Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: New Wife, New Life

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I think Jessica said she has something like 120 nurses reporting to her - IIRC, she is the nurse manager of a cardiac intensive care unit. With 10 years experience and a master's in nursing in the DC area, I think she is making at least $100K.

I don't have a problem with Zach not being attracted to Mindy. I don't even have a problem with him telling her that if he could do it 1) in a kind and compassionate way and 2) if he could just spit it out instead of rambling on about nothing for hours. BUT the whole point of the show is that love can grow even when the initial attraction isn't there. Initial attraction makes you swipe right (or left or whatever -I can never remember). Initial attraction makes you hit on someone in the bar. The show purportedly matches on something deeper with the belief that strong marriages are built on something deeper than initial physical attraction. Zach knew that going in but he's refusing to live up to his commitment to the show (and by extension to Mindy). He doesn't have to have sex with her. He doesn't even have to sleep in the same bed with her. But by refusing to acknowledge the marriage (won't wear the ring, don't call me "husband") and refusing to share a daily life with her (by living in the apartment together), he's not meeting the basic requirements of what he signed on for. He's a jerk. If he wasn't going to play by the rules, he shouldn't have signed on at all.

Well said. You can’t force yourself to be attracted to someone. But Zach needs to stop feeding Mindy his bs lines about “building and attraction” or needling to be away from her so he can miss her. And she needs to stop kidding herself that he’s the man for her. Is she even attracted to HIM at this point? I think he’s socially awkward which is why he rambles using corporate-speak. But if he can’t communicate clearly with his wife, what hope is there?

4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

You know, I think you've got it right about Meka.  God forbid you should say something the wrong way because she will never let you forget it.  I'm beginning to believe Michael when he said he had "expectations" of having sex on the honeymoon, but I don't think he meant "if there's no sex on the honeymoon I'm kicking you to the curb" the way Meka interpreted it. 

She also got on my nerves by basically making fun of him cooking, and having the frying pan and spatula on the stove although I did think having the trash can by the door was weird.   In any event, it's his place and she showed no respect for how he lived.  Plus, I wonder how great of a cook she is.

Michael seems nice but he strikes me as kind of a man baby being raised around women, so Meka was definitely not a good match.  I think he started crying because he's fed up with the whole process and Meka scares the shit out of him.  

They are both extremely annoying, but I guess I’m siding more with Meka because Michael drew First Blood. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Racj82 said:
16 hours ago, ShowFan said:

Went to college and saw plenty of guys’ dorms...never once without sheets or pillow cases. Now I’m asking myself if I really had the full college experience?

Yeah, that's not really a thing. That also involves lazy college people. How that equates to a grown ass adult I do not know.

I first started noticing it on shows like The Real World, which usually feature grown ass adults (who generally don't act like it).  I'd never seen people not use sheets before, even in college.

I wonder how often he does wash that comforter.  I'm thinking possibly never.  Yuck.

15 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I would never walk into someone’s house and start criticizing the placement of their trash can 😂

And it had a lid on it.  It's not like it was an open container of smelly food scraps.

It was exgtra amusing to me, after this week's episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which also featured trash can placement.

13 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I can’t understand what they are saying on couples couch most of the time.  Bad audio. Plus, each person seems to have their own tv....one looks to the left, one to the right.  Bigot zero compared to 90 day Pillow Talk.  Cheap knockoff.  

It makes me appreciate the production values on Pillow Talk, even though I never thought of Pillow Talk as having production values.  Just goes to show that everything is harder to do than it looks, and you don't realize it until you see it done wrong.

4 hours ago, Cammi said:

Well if he has never been in love Derrick is probably just saying how long he thinks it would take someone to fall in love. He has no frame of reference.

He may not have a frame of reference, but he has an opinion and an expectation that is diametrically opposed to the construct of the show he agreed to be on. 

2 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Anyone notice in bed on the honeymoon, Zach looked like he was always distancing himself and covering his face from smiling Mindy? Like he was recoiling from her touch but when she wasn't even touching him.

Maybe he was recoiling from her teeth.  People seem to have a big problem with them, and I think she's pretty but have to admit that she's more attractive when I can't see her teeth.

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I think that Meka is exhausting. She will never admit that there is even a possibility that Michael didn't say what she insists he said or that she could have heard something different from what he said. Bottom line -there wasn't an ultimatum because they didn't have sex on the honeymoon and he's still in the marriage.

That doesn't necessarily mean there wasn't an ultimatum.  It could also be that there was an ultimatum, but he didn't follow through on it. 

32 minutes ago, OnTime said:

It still say that was producer planted.

I have a drawer full of 20s.  It's more neatly arranged than Derek's, but I'm also the type to arrange bills in a wallet in denomination order. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, topanga said:

They are both extremely annoying, but I guess I’m siding more with Meka because Michael drew First Blood. 

I can't side with either one of them because they are miserable with each other, and miserable to watch.  I'll be glad when they end it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I’m starting to feel the same as you, about Jessica.  She made his bed and dug around in all his stuff.  She seems the type to flip out if you don’t wipe the sink dry after you wash your hands.  

I got the feeling that Austin was getting irritated with her through all of that.  She needs to turn it down a notch or two.  

• Love 14

I'm wondering if the pressure on Brandon and Zach to join their wives in the apartments is due to the contracts they've signed. Maybe they're required to commit to the filming, with some kind of financial penalty if they bail early. Otherwise in theory the producers could be left with all the couples deciding to bail before the ink's dried on the marriage certificate and then there's no show at all and a shit-ton of money already sunk into production costs.

I love Austin and Jessica. They seem to genuinely like one another. I really hope they make it.

Derek is right to be concerned about Katie's level of commitment. But he also seems quite immature (as is she). I bet it's not hard for them to get on each other's nerves. Maybe Jacks the Dog will be the glue that holds them together, if she can get over herself.

Brandon seemed to be loaded. I think he has a drink problem.

Michael has issues, and that doesn't sit well with The Woman Who Will Never Let It Go.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I have a friend whose girlfriend (now wife, under duress) "forgot" to take her pill three times and they magically have three kids. My dumbass friend seemed shocked when I told him she totally did it on purpose. I am glad Derek was appalled at the idea of "accidental" pregnancy. I hope that means he'll be wrapping it up if they continue to have sex.

I hope that means he thought about every time they've had sex prior to that statement and remembered using something. And iirc, that's not the first time she's made a comment like that. He should be careful with her. She's the type.

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

But he DID say it.  He admitted saying there was an "expectation" of having sex on the honeymoon.  Why would he admit to something he didn't say?  

I thought he was saying they were discussing expectations about sex. The problem is, it's now her emphatic word against his. The crew let us down with this. They wouldn't let Brandon go get a drink without following him but they didn't record this crucial plane conversation? For shame. 

@Neurochick I also hadn't heard that term but I will definitely be looking into it. Interesting. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I can't side with either one of them because they are miserable with each other, and miserable to watch.  I'll be glad when they end it.

Both of above (kind of) for me.  I still feel Meka is being truthful because there was no reason to start anything with someone she barely knew unless that someone she barely knew gave her a sex ultimatum, of all things, which would piss me off to the point I'd be a lot less civil nor would I be hugging away his obvious guilt. She repeated exactly what she heard, that he wanted sex before the honeymoon was over or he was out. I find that very clear & understandable. He also never originally denied it, although now he is; his story is changing & the tears are flowing- way to play the victim there baby boy. He makes me ill to watch. 

I'm also sick of Michael's blatant (& constant) self-promotion. He was the one to walk out on her & spend most of his honeymoon alone doing business & bragging about it on screen with not his wife, but other strangers. Then spend more time with Cal discussing his favorite subject - himself & his achievements & dreams. I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this pitiful asshole. Yes, she's annoying, but that doesn't make me doubt her. He's a tool. They are horrible to watch together. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Zack thinks he’s God’s gift so he must have expected to get a real hottie instead of a real woman.  His wife is not the prettiest nor does she have a banging bod but she’s a class act, if a little needy.  He’ll stay on the show because he wants his 15minutes, or maybe he thinks he’ll be discovered.  What he’ll be discovered for is being a shallow superficial dumb jerk.  If Mindy had a backbone, she would have already kicked him to the curb.  

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Did Katie and Derek have any financial discussions like the other couples? 

I wouldn't call a "financial discussion" asking who makes more money.  Pull out Dallas Bobby's spending spreadsheet and then have a discussion.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

I wouldn't call a "financial discussion" asking who makes more money.  Pull out Dallas Bobby's spending spreadsheet and then have a discussion.

I misread this at first and thought you were saying his nickname is "Pull out Dallas Bobby" and I thought, "But he got Danielle pregnant right away!! Derek should definitely not follow his lead!!" 😂

• LOL 15
  • Love 2

I think he’s socially awkward which is why he rambles using corporate-speak. 

I think he's someone who uses lots and lots of words when he wants to sound smart.

I still feel Meka is being truthful because there was no reason to start anything with someone she barely knew unless that someone she barely knew gave her a sex ultimatum, of all things, which would piss me off to the point I'd be a lot less civil nor would I be hugging away his obvious guilt. She repeated exactly what she heard, that he wanted sex before the honeymoon was over or he was out. I find that very clear & understandable. He also never originally denied it, although now he is; his story is changing & the tears are flowing- way to play the victim there baby boy. He makes me ill to watch. 

Maybe Meka wasn't starting anything. Maybe she was just wrong. 

I think that Michael has consistently denied saying what Meka said he was saying. 

If there is a record of this conversation, we haven't heard it. Until and unless that becomes available, this is he said/she said. I don't think that Michael issued an ultimatum about sex on the honeymoon. I think that he could have said something jokingly that she took seriously. I think that he could have said that he hoped for sex or that he always figured he'd have sex on his honeymoon or anyone of a million other things that got Meka's knickers in a twist. At this point though, what is driving me nuts about her is that she just won't let this go. She is going to hang it over his head forever and he knows it. Meka yammers on and on about how she can't trust Michael but why should Michael trust Meka? From what he has seen of her, she is constantly surveilling for his mistakes and keeping a careful record so that she can hold them over him in the future. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Before reading what will likely be some great snark, I have just two thoughts:

I cannot believe how stupid Mindy is.

I think Michael is a master manipulator and Meka should run away. He's a liar. I 100% believe that he said that to her about the honeymoon and his inability to admit to it and own it speaks a whole lot about the type of person he is. Not buying that those tears were legit. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

If there is a record of this conversation, we haven't heard it. Until and unless that becomes available, this is he said/she said. I don't think that Michael issued an ultimatum about sex on the honeymoon. I think that he could have said something jokingly that she took seriously. I think that he could have said that he hoped for sex or that he always figured he'd have sex on his honeymoon or anyone of a million other things that got Meka's knickers in a twist.

Then he could've/should've clarified his position instead of sitting there crying. Since she's brought it up he's had opportunities to do so but has not.

4 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

At this point though, what is driving me nuts about her is that she just won't let this go.

Well if she has reason to believe he's a liar that would explain her continued concerns. Again, he's had several opportunities, including in front of Cal, to clear the situation up & move on with her.

7 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

She is going to hang it over his head forever and he knows it.

He has never given her or the audience a clear explanation.  Stick a fork in them, there's no forever here.

• Love 10
On 2/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I think we’re all giving the show too much credit . Mindy looks so checked out and I guarantee she would be zooming out of that marriage if it weren’t for the contract making her stay . 

im so confused with Derek . He seemed so into Katie on the honeymoon but he seems to be back tracking . 

It is very confusing, we have seen all the couples even Mindy and Zach have some nice moments together.  I have always felt that she is just not into him.  I had also been waiting for something  on Kate and her past romance to pop up 🙄 Three of the guys should probably never have been cast on this show, they are too damaged IMO.  I was quite taken aback when Michael started crying especially because he comes across as so aloof and chill most of the time.  It’s been a pretty pathetic season for the most part.

Edited by endure
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I will stick up for couples couch since I never see anyone else doing it.

1. Jephte is fucking hilarious. He just really is. I also love what him and Shawniece bring to this because they had all the issues and more but made it out the other side. So, they are more insightful in many ways.

2. Bobby us supper catty and I love it. He just not about the bs but also noticing small things like Mike wearing that red shirt a lot.

3. They pick up on the same things we do but in some ways they verbalize better. I love little things like from scene one with Derek and Katie, they felt phony to them. Like they really weren't giving and that seems to have played out.

Bobby and Danielle are the only ones with shit audio for me. My tv is loud but they sound muffled.

I don't mind couples couch either, but I have a really hard time understanding Jephte and have to rewind a couple of times. Bobby is very funny.

20 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I don’t think Zach is just not physically attracted to Mindy . I think he thinks she’s annoying too. He should’ve never signed up for this show . He has put zero effort into anything and he made up his mind about her when she walked down the isle . If you’re not open minded , this show isn’t for you . I don’t blame Zack for not being attracted to her and for knowing that he won’t be able to move past that . Frankly , I wouldn’t be attracted to her either . But I also would never agree to be on a show like this . I personally need to actually know my husbands name and what he looks like before I marry him . Call me old fashioned .  This is the exact situation Kate and Luke were in , except luke had even deeper issues . 

So I agree that it is more than Zach not being attracted to Mindy – I think he is actually repulsed and can’t force himself to try to form an attraction. But he had the perfect opportunity to express this to Cal and he still lied and said he wanted it to work. I have felt that way about people in the past and there is nothing that can change that feeling, and even though they may not be ogres, I think chemistry is a very powerful thing and there’s more to it than looks. Just to be clear, I still think he is an inarticulate, vain, shallow twit. I really don’t see a big comparison between him and Luke. First of all, at least Zach is not having sex with Mindy.  I think Matt and Luke are more similar douchebags.

Katie is incredibly immature, which is what some of the ‘experts’ were concerned about – I think it was Pepper who convinced them that she was mature enough. She just went off about still being attracted to the ex to get back at Derek for being honest about his feelings. I predicted this infatuation would wear off, but it could still grow into something deeper if they were willing to work on it. And I wonder how much relationship experience Derek has – we certainly know that he’s never been in love… I really don’t think they have that much in common, though.

Meka sounds like she would be a very hard person to live with. And something is not right with Michael and why he just can't say what he actually said or at least what he meant to say. Meka is never going to let this go.

It is becoming clearer that Brandon has a substance abuse issue, as well as emotional ones. Maybe he is self medicating for his anxiety and/or depression. Not uncommon. Regardless, his behaviour is dickish and abusive. 

• Love 20
21 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Derek needs to dump Katie on D-Day. She is drawn to her former flame, and there's no denying it. 

Moreover, she is acting like she was forced onto this show and into this marriage, so she has shown herself to be a total emotional fraud towards Derek.

Eat cake and have it, too. Not possible, Katie old girl. 

Katie needs to get some therapy and figure out why, when she has married what seems to be an OK guy, she's drawn to someone who only wants her when he can't have her.

• Love 21
15 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Katie needs to get some therapy and figure out why, when she has married what seems to be an OK guy, she's drawn to someone who only wants her when he can't have her.

Exactly, Katie's ex will dump her once again as soon as she is available again.  He only wants what he can't have.  It is not fair to her husband that she is really not available emotionally.  There are already enough issues for these couples to overcome than their spouse still being in love with someone else! She should have been eliminated from being eligible from the "match" pool. 

• Love 15
22 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Free Michael at this point. After the spice/cooking conversation I realized that Meka is one of those people that hold you to your EXACT wording. Because Michael said he doesn’t cook she took that to mean he doesn’t cook anything at all ever. So when he suggested buying spices she was questioning what the hell he wanted them for. I can imagine that she took something he said on the plane the wrong way but she cannot ever be wrong so she’s standing by her interpretation. She is EXTREMELY critical. Much worse than Jasmine and that ain’t a good look. How in the world does she think she could be a CEO with those micromanaging standards? Hostile work environment lawsuits waiting to happen. 

Meka is too rigid.  She thinks that will make her become a CEO but instead it will keep her in a low level position that requires rigidity. High-level managers need to be flexible and have a high level of emotional intelligence she doesn't have it. I think she'll have a lot of problems with any kind of deep relationships because she really really believes she's right about everything and she's an average Person at best. She doesn't even know what she doesn't now. I don't like Michael and I think he is deceitful and has some severe problems but I don't think any kind of body could make it with Meka unless they just picked her for themselves because they like abuse.  I don't see how she could be fun to be with.  

10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I would never want to be matched with a conventionally hot guy ( He’s not my type but I think most people would think he’s good looking off the bat.) Set me you with an Austin any day of the week over this guy who thinks he’s the prettiest guy in the world .

i love Derek but I do think it’s very immature to put a time on when you can fall in love with someone . Not everyone falls in love at 6 months or a year . Why can’t it just happen when you feel it ? 

I like Derek and I think that he genuinely was hoping that this would be magic. But if you've never been in love before maybe you'll never be in love. Maybe you're just missing something in your DNA. I do think it's very odd at his age not to pad someone that he thought he was in love with.  That doesn't preclude him getting married for a pragmatic reasons with someone that he picks for that picks.  I just think it's really a hard thing to fall in love for the first time with someone that you didn't choose in anyway.  His wife is a stupid young girl that allows production to get her talking about being smitten with some ex-hook-up.  Lotta people think that marriage is so you're gonna have a lot of sex but actually that really cuts your sex drive. Marriage is for stability, maybe children, financial stability and social connections.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, ShowFan said:

Yeah..Pepper said Katie is mature because she has diabetes. Literally one of the dumbest things I’ve heard on that show and I listen to Zach’s word salad!

So funny ! These experts are such quacks . They’ll say they matched people and their reasoning is because they both like hot dogs . 

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
On 2/12/2020 at 9:42 PM, ShowFan said:

Went to college and saw plenty of guys’ dorms...never once without sheets or pillow cases. Now I’m asking myself if I really had the full college experience?

Austin did not have a sheet or pillow case on his bed when Jessica went to his apartment.  Said he never used them.

• Love 1

I can’t believe these brides going into all the guys apartments and bashing everything they see.  Katie and Jessica going into all their drawers and commenting about what’s in them.  Can’t a man have a little privacy?  Then Meka making fun of the whole kitchen in Michaels apartment and a clean spatula in the fry pan ready to go in the morning.  What are they, perfect?  Jessica looks like a tight ass.  Another one who has to have everything perfect.  They look like a bunch of fish wives.  I feel sorry for these guys.  No wonder there are so many divorces.

• Love 6

I just don’t understand why this show would cast a 26 year old man who has never been in love.   That’s a huge red flag!   Sounds more like he’s not ready for love/commitment.  Poor Katie.

I just feel like Meka’s and Michael’s storyline is heavily or poorly edited.  The level of tension and tears just doesn’t make sense.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:
6 hours ago, OnTime said:

I misread this at first and thought you were saying his nickname is "Pull out Dallas Bobby" and I thought, "But he got Danielle pregnant right away!!

Ha-Ha. I think that was the only time there was a semi serious discussion about finances.

It really doesn't help that they don't have to figure out a housing budget with those apartments. I guess the days of getting $5k a month are over.

• Love 4

Reid blah blah blah ABsolutely blah blah Casa Reid blah blah blah Reid blah blah blah Mrs Reid blah blah blah ABsolutely blah blah blah mistakes Reid ABsolute garbage. Reid. 

Edited by Delta Blow
Needed another Reid.
  • LOL 14
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

How could you forget Iris opening Keith Manley's (indeed!) bedside drawer and finding the Costco sized box of XL ribbed double your pleasure double your fun condoms?

MAFS gold!

Iris was a damn fool. She was so concerned about the amount of condoms left in the box, that I don’t think she noticed the size.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Recap of next week's preview - 

Pastor Cal voice over: "Next week on Married at First Sight..."

Katie, opening door to the apartment, and greeting a group of people: "Well, hello!"

Cut to Taylor, opening a bottle of champagne: "Hey!" Friend: "Happy housewarming!"

Cut to Zach, greeting friends at a bar.

PC: "There are only six weeks left until decision day."

Cut to Brandon, hugging someone at the door to the apartment.

Cut to Jessica and Austin, hugging people in apartment.

Cut to Derek, toasting with a group of friends around the table.

Cut to Meka and Michael toasting with their group of friends

PC: "Our couples will see their family and friends for the first time since the wedding." (Unless you're Mindy & Mallory, haha).

Cut to Zach trying to keep a giant Jenga-type pile of blocks from falling over in the bar while everyone else watches and laughs.

Cut to Austin trying to throw ping pong balls into Solo cups and missing repeatedly. Austin: "Oh my gosh." Jessica: "It's okay, I'll carry the team." [Everyone laughing]

Cut to Michael in living room with Meka's family. They're laughing and joking and throwing up their arms. Meka and Michael are laughing and looking like they're relaxed and having fun. Meka in ITM: "It feels so good to be in my new house with my new husband and just enjoying our family and friends. We're, I think, in the best place that we've been since we've been married."

Back to bar - Zach says, "Hi, Mindy." Mindy: "Hi."   Zach: "I like your ripped jeans. That's fancy." (It's so cringey awkward) Mindy: "Yeah, great minds think alike." Mindy in ITM: "Seeing that he wants to hang out with me and my friends, it gives me hope. Maybe he is serious about making an effort in our marriage." (No, Mindy, he signed a contract. He does not want to hang out with you. You are delusional.) Mallory to Zach: "How do you like your new apartment that you don't live in?" (hahaha). Everyone laughs awkwardly. Mindy: "Oh, boy." Zach is looking lost for words. Cut to Mallory in ITM: "I don't trust him at all."

Cut to Katie talking to her mom: "He's pretty much told me, like, there's no way he will love me in eight weeks." She covers her eyes.

Cut to Brandon, sitting on chair in living room, being scolded by Taylor's girlfriend. "The way you handle this is what is going to determine how you're going to handle future problems." Brandon, shrugging and gesturing, "I'm not proud of it. I was embarrassed by my behavior." Taylor is sitting on the floor, watching. Brandon: "I lost my temper one day." Another girlfriend: "Was it ONE day?" Guy friend: "It's not cool, especially to another female." Brandon looks uncomfortable, unsurprisingly. (Good for Taylor's friends for sticking up for her and setting Brandon straight. He's going to be pissed though.)

• Love 12

I had another rough week with elder care issues, but just wanted to add my 2p on this episode.  I agree with so much that has already been said!

I think this episode and the entire season so far can be summed up by millennial over-disclosure.

Zach:  STFU about not being attracted to Mindy.  Suck it up and give it the ol' college try.  You signed on to give this person a chance, not bail the minute your dick doesn't get hard.  How shallow can you possibly BE?  I get it that she probably repulses you and you can't get over it, but dude, you are acting like an immature dickhead about this.

Mindy:  STFU with trying to get sympathy and just pack your stuff and go.  I get it that you're trying not to give Zach the ability to get off kind of easy and staying on the show might be due to contracts or whatever, but the way you're playing it you're actually looking more pathetic than sympathy-worthy.  Maybe you and Taylor should bunk together for the rest of the show, LOL.  Girl power and "we shall survive" would actually look much better.

Katie:  STFU about still being attracted to a previous boyfriend.  Anyone would know that's potential sabotage to any subsequent relationship and wouldn't say it even if it were true.  Anyone with any sense, anyway.  Like so what if it's true?  I was still attracted to former BFs when I met my husband but soon forgot all about them.  It's only been a freaking WEEK.  It's like she's looking for reasons to screw things up with Derek.

Derek:  STFU about a time frame for falling in love.  What is it with the time limits with these people?  It's no wonder this guy's never been in love.  At this rate he never will be!  Talk about dooming yourself to fail before you give the relationship a chance!  Love grows at its own pace.  If you aren't open to that you won't find love period.  Just a sign of his immaturity.

Meka:  STFU about every little thing you like or don't like in Michael's apartment.  Michael and the rest of the world don't need to know how you feel about where every little thing he has is, especially when the relationship is on such fragile ground.  It makes you look hyper-critical and petty, and pushes him and everyone else away, not toward you. 

Michael:  Should have STFU about his future investment in the relationship should they have (or not have) sex on the honeymoon.  How the F#$K do you know how you're going to feel after the honeymoon is over with or without sex?  Do you even know this person or your feelings for them well enough to predict that?  I still think this relationship was in effect ruined by that despite Meka seemingly forgiving it.

Jessica:  STFU about being bossy with Austin and looking for reasons to tell him what to do.  I kind of sort-of wonder if this and Meka's criticizing Michael's apartment wasn't at least partially producer instigated just to make both women look more petty and bossy than they really are.

Brandon:  Just STFU about everything, please.  Another one with the incomprehensible verbal diarrhea, just like Zach and Michael, except psycho and dangerous to boot.

Oh, and BTW Derek, fake guns are what gets people killed.  A really dangerous thing to own even in your night table.

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
9 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Then he could've/should've clarified his position instead of sitting there crying. Since she's brought it up he's had opportunities to do so but has not.

Well if she has reason to believe he's a liar that would explain her continued concerns. Again, he's had several opportunities, including in front of Cal, to clear the situation up & move on with her.

I think it's likely his being raised by strong women has left him with the default style of not challenging a woman even if she is holding wrong views, is biased or having wrong facts.  When accused he remains mute, and scores points for himself (internally at least) by keeping the woman holding the power.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, Ohwell said:

Pastor Cal annoys the hell out of me looking all confused when Zach is trying to tell him there's no chemistry.  I'm sure the "Pastor" has met some women in his life that he just wasn't attracted to.  

Any time Zach starts on his long-winded word salad, the listeners get that puzzled look. Because he DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING. I keep waiting for someone to say, "Hey, you don't make sense! Stop trying to use metaphors and sound intelligent! You are just babbling!" They even play the confused music- but no one calls him out. Mindy is still all about "making this work" and trying to point out his good qualities, when she really just needs to accept that it isn't happening and call it a day.

Taylor needs to cut her losses. She's attractive, she is ambitious, and she will be fine. I am not sure why she is being so nice to a guy who has shown his true colors, and they are not pretty.  He avoids any sort of conflict, he's rude and has a temper, and he is immature. Not marriage material.

Meka, Meka, Meka. She always has that disapproving expression like she smells something rotten. You aren't interviewing Michael for a job; you are married to him and getting to know him! Sure, it's weird to keep everything out in your kitchen rather than putting it in the cabinets. Trash in the entry way? Odd. But he's a single male. They are known to have behaviors that most women don't. Roll with it.

Katie is disappointed that it might take time for Derek to fall in love with her? They've been together a week.  I am not sure what her hurry is but I would be more suspicious of a guy who said he was head over heels at this point. I thought Derek might be that guy- who thinks she's perfect and is totally smitten early on- but thankfully, he's starting to become more thoughtful and realizes that this needs to grow. The old boyfriend issues aren't helpful. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, endure said:

we have seen all the couples even Mindy and Zach have some nice moments together.  I have always felt that she is just not into him.  

She did call him a "fucking dickhead." They really should just call it. "Fucking dickhead" seems pretty final to me, as does "I'm not attracted to you and don't think it would be healthy to live together."

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Watching Pastor Cal last night made me think that these experts really aren't allowed to do anything.  I saw Cal giving Taylor an out, he gave Zach and Mindy an out, but they wanted to stay.

I don't know... I feel like the "out" offered is always very tepid and sort of has an unspoken caveat... as in "Do you want to quit this? Because, you know- this is LEGALLY BINDING and love needs to grow. It takes time; get into your home environment and see how it goes. Married couples do live together, you know..." as if he is shaming them if they DO decide to bail.

A few random thoughts on this episode:

-Zach wearing his shirt inside out while he cooks his sad breakfast of unseasoned eggs

-Mindy's awesome friend whose potty-mouthed insults of Zach (loved it!) were not bleeped out when I watched it on demand

-Derek's "beach-themed" young dude bedroom with the money and fake gun in the nightstand

What kind of job does Austin do? He seems like the kind of guy who stays up late playing video games and isn't quite formed yet. I can forsee that she will get annoyed as time goes on and she's up at 6am to work while he lounges in bed and lets the sheets get dirty (and doesn't use a top sheet). She is starting to show her "managerial" side and I could see the gosh-oh-golly pal-like camaraderie fading as real life sets in.

• Love 6

Wait a sec, lemme get this straight.  Katie has a problem with Derek taking his time to fall in love, yet she's claiming to still have an attraction to her ex.  I wonder how she would feel if Derek claimed to always be thinking about his ex?

I really hope that Mindy does not cave to the pressure of "making this work" and pull a "Kate" and sleep with this creep.  Have some dignity and self respect, please!  I wonder if Zack has seen previous seasons and is trying to avoid Luke's "repulsed and dead inside" verbage.  I think he's used just about every other word . . .

Wow, this season seems to be imploding much earlier than past seasons (with maybe the exception of Mia's pre-honeymoon airport arrest)!

Edited by suzeecat
typo
  • Love 12

I think he is actually repulsed and can’t force himself to try to form an attraction. But he had the perfect opportunity to express this to Cal and he still lied and said he wanted it to work. I have felt that way about people in the past and there is nothing that can change that feeling, and even though they may not be ogres, I think chemistry is a very powerful thing and there’s more to it than looks. 

I don't know... I feel like the "out" offered is always very tepid and sort of has an unspoken caveat... as in "Do you want to quit this? Because, you know- this is LEGALLY BINDING and love needs to grow. It takes time; get into your home environment and see how it goes. Married couples do live together, you know..." as if he is shaming them if they DO decide to bail.

Exactly. Zach knows that Pastor Cal will give him shit about "growing in love" instead of "falling in love" and the standard speech about initial physical attraction not mattering. So he tried some other nonsense. It didn't go any further with Pastor Cal but at least he can say he's "trying."

Zach wearing his shirt inside out while he cooks his sad breakfast of unseasoned eggs

I think they do that when the shirt has a logo on it and they don't have permission to associate with that brand. Honestly, what vendor would want to be seen as endorsing this shit show?

I liked Zach's breakfast scene because his dogs are adorable. All the dogs on this season are adorable. Can we have a show about them? Think of the thought bubbles coming out of their cute little furry heads!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, ShowFan said:

Yeah..Pepper said Katie is mature because she has diabetes. Literally one of the dumbest things I’ve heard on that show and I listen to Zach’s word salad!

Interestingly, I have heard (and I am a healthcare provider) that often people who are diagnosed with a critical illness in childhood have their development arrested at that point in their lives. We used to see it in adults who had had heart defects at birth- it's as if, even in adulthood- their parents still treat them like the fragile baby.  Or, similarly, someone who had cancer as a teenager are stuck as teens who never progressed.  

Often, diabetes is diagnosed in early life. Katie mentioned that she's had it for ten years, if I recall correctly. Which puts her at her mid-later teens. Remember how Dad acted at the wedding? "She's my baby; you'd better take care of her." Parents of kids with medical conditions sometimes can't give up the protective role. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

"Fucking dickhead" seems pretty final to me, as does "I'm not attracted to you and don't think it would be healthy to live together."

I really wanted to hear some explanation about what specifically would not be healthy in living together.  That is a very particular word for him to have chosen, and I think the word salad he spewed for reply would have been fascinating!

23 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

I think Zach seriously believed he'd be allowed to stay on the show and in his own house if "Pastor" Cal swallowed his rambling BS. Cal asked Zach, point blank, if he wanted to continue in the marriage, and you could see in Zach's face that there was a possibility that they'd let him cut ties, but he'd not be on TV anymore. Then he said, "Sure." I mean, seriously..."How do I know I'll miss you if I'm always with you?" is what a guy says when he's not invested.

I also really wanted to hear his grand plan for how living apart from her and not having contact, will lead to him getting to know her better and miss her.  I wanted him to actually commit to that and defend it, recorded on teevee, for mocking into perpetuity!

17 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I'm also sick of Michael's blatant (& constant) self-promotion. He was the one to walk out on her & spend most of his honeymoon alone doing business & bragging about it on screen with not his wife, but other strangers. 

Although it was a jerk move to talk to the others about it on the honeymoon and not Meka, i really don't think he has been doing self-promotion.  In fact, from what I've seen, school systems don't want a lot of attention coming to their employees for aspects other than their job, and maybe even not that.  I don't see that what he was doing was trying to gain something in his field, and I can't fault him for the timing of finishing up the phone calls needed to finalize such a big job change.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:43 PM, Empress1 said:

(These are very generic apartments. I also wonder if they’re convenient for everyone - the DMV area commutes can be brutal.)

Have any DMV sleuths figured out where these apts are?  There aren't really a ton of multi-building tall apt complexes like that (the trend now is for mixed-use).  For a sec, I thought they were those apts at 395 and Seminary Road, but those are older.  And they're not the ones in Skyline either. 

Most of the generic scenes they showed were of DC, but I did see the National Harbor ferris wheel and several times they showed a road sign for Jefferson Davis Highway.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I feel sorry for these guys.  No wonder there are so many divorces.

I don't feel sorry for them. They all have their own issues too. (Well, maybe I'll feel a bit sorry for Austin, but he can & should speak up for himself as well).

6 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

I think it's likely his being raised by strong women has left him with the default style of not challenging a woman even if she is holding wrong views, is biased or having wrong facts.  When accused he remains mute, and scores points for himself (internally at least) by keeping the woman holding the power.

He certainly had no problem expressing something that upset his stranger wife. I think he's just a coward who can't handle when his words go wrong enough to make it right.

Many are saying Meka won't let it go, but Michael could've stayed with her in the honeymoon suite & worked it out, but he chose to leave. She also had an 'expert' in front of her so using a third party is a good way to deal with an issue, but Michael didn't help straighten it out then either. Meka is not perfect; I see her intensity & critical nature, but she's giving him a good chance despite whatever he said- she just wanted the air cleared. He won't do that, but she's still in it, so I'll give her credit for that. We'll see how this continues because I don't think this is the last of their problems during these 8 weeks.

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

She did call him a "fucking dickhead." They really should just call it. "Fucking dickhead" seems pretty final to me, as does "I'm not attracted to you and don't think it would be healthy to live together."

And she would still have sex with that "fucking dickhead" if he was willing. She has this tough talk sometimes but still has "hope". 🙄

35 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Although it was a jerk move to talk to the others about it on the honeymoon and not Meka, i really don't think he has been doing self-promotion.  In fact, from what I've seen, school systems don't want a lot of attention coming to their employees for aspects other than their job, and maybe even not that.  I don't see that what he was doing was trying to gain something in his field, and I can't fault him for the timing of finishing up the phone calls needed to finalize such a big job change.

By self promotion I don't mean for advancement, but for 'look at me', which is what he seems to constantly do, along with that also being a deflection tactic.

8 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Cut to Katie talking to her mom: "He's pretty much told me, like, there's no way he will love me in eight weeks." She covers her eyes.

I wonder what her acceptable time period is for falling in love. More interesting would be what Katie thinks is an acceptable time period for someone getting over an ex, after getting married to someone else.  Katie can stuff it.

50 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Often, diabetes is diagnosed in early life. Katie mentioned that she's had it for ten years, if I recall correctly. Which puts her at her mid-later teens.

She's got an obvious immaturity about her, which I could see being in that range.  Pepper is stupid for assuming a general maturity.

Edited by gonecrackers
general
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I had another rough week with elder care issues, but just wanted to add my 2p on this episode.  I agree with so much that has already been said!

I think this episode and the entire season so far can be summed up by millennial over-disclosure.

Zach:  STFU about not being attracted to Mindy.  Suck it up and give it the ol' college try.  You signed on to give this person a chance, not bail the minute your dick doesn't get hard.  How shallow can you possibly BE?  I get it that she probably repulses you and you can't get over it, but dude, you are acting like an immature dickhead about this.

I'm not going to quote your entire post, but yes to all of it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

Have any DMV sleuths figured out where these apts are?  There aren't really a ton of multi-building tall apt complexes like that (the trend now is for mixed-use).  For a sec, I thought they were those apts at 395 and Seminary Road, but those are older.  And they're not the ones in Skyline either. 

Most of the generic scenes they showed were of DC, but I did see the National Harbor ferris wheel and several times they showed a road sign for Jefferson Davis Highway.

My guess is they might be somewhere in Alexandria?

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Ohwell said:
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

My guess is they might be somewhere in Alexandria?

I'm wondering where they are also.  It seems like an older building that has been remodeled.

Guess they aren't getting a promo like The Westin did!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, After7Only said:

I just don’t understand why this show would cast a 26 year old man who has never been in love.   That’s a huge red flag!   Sounds more like he’s not ready for love/commitment.  Poor Katie.

Of course they cast a virgin in the past which was even more of a red flag.  It pretty much dominated the story line. Forget the couple's names.

I think Katie not being over her ex is even more concerning than Derek not ever being in love before. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5