Type keyword(s) to search

The Big Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Katheryn Winnick To Star In David E. Kelley’s PI Drama Series ‘The Big Sky’ On ABC

Written by Kelley, The Big Sky is based on The Highway, the first book in C.J. Box’s Cassie Dewell series of novels. In the procedural thriller, private detective Cassie Dewell partners with ex-cop Jenny Hoyt (Winnick) on a search for two sisters who have been kidnapped by a truck driver on a remote highway in Montana. When they discover that these are not the only girls who have disappeared in the area, they must race against the clock to stop the killer before another woman is taken.

We've got a lead!

Former Pitch star Kylie Bunbury has been tapped as the lead in The Big Sky, ABC’s straight-to-series drama created and executive produced by David E. Kelley....

Bunbury’s Cassie Dewell is an ex-rodeo rider turned private detective, Cassie is the junior partner of Cody Hoyt (Ryan Phillippe) at their firm, Hoyt and Dewell, who is eager to get involved in the case of the missing girls.

Based on the couple of commercials I've seen for this, is it supposed to be some kind of reboot/homage/tribute/rip off of Twin Peaks?

Also, this forum is name The Big Sky but all the commercials have tagged it as just "Big Sky".  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Based on the couple of commercials I've seen for this, is it supposed to be some kind of reboot/homage/tribute/rip off of Twin Peaks?

lol that's what I was thinking. The one commercial with the diner table and the pie is obviously trying to evoke Twin Peaks. This show is based on a C.J. Box character though. 

I've been seeing the commercials for this show and intended to watch mostly because of the scenery, but I had no idea this was based on C.J. Box's books.  I've read every single one of the Joe Pickett books but I've never read any of these Cassie ones.  May pick them up.

I do wish we had a show or movie on Joe Pickett.  Great character, great series.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I read the first few Joe Pickett books but found them to be on the boring side, tbh, so never continued on with the series. I find it hard to believe that the author could ever write something Twin Peak-ish but maybe his style evolved over the course of the series.  I'll be checking this out in any case. 

Figured the sheriff (or whatever he was) as the bad guy during the argument with his discontented wife. I'm pretty sure the prostitute is trans, too, although I'm not sure we're supposed to know that. I was actually expecting her to put up a better fight in the truck than she did. Also, the 2 teen girls were so annoying, i was having trouble caring about their abduction.

So a tiny town in MONTANA has a large storefront location for a PRIVATE DETECTIVE AGENCY, which employs at least 4 people?? Come on.

If it weren't for the lack of new TV (other than stupid game and reality shows), I wouldn't bother watching this again.

• Love 1

I love C.J. Box's books, all of them, especially the Joe Pickett series.  I'll be watching this series Big Sky, which is based upon his The Highway quartet series featuring character Cassie Dewell.  I like her in the books, but so far I don't really like this Cassie, probably because she was sleeping the Jenny Hoyt's husband, Coyt.  Her excuse that she thought the married couple "were done" albeit only separated, doesn't fly with me, especially since she already knows Jenny and could have checked with her first.  It's a small town in Montana, not the bustling big city where people get lost in the crowd or don't know each other as in a small town where everyone knows everyone else's business.

And, the scenery!

• Love 1

‘Big Sky’ Premiere Soars To 14.7 Million Viewers In Multiplatform+35

Big Sky - Episode 6 - The Wolves Are Always Out for Blood -  Jan. 26

156472_1420.jpg

Spoiler

“The Wolves Are Always Out for Blood” – After Jenny and Cassie learn the truth about Cody’s fate, they decide to officially team up to track down Ronald. Elsewhere, Merrilee grapples with the fact that she didn’t truly know her husband, while Helen learns more about her son’s recent activities when “Big Sky” returns TUESDAY, JAN. 26 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EST), on ABC. 

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

https://ew.com/tv/big-sky-producers-tease-spring-return-watch-the-first-trailer/

Article about the upcoming second half of the season.  So it seems like Episode 10 is a standalone episode.  Wondering if it is going to wrap up Ronald's storyline or leave him free for a potential Season 2.  The remaining episodes are based on "The Bitterroots", which is actually the fourth book in the Cassie Dewell series of books.  "The Highway" was the first and I guess the show is leaving books 2 and 3 for potential future seasons?

Seems like a completely new cast except for Cassie and Jenny.

• Useful 1

‘Big Sky’: Michelle Veintimilla & Sebastian Roché Join David E. Kelley’s ABC Drama Series As Recurring

image.thumb.png.2fd641f173032d0d2084e92383bdf969.png

Michelle Veintimilla will play Rosie Amaya, the tough as nails daughter of Gil Amaya, the Kleinsasser family’s ranch manager. Rosie grew up close to Blake Kleinsasser, who taught her the ropes of cattle-ranching. Rosie will play a pivotal role in Dewell and Hoyt’s investigation into Lochsa county and unraveling its darkest secrets.

Sebastian Roché will portray Sheriff Wagy, the polite and parochial Lochsa County Sheriff. A small-town cop whose sense of worth is dependent on the power wielded by the badge and gun. Despite Wagy’s apparent hospitality, Cassie and Jenny question his motives and efforts to obstruct their investigation at every turn.

• Useful 3
43 minutes ago, FrankOFoley said:

Renewed for season 2. https://tvline.com

Good news... but they had to have filmed the final three episodes before knowing whether they would be renewed or not.  So I'm hoping they did the safe thing and wrote a finality to the Ronald storyline.  This character has run his course.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, TomandJerry said:

I hope everyone enjoying the series so far.  So this is going to more twisting story as we heading for season 2. 

I'll be watching, Ronald or no Ronald.  Even if I don't really like the two lead actresses and the regular ridiculousness served up, I love the stories of C.J. Box and some supporting characters.  Big Sky Scenery!

Big Sky Adds Janina Gavankar for Season 2, Promotes Ronald's Girlfriend

Bad news for Big Sky fans (at least the ones hoping that Ronald's story line might actually end sometime this century).

Ronald’s girlfriend Scarlet, has been made a series regular.

Jesse James Keitel, who plays the recently hired office worker Jerrie, is now recurring.

(Edit:  Jesse James Keitel is now a series regular on the upcoming “Queer as Folk” reboot on Peacock playing a trans, semi-reformed party girl who is struggling to grow up.)

big-sky-season-1-episode-10-video-ronald

Janina Gavankar (Sleepy Hollow, The Mysteries of Laura) has joined as a new series regular.

JaninaGavankar.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

In Season 2, Cassie Dewell (Bunbury) and Jenny Hoyt (Winnick) reunite to investigate a car wreck outside of Helena, Montana, they soon discover that the case may not be as straightforward as it seems. As they unravel the mystery of the accident, their worlds will collide with a band of unsuspecting teens, a flirtatious face from Jenny’s past, and a vicious outsider hellbent on finding answers.

Janina Gavankar will play Ren who is new to Helena. After a simple business transaction results in a messy car wreck involving one of her employees, Ren comes to town hellbent on getting answers. Now she must find out who betrayed her, but the more rocks she overturns, the more snakes she will discover. Ren’s moves are calculated and she strongly believes that it is best to keep your enemies close, which may spell bad news for Dewell & Hoyt.

Big Sky Season 2, will now be airing on Thursdays at 10/9c beginning Sept. 30th.

Edited by AnimeMania

‘Big Sky’: Jamie-Lynn Sigler Among 7 Cast In ABC Drama Series

Jamie-Lynn-Sigler-ABC-1.jpg?w=681&h=383&

Jamie-Lynn Sigler

Big-sky-recurrings-2.jpg

Top L-R: Troy Johnson, Arturo Del Puerto, TV Carpio

Bottom L-R: Lola Reid, Jeremy Taylor, Madelyn Kientz

Jamie-Lynn Sigler will play Tonya, who works as a waitress at a local diner. She and her boyfriend have big plans, that is until he mysteriously disappears. Tonya hires the services of Dewell & Hoyt to find her boyfriend, but she is withholding some secrets of her own. Like all of the women in this town, it would be unwise to underestimate Tonya.

Madelyn Kientz will portray Max, Cassie’s teenage babysitter (What happened to underutilized Cassie's father?), who uses her quiet cool and sarcastic wit to navigate the stormy waters of adolescence. Her close group of friends is a welcome solace from her complicated home life. However, the teens’ bonds will be tested when they witness an unspeakable crime.

Troy Johnson is Harper is Max’s brazenly confident, daring and opportunistic best friend. Harper works after school at her father’s struggling local diner. When she discovers an illicit way out of her difficult circumstances, her and Max’s relationship will be put on edge.

Lola Reid will play Madison, the third musketeer to Max and Harper and the “baby sister” to Bridger, but that doesn’t stop her from throwing her sibling weight around. Taking after her lawyer parents, she’s the most rational and pragmatic friend in the group. Madison’s composure will be pushed to its breaking point as her friends and family are thrown into danger.

Jeremy Taylor will portray Bridger, Madison’s precocious older brother. He’s close with his sister, who often has to rein in his impulsivity. Bridger lands himself in trouble when he tries to take the teens’ precarious situation into his own hands.

TV Carpio is Rachel, Max’s mother, a kindhearted woman, stuck in a rut. Despite Rachel’s drinking habit and her turbulent relationship with her boyfriend, Max is the center of her universe.

Arturo Del Puerto will play T-Lock, Rachel’s ne’er-do-well boyfriend, oozing with entrepreneurial self-confidence, especially when it comes to his myriad of “get-rich-quick” opportunities. Though he can be a loose cannon, and leeches money off a begrudging Max behind her mother’s back, T-Lock genuinely loves Rachel.

Logan-Marshall-Green-ABC.jpg?w=681&h=383

Logan Marshall-Green (How It Ends) has joined Big Sky as a new series regular and will play a potential love interest for Jenny, named Travis. An old friend of Jenny (Katheryn Winnick) and her late husband Cody (Ryan Phillippe), Travis has been working undercover on a local drug ring for long enough that the line between Travis and his undercover alias "Stone" has begun to blur. Travis will cross paths with Jenny, whose new case overlaps with his undercover work. While Travis and Jenny will try to keep their relationship professional, they have a shared history as well as unresolved feelings that will make their partnership both difficult and dangerous.

Edited by AnimeMania

‘Big Sky’: Vinny Chhibber, Romy Rosemont & Patrick Gallagher Among 6 To Recur In Season 2 Of ABC Drama

Vinny-Romy-Patrick-Gallagher-Ryan-Malark

(Top L-R) Vinny Chhibber, Romy Rosemont, Patrick Gallagher

(Bottom L-R) Ryan O'Nan, Michael Malarkey, David Meunier

Vinny Chhibber will play Jab,an outsider who has his sights set on Helena after a local crew of drug dealers threatens to break ties with his family as their supplier. Jag is Ren’s brother, and while they are both formidable opponents, Jag has a particular method of restoring his family’s power that clashes with Ren’s way of doing things — Jag is as thorough in rooting out the rot as he is merciless.

Romy Rosemont will appear as Agatha, who co-runs an animal rehabilitation ranch in rural Montana. Ever a calming presence, she believes in nurturing all creatures the same way she tends to her bountiful garden—with both love and a firm hand.

Patrick Gallagher returns as Sheriff Tubb, an honorable face of the “old guard” who has built an earnest career of law enforcement in Montana. Tubb remains a friend, mentor and near-father figure to Jenny and believes she has a bright future in combating crime if she can just be reined in.

Ryan O’Nan plays Donno, a bodyguard with ties to a notorious crime family. Though a menacing killer of few words, he’s also his boss’s subservient, frequently berated underling.

Michael Malarkey takes on Deputy Harvey, a pompous, self-assured cop who—despite preaching respect for the law—sells his loyalty to the highest bidder. A man who wears the badge to protect & serve himself. When Harvey gets into hot water with a criminal organization, he becomes increasingly desperate and unhinged.

David Meunier is Dietrich, the leader of a local crew of drug dealers who will go to war with their suppliers when a large shipment they paid for never turns up. As the war escalates, Dietrich will be forced to question the loyalty of his crew, and whether someone he trusts has been working another angle all along.

23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

‘Big Sky’: Vinny Chhibber, Romy Rosemont & Patrick Gallagher Among 6 To Recur In Season 2 Of ABC Drama

Vinny-Romy-Patrick-Gallagher-Ryan-Malark

(Top L-R) Vinny Chhibber, Romy Rosemont, Patrick Gallagher

(Bottom L-R) Ryan O'Nan, Michael Malarkey, David Meunier

Vinny Chhibber will play Jab,an outsider who has his sights set on Helena after a local crew of drug dealers threatens to break ties with his family as their supplier. Jag is Ren’s brother, and while they are both formidable opponents, Jag has a particular method of restoring his family’s power that clashes with Ren’s way of doing things — Jag is as thorough in rooting out the rot as he is merciless.

Romy Rosemont will appear as Agatha, who co-runs an animal rehabilitation ranch in rural Montana. Ever a calming presence, she believes in nurturing all creatures the same way she tends to her bountiful garden—with both love and a firm hand.

Patrick Gallagher returns as Sheriff Tubb, an honorable face of the “old guard” who has built an earnest career of law enforcement in Montana. Tubb remains a friend, mentor and near-father figure to Jenny and believes she has a bright future in combating crime if she can just be reined in.

Ryan O’Nan plays Donno, a bodyguard with ties to a notorious crime family. Though a menacing killer of few words, he’s also his boss’s subservient, frequently berated underling.

Michael Malarkey takes on Deputy Harvey, a pompous, self-assured cop who—despite preaching respect for the law—sells his loyalty to the highest bidder. A man who wears the badge to protect & serve himself. When Harvey gets into hot water with a criminal organization, he becomes increasingly desperate and unhinged.

David Meunier is Dietrich, the leader of a local crew of drug dealers who will go to war with their suppliers when a large shipment they paid for never turns up. As the war escalates, Dietrich will be forced to question the loyalty of his crew, and whether someone he trusts has been working another angle all along.

Lots of new characters... it sounds to me that they may be deviating completely from the source material.  The only character name I recognise is T-Lock.

I'm still debating whether to watch this season or not.  The fact that they promoted the crazy girlfriend to a series regular really is not inspiring me to watch, as I had gotten beyond tired of the ridiculousness of Ronald.

Joe-Pickett-Key-Art-768x1152.jpg

Joe Pickett is a new 10 episode drama series based on an (over 20 book) series of ongoing novels written by C. J. Box. Another set of C. J. Box bestselling novels was the inspiration for the hit TV Series "Big Sky". 

The first three episodes of Joe Pickett will debut Monday, Dec. 6. New episodes will continue streaming exclusively on Spectrum every Monday until the finale airs on Monday, Dec. 27. After it airs in it's entirety, Joe Pickett will air exclusively on Spectrum for nine-months before eventually heading to Paramount+ at some later date.

To see the TV Series you must have Spectrum Cable Service.

Patrick Gallagher, who plays Sheriff Walter Tubb on ABC’s "Big Sky" TV series, is this time playing another Sheriff, Sheriff Barnum. Sheriff Barnum is an institution in Twelve Sleep County who’s learned that enforcing the law is not so black and white in this place and clashes with the Game Warden’s involvement in his murder case and doesn’t take kindly to the implication that he isn’t doing his job.

Joe Pickett follows a game warden and his family as they navigate the shifting socio-political climate in the small rural town of Saddlestring, Wyoming on the verge of economic collapse. Surrounded by rich history and vast wildlife, the township hides decades of schemes and secrets that are yet to be uncovered. The area is suddenly swarmed by individuals hungry to profit off of the rich lands. The mystery begins when a murder victim winds up on Joe’s front doorstep and he and his family find themselves in the crosshairs of a larger looming conspiracy. Without the help of local law enforcement, Joe is taking matters into his own hands as he questions what it means to be a good man and father in a world that lives on the edge of the wilderness.

• Useful 1

To celebrate Live in Front of a Studio Audience where stars who are going live to show their love for two classic sitcoms. "The Facts of Life" reenactment stars Jennifer Aniston as Blair, Gabrielle Union as Tootie, Allison Tolman as Natalie, Kathryn Hahn as Jo, Jon Stewart in a mystery role, and Ann Dowd as Mrs. Garrett. Dowd's Mrs. Garrett pulls double-duty tonight, also appearing in a reenactment of an episode of "Diff'rent Strokes," joining John Lithgow's Mr. Drummond, Kevin Hart's Arnold, and Damon Wayans's Willis for the performance. ABC has released a number of 80s Retro TV Ads to Honor the "Live" Broadcast.