Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Singled Out

ohjoy

In honor of Valentine's Day, Principal Glascott throws a "dating game" based on the show "Singled Out" where Lainey uses the opportunity to figure out her feelings. Meanwhile, Felicia is having body-image issues and Coach Mellor throws a workout camp to help her self-esteem.

Some of the episode guides I had read seemed to indicate that Lainey was going to resolve her feelings for Barry and CB, but it wasn't quite that clear.  We just got Lainey looking at CB at the end.  If anything, it came across a little like a "grass is always greener" situation.  Whatever.

It's nice that all of the teachers wanted to help out Felicia with her self image issues.  I liked Mellor's comments at the beginning, trying to keep "Aunt Julie" out of the dating contest.  And Glascott's enthusiasm about being a game show host.

• Love 1

This show really needs to shit or get off the pot about the whole Barry vs C.B. situation.  Part of the problem is that Barry is not a regular cast member (and I guess his Goldbergs schedule wouldn't permit it), so he only makes these occasional random appearances.  The bigger problem for me is that this show is supposed to take place after he and Lainey have graduated college and gone on to careers, but he still acts like the immature, goofy high school kid from the parent show.  At least Lainey has exhibited some signs of growth.  What made Barry endearing as a high schooler does not age well on a grown man.   

• Love 7

I'm not going to lie.  When Glascott redecorated his niece's locker with pictures of herself so that she could see how the world sees her, I teared up a little.  In my defense, I'd had a long day and was super tired (also, Unpretty always gets me in the feels).   

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This show really needs to shit or get off the pot about the whole Barry vs C.B. situation.  Part of the problem is that Barry is not a regular cast member (and I guess his Goldbergs schedule wouldn't permit it)

Well, I could happily get by without any storylines about Lainey's love life.  But I don't really like the Barry character, so I'd rather she go with CB.  Then again, we haven't seen what that relationship looks like onscreen, so who knows what it looks like?  Might be tolerable, might be hot garbage.

• Love 1

I actually DON'T want Lainey to get with CB only because I'd actually feel really bad for Barry.  I don't always love his characterization, but I do see a little growth and he has always really loved Lainey.  I guess I mostly wish they had never brought Barry back at all. 

• Love 5

So are we finally going somewhere with this Barry vs CB thing? It seems like we have been going back and fourth for ages, teasing that maybe Lainey will break up with Barry, but it hasn't happened yet, and I have no idea if it will. It honestly seems like it would be easier if she did. Barry isnt a regular on the show (being busy on TG), its been implied more than once on The Goldburgs that Barry would eventually get with someone else, and it just seems like we keep getting to the natural end of their relationship, but then just keep going! I dont dislike Barry/Lainey exactly, but it seems so played out. 

Of course, I am kind of into CB getting together with Wilma (even if she is into bad boys!) so what do I know?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont dislike Barry/Lainey exactly, but it seems so played out. 

Of course, I am kind of into CB getting together with Wilma (even if she is into bad boys!) so what do I know?

Yeah, I don't mind Lainey Barry and I don't mind Lainey CB, but I basically don't really care either way. I just want it over with! I hate love triangles because they always end up making everyone look bad or stupid or both. 

I am far more invested in who Wilma might hook up with. Her and CB would be a hoot. I know she likes the bad boys, but I wonder if she could bring a little bad boy out of our good boy CB. It could be fun to see him get in touch with his inner bad boy! 

I also would love Wilma and Mellor (I know he's got Nurse Julie but she's such a non-entity to me that I am not invested in their relationship). Wilma and Mellor would be challenging each other constantly and they both have such strong energy it could be fun to watch them battle it out. 

I really liked Glascott's final stupid fix for his niece. I think most girls go through the pressure of thinking we should look like supermodels and not appreciating that their bodies are their job and unless you want a job standing around in your underwear, maybe your strong, healthy body is better. I like that he got her to see not that she's "pretty" but that she is strong and that her body is perfect for the person she is and the things she wants it to do. 

So often this story line leans into thinking your body is "beautiful", reinforcing the idea that looks are the most important thing. This show actually went a different route and said looks don't matter. What was important is that Felicia's body was perfect for the things she enjoys. She is strong and she is healthy and she can do the things she loves with the body she has and that is what makes her perfect the way she is. 

It had nothing to do with making her think she was beautiful in a swimsuit and more about making her not care how she looked so long as she was doing what she loved. 

• Love 4
On 2/16/2020 at 10:50 AM, Whimsy said:

I actually DON'T want Lainey to get with CB only because I'd actually feel really bad for Barry.  I don't always love his characterization, but I do see a little growth and he has always really loved Lainey.  I guess I mostly wish they had never brought Barry back at all. 

Fair point.  I'm no big fan of Barry, but if he loves her as much as they have shown, he's probably going to get hurt.  And another problem is they've never shown any hint that Lainey isn't 100% happy with Barry.  If she moves on to CB, it just makes her look like she's moving on to the next shiny object, makes her look kind of cheap.

Of course, the way out of this is to have Barry break up with her, maybe he met some doctor lady.  Seems like bad characterization, but I doubt if that would stop them.

On 2/16/2020 at 8:43 PM, tennisgurl said:

So are we finally going somewhere with this Barry vs CB thing? It seems like we have been going back and fourth for ages, teasing that maybe Lainey will break up with Barry, but it hasn't happened yet, and I have no idea if it will.

Looks like they might be dragging it out further.  Because the description for next episode says that Wilma and Mellor are going to be helping CB move on from Lainey.