Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

On 4/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, pasdetrois said:

I think that Vishal and Richa have a long-standing, chummy arrangement and understanding. Given the pressure to marry in their culture, and perhaps their own desires to have kids, they've decided a friendship vs. a romantic partnership is the way to go.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then I agree. Vishal and Richa seem to have a very odd dynamic which is likely the result of a lavender relationship. Vishal seemed completely unfazed when his fiancé got on the back of a Harley and drove off with some random bikers she met just seconds ago at a gas station.

Without fail, the producer's allude to Vishal having a sexual orientation that is distinctly not straight at least three times each episode either by highlighting his behavior, suspect things he has said in talking heads or flashing incriminating photos and videos from the past. This week we saw Vishal exude far more enthusiasm for hitting the gay clubs in Key West than even Amrit (who openly admitted to wanted to look around). We were also treated to Vishal's metaphor about sampling many different dicks, flashbacks of him wearing Richa's bra at a nightclub and a moment where he grabbed Amrit's ass when they were out of the sight of others. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I'm not sure how to ask this question without seeming rude but I will try. All the Indian people I have met have all been very dark skinned. The people on this show are very light skinned and many of them have non Indian features. Is it lighting? Do some of the cast come from a mixed heritage? I apologize if this is rude but I'm curious.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

I'm not sure how to ask this question without seeming rude but I will try. All the Indian people I have met have all been very dark skinned. The people on this show are very light skinned and many of them have non Indian features. Is it lighting? Do some of the cast come from a mixed heritage? I apologize if this is rude but I'm curious.

Indians come in many different shades. If you interested there are a ton of articles and information out there about colorism and it’s basis In colonialism in India 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Indians come in many different shades. If you interested there are a ton of articles and information out there about colorism and it’s basis In colonialism in India 

I did some reading and learned a lot I was guilty of thinking all Indians are the same color unless they were from mixed marriages. Do you think this show is guilty of colorist considering all the cast is light skinned?

56 minutes ago, retired watcher said:

Do you think this show is guilty of colorist considering all the cast is light skinned?

They cast this show the same way they did Mexican Dynasties...light.  Colorism has always been alive and well in the entertainment industry (and everywhere else).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/6/2020 at 9:00 AM, lasandi said:

I really, really love this show.  The only reality show I watch that makes me smile. Brian and his family are my favorites thus far but I really do like them all.  What a pleasure!

Yes! Anisha's grandfather (he's so funny!!) & mother along with Brian's mom are my faves. 

• Love 6

Whew Anisha was a miserable drunk in tonight's episode. 

Also, I wish she'd stand up straight. 

I'd love to hear more about her background with relationships and more about that person she said she dated for 10 years. 

Twitter is gossiping that she may also be gay. Who knows! But whatever it takes to make her less of a miserable sad sack, i hope she finds it 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, retired watcher said:

What exactly do you mean by non-Indian features?  India is not just a country, it's a vast subcontinent of over one billion people. Phenotypes run the gamut from north to south. 

Both my parents are Indian and are much fairer in complexion than anyone featured on this series. My mother has green eyes. Her sister has light green eyes. Blue eyes also run in our family.

None of this cast would be considered fair by Indian standards. Here are some examples of light skinned Indians:

Neil_Nitin_Mukesh_at_the_Volkswagen_even

Neil Nitin Mukesh

1_16a0814f10a.796588_1330088194_16a0814f

Shiney Ahuja

KarismaKapoor14.jpg

Karisma Kapoor

EMYMSglUUAAcr1G.jpg

Tamannaah Bhatia

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, GussieK said:

But Brian’s hairline is also bizarre. 

Yes, very. None as weird as Vishal's though. I was wondering why Vishal's hair is styled so badly in certain scenes but after tonight's episode I am convinced he wears a hair piece and that is the reason. The toupe is especially noticeable when he sits down to talk to Richa at Amrit's launch party at RED and at the temple. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Most of this episode felt like filler leftover from the pilot which doesn’t bode well for a show with only 8 episodes. So was this filmed in 2019 or 2018? Some of these shows end up sitting on the shelves for awhile but given lack of content I wonder if it was rushed.

Anisha seemed to be the only one getting worked up in the conversation with Monica.

• Love 3

Colorism is very real and complex.  And I know the question was just innocently pertaining to features, but it’s a lot deeper than that.  In my experience, from a non-Anglo perspective, a lot depends on how history, culture, and bias are applied.  It’s complex because it can be both be both internal and external. 

Anywho...Amrit’s boss is just gross and condescending.  He seems like he should be selling Amway. 

Love all the comments about Anisha.  She can seem like a sourpuss but then I do like her honesty and lack of filter.  I also see how Monica is annoying and lovely and assertive.  It could be an opportunity for them to become really good friends.

It would be nice to see more of the parents.  I agree, I want to know their stories.  I love Monica’s dad!

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

It’s also a regional thing.  South Indians like myself tend to be more brown with different features and black hair, and I think this cast is from the more northern states.

I’ve been wanting to comment on this, but didn’t want to come off as an asshole! As a geographer, I know how big India is; this cast has facial features different from many of my Indian friends, so I was wondering if it was a regional thing & if so, which region. TY!

I LOVE Amrit’s parents. Flat out love them. On the other hand, Lopa (Richa‘s mama)? Damn. The perma-stank look on her face AND holding on to butt hurt for SIX YEARS?!? I do love that  pink lipstick she had on, both on her & for me please 😉 

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 7

Although it was played for laughs, I found Anisha's segment with her dad going over the business numbers, along with her talking head after, to be sad. She feels so pressured to live up to her parent's approval that she lied about having half the money to fully launch her clothing line.

Anisha's mother clearly doesn't recognize the damage she's doing by hyping up Monica all the time. It's as if Monica is the daughter she wished she had. 

I didn't blame Amrit for telling Anisha and Bali to take their conversation with Monica elsewhere because it's a work function. Of course, Anisha ignored him, but he was right.

Sigh, Brian, did you really try to airplane feed a grown-ass woman? At least he knew it was stupid seconds after he did it, but for a supposed playboy, in that scene at least, he had no game whatsoever. 

Monica's daddy, though? "It's great having Monica here. She's my best friend." I just love that man. 

• Like 1
  • Love 14
10 hours ago, Rahul said:

What exactly do you mean by non-Indian features?  India is not just a country, it's a vast subcontinent of over one billion people. Phenotypes run the gamut from north to south. 

Both my parents are Indian and are much fairer in complexion than anyone featured on this series. My mother has green eyes. Her sister has light green eyes. Blue eyes also run in our family.

None of this cast would be considered fair by Indian standards. Here are some examples of light skinned Indians:

Neil_Nitin_Mukesh_at_the_Volkswagen_even

Neil Nitin Mukesh

1_16a0814f10a.796588_1330088194_16a0814f

Shiney Ahuja

KarismaKapoor14.jpg

Karisma Kapoor

EMYMSglUUAAcr1G.jpg

Tamannaah Bhatia

This has been a learning experience for me. I was stuck on stereotyping Indians. Thanks to everyone for helping me learn and widen my world. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

just noticed Anisha’s hairline- wtf??  I’ve never seen anything like it!

11 hours ago, GussieK said:

But Brian’s hairline is also bizarre

Yeah, I posted about Anisha's hairline upthread. It's so weird. All it takes is some laser treatments to remove that hair back off the forehead. It would make a world of differrence. The Kardashians did it and I'm sure many other hairy people have done it.  I bet when Anisha sees this season footage she will be back next season (if the show is picked up) with a new improved hairline!

Speaking of Anisha, I really like her TH's. She's actually kind of funny. It's just when she interacts with actual people that she turns in to a hateful, jealous, bitter shrew! 

Aside from the awesome parents I don't really like any of these people except maybe Monica and Amrit.  

Brian the playboy has no game what so ever. How embarrassing for him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Brian the playboy has no game what so ever. How embarrassing for him.

Pretty boys rarely have to rely on game, the guys with real serious game are the average Joes.  Like Avis, they try harder.

Until last night, I was always impressed with Brian's sense of style.  That brown turtleneck did him no favors!

It seemed like Amrit's boss/mentor was auditioning for his own show!

28 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Speaking of Anisha, I really like her TH's. She's actually kind of funny.

She is, I quite enjoy her.

29 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

It's just when she interacts with actual people that she turns in to a hateful, jealous, bitter shrew! 

Every Bravo show needs one.

19 hours ago, Rahul said:

Vishal seemed completely unfazed when his fiancé got on the back of a Harley

Vishnal didn't seem to be unfazed to me.

And while I enjoyed the conversation between the two prospective mothers-in-law at the end of the show, what I really enjoyed was the amount of food on the table.  These girls know how to eat!  Take that, RHoBH!

• Love 5

I love Bali and O'Malley's relationship, they are cute together and it's nice that her whole family loves him. I lol'd at the scene in a previous episode where he pleaded with her daughter to clean her room: "I'm on your side, but just please pick up a little!" or something like that. 

20 hours ago, Rahul said:

Vishal seemed completely unfazed when his fiancé got on the back of a Harley and drove off with some random bikers she met just seconds ago at a gas station.

28 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Vishnal didn't seem to be unfazed to me.

I agree that Vishal was not unfazed. He said something like "There goes my fiance" and the look in his eyes said that he was not happy.

Vishal and Richa - I don't get what's going on there, even more than I don't get what's going on with Brian and Monica. Is Richa ever nice to Vishal? At this point I think he deserves better. No one should be told constantly by their significant other that they have to "man up", ugh. 

The conversation between Lopa and Reshma was odd. Reshma didn't really address the situation with Lopa feeling like she was completely ignored at that family wedding. I like Reshma, and Lopa is less than endearing, but I wonder if Reshma and some of her family might be quite a bit more judgemental than they are allowing us to see.

9 hours ago, For Cereals said:

Anywho...Amrit’s boss is just gross and condescending.  He seems like he should be selling Amway. 

Yeah he was definitely one of those pushy ABC (Always Be Closing) types. I get that it was a work function, but that salesman personality is never appealing.

14 hours ago, ciaoformeow said:

Also, I wish she'd stand up straight. 

Agree, hunching drives me crazy. Shoulders back and hold your head up girl!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Anisha's mother clearly doesn't recognize the damage she's doing by hyping up Monica all the time. It's as if Monica is the daughter she wished she had. 

But that’s mostly Anisha’s projection. Her mom doesn’t bring her up all the time, we have seen her respond to Anisha bringing Monica up. Anisha’s fixation with Monica is weird given that she has a sister and a brother. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, retired watcher said:

This has been a learning experience for me. I was stuck on stereotyping Indians. Thanks to everyone for helping me learn and widen my world. 

I didn’t think you were stereotyping - you were asking others so that you could gain a better understanding of another country, cultures and the people within it. You wanted to expand your knowledge which Is always a good thing.

I really like this show in large part because I get to learn about another culture and the people are real and relatable (unlike the dreck that the RH franchise has become).

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

21 hours ago, OnceSane said:

They cast this show the same way they did Mexican Dynasties...light.  Colorism has always been alive and well in the entertainment industry (and everywhere else).

It makes me sad that in 2020 colorism is still so alive and well in the entertainment industry and many other places.
 I am a very white, middle aged woman, and this makes me very sad. (I did grow up in an ethnically diverse Albuquerque, though)
I remember learning about colorism when Homicide: Life on the Street was on. I have learned so much more about it from my friends who grew up in South Georgia.

• Love 7
On 4/13/2020 at 9:09 AM, Mondrianyone said:

I've been seeing him as a cartoon drawing that somehow jumped into real life. 

When I look at Vishal's features separately, he should be very handsome. The parts just don't work out to the whole face.  It confuses me. 

He has a strong nose, good cheekbones and angular lines, a slamming body, gorgeous hair and his eyes.  I think he has large, liquid pools of luciousness when it comes to his eyes.

But it just doesn't work all together.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, dosodog said:

When I look at Vishal's features separately, he should be very handsome. The parts just don't work out to the whole face.  It confuses me. 

He has a strong nose, good cheekbones and angular lines, a slamming body, gorgeous hair and his eyes.  I think he has large, liquid pools of luciousness when it comes to his eyes.

But it just doesn't work all together.

Cher from Clueless::  "It's like a painting, see? From far away, it's OK, but up close, it's a big old mess."  Is that what you mean?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
On 4/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, Gothish520 said:

Yeah [Amrit's boss] was definitely one of those pushy ABC (Always Be Closing) types. I get that it was a work function, but that salesman personality is never appealing.

"This is my protégé."

Once again reality TV replicates Seinfeld.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

I love Amrit's dog and I like the show. I agree with the comments upthread, Vishal reminds me of a cartoon character.

His features are so... exaggerated. Toned down, the same features make his mother stunning.

• Love 5

Sunday’s episode is the finale???!? This was way too short.  I hope it gets picked up for another season (but it probably won’t - this cast conducts themselves with far more class than the average ‘Bravolebrities’)

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Sunday’s episode is the finale???!? This was way too short.  I hope it gets picked up for another season (but it probably won’t - this cast conducts themselves with far more class than the average ‘Bravolebrities’)

I thought it just started ...

• Love 1

S01.E08: An Engagement to Remember

Vishal and Richa's engagement party has finally arrived, and it's up to Vishal to bring the fractured families together one more time. As everyone gathers, relationships are tested when Amrit's mom introduces his boyfriend as only a "friend," and Anisha must confront the realities of her personal life, or lack thereof.

Airdate 04.26.2020

Vishal, I’m sorry he is so gross.  I love all the people on here except Vishal and the attorney.  Vishal will be sneaking around with rent boys in the future.  I probably will stop watching this show because Vishal is so hard to even look at. 

Dear Bravo,

If you are lurking here: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Bring this show back!  And more focused on the Auntie Army.

And Amirt's dog. 

Sincerely, 

Doso

• Love 14

I. Love. Amrit's parents. They are A-dorable & so loving & supportive. I'm glad Amrit's boyfriend, uh, what'shisname apologized to Mom. I didn't like the way he spoke to her. I was getting my mouth (well, fingers) all ready for a good read--- bout how he look like he ain't slept in a hundred years--- ahem, & then he sincerely apologized. So, now I'll hold my tongue. 😌 

Vishal is a failed Ac-Tor. I don't trust a word that comes out of his mouth. His charm escapes me. I think he is an opportunist.

• Love 5

I finally got around to checking out the casts IG and learned that they filmed this in Nov/Dec of 2018 and Vishal who is now fine tested positive for Covid-19 at the end of March.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Watched, re-watched, binge watched and still love it. At first I liked Anishka, but now both she and Bali, can go suck it. Neither of them is interested in what the object of their accusations has to say, they cling to their version, even to the extent of not even letting the other person (usually Vishal or Monica) say much of anything. I'm sorry Anishka is having so much trouble finding her career and personal niches, but that's not Monica's fault. Bali seems much too interested in the camera and being a part of the younger crowd, she's a 40-some parent, not a 20 to 30-some single. To me, she seems very disingenuous. I like Monica, but she's often annoying - especially when she insists everyone is poking at her about things that are none of their business (I agree) YET continues to engage with them in those conversations.  I like Vishal - he's part sweet, part court jester, often says just the wrong thing, but I see it as cluelessness rather than Bali/Anishka tactics. I agree with others about his appearance - I think his features, although individually good, are out of proportion to the size and shape of his face. Brian is an idiot, Richa is just about the most likeable of the younger generation, Amrit needs to stop being a waffling player and make a decision about his partner (sorry, forgot his name). I love most of the older generation - and am amazed at their communication style - everybody talking at the same time and yet they all seem to have heard and listened to each other. Amazing.

My only complaint is the season was much too short - especially when they give so  much air time to a show like Shahs, which has completely degenerated into nothing but a low-life slut-fest.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Their relationship continues to be long distance with Vishal still living in Miami with his parents and Richa in Memphis, Tennessee. "I guess the next step is we should probably buy a house together and live together before getting married," Vishal said, adding that they're not sure in which city they would live. "She will come down maybe one week out of the month, and I'll try taking a weekend trip to Memphis once a month. And keep the long-distance relationship."

That’s hilarious- like he’s gonna chip in for the house at all.  Maybe his mommy will, but Vishal is definitely a scrub - no real job except whatever menial work he does for his mom in exchange for room and board and all living expenses.  But Richa seems ok with it so...

I really do enjoy this show and hope it continues!  I didn’t realize it filmed over a year ago - I wonder how they’re all doing. (Not just Vishal, who is obviously my least favorite but still fun to watch)

• Love 6

I decided to watch this show, having no expectations except to learn more about Indian culture and family relations.  I was so pleasantly surprised and delighted and now I can’t wait for, hopefully, another season.  

• Love 6

Those two are unequally yoked. They need to call off their engagement and stop wasting each other's time. Richa does not respect Vishal, and if by some miracle they do marry, they're going to end up divorced just like Lopa and her husband. Lopa didn't respect her husband either. They had a $40,000 engagement ceremony only for their relationship to be business as usual still? That makes no sense. 

It was beautiful event. So, at least there's that.

And what does Richa do? Lopa said that Richa writes Vishal's checks because he works for her, but isn't Vishal in real estate? Was Richa's job ever mentioned? In the linked interview, Vishal said that Richa took over her mother's business, so were the scenes with Vishal at work in his office a front? 

I appreciated the scene with Nicholas, Amrit, and Amrit's mother (forgot her name). It showed that sometimes we have more similarities than differences. Nicholas's mother also hasn't fully accepted his sexuality, just like Amrit's mother, so referring to him as Amrit's "friend" set off alarms. I liked that Nicholas and Amrit's mother talked and made up. It was a nice moment. 

If Vishal would've had a mother-in-law like Amrit's mother, he'd be married by now. 

I really enjoyed this show and I hope it gets picked up for another season. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

And what does Richa do? Lopa said that Richa writes Vishal's checks because he works for her, but isn't Vishal in real estate? Was Richa's job ever mentioned? In the linked interview, Vishal said that Richa took over her mother's business, so were the scenes with Vishal at work in his office a front? 

She said Reshma, Vishal’s mother, writes his checks because he works for her. Richa used to be a practicing attorney and now works for NY Life in insurance and financial planning. 

• Useful 5
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She said Reshma, Vishal’s mother, writes his checks because he works for her. Richa used to be a practicing attorney and now works for NY Life in insurance and financial planning. 

Ah, thank you! I thought she said Richa. 

Lopa is still terrible. The only way Richa will marry is if Lopa picks her husband. 

• Love 1

I think these families are all dysfunctional. 

What's with all the long distance relationships? Richa and Vishal. Amrit and Nicholas. Bali and her mismatched boyfriend. I'm not sure all of that is real or if it's just presented that way for the show because how convenient for Amrit to just happen to be offered a position in Miami where his family lives to start up a law office there exactly when it's so convenient for this show to start taping. I also don't buy that all these adult offspring are living with the parents. C'mon now. Let's see what's really going on with these people and not this fake for TV life. 

Why is it ok for 40 something year old Bali to be divorced twice,  and living back home with her daughter at her parents house?  Isn't that some kind of supreme disgrace upon the Indian culture? Her parents seem to be fine with it. Or is it only a big deal that you marry and have a child before you're 30 years old no matter if it ends in divorce? I'm confused. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

What's with all the long distance relationships? Richa and Vishal. Amrit and Nicholas.

In the case of Amrit and Nicholas the long distance was just for the show, he lives in Chicago.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

In the case of Amrit and Nicholas the long distance was just for the show, he lives in Chicago.

Like I said, FAKE. I would have enjoyed the show if it depicted their real lives. Then again, maybe their real lives are too boring for TV. 

• Love 3