fat Ugly People where we pair 3s up with 4s.

Aren't these people MAFS rejects? It's the same production company. In the opening sequence, one of the women tells the camera that she's excited about this "experiment" because the men are ready for marriage. This could have been lifted from MAFS.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I'm waiting for Love is Blind: Fat Ugly People where we pair 3s up with 4s.

I would want more compelling normies though. Like 3's and 4's who have had to develop a personality and a sense of humor and intelligence. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, 2727 said:

Someone on another discussion board said none of the participants were attractive, which fine. He went on to claim that a couple of the women were "thick" and I wondered if we were watching the same show. We have seen them in their bikinis and there's not one bit of jiggle.

I hope he was just trolling because jeez.

"Thick" means that they have curves. It's actually a positive term. Like Beyonce would be concerned thick because she's curvaceous. Lauren would likely be considered thick because she has awesome hips even though she still super fit. Gigi would also be called thick. The poster likely meant it positively.

• Love 5

Barnett is an ass and he deserves Amber. She is horrible and annoying. 

i’m starting to get the impression that Mark has never had a girlfriend before because I have no idea why he would put up with the way Jessica is treating him.

Gigi looks just like Kate Upton so I have no idea why she would stay with the guy she is with (I can’t think of his name, but he is homely) or why she would come on this show. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 13
28 minutes ago, PityFree said:

i’m starting to get the impression that Mark has never had a girlfriend before because I have no idea why he would put up with the way Jessica is treating him.

Gigi looks just like Kate Upton so I have no idea why she would stay with the guy she is with (I can’t think of his name, but he is homely) or why she would come on this show. 

They come on the show to get on on TV and for ten minutes of fame. I really doubt any of them have trouble dating. If the men wanted to get married, I am sure most of them could. It's such bullshit. I mean Jessica's clock is ticking though. She has a shitty personality and she is a real Butterface. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, PityFree said:

Why do people keep saying this like this about people on dating shows?

Just because you are attractive doesn't mean you can just get anyone you want. Sure you can get a lot of dates and attention but if you have your own issues or other things that people don't want to deal with you are screwed just like anybody else.

Gigi can get guys. She also pushes them away, for example.

Yes, with these shows, you always have the enjoyment of being on TV. Getting some type of fame.

But, I think there is always something appealing to people about trying to fast forward through steps. Most people hate dating but want what is potentially at the end of it. Shows like this give them a shot at what they want without as much hassle.

And, in general, not everyone is superficial or find different types of people or personalities attractive.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
13 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Why do people keep saying this like this about people on dating shows?

Just because you are attractive doesn't mean you can just get anyone you want. Sure you can get a lot of dates and attention but if you have your own issues or other things that people don't want to deal with you are screwed just like anybody else.

Gigi can get guys. She also pushes them away, for example.

Yes, with these shows, you always have the enjoyment of being on TV. Getting some type of fame.

But, I think there is always something appealing to people about trying to fast forward through steps. Most people hate dating but want what is potentially at the end of it. Shows like this give them a shot at what they want without as much hassle.

And, in general, not everyone is superficial or find different types of people or personalities attractive.

Might have been true at the beginnings of Reality TV but now it's know that you can get a lot of exposure and instagram followers. I'm not saying that all of them have these hopes and possibly SOME of these people are "there for the right reasons- ha ha ha ha ha ha".  In general any nice looking, attractive, normal MAN with a good job can find a woman to marry if he wants to get married. He doesn't need to go on a dating show.  In many cities there are more women than men, like Atlanta, and women want to get married before they are too old to have children.  For the most part, people who get selected to go on these shows think very highly of themselves or they would not have shown up for the casting. An average looking man or woman would never get selected. 

And if you have issues and "people don't want to deal with you" and find it hard to maintain relationships, then how would a dating show where you get married or engaged immediately fix those issues? 

Edited by calpurnia99
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
On 2/16/2020 at 4:14 PM, calpurnia99 said:

Might have been true at the beginnings of Reality TV but now it's know that you can get a lot of exposure and instagram followers. I'm not saying that all of them have these hopes and possibly SOME of these people are "there for the right reasons- ha ha ha ha ha ha".  In general any nice looking, attractive, normal MAN with a good job can find a woman to marry if he wants to get married. He doesn't need to go on a dating show.  In many cities there are more women than men, like Atlanta, and women want to get married before they are too old to have children.  For the most part, people who get selected to go on these shows think very highly of themselves or they would not have shown up for the casting. An average looking man or woman would never get selected. 

And if you have issues and "people don't want to deal with you" and find it hard to maintain relationships, then how would a dating show where you get married or engaged immediately fix those issues? 

If you are on a show like this where everything is sped up and amplified, the process of getting to the altar is easier because you are skipping so many steps. If that's all you care about, than this would be easier.

If you are trying to do something out of your element because the things you do or look for are not working for you, this is another way to do that.

Strip away all the superficial things you keep looking for and just work on connection first.

There are millions of "attractive people" in the world who struggle to marry or date just like everyone else. How much easier it is to date is insignificant. If you can't keep a person in your life than your screwed anyway. 

A lot of these shows can attract people besides the famewhores because dating is just hard and it gets harder every day. So, a lot of people who just want to find love already or just want to get married or just have kids would find something like this appealing. Potentially get everything they want in a handful of weeks time. It's almost never that easy and I think doing something like this is crazy but not everyone thinks the same.

Edited by Racj82
  • Like 2
  • Love 10
On 2/14/2020 at 5:53 AM, bonbonba said:

Obviously Jessica just thinks Mark is short and not 'the hottest'. Just admit it and stop using bunch of excuses, fancy words to cover it up. 

Exactly! Jessica looks older than 35 btw. She looked looney when she was drunk in the hotel room talking to Mark. I feel that she just got back with Mark because Barnett didn't want her. All the signs are there that she isn't into Mark. Mark just has to accept it and let her behind go!

• Like 1
  • Love 20

Jessica is probably 38-43 years old in real life, and with her incessant mentions of social media, desperate to be an IG influencer and have her dream “wedding” done with products she’s gifted because of her social media status...and poor Mark doesn’t fit the trophy husband she needs to complete the perfect persona.

Also she is an asshole. 

Giannini and Damian did pretty well with that discussion so for now, she seems pretty level-headed.

Amber and Barnett are gross. Shenanigans seem afoot: I swear that in the earlier episode where they woke up from their first night in Mexico he was wearing a ring on his wedding finger. Just looked and he’s wearing it in this episode too, wonder what’s up with that. 

Edit: just caught the preview for the next ep, nevermind about Giannini lol

Edited by Toodleoo
  • Love 8

Would have been nice if they showed us what happened with the other contestants. 

I'm sure they needed a decent amount of contestants to make sure they would have a few couples to follow at the end of this. But after Rory, I suspect that at least 2-5 of them were plants to serve as counselors, stir up drama, etc. The Lachey's seem to have been barely involved and aside from the producers who run the talking heads, I think they must have had a way to manipulate the contestants in their down time. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Toodleoo said:

Jessica is probably 38-43 years old in real life, and with her incessant mentions of social media, desperate to be an IG influencer and have her dream “wedding” done with products she’s gifted because of her social media status...and poor Mark doesn’t fit the trophy husband she needs to complete the perfect persona.

Also she is an asshole. 

Giannini and Damian did pretty well with that discussion so for now, she seems pretty level-headed.

Amber and Barnett are gross. Shenanigans seem afoot: I swear that in the earlier episode where they woke up from their first night in Mexico he was wearing a ring on his wedding finger. Just looked and he’s wearing it in this episode too, wonder what’s up with that. 

Edit: just caught the preview for the next ep, nevermind about Giannini lol

Amber gave him that ring the day he gave her one

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, shockermolar said:

All in all she is just icky and I want Mark to run away so he's not the dumpee cause this pair is not gonna work out at all.

I find it a little off putting how much he's into her despite: 1) all the red flags that he's definetly second choice, 2) How not interesting or charming she is. I'm really confused as to why he's so into her.

She had earned some points with me when she shot down Barnett's bs speech, but then she lost them all as she continues to pine after him. I think part of the reason she hasn't dumped Mark yet is so she can stay in the hotel and be around Barnett... it's really not a good look. 

I FF scenes with Kelly and her guy, they're really boring.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 16

I feel bad for Mark, he seems like such a lovely person ... mature, fun, kind, positive, loving, open. He deserves SO much better than Jessica whose entire issue with him is that she doesn’t want to fuck him. Her entire issue with Barnett is that she desperately wants validation from him that she’s never going to get. He’s not going to dump Amber for her, so she will keep going back to poor, sweet Mark for ego repairs.

I agree that Jessica was a major embarrassing, disheveled mess the night she drank too much. Yikes.  She should indulge less, brush her hair more, and let Mark go find a woman of the same quality he is. 

• Love 22
On 2/17/2020 at 10:26 PM, Chilly said:

Jessica settled with her rebound so she wouldn't be alone and, it shows. 

She's so thirsty for Barnett that I cringe watching her scenes.

Jennifer is very thirsty and older looking. Her personality is very turn offish. Mark shouldn't have taken her behind back when she came back crying to him in the pod. It's also his fault for putting himself in this situation. He knows deep down that she has feelings for Barnett. 

Barnett is just a player. So we'll see how this brews.

A storm is coming!

• Love 8
On 2/19/2020 at 2:17 AM, luvenan said:

I find it a little off putting how much he's into her despite: 1) all the red flags that he's definetly second choice, 2) How not interesting or charming she is. I'm really confused as to why he's so into her.

She had earned some points with me when she shot down Barnett's bs speech, but then she lost them all as she continues to pine after him. I think part of the reason she hasn't dumped Mark yet is so she can stay in the hotel and be around Barnett... it's really not a good look. 

Exactly! Karma will bite that @$s! Watch!!

Jessica....... you need to get off the SAUCE!!! You can’t handle your liquor and I feel so hard for Mark. You seem to be the only one worried about your age so far......... and give it up with Barnett he was only interested because Mark really liked you, Barrette likes the chase, when you stop being interested he will draw you back in to dump you again. How many times does he have to tell you he’s happy with Amber before you’ll get it???? He chose Amber! 

• Love 10

Ok, I said I was done with this show after episode 2, but my daughter is on break and is sick so we have been watching and laughing our butts off. 

The only two couples who have the remotest chance of ending up at the altar are Lauren and Cameron and perhaps Kelly and the guy who seems nice but is about as interesting as vanilla ice cream. I can't even remember his name. Lauren and Cameron have a definite chemistry and seem to actually like each other on a more than superficial level. Kelly and her fiance have potential, but are very dull to watch, which may be a good thing as far as the relationship goes. Mark should run for the hills and find someone who would appreciate him. Giannina seems like she should be a freshman in college, as she seems so young and immature. I don't see any real connection between her and Damien at all. I think that once they saw each other, behind the scenes they decided to just enjoy a vacation in Mexico and pretend for the cameras that there is a future there. Amber and Barnett just want to hook up and will probably never see each other again after the show. At least Giannina and Damien are better actors than Amber and Barnett, but neither couple have any chance of getting married. 

• Love 9
On 2/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, 2727 said:

I hope the woman in the previews shown running away in her wedding dress is Jessica. Mark deserves better.

Why does Mark deserve better? It's obvious to me he knows well he will never be with her (not that he even wants to) and he creates all this drama to gain sympathy and to get air time.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Electruck said:

I cannot figure out who Kenny (Kelly’s guy) looks like. Not sure if it’s someone famous or someone I knew.

This had been bugging me too. From certain angles he looks a bit like Bradley Cooper and other times I think he looks like Eddie Vedder.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 2/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Irritable said:

I feel bad for Mark, he seems like such a lovely person ... mature, fun, kind, positive, loving, open. He deserves SO much better than Jessica whose entire issue with him is that she doesn’t want to fuck him. Her entire issue with Barnett is that she desperately wants validation from him that she’s never going to get. He’s not going to dump Amber for her, so she will keep going back to poor, sweet Mark for ego repairs.

I agree that Jessica was a major embarrassing, disheveled mess the night she drank too much. Yikes.  She should indulge less, brush her hair more, and let Mark go find a woman of the same quality he is. 

I honestly think he's an even bigger mess than Jessica. There's something kind of sad about seeming that desperate for a match. Unless he's acting for the camera, he comes off as not only desperate, but dim to miss the hundreds of LOUD signals she sends that she ain't into him. At all. 

• Love 14

I feel like this episode was cruel and uncomfortable to watch.  Jessica does not want Mark.  Mark desperately wants Jessica.  Jessica really wants Barnett.  Barnett looks uncomfortable as hell around Jessica.  Amber humps Barnett's leg every chance she gets just to remind Jessica who won him. 

Jessica is telegraphing in huge, huge ways that she just isn't there with mark. At this point, I can only guess that there is something in the contract that says if they get to to a certain 'checkpoint' in the series before they can really call it off.

I'll bet if Carleton and Diamond's argument hadn't escalated so quickly and turned so vitriolic, they would have still been there too.  I'll bet him calling her a bitch rose to the level of her be being able to invoke some sort of out.

I liked the little moments where they are with group and the other couples and talking to someone other than their significant other.  I like how they joked about Cameron being so calm about everything.  And Damian calling Amber 'A lot.'  LOL.

• Love 11

Me, as Jessica was giving Mark the stink-eye in their hotel: "Is she drunk?" 

Jessica: [guzzles wine]

Me: "Yeah, she's drunk."

On 2/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, Neurochick said:

I've never been able to understand why someone things a person deserves better.  I think the only way you can say that is if you know them.  I mean we don't really know that what we're seeing on TV is the real them.

I mean, I think everyone in a relationship deserves to have love reciprocated by their partner. That's pretty baseline in terms of relationships. And Jessica clearly does not love Mark. Jessica kind of reminds me of MAFS Zach in that she talks a lot and doesn't say much to mask that she's just not feeling it.

I felt like Giannina read way too much into Damian's comment about escaping.

That water was gorgeous. I love the water. I was jealous of the couples who were on boats.

• Love 6
On 2/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, DearEvette said:

I'll bet if Carleton and Diamond's argument hadn't escalated so quickly and turned so vitriolic, they would have still been there too.  I'll bet him calling her a bitch rose to the level of her be being able to invoke some sort of out.

Just started bingeing this show this weekend and I have to agree with this. I have to believe that because otherwise, no matter how annoying I may find Jessica, my patience for Mark would be pretty nil at this point too. 

Because dude is either way too clueless and immature to be married to anyone or just a masochist determined to keep a woman who clearly doesn't want to be with him. The fact is there is nothing subtle about Jessica's feelings. As someone noted above, it's not about their not having sex, because neither is Kelly and her fiance.

But despite not having sex, those two don't seem physically repulsed by each other and have no problems kissing, hugging, touching and having obvious physical intimacy. I don't think Jessica and Mark have even kissed once since they got out of the pods and came to Mexico. Like seriously dude?

Someone just needs to slap a copy of He's Just Not That Into You into Mark's hands and tell him to just reverse the gender. They could also give one to Jessica to get over her thirst for Barnett. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I mean, I think everyone in a relationship deserves to have love reciprocated by their partner. That's pretty baseline in terms of relationships. And Jessica clearly does not love Mark.

I think Mark wanted Jessica; maybe he just saw a tall blue eyed blonde.  But Jessica clearly, at least to me, didn't love Mark at all.  When she first met him in the pods, she liked him, but when he said he was 24 that turned her off.  She only picked him because Barnett didn't want her.

• Love 8

Did Jessica really say something along the lines that if Barnett picked her he would be a better person (something like a more mature, poised version of himself)? 

Please. He picked the person he wanted. And he is the person he is, and will turn into the person he wants to be. I'm not saying that a strong, supportive partner can't help a person be better, but just find it silly to say after talking to a person for just a week.

• Love 14
(edited)
21 hours ago, nenya said:

Did Jessica really say something along the lines that if Barnett picked her he would be a better person (something like a more mature, poised version of himself)? 

Yup! She also said he'd be sophisticated! I snorted with laughter, Amber-style, when she said that.

Yeah, i'm sure Barnett would be a real sophisticate if he had Jessica in his life, and he'd only drink the finest vintages of White Claw.

Edited by Blakeston
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4

Mark squeeves me out and has from the get-go because he gives off a stalker vibe and doesn’t read social cues very well. He claimed Jessica within the first show and didn’t even try to get to know anyone else. I get a little suspicious by people who become that intense in a short while. His eyes feel like they’re boring into you, partly because of hypothyroidism but also the intensity and well, he doesn’t blink. 

Amber seems like the kind of girl that isn’t friend with other girls. If she feels like she’s not the most “x,y, or z” she’s got to get all eyes back on her. Maybe she was used to being hot thang at her army corps group and doesn’t like perceived competition. She’s coming across bitchy and calculating to me. 
Barnett, of course, he’s from Georgia with a surname as his first name. He’s a natural jerk and just used to phoning it in. And please pop that pimple already. 

I’m not feeling it for Damien and Gianna. They just don’t seem well matched to me. He’s kind of homely with a boring personality. 

The two Ks are boring. Pass. 
Lauren and Cameron’s love captivates me. They seem more “right reasons” than anyone on any of these shows. So nice to see their mature conversations and respect for one another. 

• Love 8

You weren't even in his final two. I'm not saying that she should settle for a guy that she isn't attracted to. But Amber is right. Jessica is not competition.

To be fair to Jessica, we don't actually know whether Barnett would have picked her or LC as a top 2 since Jessica broke things off. But I think it's clear that Amber was always going to be the #1. Barnett has very distanced body language with Jessica and does not seem to have any regrets at all.

Mark is coming across very poorly with his focus on Jessica. Whatever worked or didn't work in the pods, she is clearly not physically into him. She was indirectly communicating that pretty clearly, but then she womaned up and told him flat out this ep. And instead of doing the thing any mentally healthy person would do and accepting that, Mark is acting like this is some kind of diplomatic situation where he can convince her to change her feelings.

I am so confused why Jessica is not able to break things off as she CLEARLY wants to when Diamond and Carlton were able to. Maybe both participants in the relationship have to agree? I'm worried for Jessica's liver as she's already been drinking waaaaaaay too much.

I really liked Giannina and Damien in previous eps, but they took a turn for the weird this ep. I feel like reality may hit more of these couples than just Jessica and Mark. I wish I had a better idea of the rules of the show.

• Love 5