Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

So nice to see these lovely people again. I saw the commercial for the NJ reunion and realized I haven't watched one episode of those nasty, old washed up hags. They are such a sharp contrast to these sweet and kind-hearted folks. #GoBang!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Watching this made me feel so old. I could never keep up with all these wedding festivities/parties/drunken craziness. When Vishal fell off that stage he's lucky he didn't break a  hip! 

I agree with Amrit. A nice, classy, simpler wedding would be my style, too. Anisha is still hysterical. She's my favorite. Bryan is an idiot. 

Glad this show is back. I hope the season isn't consumed with alot of loud, drunken messiness. 

• Love 3

I thought it was fun! I love Amrit’s commentary on everything. Also his mom is so sweet. That moment when she said she wanted the boys to have kids at the same time... aw.

And why wouldn’t Anisha explain that she just moved until she got there! So dramatic!

I get a kick out of the parents, but especially Monica’s dad. He seems like such a sweet character. Unfortunately, I don't think Rish is going to marry Monica.

Also I think Richa kind of enjoys her mom being mad Vishal... I know they've been on-and-off for ten years and they seem to have an almost manic-depressive relationship (they're either insanely happy or full-on fighting/crying). Still, Richa's mom has to just accept that this immature bum is who her daughter has chosen!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sandwoman said:

I thought it was fun!

I did too.

I love Amrit’s commentary on everything.

He's such a wit!

And why wouldn’t Anisha explain that she just moved until she got there! So dramatic!

Someone has to bring the drama, and someone has to critique Brian's fashion sense!

• LOL 4
23 hours ago, Gracie123 said:

I used to like this show but it's become Vanderpump Rules.

Yeah, during the second season the parents were already showing signs of pandering to the camera too much, and now we have this mess.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, sandwoman said:

I get a kick out of the parents, but especially Monica’s dad. He seems like such a sweet character.

I love me some Raj. He's my favorite dad. 

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Brian's mother. I don't know why it took me so long to see it, but she's giving me Lopa vibes, just not as publicly sour. She seems like the type who wants to choose her son's girlfriend. 

The more we get to know Brian, the less I understand how he got a reputation for being a ladies man. He has no game! 

I get how Vishal can rub people the wrong way. He's fun, but he doesn't know when to rein it in. But I had to laugh when Richa told him to knock it off with the drinking and she said, "do you want me to tell your mom?" As if he's 16 and not 35. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sheenieb said:

I get how Vishal can rub people the wrong way. He's fun, but he doesn't know when to rein it in. But I had to laugh when Richa told him to knock it off with the drinking and she said, "do you want me to tell your mom?" As if he's 16 and not 35. 

Yes! They're 35! THIRTY-FIVE! Cut the apron strings, Mamas! These are full ADULTS

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I love me some Raj. He's my favorite dad. 

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Brian's mother. I don't know why it took me so long to see it, but she's giving me Lopa vibes, just not as publicly sour. She seems like the type who wants to choose her son's girlfriend. 

The more we get to know Brian, the less I understand how he got a reputation for being a ladies man. He has no game! 

But isn't that part of the charm of the show. Their culture is one in which the generations are intermingled in a way that isn't true of *regular* Americans.

What is strange to me is that they are still partying at this level in their 30's. I mean by the time I was 35 getting obscenely drunk and waking up with an obscene hangover and then doing it again wasn't something I wanted to do - I had moved on from that kind of lifestyle.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, amarante said:

But isn't that part of the charm of the show. Their culture is one in which the generations are intermingled in a way that isn't true of *regular* Americans.

What is strange to me is that they are still partying at this level in their 30's. I mean by the time I was 35 getting obscenely drunk and waking up with an obscene hangover and then doing it again wasn't something I wanted to do - I had moved on from that kind of lifestyle.

For the most part, they're all unmarried and still living with their parents.  One might say they're in the second decade of their twenties!

I had to laugh at Brian telling his 37 year old woman friend  he had three roommates.  It reminded me of Richie Cunningham telling a fellow college kid his fraternity was Momma Poppa Sistah.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I'm of the same mind--Dharma is probably my least favorite of the aunties. In her eyes Brian can do no wrong but he's very immature for his age. I do not for one second believe he was interested in Avni. I think she signed up to be on camera/a "friend of" this season and this is his storyline. In fact, if his "dating" history is to be believed, he exclusively goes for white and Latina women.

Vishal continued to grate with his immature antics but a little less so. He's another one that needs to grow up. Getting that drunk at your own wedding is not a good look. There's enjoying yourself, and getting so intoxicated that you are endangering not only yourself but others around you.

Anisha seems different this season. She's really cooled off towards the other cast members and super secretive of her relationship, whereas she used to be an open book. I hope she lets her guard down over the course of the season because I find her to be the funniest one in the cast. She had the best line of the night, telling Brian he was the one who should be ashamed in his gaudy magician outfit during their side-by-side talking heads.

This was a strong start to the season--I'm glad we were immediately immersed in the wedding festivities rather than having to wait the whole season and endure through the planning process.

Spoiler

Rish and Monica have apparently broken up, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out on screen.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 11/8/2022 at 3:48 PM, Rahul said:

Anisha seems different this season. She's really cooled off towards the other cast members and super secretive of her relationship, whereas she used to be an open book. I hope she lets her guard down over the course of the season because I find her to be the funniest one in the cast. She had the best line of the night, telling Brian he was the one who should be ashamed in his gaudy magician outfit during their side-by-side talking heads.

Hide contents

Rish and Monica have apparently broken up, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out on screen.

I think Anisha is not that different this year--she had such a big spat with Risha and Vishal last year, and she seemed to be in her own separate social orbit.  But it is extreme that she's dating a secret boyfriend.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2022 at 2:29 PM, amarante said:

None of them have kids yet. Once that happens it will be a whole new ball game. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

None of them have kids yet. Once that happens it will be a whole new ball game. 

I didn’t have kids either in my 30’s but I just had moved on from that kind of manic level of partying and enjoyed other stuff more

• Like 1
On 11/8/2022 at 2:48 PM, Rahul said:

Vishal continued to grate with his immature antics but a little less so. He's another one that needs to grow up. Getting that drunk at your own wedding is not a good look. There's enjoying yourself, and getting so intoxicated that you are endangering not only yourself but others around you.

From the way his fall looked, he might have endangered future mini Vishals and Richas too!

• Love 3

I love the genuine friendship of this group. 

Ugh Brian's mom continues to grate. Brian is NOT a catch and she needs to get over herself.

Ffs Vishal no one is saying you can't drink but 15 shots in less than an hour suggests you have a problem.

I'm not a fan of Anisha but I understand the desire to keep her relationship off screen. I hope she's gotten over her jealousy of Monica and will leave her alone.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Adgirl said:

Ffs Vishal no one is saying you can't drink but 15 shots in less than an hour suggests you have a problem.

Yeah, that was insane. Initially, I saluted his tolerance because I don't know how he was able to wake up on time and function throughout the ceremony, but he kept it together.

Only to find out in the end that he blacked out on his wedding night. I don't blame Richa for being pissed. 

Amrit's speech was great. 

10 hours ago, Adgirl said:

Ugh Brian's mom continues to grate. Brian is NOT a catch and she needs to get over herself.

Seriously. She is not coming across well at all. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

Can we move on from the wedding now? How many more episodes of this do we have to endure? I want to see their everyday lives not a twelve part wedding series. 

Yeah wedding videos are not interesting to me, even when I know the people.

I do wonder how much they spent on the wedding.

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Can we move on from the wedding now? How many more episodes of this do we have to endure? I want to see their everyday lives not a twelve part wedding series. 

From the preview, it looks like they're back to normal life in next week's episode. 

I also wonder how much that wedding cost, and more importantly, who paid for it. I doubt it was Lopa.

• Like 2

If this is anything like some of the other Bravo weddings, the couple paid a portion, and Bravo picked up a significant amount in order to facilitate the wedding occurring in a manner that was best/easiest for filming.

I've noticed that the weddings are all either at large event spaces or places where filming is easier like outdoor venues (no church, synagogue, temple weddings). They usually have a couple hundred participants (so they show as a lot of people on film). And they last for hours (to allow for lots of footage that can be chopped into a storyline).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

If this is anything like some of the other Bravo weddings, the couple paid a portion, and Bravo picked up a significant amount in order to facilitate the wedding occurring in a manner that was best/easiest for filming.

I've noticed that the weddings are all either at large event spaces or places where filming is easier like outdoor venues (no church, synagogue, temple weddings). They usually have a couple hundred participants (so they show as a lot of people on film). And they last for hours (to allow for lots of footage that can be chopped into a storyline).

I don't follow social media of anyone but I think a lot of the celebrities monetize their social media and get discounts or even free stuff in exchange for mentioning their vendors. I am quite certain that almost everyone they used got some form of promotional consideration in exchange for mentions on SM.

I don't quite understand how these families can afford this kind of large and extended wedding. Some of the pre-wedding parties cost as much as a *normal* wedding would. I understand that Indian weddings are an extravagant show in terms of not losing face in the community but it doesn't seem as though these families have the kind of wealth that can afford it. I mean - upper middle class yes but the cost of the kind of wedding depicted would be beyond what most upper middle class people could reasonably afford. So it is certainly a mystery unless all of these people are secretly multi-millionaires who are hiding their wealth.

I don't think that BRAVO pays for parties that are shown which is why on the various franchises the extravagant parties tend to be thrown by those who are really rich - i.e. Heather Dubrow throws extravagant parties whereas Gina doesn't (RHOC). Weddings are a bit different because many of them have had their own separate shows and so I would imagine that the fees paid for the wedding specials cover a lot of the expenses even if they aren't specifically designated as such and of course all of the vendors would be free or significantly reduced in exchange for the promotional consideration. For example, even mass media spotlighted Tre's wedding and listed some of her vendors including the venue itself. I don't know what BRAVO does for something like the Karma wedding which essentially was a two episode "wedding special" and I suspect that it might also have been funded in some way unlike some of the other parties.

Also I am not sure that the weddings or large events are always outside because a lot of filming in the past three years has been done with COVID restrictions so they haven't wanted to do any large events indoors even if people are holding it. Cynthia Bailey's wedding was cut from that season because it was a large event held indoors in violation of the COVID restrictions.

2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Just caught up last night but did I hear right that one of them said they had almost 2,000 people at their wedding?????????????? I can't imagine what that would have cost never mind the logistics etc.

I'm pretty sure they said two hundred. Which is still a lot for a destination wedding. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I think it was one of the other family members who said that about their own wedding not this wedding.

Oh, okay. I missed that. But I do remember them referring to this wedding as well. 

Indian weddings do tend to be huge, over the top affairs. 

4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Just caught up last night but did I hear right that one of them said they had almost 2,000 people at their wedding?????????????? I can't imagine what that would have cost never mind the logistics etc.

That was someone else's mother who had that number - I don't know how many were at the Karma wedding but it didn't look like a huge number. A huge number for a destination wedding but I would imagine that BRAVO at least picked up travel expenses for the cast as they do for all of the trips - and that includes hotels generally.

I can't imagine being tortured by sitting in 99 degree weather in formal clothing to watch a 3 hour wedding ceremony.

The closest I have had to that form of torture was an outdoor graduation ceremony in which I had to sit through ridiculous speeches by graduates but I think that only felt like 3 hours.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It was either Brian's mom or Anisha's mom that said this and yes, it was over 2,000. 

• Love 2

The fathers' advisory panel for Vishal was charming.

I'm enjoying learning more about the wedding customs.

Vishal has a strong constitution, but all that binge drinking will catch up with him. Plus, it was disrespectful to the parents who gave them the wedding.

Payment for the wedding: agree that some of it was sponsored, but I've met a few parents who started saving for their daughters' weddings while the daughters were infants. I was told that it was a typical practice in the community.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

It was Bali who said she had 2000 wedding guests.

Richa and Vishall make good livings. They both probably spent lots of years living rent-free with their parents, and the parents on both sides probably begin saving for these great events from the time their children are born.

That said, Bravo probably did pay for a good portion of the costs.

Brian's mom just tries a little too hard to seem cool, like Lopa tries too hard to be mean and tough. Brian does need to mature, but he's a nice guy and is definitely cute. Hopefully he will age well.

Dying to know who this mystery man in Arizona is. :)

• Love 3