Type keyword(s) to search

Survivor 40: Winners at War Previews & Speculation

LadyChatts
  • Start Topic

I have read no spoilers, and this is probably way off base. I was thinking about the advantage in the challenge that the EoE people can buy to get back into the game. It costs one token and you can buy a maximum of three, right? I wonder if the advantage is being able to penalize another player, like Keith did to Chris, rathe than help yourself. That would work with multiples - you could penalize three different people. There are probably a million holes in that theory, but it is interesting to think about what kind of advantage you can buy.

• Love 2

Of freaking course we are merging next week.  We've had 14 person merges before, but no, not this season.

So names being thrown around-Adam, Sophie, Wendell, Nick?  

And sounds like either Ben is doing a terrible job of lying to Adam, or Adam is doing a terrible job of reading him.  

• Love 3

Oh my god, who is this Adam? The imitating someone else with the raised voice and the "blah blah blah" at the end is so bizarre. I knew someone who did that on mvgx, and it wasn't him.

On any other day, I'd think Ben is doing a terrible job of lying to Adam, but the theme this past episode seemed to be "Adam is off on his read of people," because he couldn't tell Sophie was lying, so maybe it's the latter.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Oh my god, who is this Adam? The imitating someone else with the raised voice and the "blah blah blah" at the end is so bizarre. I knew someone who did that on mvgx, and it wasn't him.

On any other day, I'd think Ben is doing a terrible job of lying to Adam, but the theme this past episode seemed to be "Adam is off on his read of people," because he couldn't tell Sophie was lying, so maybe it's the latter.

I actually really like Adam and Ben (ALOT), but they are both acting pretty childish as of late which bums me out.

• Love 1

With all of these names being thrown around, I'm predicting either Ben or Adam are in danger of going. It seems obvious that Ben and Adam aren't aligned and might target each other. 

• Love 2

Why do I have a sinking feeling that not only will Rob win his way back into the game, he would be "allowed" to bring Amber with her?

Yeah, I know, that won't happen . . . but between my current mood and Probst's eternal boner for his beloved "Boston Rob," it's an hard image to scrub from my mind.

• Love 2

So next week:

Adam gives some sarcastic over dramatic TH about someone falling in the fire.  I'm guessing he's mocking what someone said to him about tending to the fire.

Nick wants to vote out Sarah (who double crossed him?), but doesn't want her to find out.  I'm guessing she does based on that clip.

• Love 1

Sarah seems to get really mad at Nick for targeting her next week. My guess is neither Nick or Sarah goes at all, and someone else completely different goes instead. Unless the preview is spot on, and they become targets.

• Love 2

Preview for this week.  Guessing Tony's name gets thrown out?  Jeff said in his teaser this week that there would be chaos at TC.  I really that doesn't mean a stupid game of telephone.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Preview for this week.  Guessing Tony's name gets thrown out?  Jeff said in his teaser this week that there would be chaos at TC.  I really that doesn't mean a stupid game of telephone.

Thanks for sharing.  

I'm gonna miss Adam if/when he goes!  He is super entertaining - and more so when he and Ben go at it 🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Thanks for sharing.  

I'm gonna miss Adam if/when he goes!  He is super entertaining - and more so when he and Ben go at it 🙂

You think they would learn to stay away from each other, and yet, they always seem to be caught in some bad lie that causes the other one to lose their shit.  Reminds me of a sitcom.

So it looks like someone is throwing Tony’s name out, and we saw in the preview at the end of the episode that Nick wants Sarah gone for double crossing him.  Maybe he tries forming an alliance with her, she blabs, so that’s why he considers it a double cross?  

• Love 1
On 4/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, LadyChatts said:

Swear to god while I was watching that I kept hearing “Yakety Sax” playing in the back of my head....

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Swear to god while I was watching that I kept hearing “Yakety Sax” playing in the back of my head....

My daughters, who are 10 and 14 now, used to watch My Little Pony.  They had this scene using Yakety Sax which they thought was hysterical.  I tried to show them the real Benny Hill chase scene; they were not impressed.  😂

• LOL 1
23 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I've never seen My Little Pony, but after watching that scene I'm kind of interested in watching it. (and I'm 61 years old).

It actually terrific.  I haven't seen it in a few years, but I remember it having adult humor that goes over kids' heads - - kinda like Looney Toons always did.

(edited)

So next week, looks like more chaos at camp.  Will it be another easy vote or a big target?

And Kim said she's willing to go to the Edge.  For a minute I was wondering if she was actually volunteering to get voted off, but I guess she meant she's willing to risk her game for whatever move.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

So next week, looks like more chaos at camp.  Will it be another easy vote or a big target?

And Kim said she's willing to go to the Edge.  For a minute I was wondering if she was actually volunteering to get voted off, but I guess she meant she's willing to risk her game for whatever move.  

There was talk about splitting up Sophie and Sarah, I think. Who was the guy that wanted to split up Sophie and Sarah in the preview? I hope Sophie isn't in any danger. It's probably a misdirect.

Edited by TVFan1
12 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

There was talk about splitting up Sophie and Sarah, I think. Who was the guy that wanted to split up Sophie and Sarah in the preview? I hope Sophie isn't in any danger. It's probably a misdirect.

I think it was Tony's voice saying that, which makes sense since he would naturally want to keep Sarah as "his" ally and cut her ties with anyone else.  Though Tony himself has gained more allies with the meat shield group of Jeremy, Ben, and Tyson.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:50 AM, kstar821 said:

My daughters, who are 10 and 14 now, used to watch My Little Pony.  They had this scene using Yakety Sax which they thought was hysterical.  I tried to show them the real Benny Hill chase scene; they were not impressed.  😂

Well, THERE’s 238 brain cells I’ll never see again....  😉

• LOL 2

So I'm guessing next week is going to be billed as another chaotic TC, judging by the previews.  Looks like Tony's trying to make a big move, Sarah's trying to pull one over on Tony, and Tony tells Jeremy that everyone was coming after him (although wasn't that Tony's plan?)

Even though his leaving ended up not mattering, I wonder what blowback Jeremy might face from Kim/Denise/Michele.

And I have to think Jeff felt pretty damn special at the end when all the jurors came over and gave him a big group hug for letting their families go out to EOE.  Personally I thought something bad was about to happen, so thanks for that show!

• Love 1

Since the previews are usually misleading, I'm guessing Jeremy will be safe next week after being targeted. I too wonder what kind of reaction some players will have to Jeremy's up and leaving tribal council.

I liked the ending when the credits showed the jury rushing over to hug Jeff thanking him for letting their families come over to the Edge Of Extinction to spend time with them. That was nice to see.

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, I'm thinking possibly Kim, Denise, and Michele are in trouble since they were on the bottom (and Kim and Denise appear to have no one).  I'll throw Nick in there, because as of last week he was still a bottom feeder.  So those 4 seem like they may be in the most trouble.  But Sarah and Jeremy didn't seem happy with Tony this week, and Tony said 'if I can pull this off it'll be big' which sometimes translates into that person being blindsided out of the game.  Kim and her gang have nothing to lose and I don't know if any of them going out and making big moves on their own is going to work.

I have to wonder if Denise is sorry she wasted her idol on Jeremy.

ETA: Here is Jeff's teaser for next week, if you want to call it that

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-loved-ones-episode-10-interview/

We’ve still got a few other episodes to get to before the finale so what can you tell us about next week?

Am I dreaming? Can one season really be this good? Yes, it can! And next week, yet another layer is added to the world of Survivor capitalism.

Edited by LadyChatts
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Shut the fuck up, Prosbt.

You know, part of me wished he had let the kids and family members participate in a challenge.  With all his sideline commentary that we hate, one of those kids might have finally uttered these very words to him and told him where to shove it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

You know, part of me wished he had let the kids and family members participate in a challenge.  With all his sideline commentary that we hate, one of those kids might have finally uttered these very words to him and told him where to shove it.

One of Jeremy's kids almost certainly would have so yea, missed opportunity there!

• Love 2
(edited)

ONE CASTAWAY PLAYS DOUBLE AGENT AND GOES UNDERCOVER TO INFILTRATE A GROUP THEY WANT TO VOTE OUT, ON “SURVIVOR,” WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22

“This Is Extortion” – One castaway plays double agent and goes undercover to infiltrate a group they want to vote out. Also, one player who has been playing it cool finally goes to work to search for an idol, on SURVIVOR: WINNERS AT WAR, Wednesday, April 22 (8:00-9:01 PM, ET/PT).

Here's the episode description for this week.  I'm thinking this all applies to Tony, based on the preview at the end of last nights ep.  Or maybe the person playing double agent is what we saw Sarah talking about when she said Tony can't know (or something to that effect).  So maybe she's trying to figure out who the other side is voting for.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Next week:

Sarah is understandably pissed at Tony for blindsiding Sophie and blowing up her game.  And Tony finds a spy shack, up in a tree. 

And Kim wants to make a move in voting off Tony.  We'll see how the goes.  

So the vote tonight was Tony/Nick/Jeremy/Michele vs Sarah/Denise/Kim/Ben/Sophie.  So we are basically at a 4/4 split.  Denise and Kim only went along with that side due to the numbers.  So we'll see next week if this backfires on Tony or not.  At this point, Jeremy has no reason to trust Denise or Kim, and he doesn't seem to like Ben.  In addition, the other side did vote for Michele, though she seems more likely to go with whatever side has the better odds for her game.  And I don't know if Ben would turn on Tony, especially if he finds out that Jeremy was told they (Kim and Denise) said they were going to vote for him.

Just trying to think ahead to next week, and what might happen.  Sarah will probably try and turn the tables, partly for being pissed, but also because of all the talk of resume building.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So the vote tonight was Tony/Nick/Jeremy/Michele vs Sarah/Denise/Kim/Ben/Sophie.  So we are basically at a 4/4 split.  Denise and Kim only went along with that side due to the numbers.  So we'll see next week if this backfires on Tony or not.  At this point, Jeremy has no reason to trust Denise or Kim, and he doesn't seem to like Ben.  In addition, the other side did vote for Michele, though she seems more likely to go with whatever side has the better odds for her game.  And I don't know if Ben would turn on Tony, especially if he finds out that Jeremy was told they (Kim and Denise) said they were going to vote for him.

Just trying to think ahead to next week, and what might happen.  Sarah will probably try and turn the tables, partly for being pissed, but also because of all the talk of resume building.

Wasn't there a preview last week of Sarah talking to Kim and someone else saying something about not caring what Tony says that was supposed to be on this week's episode? Unless it airs next week instead.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

Wasn't there a preview last week of Sarah talking to Kim and someone else saying something about not caring what Tony says that was supposed to be on this week's episode? Unless it airs next week instead.

There was, and I was wondering where that was tonight.  So maybe they goofed and showed that part a week early.  It would make more sense next week for Sarah not to be with Tony.  

7 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

So the vote tonight was Tony/Nick/Jeremy/Michele vs Sarah/Denise/Kim/Ben/Sophie.  So we are basically at a 4/4 split.

Not necessarily. Everything we’ve seen lately indicates that “alliances” shift from episode to episode. 

• Love 5

Jeff's teaser for next week (noticing a theme for these this season):

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-tony-vlachos-episode-11-interview/

Again…A SPY NEST!!!! What else can you tell us about next week’s episode?

I wish we could just play it tonight. It’s that good. I can’t believe that I’m the person who gets to sit across from these players every night! They are absolutely killing it. Game-play at a level we have never seen in 20 years. We are in the middle of what will probably forever be known as The G.S.O.S.O.A.T.

Am I correct in thinking

Spoiler

Sarah Michele only has two more TCs in which she can exercise her Flip-the-Coin advantage?

Edited by Nashville
Spoilerized - just in case

It's Michele that has the 50-50 advantage. I'm not sure how long it has left, but it probably says in the Tribe Tracker thread.

I have nothing else to do so I checked, it lasts through the F7 TC.

Speaking of that advantage, when does it need to be played? Also, is it transferable?

• Love 1

I think it’s good until F7 TC - which, barring such things as EoE returnees mucking up the count, should be TC after next if I’m counting correctly. 

Doesn’t the last EoE returnee come back in at F5 (effectively making it F6, The Sequel)?

10 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Speaking of that advantage, when does it need to be played?

If I’m understanding correctly, when Peachy asks for idols to be played before he counts the vote - at which point:

1. Michele would stand up, say “I’d like to play this, Jeff”, and carry it to Adam’s Lectern of the Ludicrous.
  2. Jiffy would take the Advantage token, turn on Solemn Face #3, and study it carefully - no doubt to make sure it doesn’t get a stiffy on national TV.
  3. Jif would then pronounce the Advantage token genuine, and hand it back to Michele...
  4. ...who would then proceed to play ONE throw of tiddlywinks at TC.
(edited)

New preview for this week.  I think it's Ben's voice saying 'ya'll get paranoid', but I can't tell if he's actually saying that to Tony or if it's spliced in from a TH.  It's possible Tony is targeted this week, and Ben could tell him his name is being thrown around.

Again, shut the fuck up, Probst.

Jeff didn't want an all winners season to begin with (his argument was he didn't think there was enough strong female winners).  Watching this season, I think it's pretty equal on both sides that winners have been kind of weak.  So I'm wondering if his hype is just for show, since he can't outright say "this season sucks, don't watch."  I'll wait until the end to ultimately see how everything plays out, but right now this season is in the low-middle range for me.  Not a horrible season, but nowhere near a great one.  Of course, it helped that it followed two of the worst seasons.

Edited by LadyChatts
On 4/24/2020 at 5:22 PM, LadyChatts said:

Watching this season, I think it's pretty equal on both sides that winners have been kind of weak.

I always find this somewhat ironic because production has created a game where skilled, flashy and likable are, without massive luck, a death sentence in this game, and then oftentimes the winners that are left have to be spun into being more compelling. Production doesn't help by having an archetype they want to feature all season, which fits into those "rarely going to win" categories.

Watching some of S1 recently, Hatch (at least the tv version) has always been a smarmy SOB and I think she show benefited from the more realistic depiction. We didn't get a flag waving and an eagle screaming every time he came on screen (cough Westman cough Ben cough) and (albeit already being cynical and old when s1 was on with the accompanying tastes) I liked that love/hate dynamic.

So, yeah, s40 doesn't have a lot to work with that production would usually like to work with--hence 18 Tony talking heads last week and the implication that the rest as just hanging out with a fashion show instead of playing Real Survivor. It's a weird season because they aren't working with their usual casting preferences and can't edit together the usual formula.

So, long way of saying I mostly agree, but I hold production more responsible than the castaways. They are all playing to win but without a Colby/Lex/Cesternino/Rupert/Fairplay who is not going to win, but provides content or a foil.

• Love 2

But Production has always been that way. They have always highlighted the big personalities at the expense of showing the actual game. Coach, Russell, Philip all come to mind. It is like they can't stand showing the good strategic play. 

Kim, Nick and Denise are all very strategically sound players. We should be seeing more of what they are doing but we are getting the Tony show because TPTB are certain that we find strategy boring. Even after how well received David vs Goliath was. 

Sarah is a more strategic player but we are not seeing that from her, we are getting her Tony relationship stuff. 

Adam and Ben annoy me as winners because I don't think they played good games but won more because of their back stories then anything. They were not good their first time around and are not proving to be all that good this time around.

• Love 8
(edited)

So next week (two hours): looks like Ben might be a target.  And more EOE.

2 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Why is next week 2 hours? Anyone know? 

There's usually at least one two hour episode every season, where two people get voted off.  They haven't had one yet.  I'm surprised they are doing one so close to the finale.

With the COVID-19 messing up TV scheduling, I'm surprised they didn't just bump the finale until May 20th, and divide next week's two hour episode into two weeks.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Jeff's "teaser" this week.  Not much, except at least it's different from previous weeks.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-winners-at-war-episode-12-interview/

We’ve got five more hours of Survivor in the next two weeks. What can you say about next week’s week penultimate episode?

Ah, that makes me sad. I don’t want this season to end. Next week is a giant episode. Two hours. We rarely do two-hour episodes, but there was so much story happening we had to expand on the fly. And the finale is going to be nearly three hours. These players all deserve such giant praise. They played at a level that may never be repeated. Every single second of every single day. Whether in the game trying to stay alive or on the Edge trying to get back in the game. It was relentless. Keep your seatbelts fastened. This ride is not over.

I do want to make the argument that two hour episodes aren't exactly rare.  Every season has one, sometimes two if you can the premiere (and of course the finale has always been 2 hours).  And in regards to that, the finale has been going over the two hour mark the last few seasons, sometimes not getting to the reunion show until around 10:30.  I feel like Jeff is just trying to hype up that this is going to be soooo good that they had to extend the episodes.  I'm also thinking that the finale probably will run even longer this year, since they can't do the traditional reunion show.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm also thinking that the finale probably will run even longer this year, since they can't do the traditional reunion show.

I was thinking the same thing. If Tony's in the finale, they'll probably just add like 10 extra confessionals from him to kill time lol.

• LOL 1