Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I think these families are all dysfunctional. 

What's with all the long distance relationships? Richa and Vishal.

In the case of Richa and Vishal, I think long distance actually makes sense considering Richa barely tolerates him. The relationship is one of convenience so the community doesn't ask questions and they are both free to be with whomever they want or their actual partners. 

15 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Why is it ok for 40 something year old Bali to be divorced twice,  and living back home with her daughter at her parents house?  Isn't that some kind of supreme disgrace upon the Indian culture? Her parents seem to be fine with it. Or is it only a big deal that you marry and have a child before you're 30 years old no matter if it ends in divorce? I'm confused. 

Bali has her own house, separate from her parents.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I appreciated the scene with Nicholas, Amrit, and Amrit's mother (forgot her name). It showed that sometimes we have more similarities than differences. Nicholas's mother also hasn't fully accepted his sexuality, just like Amrit's mother, so referring to him as Amrit's "friend" set off alarms. I liked that Nicholas and Amrit's mother talked and made up. It was a nice moment. 

I was appalled Nicholas approached Lavina Aunty the way he did, demanding to be introduced as the boyfriend and then storming off. It seemed like entitled and culturally insensitive to me. Nicholas is a guest in the Kapai home. He should also understand that making that announcement at Vishal's engagement ceremony could potentially upstage the event with gossip.

Nevertheless, I'm glad they smoothed everything over. Lavina Aunty is still coming to terms with everything but it's clear she loves her son above all else.

4 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

If Vishal would've had a mother-in-law like Amrit's mother, he'd be married by now. 

Vishal is praying for Amrit's mother as a mother-in-law.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Rahul said:

I was appalled Nicholas approached Lavina Aunty the way he did, demanding to be introduced as the boyfriend and then storming off

He did not storm off, the scene ended with them still all sitting next to each other on the couch. And while there are cultural differences and it might not have been the time and place to address it he has a right to his feelings on how he is being presented.

• Love 7

Sweet satan, The Betsy?? I screamed. I worked there in the early 90s, she was the Betsy Ross at the time, w 2 restaurants, A Mano (fine dining) & the Stars & Stripes Cafe (I know). My silly friend that I worked with at the time I called it the Diana Ross hotel and the strip and search café, which made us laugh like two idiots every time he said it. Was owned by a real dick. Anyway, Vishal, it’s not a good look being drunk in front of your fam at a major life event that people traveled to attend. I understand you’re nervous about... whatever you want to say, but still.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 1

I also don't buy that all these adult offspring are living with the parents. C'mon now. Let's see what's really going on with these people and not this fake for TV life.

Culturally, that isn't uncommon, so that didn't ring false for me. My family's culture is similar in that most young adults, regardless of age, live at home until they get married. Seems as if it's mostly a US thing where kids are expected to leave home at 18 and never return unless something catastrophic happens. 

Unrelated, but let me give it up one last time time to Raj when talking about the Roka ceremony. "No one really pays attention because it's so long." Monica shushing her dad and telling him that he can't say that. "But it is long!" Forever happy that Raj graced my tv. 

I would've liked to learn more about Anisha, though. Her storyline felt incomplete. We know that she's trying to get her business of the ground (hope it's doing well), but we never found out why her relationship didn't work out. I guess it's because her ex wasn't a part of the show, so she didn't want to get into it.

• Love 8

I now doubt there will be another season of this if they filmed in 2018.  They couldn't possibly start filming again anytime soon and maybe there is not enough interest or storyline.  Sometimes Bravo does these one-off shows. 

I started out thinking the show was more organic, but it ends up seeming more phony.  All the kids had been out of the house and found contrived reasons to come back for the show. 

I think it was fun to watch for a one-off.

I come baring gossip. According to some insiders in the community, Monica was very disingenuous about parts of her life on camera. Apparently she had a secret boyfriend (Rish Karam, owner of Moksha restaurant) whom she did not want to reveal on the show as it would destroy her carefully crafted virginal image. That is why Anisha and Bali were needling Monica to be real. 

1433564288_rishkaram.jpeg.00127d285607331c36fd758420d44938.jpeg

The whole Brian/Monica relationship drama seems to have been crafted for a storyline.

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

I now doubt there will be another season of this if they filmed in 2018.  They couldn't possibly start filming again anytime soon and maybe there is not enough interest or storyline.  Sometimes Bravo does these one-off shows. 

I think it's a toss-up for renewal. Ratings have been on the uptick in recent weeks and apparently Andy Cohen said on Sirius XM today he thinks the show will be picked up for another season, though he no longer serves on the Bravo executive board. It's also easier to resume production on a show with one season under its belt than start prep work for an entirely new series that has never filmed before.

Edited by Rahul
  • Useful 6
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, Rahul said:

That is why Anisha and Bali were needling Monica to be real. 

Eh he didn’t want to be like Anisha’s siblings and no one needled her about that. They were barely discussed or shown even in pictures. Her mother briefly mentioned them in an aside last night and than quickly acted like Anisha was an only child that her grandfather’s wish to see her wed before he died. 
If they knew about her relationship that makes them constantly bringing up how cute they are and they should get married even more annoying not to mention implying that Monica was going to hookup with Brian.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

If they knew about her relationship that makes them constantly bringing up how cute they are and they should get married even more annoying not to mention implying that Monica was going to hookup with Brian.

I'm not sure whether Anisha and Bali knew of Monica's clandestine relationship but they knew that she was being inauthentic. Looking back at the series as a whole through this lens, I can now see that Monica was cultivating a persona that she wanted to present for the show. In this episode alone, she tries and cuts off her father when he exposes her materialism and love of nice things. When he expresses how long and boring watching the pooja at the engagement party was, Monica replies "You aren't supposed to say that!" That was a very telling moment for me.

Also, speaking of an Indian engagement--there is no garland exchange in either the Sindhi or Punjabi custom--just an exchange of rings. I feel like they added this embellishment for the cameras (it's part of the wedding rituals though). Also, Vishal seemingly knows nothing about Indian culture--choreographed dances by friends of the bride and groom to be have become common in recent times but are in no way traditional or even customary.

Edited by Rahul
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Rahul said:

I'm not sure whether Anisha and Bali knew of Monica's clandestine relationship but they knew that she was being inauthentic. Looking back at the series as a whole through this lens, I can now see that Monica was cultivating a persona that she wanted to present for the show. In this episode alone, she tries and cuts off her father when he exposes her materialism and love of nice things. When he expresses how long and boring watching the pooja at the engagement party was, Monica replies "You aren't supposed to say that!" That was a very telling moment for me.

They all are cultivating an image. To me Anisha was even faker and more surface than Monica her main storyline was reacting to Vishal and Monica not anything all that personal. Even her “breakdown” at the store there were no tears which is why she covered her face. As for Monica telling her dad he wasn’t supposed to say that engagement parties are boring is pretty standard social niceties stuff and said with a laugh.

Also, Anisha’s whole lying to her parents about not having half a million dollars seemed fake as fuck. She said her dad reviewed all of her books and was her main advisor he is going to know if she managed to raise $500k with basically zero assets.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

They all are cultivating an image. To me Anisha was even faker and more surface than Monica her main storyline was reacting to Vishal and Monica not anything all that personal. Even her “breakdown” at the store there were no tears which is why she covered her face. As for Monica telling her dad he wasn’t supposed to say that engagement parties are boring is pretty standard social niceties stuff and said with a laugh.

I see things very differently. Anisha has always been 100% honest and open about her life and struggles. The moment which you are referencing at the boutique when her visage changed and flashed with pain before she put her head into her hands read very real to me. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Rahul said:

I see things very differently. Anisha has always been 100% honest and open about her life and struggles. The moment which you are referencing at the boutique when her visage changed and flashed with pain before she put her head into her hands read very real to me. 

You see pain I saw her scrunching up her face pretending to act and based on her clothing lines IG it was basically a made up story where she posts an ugly dress or two every year.

And as I mentioned above her dad would have to be a painfully bad business advisor if he thought she had half a million pledged.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

Sweet satan, The Betsy?? I screamed. I worked there in the early 90s, she was the Betsy Ross at the time, w 2 restaurants, A Mano (fine dining) & the Stars & Stripes Cafe (I know). My silly friend that I worked with at the time I called it the Diana Ross hotel and the strip and search café, which made us laugh like two idiots every time he said it. Was owned by a real dick. Anyway, Vishal, it’s not a good look being drunk in front of your fam at a major life event that people traveled to attend. I understand you’re nervous about... whatever you want to say, but still.

It's also bad for his chrohns disease to drink that much.  Glad he's ok after having Covid.  Looked like he is on humira and that lowers your immune system.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Rahul said:

I can now see that Monica was cultivating a persona that she wanted to present for the show

Oh yeah for sure!  She wants to be seen as a good girl, and she was very upset when anyone said anything that made her look bad.  

In addition to her cultivated mage, and now we know about the boyfriend, I understand why she was so upset that people called her out for having Brian in her room.

18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Eh he didn’t want to be like Anisha’s siblings and no one needled her about that. They were barely discussed or shown even in pictures. Her mother briefly mentioned them in an aside last night and than quickly acted like Anisha was an only child that her grandfather’s wish to see her wed before he died. 

I don't see having siblings and not showing them as analogous to having a boyfriend and not revealing that.  The siblings were mentioned, but like most reality shows, they were not shown.  Having a boyfriend while your "storyline" is that you have a will-they-or-won't-they relationship with someone is a whole big fat lie!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

aving a boyfriend while your "storyline" is that you have a will-they-or-won't-they relationship with someone is a whole big fat lie!

But Monica never made that her storyline she stared she wasn’t interested in dating Brian, period. It was the others and Brian who kept bringing it up even though she was consistent in saying over and over again she didn’t think of him that way.

Not to mention we have no nothing about the boyfriend. There isn’t a date in the above photo or pics of them together so who knows if it’s true or the status of their relationship at the time of filming. Even that photo doesn’t say they were dating in 2018.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

If Monica was cultivating a good-girl image, it may have been more than just about the show.  In the Indian community there is such a double standard that when a girl dates a guy, she’s not open about it to aunties/uncles and even parents sometimes (for 2 years my parents didn’t even know I was living with a guy).  God forbid you date a guy and it doesn’t end up in marriage 😮 that might be why Anisha’s parents keep urging her to go back to her ex- it’s known that she slept with him, omg who else will want her if she’s not a virgin???

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Vishal's hairpiece really annoys me, but I can't stop staring. He looks like he's sporting a dead skunk atop his head. Who does he think he's fooling at this point? The color and texture so different from his own short grey hair at the sideburns and in the back. 

Vishal never disappoints with the tongue-in-cheek allusions. This week he jumps into Amrit's arms giggling and is carried over the threshold into his hotel suite like a new bride, all while discussing sex. He also mentioned how he was lucky enough to find a woman like Richa who is not only beautiful on the outside and inside but naive enough to marry him. 

I teared up when Anisha began to cry after her mom explained her urgency in wanting Anisha to have children. I really did feel all her pain and disappointment in that moment, and I just wanted to reach through my screen and give her a hug.

Apparently Amrit is Sindhi like Vishal, Bali and Monica, making them the majority ethnicity amongst the principle cast.

I was disappointed there were no epilogue title cards at the end of the episode with an update on each cast member, as is the norm for many Bravo shows. I wonder why they chose not to do this--especially since it has been over a year and a half since this show was filmed. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Family Karma survives for another season. More aunties please! I also wouldn't mind a spinoff featuring the aunties.

• Love 10
On 4/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, pasdetrois said:

I think that Vishal and Richa have a long-standing, chummy arrangement and understanding. Given the pressure to marry in their culture, and perhaps their own desires to have kids, they've decided a friendship vs. a romantic partnership is the way to go.

Rajesh Kookrapali?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

S02.E01: Welcome Back Karma

Anisha starts to secure her future by freezing her eggs; Vishal reveals a shocking secret; this tight-knit community is put to the test when an argument breaks out at Brian's 29th birthday bash.

Airdate: 06.02.2021

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

The fashions are so beautiful and so much fun, and I love the colors and sparkle.  I think having the families, and especially the Aunties, such a big part of the show is the best part.  I love getting a peek into all the family dynamics.

The family interactions remind me very much of my ethnic extendeded family, so a lot of that rings true.   Someone upthread mention how they are able to be in a group with multiple conversations going on at the same time with everyone talking over each other, yet they all hear what everyone else is saying and can jump into all the conversation threads....that is very familiar!

I traveled to India some years ago when I worked for an Indian company.  I learned that there are two kinds of people in the world:  those who have seen the Taj Mahal and those who have not. 😄

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

I’m so upset there isn’t an ongoing discussion! Did anyone watch the new episode?

I love this show; the way they all interact with one another and their respective families is great. I love Bali, she cracks me up. She’s only a few years older than me but she seems older...and younger. Love her.

Vishaal continues to be an idiot, Anisha seems to have calmed down some. I’m not feeling the new kid, Dillon. Very affected & I don’t think that he was a necessary addition (but Vishaal can take a few seats. Someone is trying too hard to prove he’s “macho”). Brian and Monica (and Monica), not much to say but his mom cracks me up.

• Love 7

Did Anisha get a nose job?  At first I thought for sure yes, but then when they showed flashbacks I realized it was always sort of Michael Jackson-esque.  Maybe it's because her overall face seems thinner?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Did Anisha get a nose job?  At first I thought for sure yes, but then when they showed flashbacks I realized it was always sort of Michael Jackson-esque.  Maybe it's because her overall face seems thinner?

S1 was one of my favorite Bravo shows ever.

As a show about family and friends as extended family, I hope it doesn't devolve into a Shah's situation where friendships begin and end with the camera.

Most of the charm is watching these people with their parents and families!

Anyway, I thought the same about Anisha.  I'm going to have to go back and rewatch. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 4/30/2020 at 3:21 PM, Rahul said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed Family Karma survives for another season. More aunties please! I also wouldn't mind a spinoff featuring the aunties.

Brian's mom and Anisha's mom are hysterical together.  More aunties for me too - but also the grandparents!

The most sweet moment for me was when Amrit and Nicholas moved out and the mother said something like there goes a piece of my heart, and the dad tells her to come inside ... there is a bigger piece of her heart inside, i.e. meaning him.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 18

I love this show. I was really tired when I watched it and kept getting people confused.

I love that these people are real, as are their relationships. Also, learning about Indian culture is wonderful.

I wish the RH Franchise hadn’t become of fake and scripted. I really enjoy this and Mexican Dynasties (which I assumed was cancelled).

• Love 9

S02.E02: Not So Happy Hour

With her egg retrieval drawing near, Anisha ponders what’s next for her dating life - or lack thereof. Meanwhile, Brian tries to prove himself to Monica 2.0 with an old fashioned Guyanese coconut ritual. As the drama between Vishal and the Patel brothers continues, Auntie Happy Hour turns into an explosive cocktail mixer.

Airdate: 06.09.2021

• Love 1
On 6/3/2021 at 9:39 AM, TexasGal said:

Something's different about her face. Maybe some lip fillers, also? She still has that overgrown hairline on the sides of her head, I'm surprised she didn't have that lasered off. Like the Kardashians did.  

I don't get why they always paint Vishal to be such a loser. He's actually a very successful commercial real estate sales broker IRL.  I wish they would show that side of him. He can do better than that bitch and her bitch mother. 

I like Monica's Drake lookalike boyfriend. Don't care for the two new brothers. 

The parents and grands still rule!!

• Love 10

I agree with everyone on Anisha’s nose, I totally noticed it in one of the confessionals.  Maybe it’s contouring, but it sure looked slim.

Not a fan of the new little bro, Dillon.  Seems like he is trying EXTRA hard to be a star (ahem, BrooKs MarKs).  

Poor Dharma just cooking away for an army and then half the party leaves.  Invite me over, please!

Can someone remind me, is Monica’s dad out? I honestly can’t remember from last season and I don’t have time to rewatch at the moment!

LOVE the parents and grands.  I especially love when we get back story on them, it’s very interesting.

• Love 8

So Dillon, who I am not loving btw, can say anything he wants and when confronted say 'just joking, thought you were man enough to handle it' and then cry to his brother 'he was mean to me!' and act the victim?  That kind of behavior pisses me off and you don't get a pass from me because you think you are fabulous and funny because you're gay.  I am so over the affected too fabulous persona I could scream. Be a fucking person and grow up. That goes double for the two women who each think the other  is 'fake'.

I like these people better when they are being normal and not playing drama or funny for the cameras. The aunties and parents and grandparents I can take, but the younger generation is leaving me cold.

I do like this show but if there's more of the Dillon drama I may have to check out. Ditto for the two drama shitstirrers whose names I can't remember. And may we never hear the phrase 'prick tease' about anyone ever again.

• Love 5

Yeah hearing an Auntie repeatedly say ‘prick tease’ was kinda traumatic.  If it was one of my Aunties I’d be like 😦

I love that the people behind the scenes of the show are Indian, you could hear the producer call Anisha’s grandfather ‘Tata’.  Hopefully this respect for the older generation will keep the families on the show and it won’t be all about the ‘kids’ playing...  beer Pong?  Do people in their 30s still do that crap?

• Love 6
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Something's different about her face. Maybe some lip fillers, also? She still has that overgrown hairline on the sides of her head, I'm surprised she didn't have that lasered off. Like the Kardashians did.  

I don't get why they always paint Vishal to be such a loser. He's actually a very successful commercial real estate sales broker IRL.  I wish they would show that side of him. He can do better than that bitch and her bitch mother. 

I like Monica's Drake lookalike boyfriend. Don't care for the two new brothers. 

The parents and grands still rule!!

Is he? I always thought he worked for his mom and got his title due to nepotism.

I think Vishal is riddled with insecurity. Hearing a little more about his back story with his asshole brother started to put some things into perspective. He was dominated by his brother, his mother is certainly a strong personality, he lives at home & works for mom (what was with him reporting back to her what he drank at the party?), then ends up with Richa. I don’t think he knows what to do if his life isn’t run/ruled by someone who over powers him.

I never felt “love” and warmth between Vishal and Richa. In fact, I thought she was always a bitch to him. Her mom- whatever. She didn’t bother me as much bc she’s obviously going to be judgmental of a man who is less successful than her daughter. I also wanted to get more of her story. But, Richa- no. She called it “masculine energy” last season, I call it condescending bitch.

• Love 12

Oh, AND, if my partner’s response to my request for couple’s therapy was “I know what’s wrong with me, go find out what’s wrong with you” or whatever the hell it was she said to Vishal, I’d kick their ass to the curb so fast.

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, DeeplyShallow said:

Is he? I always thought he worked for his mom and got his title due to nepotism.

It may be his mom's company, not sure that matters. You don't just get that title from nepotism, that's not how it works in Real Estate.  You are required to take the course, pass the exam, and then become licensed with the state. He has put some of his sold listings on his IG and they are impressive. Good for him. 

• Love 9

The show has one foot over the shark. They are all pandering to the cameras now.

Monica is especially transparent, practically manhandling her boyfriend into position as the cameras rolled. I'd prefer if the older generation remained themselves, instead of struggling to be quippy and clever. "prick tease"

I question whether Vishal was as drunk as he pretended to be.

• Love 4
On 6/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, Jextella said:

The most sweet moment for me was when Amrit and Nicholas moved out and the mother said something like there goes a piece of my heart, and the dad tells her to come inside ... there is a bigger piece of her heart inside, i.e. meaning him.

I loved this too.  

On 6/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

So Dillon, who I am not loving btw, can say anything he wants and when confronted say 'just joking, thought you were man enough to handle it' and then cry to his brother 'he was mean to me!' and act the victim?  That kind of behavior pisses me off and you don't get a pass from me because you think you are fabulous and funny because you're gay.

I don’t think Vishal should’ve threatened violence but after he explained it as a sibling would say “I’m going to kick your ass,” I get it.  I don’t know what Dillon hoped to gain from even making those statements and I was happy to see Amrit come to Vishal’s defense.  I did laugh when they were arguing about the Kinsey scale vs. Richter scale - Nerd fight!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9