Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Something in the Water

• Start Topic

^^^

Yeah, totally.  There is no love lost between them.  Remember when Joe Giudice had all his friends over and drunkenly did a somersault and chipped his tooth?  He told his entire group of friends then that JoeGo was married to “trash from down the shore.”  

Damn Giuseppe, why couldn’t you have become a citizen, so that you could have come back home, kept it real about Melissa, and kept Joe the Nutless Monkey from complaining about how another woman (Jennifer) isn’t getting sex?  

Why is Joe so obsessed with whether Jenn is having sex anyway?  What an odd thing to get on another person about.  Whether she’s fucking Bill’s brains out 24/7 and he’s too much of a gentleman to discuss it on TV, whether she gives him blowjobs in the car, whether she doesn’t give him blowjobs at all a la Jackie, or whether they’ve never consummated their marriage and had all five of their kids through artificial insemination, why does he care so much??  

I don’t think Joe gets much sex, and if he does, I get the impression that it’s wham, bam, thank you ma’am.  I can’t imagine Melissa is interested enough in anyone but herself to be too interested in sex anymore.  Maybe she tosses him one when she’s drunk.

My theory is that Joe thinks sex is the great equalizer, so he thinks if he comes across as someone who’s having tons of sex, it will make up for the fact that he’s short, bald, kind of funny-looking, obscenely stupid, and likely poor (his own wife reports that their family is “losing” financially).

Joe Go has some really strange sexual stuff going on when you think about it.  Didn’t Teresa say he lost his virginity when he was nine, and he didn’t dispute it?  He has made genetic references to Gia, saying, “she got that from me,” which is creepy and weird, and displays no knowledge of procreation, his penis is named Tarzan, he refers to his semen as poison, he’s constantly asking his sister about her dildos and vibrators now that her husband is “away,” and he had this really weird scene when he and Melissa first came on the show where she was asking him to put lotion on her feet and he was trying to eat them.    He was constantly telling Teresa she looked sexy when he joined the show.  I think he could use some therapy about sexual boundaries.  He is really like an animal.

When Joe first told the story of how he met Melissa, when they first came on the show, he said he saw her in Cancun in a leopard print bathing suit, and he knew he had to have her.  Very base, very caveman.  And didn’t he make a comment about the Hamptons a few episodes ago how, before Melissa came around, he would go out to the Hamptons and get laid a lot?  Ok, fair enough if you were single, but to make that comment unprompted in front of your wife and sister is so inappropriate.  Who cares that he used to get laid?  Is that his only claim to fame?

And if Joe is using how often someone is getting laid as a benchmark of someone’s success, his sister allegedly hasn’t gotten laid in five years, so by insulting Jennifer, he’s really coming for Teresa, only all parties involved are too dumb to realize it.  Since Jennifer is more perceptive than she is given credit for, I think there’s a 50/50 chance that if it gets brought to her attention, she’ll make the connection and call Joe out on it at the reunion or whatever.  

He is really crushing to get his ass kicked.  

• Love 7

It is really interesting to watch melissa and joe in their first season again.  For one, Joe's attitude about Melissa, sex and what he is entitled to is pretty terrible.  He gets really pissed when she doesn't have sex with him, he publicly manhandles her, just to kick the list offm. It is disturbing.

It is also clear how the Gorgas twisted so much to make them look like victims.  Joe bangs the table, calls Teresa garbage, and charges Joe (Melissa got a few punches in there too if you watch closely), yet Juicy is at fault.  They surround themselves with people antagonizing the Giudices and use it to promote their victim agenda.  In their conversations with Teresa, they reallh keep coming back at her over and over again despite her saying that she is sorry, they have all made mistakes, she wants things to work out, and they don't budge an inch or take any responsibility.  It is masterful manipulation and really continues the entire series.  I wonder if they ultimately resent the fact that despite their years of effort, the majority of the attention they get is still because of Teresa and Joe?  Nobody cares about Envy or Joe's book, or Joe's poison or Melissa's failed singing career.  They do, however, like to ask them about the Giudice family.  That must burn.

And as for Joe getting laid in the hamptons a lot when he was in his 20?  Um..it's really not that hard to do.  Lots of people have a lot of sex during the summer beach rental season.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Aside from everything I said, I do admit bias.  I don’t like Gia or Frankie, but I especially dislike Frankie.  I don’t like his type.  He is exactly the type of guy who would want to go to a high school prom, which causes me to renew my objection:

I would think a guy that age, even if he turned 20 today and he was 19 yesterday, would tell his girlfriend he’s not interested in going to a prom, and she should go and have a good time.  What college guy wants to go to a prom?  If Frankie likes Gia, I think the classy thing to do would be to very nicely turn down the prom as something for which he is slightly too mature, but he would love to take her out to brunch the next day and look at the pictures and hear all about it.  

The thing is, it’s not about the prom.  I live in Jersey.  My daughter did her junior and senior proms a few years ago.  The pre-prom is nice and a big deal for us parents lol but the prom itself is only prelude.  Around here the kids go to the formal prom, dance a little, eat a little, then get in the limos and go down the shore.  For the whole weekend. Where they go wild.  As my daughter was honest enough to tell me after senior prom, and lord knows what she didn’t tell me. But there’s a lot of reasons why a 20 year old would want to go.  It’s not for prom. And to be honest, not too many are going to tell their girlfriend to go and have fun without them!  Especially here, there’s no “brunch tomorrow”.  There’s a weekend in Wildwood or Seaside and it starts tonight, right after the dance ends.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

^^^

Yeah, totally.  There is no love lost between them.  Remember when Joe Giudice had all his friends over and drunkenly did a somersault and chipped his tooth?  He told his entire group of friends then that JoeGo was married to “trash from down the shore.”  

Damn Giuseppe, why couldn’t you have become a citizen, so that you could have come back home, kept it real about Melissa, and kept Joe the Nutless Monkey from complaining about how another woman (Jennifer) isn’t getting sex?  

Why is Joe so obsessed with whether Jenn is having sex anyway?  What an odd thing to get on another person about.  Whether she’s fucking Bill’s brains out 24/7 and he’s too much of a gentleman to discuss it on TV, whether she gives him blowjobs in the car, whether she doesn’t give him blowjobs at all a la Jackie, or whether they’ve never consummated their marriage and had all five of their kids through artificial insemination, why does he care so much??  

I don’t think Joe gets much sex, and if he does, I get the impression that it’s wham, bam, thank you ma’am.  I can’t imagine Melissa is interested enough in anyone but herself to be too interested in sex anymore.  Maybe she tosses him one when she’s drunk.

My theory is that Joe thinks sex is the great equalizer, so he thinks if he comes across as someone who’s having tons of sex, it will make up for the fact that he’s short, bald, kind of funny-looking, obscenely stupid, and likely poor (his own wife reports that their family is “losing” financially).

Joe Go has some really strange sexual stuff going on when you think about it.  Didn’t Teresa say he lost his virginity when he was nine, and he didn’t dispute it?  He has made genetic references to Gia, saying, “she got that from me,” which is creepy and weird, and displays no knowledge of procreation, his penis is named Tarzan, he refers to his semen as poison, he’s constantly asking his sister about her dildos and vibrators now that her husband is “away,” and he had this really weird scene when he and Melissa first came on the show where she was asking him to put lotion on her feet and he was trying to eat them.    He was constantly telling Teresa she looked sexy when he joined the show.  I think he could use some therapy about sexual boundaries.  He is really like an animal.

When Joe first told the story of how he met Melissa, when they first came on the show, he said he saw her in Cancun in a leopard print bathing suit, and he knew he had to have her.  Very base, very caveman.  And didn’t he make a comment about the Hamptons a few episodes ago how, before Melissa came around, he would go out to the Hamptons and get laid a lot?  Ok, fair enough if you were single, but to make that comment unprompted in front of your wife and sister is so inappropriate.  Who cares that he used to get laid?  Is that his only claim to fame?

And if Joe is using how often someone is getting laid as a benchmark of someone’s success, his sister allegedly hasn’t gotten laid in five years, so by insulting Jennifer, he’s really coming for Teresa, only all parties involved are too dumb to realize it.  Since Jennifer is more perceptive than she is given credit for, I think there’s a 50/50 chance that if it gets brought to her attention, she’ll make the connection and call Joe out on it at the reunion or whatever.  

He is really crushing to get his ass kicked.  

I cannot like this post enough!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I think it’s so interesting that the scene of Gia and Frankie going to the prom sparked probably more discussion than anything else, and greatly outweighed discussion of Teresa admitting that Joe cheated on her.  It reminds me of how much discussion Jackie’s birthday party for her sons garnered.

I think it touches on so many things—finances, social norms, relationships, freedom, safety, expectations, traditions, etc.  So everyone has an opinion, rightfully so.  

Everyone knows my opinion—I think it’s strange for a 20 year old to be at a prom.  I don’t think it’s indecent.  I don’t think it should be banned.  I just think some things should be just for high school kids, the prom being one of them, although I’m not calling for a formal rule.  People experience things at different ages, and their exposure to certain elements tends to widen with age.

Let’s say half of the students brought a 20+ year old date.  If it’s a high school class of 500, and 400 are going to the prom, that is 200 people in their twenties gathered to party in the same room.  This completely changes the atmosphere.  There Is a higher likelihood of drinking on the way there, because of the access to alcohol. What are the chaperones going to do, strip-search everyone for oxy and tiny bags of coke?  Drugs and sex are just much more normal for people of that age.  Of course high school kids drink alcohol and have sex, but most of them are at a point where their parents can contain it, whereas most 20 year olds are operating outside the authority of their parents.  Gia is 18, yes, she’s technically an adult, but she’s bringing a man to a high school event where very many people who are rightfully there are under 18.  When I graduated from high school, half of the people were 17 and half were 18 (roughly).  And, if there is a senior going out with a sophomore, and he wants to bring her to the prom, there will be 15 year olds there.  I’ve never heard of a senior prom that was relegated to seniors only.  Certainly if Gia can bring a college man, someone else can bring their sophomore boyfriend or girlfriend.  But even operating off the seniors only, I don’t think it’s great atmosphere for 17 year olds to be hanging out with 20 year olds, the way it might be more ok if they went to a baseball game.  With proms, drugs and sex are always in the air, even if not everyone is preoccupied by them.  

Just to reverse the situation for a second—when I was 17, a college man took me to a spring formal, followed by a booze cruise, and, while I had a really, really good time, and (hoping my parents don’t read this 😱) I can admit now that I had no business being there.  There was an open bar at the dance, and obviously on the cruise.  Everything was completely different from a prom, because college people are different from high school people, and I’m lucky that the worst thing that happened to me was that I got blackout drunk and someone put me to bed.  And there were chaperones from the school there.  I’m not entirely sure why my parents let me go, but I would make a different choice if it were my theoretical kid—college students belong with college students, high school students belong with high school students, the lines often get blurred, especially in that summer between high school and college, so I understand there are no hard and fast rules.  But maybe that’s even one more reason to let the prom be primarily for high school students.  It will be their last time doing that.  

I’m just wondering...does anyone think there should be an upper limit on the age of the person a high school student takes to the prom?  Should a girl be allowed to take her dad? Should a girl (who is 18) be allowed to take a man she is sleeping with who is as old as her dad?  What about the eighth grade dance?  Would it be ok for a 13 year old girl to take a 16 or 17 year old boy as her date?  Is there any limiting principle?  (I am actually interested.  I’m not being rhetorical).  

—————————————

Aside from everything I said, I do admit bias.  I don’t like Gia or Frankie, but I especially dislike Frankie.  I don’t like his type.  He is exactly the type of guy who would want to go to a high school prom, which causes me to renew my objection:

I would think a guy that age, even if he turned 20 today and he was 19 yesterday, would tell his girlfriend he’s not interested in going to a prom, and she should go and have a good time.  What college guy wants to go to a prom?  If Frankie likes Gia, I think the classy thing to do would be to very nicely turn down the prom as something for which he is slightly too mature, but he would love to take her out to brunch the next day and look at the pictures and hear all about it.  

The type of adult man who wants to go to a prom is Frank Catania (Junior or Senior, take your pick).  A guy whose glory days are behind him, a guy who peaked in high school, so he wants to go back, hoping that all the girls will gush over him and be jealous of Gia, because her date is so “hot,” and he can be the big fish in the small pond for one night before his chariot turns into a pumpkin and the cutthroat real world returns, where life is grim, and, if you’re anything like your dad, you’re headed into a world of white-collar crime, lies, cheating, divorce and disbarment.  Frank Jr going to a prom smacks a little too much like Al Bundy reminiscing about his high school football days.  Move on, bro!

Well said.

I'm so glad my county school system already had a standing rule about non-students attending. It a yearly one-time school event - largely subsidized by class dues.  As a former parent who paid into class dues , in installments, I'm not trying to also pay for college students or grown adults who have their own social events going on - close to 24/7.  

I haven't checked every high school's (I'm part of a large system) re: the  upper age limit piece - but I think when mine went there was an upper age limit too for non-students.

For me - the high school Jr/Sr Prom isn't like a wedding - where no one cares who/what/where-did-you-find the +1 person. You don't even have to have a +1 at the prom.

I am not really attacking Frank Jr- maybe he was just the "family favor" by taking Gia. Maybe he had a free Friday night. Maybe he didn't go to his own prom. Maybe he wanted to see his former HS in a different light. I just think 2 yrs out of HS, surely there were other options on the table to do on a Friday/Saturday night.  Which also brings up the point - how does Frankie's current squeeze/temporary feel about all of this? The hot young woman in Econ 101 might feel a little different come Monday, if she finds out he spent the weekend at the HS prom..😒

I still would like to see pictures of them at the actual prom (yes - fuzzy out other students faces) and post prom, where ever that was. All I know is Frank Jr took Gia to the prom.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Eh, now that I recall, my BF was 20 at my prom. I'd been with him for 3 years at that point so of course he was my date (and, today, 100 years later, thank goodness, is not, hahahhaaa!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 4

In this episode Teresa talked about "how hard she has to work" and she goes to "work" everyday. She also talked about all the "businesses" she has that are getting hurt by what's happened to her and Joe with going to prison . Question: WTF is she talking about? Where does she go to "work" everyday and what "businesses" of hers are taking a hit from their combined prison stints? Just asking....

• LOL 1
On 2/13/2020 at 9:21 PM, kicksave said:

Still...20 is way older in maturity and experience than the boys at the prom.

Which is what 18 year old girls like about young men out of high school. (High school teacher so I am super familiar with teens! 😉 )

I am another one who sees nothing wrong with a 20 year old family friend taking an 18 year old to her prom. In 3 months Gia would be in college and nobody would think twice about her actually dating a junior in college. 

And what was filmed was not OTT but it sounds like what happened kind of was. I hate the whole tradition of kids going with 30 of their closest friends and all of their parents are there to take 1,034 pictures each. To me it is so staged and phony. In my area we have kids who do that for 8th grade dances! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I’m just wondering...does anyone think there should be an upper limit on the age of the person a high school student takes to the prom?  Should a girl be allowed to take her dad? Should a girl (who is 18) be allowed to take a man she is sleeping with who is as old as her dad?  What about the eighth grade dance?  Would it be ok for a 13 year old girl to take a 16 or 17 year old boy as her date?  Is there any limiting principle?  (I am actually interested.  I’m not being rhetorical).  

I work at a high school. 20 is the age limit mostly because they do not want people who can buy alcohol legally to be there. Also, anyone who does not attend the high school has to be pre-approved and they run criminal record checks.

Edited by lilmarysunshine
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Which is what 18 year old girls like about young men out of high school. (High school teacher so I am super familiar with teens! 😉 )

I am another one who sees nothing wrong with a 20 year old family friend taking an 18 year old to her prom. In 3 months Gia would be in college and nobody would think twice about her actually dating a junior in college. 

And what was filmed was not OTT but it sounds like what happened kind of was. I hate the whole tradition of kids going with 30 of their closest friends and all of their parents are there to take 1,034 pictures each. To me it is so staged and phony. In my area we have kids who do that for 8th grade dances! 

We’re still talking about Frankie effing Jr. going to the prom? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, kicksave said:

We’re still talking about Frankie effing Jr. going to the prom? 

I know...especially since it's a fact that women mature faster than men. It should be a non-issue.

• Love 1