Type keyword(s) to search

Family Karma - General Discussion

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

On 2/24/2023 at 7:07 AM, Ms.Lulu said:

Thanks, I have updated it. 

###

I understand Nicholas' frustration. 

Amrit's mother, whether on purpose or by accident, shared last year her lack of enthusiasm that Amrit wasn't engaged to a woman. She was concerned about how the community would judge her.

She is expressing the same thing when she says that the grandmother or the community would ask why the parents weren't celebrated during the wedding weekend.

Her son is marrying a white, gay male. And the partner her son chose grew up in a religious, midwestern family where Nicholas wasn't accepted for who he is.

It was important for them to resolve this before the marriage--all four of them. So I was good with this conversation.

Nicholas needs to resolve issues with himself and his parent, not the Kapais. She made a statement last year that she has moved on from, and in turn has accepted her gay son and his fiancé with open arms, throwing them a lavish wedding. She has on camera, shown nothing but love and acceptance for them both. Nicholas was point blank wrong for berating her for a feeling she expressed a long time ago, but has since evolved from. 

Maybe it’s just me but I took the comment about the “not a real wedding” because some of the traditions were missing, not because it was 2 men. The missing event was a big part of an Indian wedding centered around the parents. She lived her life waiting for her turn, and she didn’t get it. I am 100% certain she would have felt that way if Amrit married a white woman who didn’t want any part of that event either. It’s like every Catholic dad cringing at his daughters wedding ceremony on a beach somewhere instead of a church, it just doesn’t seem “real”. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong and momma Kapai is a secret homophobe and has us all fooled. 

I also don’t like how Nicholas parents are being handled with such kid gloves. Let’s play make believe put this wedding on NJ Housewives and Juicy Joe refuses to be filmed at his lesbian daughter’s wedding. I am betting all I have that Andy Cohen doesn’t respectfully put the cameras down when he walks in. These people don’t deserve the respect and adoration they receive meanwhile Amrits poor mother is taking a lashing by her asshole SIL. 

Edited by hottesthw
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The comment Amrit's mom made about not being as excited about the proposal was made in the car to her husband. I know they were being recorded, but still. It's not like she went around telling everyone that. I think she just wanted to discuss her feelings with her husband and should have done it when the mics were off. She still has appeared to be very warm and accepting of Nicholas. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, hottesthw said:

Nicholas needs to resolve issues with himself and his parent, not the Kapais. She made a statement last year that she has moved on from, and in turn has accepted her gay son and his fiancé with open arms, throwing them a lavish wedding. She has on camera, shown nothing but love and acceptance for them both. Nicholas was point blank wrong for berating her for a feeling she expressed a long time ago, but has since evolved from. 

Maybe it’s just me but I took the comment about the “not a real wedding” because some of the traditions were missing, not because it was 2 men. The missing event was a big part of an Indian wedding centered around the parents. She lived her life waiting for her turn, and she didn’t get it. I am 100% certain she would have felt that way if Amrit married a white woman who didn’t want any part of that event either. It’s like every Catholic dad cringing at his daughters wedding ceremony on a beach somewhere instead of a church, it just doesn’t seem “real”. Who knows, maybe I’m wrong and momma Kapai is a secret homophobe and has us all fooled. 

I also don’t like how Nicholas parents are being handled with such kid gloves. Let’s play make believe put this wedding on NJ Housewives and Juicy Joe refuses to be filmed at his lesbian daughter’s wedding. I am betting all I have that Andy Cohen doesn’t respectfully put the cameras down when he walks in. These people don’t deserve the respect and adoration they receive meanwhile Amrits poor mother is taking a lashing by her asshole SIL. 

Nicholas' parents are not part of the cast, and they are not paid like Joe Giudice. They only attended the wedding. Anybody who is not part of the crew and doesn't want to film, doesn't get filmed, or appear on shows. This is the norm on all reality shows. Even bystanders in crowd scenes/public scenes are asked for their written permission to be filmed. If they don't give it, they are not filmed, or their faces are covered.

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 5
On 2/7/2023 at 6:05 PM, bichonblitz said:

I have to laugh when I think of Amrit and Nicholas wanting a destination wedding in ATLANTA when they live in Miami and can have a wedding in many beautiful places around the city. Does every wedding have to be a destination even if it's a shithole like Atlanta? 

Why in heck would Nick not agree to this tradition? Has he taken the time to understand why it's important to Amrit's family? I don't believe he's been thinking that far or maybe he's so stubborn to get his own way he doesn't want to hear another point of view.  

How could Nicholas agree to the ghari pooja? This is a religious ceremony performed by a priest, where the parents are supposed to participate. It is normally held at the bride's, and the groom's houses. His parents are Christian (and devout, as well).

The parents of Amrit and Nicholas met at the hotel before the wedding anyway. And a lot of his relatives participated to the ceremonies, not only his aunt (and were shown). His parents were having fun, and danced with the crowd. 

Edited by ZettaK
  • Like 6

Beautiful wedding! So many events! I am now nervous for all the pressure on them to have kids! (A lot of that pressure from themselves too of course) I really hope it all works out. But what is it with these people not signing their marriage certificates?! 

I really like O'Malley and Bali together! I hope they make it work! 

Also I could barely watch the tension with the Aunties. So so awkwarddddd.

Here's them on WWHL:

Edited by sandwoman
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Maybe with all the partying they do it's harder than it would be with a traditional Christian wedding. 😃

Maybeee. But as someone who had a Western-style wedding (not Christian though), we had a coordinator/wedding planner who put this on the agenda! Like that was part of their job! 3PM - Ceremony. 4PM - Sign Marriage Certificate.

Maybe it's a reality show thing. Tom and Katie on Vanderpump Rules had some problem where they had never signed the certificate or mailed it in or something. If so, Bravo, help these people get legally married!

Edited by sandwoman
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, sandwoman said:

Maybeee. But as someone who had a Western-style wedding (not Christian though), we had a coordinator/wedding planner who put this on the agenda! Like that was part of their job 

Oh, I know. Our certificate was signed by all parties before the minister left. 

Vishal's mom is my effing hero. The way she shaded Brian's mom was *chef's kiss* perfect. Fuck that camera hog. 

How is Bali giving anyone advice when her life is a hot mess? 

Amrit's mom was so beautiful at the wedding.

Amrit's vows were so lovely -- I wept like a boob.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

It was a nice wedding, I’m glad Nicholas got his shit together and quit acting like an entitled jerk. I’m still not a big fan of his. 
I hope the aunties don’t start fighting. It will make the show more like Real Housewives and we have enough of those.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Adgirl said:

How is Bali giving anyone advice when her life is a hot mess? 

I think it's all producer-driven, at least the drama over the move to KY.

I noticed she said she was a successful single mother who lost her house. That seems revisionist - her child's father provided the home and child support, and Bali dabbled in various careers. I'm sure her parents also helped her financially. In earlier seasons she talked about being a floral sales exec, and then we heard her boyfriend say he is in floral sales. In other words, she worked for him. Send Bali, dragging her desperate pink monstrosity of a dress, to KY and let's hear no more about her.

When Brian walked into one of the parties with his brother, he asked "do you see anything?" He was referring to women to chase. Ugh.

Nicholas' horse was terrified, poor thing.

As usual, the clothes were stunning. I have to freeze the screen to take them all in.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

In earlier seasons she talked about being a floral sales exec, and then we heard her boyfriend say he is in floral sales. In other words, she worked for him. Send Bali, dragging her desperate pink monstrosity of a dress, to KY and let's hear no more about her.

I don't think this is the case. I believe Bali's family is in floral sales. There was a scene earlier in the season where Bali was trying to get her mom's attention while the mother was working to ask about a dress she was taking to the wedding. Bali was chastising her mom for selling rainbow flowers/balloons to someone and said that they were tacky. She commented on the fact that her mother was in floral sales and that she always called her clients something like "dearest" or "sweetie". I think it was the family business, Bali was employed in it, and then has also worked elsewhere in the industry.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I don't recall what episode covered this, but I had gotten the impression that this was Amrit's mom's only chance to participate in a Ghari Pooja (sorry about any spelling error there) and was something she had pretty much looked forward to for a very long time. But then, when the actual ceremony was starting, they showed Amrit's brother Rohit coming down the aisle - so Amrit's not an only child after all (about which I was apparently also mistaken). Which, to me, would mean there would have been at least two possibilities for her to have enjoyed that ceremony - depending, of course on whether or not Rohit (or any other siblings there may be) chose to marry and/or have a traditional Indian wedding.

I had also gotten the impression that Nicholas's parents would only hang around for the actual ceremony - but was glad to learn that they had participated in more of the celebration, and apparently enjoyed themselves. I did like the tone Amrit's remarks to them, grateful for their presence and accepting of their wishes. I don't recall seeing any blurred our faces, so Bravo seems to have done a good job of respecting their privacy.

Hopefully Bali will be out of the picture.

As much as I dislike Anisha, I'm glad she and her husband were able to keep their wedding off camera without having a lot of criticism dumped on them for that choice. I did, however, love Amrit and Vishal on WWHL having some fun with her original reasons for keeping him a secret.

Absolutely loved the grooms using Amrit's late grandmother's shawl to bind them for the seven circles part of the ceremony.

They either should have had a better handler for Nicholas's horse, or found a horse that could tolerate that much noise and activity.

• Like 4

I totally respect Nicholas's parents request not to be filmed. Why put yourself through the aftermath and commentary.  I was glad to hear they were active participants off camera since that should be what matters to their son.

• Like 5

I watched the show from the beginning. I love looking at the clothes, the food, etc. I liked both weddings. The cast seems to be a little more "aware/on" than in the first season, but this is common in reality shows. 

I think Anisha was jealous of Monica because she had a nice job, is attractive, and a favorite among the Indian community. She even had a good looking Indian bf from a well off family, who was perfect on paper (we now know he was not). That's why they fought during the last reunion. But in the meantime, Anisha moved in with a bf who she eventually married, promoted her business on the show, and realized that Monica's life, at least concerning the bf was not great. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It was confirmed on the WWHL episode that served as the de facto reunion that Monica and Rish are no more. No further deets were given.

Yes, they broke up. Not recently.

• Applause 1