Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: Moira Rosé

• Start Topic

I could not love the Rose family any more than I do after that episode. I'm grinning like an idiot watching Patrick be so warmly and lovingly welcomed into the fold. I yearn for the day when every family is that comfortable with and accepting of their son's fiancé.

I'm with Twyla - that nutjob "Stairway to Heaven" cult dude was REALLY cute...

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Moira’s comment about even though Johnny and Patrick’s notes are more subtle doesn’t mean they require any less attention, really illustrates that point.

I loved that it showed despite all evidence to the contrary, Moira isn't completely self absorbed. She knows that she is A LOT but she also knows that Johnny needs attention too. On paper, Moira and Johnny might not always make sense as a couple but it has been clear from the beginning that they both adore each other and support each other's dreams. That they've been doing this for decades just makes it all the sweeter.

• Like 1
  • Love 21

I really enjoyed both story lines this episode, but I adored drunk David and Moira together. Dan Levy made the funniest faces and gestures in that scene including his sloppy, loud kiss to Patrick, "nomnomnom".

This has to be my favorite face he made during the scene though.

Capture.PNG.ac55b7b6fbb95f2166f0ec1e25ae3fea.PNG

David's expressions are usually escalating horror and closely guarded so it was nice to see him be loose and goofy. I would totally hang out with drunk David... and Moira, anytime, drunk or not.

• Love 12

I wonder if they filmed this episode with Peloton in mind.

It's sweet how easily the Roses accepted Patrick into their family but hilarious that he's sharing the same bed/room with Alexis' bed next to David&Patrick. Privacy much? Ha.

Banana rosé...That's  a flavour image I won't be able to get out of my mind. I'm getting flashback flavour trauma just thinking about it. Loved the "hint of tomato" description.

• Love 7

I thought it was a bit of a weak episode but with some nice moments. I liked that as soon as Alexis realized it was a cult she prevented everyone from signing up. I think old Alexis would have just let them sign up so she could get the money. Even though she was too dense to catch on without prompting from Stevie, once she did, she showed some actual growth. 

What in God's name was David wearing? I think he has worn this before but it's the most baffling garment I have ever beheld. It looks like some kind of oddly shaped fabric pinned to the front of a black jumpsuit.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, redfish said:

I wonder if they filmed this episode with Peloton in mind.

Probably less Peloton, more Soul Cycle. Peloton strikes me as "on your own" with a video screen. Soul Cycle is a lot more "culty."

• Love 14

Patrick explaining a bunt to David, then turning the volume up on the game after Moira and David leave.......I love the little moments.

I'm gonna miss this show (I say that after every episode now)

PS: the strawberry-peach wine tastes like amoxicillin😂😂😂😂I spit coffee all over myself

Edited by mammaM
forgot about the wine
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

I loved Patrick's talk with Johnny. 

Alexis realizing that the spa was a cult and stopping the ladies from signing up was major character growth! Cracked up at seeing Ronnie on the bike. So glad they included her in the action. 

• Love 6

I hated the scene with Johnny and Patrick. Hated that even in the wine scenes, without Patrick, they had to ruin the scene by talking about Patrick. Huge waste, again, of Catherine O'Hara to be stuck propping up David's show swallowing plot. And why isn't Patrick's family welcoming David into their lives? 

Wish the whole episode had been about Alexis and the girls and the cult. That would've been funny and worth watching. 

I still just keep hoping they'll kill Patrick off so, at least, the last couple of episodes will have a chance of being good again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

And why isn't Patrick's family welcoming David into their lives? 

They did, last season when David invited them for Patrick's surprise party. They don't live in town - it's not clear how far away they do live. Obviously we wouldn't see them all the time if they don't live there.

I still just keep hoping they'll kill Patrick off so, at least, the last couple of episodes will have a chance of being good again.

Are you serious? You think killing off David's fiance would make the last two episodes of a sitcom "good again?" 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They did, last season when David invited them for Patrick's surprise party. They don't live in town - it's not clear how far away they do live. Obviously we wouldn't see them all the time if they don't live there.

Are you serious? You think killing off David's fiance would make the last two episodes of a sitcom "good again?" 

Yes. Anything without Patrick is better than something with Patrick or with people talking about Patrick. They don’t have to kill him, though they should, they could just ignore him the way they’ve ignored every other character and possible plot arc since he infested the show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 2/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, iMonrey said:

What in God's name was David wearing? I think he has worn this before but it's the most baffling garment I have ever beheld. It looks like some kind of oddly shaped fabric pinned to the front of a black jumpsuit.

Before he stood up from the bed, I was trying to figure out why he was clutching brown paper bags to his chest, lol. I like David but I detest his wardrobe.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Elbow said:

Yes. Anything without Patrick is better than something with Patrick or with people talking about Patrick. They don’t have to kill him, though they should, they could just ignore him the way they’ve ignored every other character and possible plot arc since he infested the show.

I literally lol'd at "they've ignored every other character". Killing off Patrick is 100% not happening, but I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

Before he stood up from the bed, I was trying to figure out why he was clutching brown paper bags to his chest, lol. I like David but I detest his wardrobe.

I also thought he was holding paper bags! So random, I was just going with it because Schitt's Creek.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mledawn said:

I literally lol'd at "they've ignored every other character". Killing off Patrick is 100% not happening, but I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavours.

I would like to recut the series, from Patrick's introduction, to remove every second of his screen time and every mention of him. Eradicated! 

• Love 3
On 2/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, iMonrey said:

13 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Before he stood up from the bed, I was trying to figure out why he was clutching brown paper bags to his chest

12 hours ago, mledawn said:

I also thought he was holding paper bags! So random, I was just going with it because Schitt's Creek.

When he was on the bed eating pizza, I thought he had just put some cloth napkins on top of his shirt in case he dropped a huge glop of tomato paste on himself. Then he stood up and I thought, wow, is that some major static cling? NOPE!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
On 2/20/2020 at 11:20 AM, Elbow said:

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks the introduction of Patrick pretty much ruined this show. No fault against the actor - he's great - it's the way this character is written and the way the show just begs us to be so smitten with this conflict-free, fantasy of a relationship that just kills it all for me. Look, I get that this is meant to be a light, warm-and-fuzzy, love-based show. And I felt like that worked well when the Roses still had a slight edge of vinegar to them, and they served as a gentle foil to the town (and vice-versa) - but, at this point, everyone is getting along, everyone loves each other, there are zero dramatic stakes and absolutely nothing happens in each episode. Because the characters have all essentially "grown," there's really nowhere else for them to go. And I personally will always find a wedding story-line boring - whether it's reality TV, dramatic storytelling or comedic storytelling - I can't drum up interest in it. And especially the way they're playing this - it's like a light comedy version of "The Bachelor" or "Bachelorette." "Let's all be smitten and charmed by David and Patrick's ideal love story!"  I feel like other shows have done an amazing job of giving us truly loving partnerships while also being honest about the kinds of conflicts that can put a relationship to the test - Friday Night Lights, for example, or even The Osbournes for a lighter example. Patrick is just this "perfect" guy who adores every single one of David's annoying quirks. To me, it's the ultimate of it there being no there there. It's a never-ending repeat of Patrick singing "Simply the Best" to David over and over. We get it. They're in love. They're perfect together. They're getting married. Next?

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

Ha, I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks the introduction of Patrick pretty much ruined this show. No fault against the actor - he's great - it's the way this character is written and the way the show just begs us to be so smitten with this conflict-free, fantasy of a relationship that just kills it all for me. Look, I get that this is meant to be a light, warm-and-fuzzy, love-based show. And I felt like that worked well when the Roses still had a slight edge of vinegar to them, and they served as a gentle foil to the town (and vice-versa) - but, at this point, everyone is getting along, everyone loves each other, there are zero dramatic stakes and absolutely nothing happens in each episode. Because the characters have all essentially "grown," there's really nowhere else for them to go. And I personally will always find a wedding story-line boring - whether it's reality TV, dramatic storytelling or comedic storytelling - I can't drum up interest in it. And especially the way they're playing this - it's like a light comedy version of "The Bachelor" or "Bachelorette." "Let's all be smitten and charmed by David and Patrick's ideal love story!"  I feel like other shows have done an amazing job of giving us truly loving partnerships while also being honest about the kinds of conflicts that can put a relationship to the test - Friday Night Lights, for example, or even The Osbournes for a lighter example. Patrick is just this "perfect" guy who adores every single one of David's annoying quirks. To me, it's the ultimate of it there being no there there. It's a never-ending repeat of Patrick singing "Simply the Best" to David over and over. We get it. They're in love. They're perfect together. They're getting married. Next?

What the show was for me before Patrick was a show featuring one of my favorite platonic TV couples in recent memory and that was Stevie and David. They were just magic together. Since Patrick's arrival it has meant less screen time for Stevie and David and even less for Stevie. Huge mistake.

• Love 12

One question I've always had about the show is Are we meant to root for David? Or maybe Why do I have so much trouble rooting for David? He's a 30-something year old man baby with a personality many would find off putting. I get that maybe he's supposed to be a junior Moira Rose BUT Moira has worked her ass off for everything she has (she's a 9 time Daytime Emmy Award attendee after all!! CaCaw!!) Sure she's a bit crazy but she's working all the time. And Johnny Rose is working constantly. David pouts and is basically incompetent at everything until Perfect Patrick comes along and enables him. That store of his is just a fictional fairy tale. Unless he and Patrick are laundering money for the Canadian mob, that store would not produce enough income to support a day old kitten for a day.

My big problem with Perfect Patrick is his introduction to the show focused way too much attention on David and took away from the real stars of the show (IMO): Moira and Johnny (of course), Stevie, Jocelyn, all the Jazzagals. Honestly I would love a season of just Moira and the Jazzagals. Especially if they're all drinking Herb Ertlinger Fruit Wines and getting unfortunate haircuts.

They should have sent Patrick to Madagascar, or wherever, with Ted.

1 hour ago, PhilMarlowe2 said:

"Let's all be smitten and charmed by David and Patrick's ideal love story!" 

Do I remember correctly that David was the first man Patrick ever *kissed*? Now they're in a perfect, conflict-free relationship and planning the perfect wedding? Where are they going to live? In the motel? In Patrick's studio apartment? I have so many questions.

(I kind of wish the show would stick around for another season whence Patrick and David's marriage implodes from the unresolved issues like the wants kids/doesn't want kids one. (Also just IMO David would make a terrible parent. Nobody needs a selfish man baby for a parent.)

• Love 9
On 2/19/2020 at 11:57 PM, mledawn said:

Sometimes I honestly wonder if the Levys owe Chris Elliott money or a massive favour. 

In interviews the cast makes it seem like Chris is incredibly fun to have on set and just an all around joy to work with. So maybe that explains his constant presence. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Harvey said:

In interviews the cast makes it seem like Chris is incredibly fun to have on set and just an all around joy to work with. So maybe that explains his constant presence. 

I wish a fraction of that got to his character then.

• Love 12

Add me to the group of not Patrick fans. 

I adore David, he is my absolute favorite on the show. I have a huge crush on Dan Levy, I find him to be incredibly funny and oh so pretty. Patrick is just so bland, I get that we are supposed to think that opposites attract and so their coupling should work but for me it just does not. I honestly think David deserves someone with a lot more personality, Patrick has none at all. 

Even so I am sad the show is going to be over soon. Hopefully they can resolve everything before then. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I agree about not being a Patrick fan.  For me, it has mainly been that he seems to make fun of David and has snide little comments about things David does.  From the earliest episodes I have really liked/enjoyed David and have grown in my "likeness" of the other Rose family members.

• Love 2

I like Patrick, but I think he's mostly high on the thrill of having a partner who is a man and uninhibitedly himself, and that their relationship would not have a lot of longevity if it were real and not on TV. Wouldn't he eventually get tired of having to be the responsible, mature one all the time, trying to keep the business solvent while David assumes a business check is his own personal bonus and likes to splurge on everything, etc.? Wouldn't it get exhausting to be married to someone who's so insecure and immature that he melts down over a minor embarrassing incident like wetting the bed? Shouldn't you be able to be more honest and open and comfortable with your spouse, and be able to just deal with the ups and downs of life together? Because you'd be amazingly lucky if nothing more unfortunate and embarrassing than wetting the bed ever happened to you. You should be able to trust that your spouse will be on your side and not think less of you over things that aren't your fault.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Patrick is awesome, the end.

The best moment in this episode was Johnny confirming at the end that the keys were in Moira's purse, and she just says, "Es un da kia pie fie."  Like, it's soooo close to being an actual collection of words, but she's juuuust drunk enough to miss.  Catherine O'Hara is a universal treasure, and we must protect her from all harm.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

I love Patrick and I love David and I love them together.   And I loved the juxtaposition of David/Moira with Patrick/Johnny at the end....our "designated grapes" lol!  Patrick and Ted have been directly responsible for the growth of David and Alexis and I can't imagine the show without either.  

• Love 9

Just rewatched this and I think it's one of my favorite of the series.  David and Moira drunk are hilarious, and I was amused by Patrick quietly shushing and chastising David for being so loud at the winery.  I adored the scenes with Johnny and Patrick too...it's nice to see him with someone besides Roland these days.   And the twin brothers kissing scene was so funny.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2020 at 2:05 PM, Giuseppe said:

I thought he had a brown napkin over his clothes, because of the pizza. 😄

• Love 3

When Patrick first came on the scene, I didn’t like him as a love interest for David because it looked like he was always standing back and laughing at David’s wacky antics. Not quite the “marriage of equals” a relationship should be. (It is entirely possible that this was the actor not being able to keep a straight face during a scene.) I still find him a little bland, but he does seem to truly recognize and love David for who he is, so okay.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:36 PM, zibnchy said:

Are we meant to root for David? Or maybe Why do I have so much trouble rooting for David? He's a 30-something year old man baby with a personality many would find off putting. I get that maybe he's supposed to be a junior Moira Rose BUT Moira has worked her ass off for everything she has (she's a 9 time Daytime Emmy Award attendee after all!! CaCaw!!) Sure she's a bit crazy but she's working all the time. And Johnny Rose is working constantly. David pouts and is basically incompetent at everything until Perfect Patrick comes along and enables him.

??? David has not been lounging at the motel eating bonbons all these seasons. He has outstanding skills in retail, merchandising, and customer service. We’re told he used to run a gallery in New York. He was the one who made a long commute every day to work in that boutique. For his own store, he negotiates with all the local artisans for their products, and has created and maintained a photoshoot-perfect retail space. The one thing he relied on Patrick for was the paperwork—something most entrepreneurs farm out, or at least have counsel check over for them. Yes, he’s highly neurotic, similar to his mother. But he’s continually found ways to keep busy within his skill sets. 

Edited by ahisma
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
On 2/20/2020 at 2:20 PM, Elbow said:

I hated the scene with Johnny and Patrick. Hated that even in the wine scenes, without Patrick, they had to ruin the scene by talking about Patrick. Huge waste, again, of Catherine O'Hara to be stuck propping up David's show swallowing plot. And why isn't Patrick's family welcoming David into their lives? 

Wish the whole episode had been about Alexis and the girls and the cult. That would've been funny and worth watching. 

On 2/22/2020 at 9:38 PM, Elbow said:

I would like to recut the series, from Patrick's introduction, to remove every second of his screen time and every mention of him. Eradicated! 

On 2/23/2020 at 1:38 PM, PhilMarlowe2 said:

On 2/23/2020 at 2:25 PM, juno said:

What the show was for me before Patrick was a show featuring one of my favorite platonic TV couples in recent memory and that was Stevie and David. They were just magic together. Since Patrick's arrival it has meant less screen time for Stevie and David and even less for Stevie. Huge mistake.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, zibnchy said:

One question I've always had about the show is Are we meant to root for David? Or maybe Why do I have so much trouble rooting for David? He's a 30-something year old man baby with a personality many would find off putting. I get that maybe he's supposed to be a junior Moira Rose BUT Moira has worked her ass off for everything she has (she's a 9 time Daytime Emmy Award attendee after all!! CaCaw!!) Sure she's a bit crazy but she's working all the time. And Johnny Rose is working constantly. David pouts and is basically incompetent at everything until Perfect Patrick comes along and enables him. That store of his is just a fictional fairy tale. Unless he and Patrick are laundering money for the Canadian mob, that store would not produce enough income to support a day old kitten for a day.

My big problem with Perfect Patrick is his introduction to the show focused way too much attention on David and took away from the real stars of the show (IMO): Moira and Johnny (of course), Stevie, Jocelyn, all the Jazzagals. Honestly I would love a season of just Moira and the Jazzagals. Especially if they're all drinking Herb Ertlinger Fruit Wines and getting unfortunate haircuts.

They should have sent Patrick to Madagascar, or wherever, with Ted.

Do I remember correctly that David was the first man Patrick ever *kissed*? Now they're in a perfect, conflict-free relationship and planning the perfect wedding? Where are they going to live? In the motel? In Patrick's studio apartment? I have so many questions.

(I kind of wish the show would stick around for another season whence Patrick and David's marriage implodes from the unresolved issues like the wants kids/doesn't want kids one. (Also just IMO David would make a terrible parent. Nobody needs a selfish man baby for a parent.)

On 2/26/2020 at 7:43 PM, Miss Molly said:

Eugene has mentioned before that Chris Elliott is the one person who constantly cracks him up.  I just don't get it.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:12 AM, nomodrama said:

Add me to the group of not Patrick fans. 

I adore David, he is my absolute favorite on the show. I have a huge crush on Dan Levy, I find him to be incredibly funny and oh so pretty. Patrick is just so bland, I get that we are supposed to think that opposites attract and so their coupling should work but for me it just does not. I honestly think David deserves someone with a lot more personality, Patrick has none at all. 

Even so I am sad the show is going to be over soon. Hopefully they can resolve everything before then. 

I love this show but to me there is now two turds in the punch bowl:

• Chris Elliot
  • Patrick

There are so many talented and funny people in Canada...why the Hell do we have to be subjected to Chris Elliot? They have pushed better more nuanced characters aside and have gone all in on him this season. I hate the actor and I hate his idiot character who is never funny.

The actor that plays Patrick seems nice enough. However, I literally fast forward through all the David and Patrick scenes because they are always the same. David acts ridiculous and Patrick beams at him with benevolent amusement.

I love David around every other character...like Moira, Stevie. and Alexis but it is almost like Dan has to fill the scene with extraness because Patrick might as well be a mannequin.

Who in Halifax thought it was a good idea to fill the last season with tons of Patrick and Roland but give us very little Ted?

• Love 1
On 10/20/2020 at 5:02 AM, qtpye said:

There are so many talented and funny people in Canada...why the Hell do we have to be subjected to Chris Elliot? They have pushed better more nuanced characters aside and have gone all in on him this season. I hate the actor and I hate his idiot character who is never funny.

The actor that plays Patrick seems nice enough. However, I literally fast forward through all the David and Patrick scenes because they are always the same. David acts ridiculous and Patrick beams at him with benevolent amusement.

I love David around every other character...like Moira, Stevie. and Alexis but it is almost like Dan has to fill the scene with extraness because Patrick might as well be a mannequin.

Who in Halifax thought it was a good idea to fill the last season with tons of Patrick and Roland but give us very little Ted?

Totally agree about Roland--his scenes are almost unwatchable, and his presence is so unpleasant that it negatively affects the other actors in the scenes (and not in the way the writers intend). 

I do like Patrick's character but see your point about his scenes with David always being the same. A lot of couples do have a typical pattern of interaction that works for them, and I guess that is what they are trying to show here, but it would be more believable if Patrick at least occasionally showed real irritation with David.

I'd also love to see more Ted. Wonder if the actor had another commitment.  

• Love 2