Type keyword(s) to search

Landscape Artist Of The Year - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow, I never bothered to look into the wild card slots, but you can read the rules and regulations here. Among the many things in there:

• wild cards must pay for their own travel to/from the locations and provide their own materials (in contrast, non-wild card artists selected to compete are given £50 for travel costs)
  • if chosen as a semi-finalist or finalist, the show will pay for hotel and travel costs (which must be pre-approved beforehand so no splashing out at fancy hotels) and a £25 daily subsistence - unless you are from the Falkland Islands in which case they will pay for nothing
  • the wild cards have four hours to complete their paintings (but they are allotted six hours total to be there)
  • there is no guarantee that the judges will even look at your painting
Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I recently binged all available episodes of this. What a fantastic program. Do you know when/if there is going to be a 2020 series?

It will be televised sometime in the Autumn.

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wow, I never bothered to look into the wild card slots, but you can read the rules and regulations here. Among the many things in there:

• wild cards must pay for their own travel to/from the locations and provide their own materials (in contrast, non-wild card artists selected to compete are given £50 for travel costs)
  • if chosen as a semi-finalist or finalist, the show will pay for hotel and travel costs (which must be pre-approved beforehand so no splashing out at fancy hotels) and a £25 daily subsistence - unless you are from the Falkland Islands in which case they will pay for nothing
  • the wild cards have four hours to complete their paintings (but they are allotted six hours total to be there)
  • there is no guarantee that the judges will even look at your painting

Does it say what their problem with the Falkland Islands is?

• Love 1
On 2/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, TVbitch said:

Thanks. Do you know why their got rid of Frank Skinner as the host? I found him wittier and more knowledgeable than the new guy. And he had an adorable rapport with Tai. 

I don't think they got rid of him, I think he quit, but I don't know why. I think Stephen makes a good replacement.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think they got rid of him, I think he quit, but I don't know why. I think Stephen makes a good replacement

I could only find one item about it that said the entire staff wrote a letter saying how difficult he was to work with so they canned him. But have no idea if that was real or just gossip. If he retired or went on to other projects you would think they would have wished him well or something instead of him just disappearing without mention. The new guy is okay, but not as sharp or witty as Frank. 

5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The new guy is okay, but not as sharp or witty as Frank. 

I don't know. During an episode of Portrait Artist, Stephen was discussing the background, which was a wall of clocks & was inspired by an artist, with one of the painters & they started talking about how the artist was known to be man mad. Without blinking an eye Stephen looked at the wall of clocks & said something like "do you think they misunderstood when she said she want a wall of clocks?" & I nearly died I was laughing so hard.

• LOL 1

LANDSCAPE ARTIST OF THE YEAR series 9 will begin airing Wednesday January 10, 2024.

Hosted solo by Stephen Mangan, the series resumes its quest to unearth the next star of landscape painting, following Dame Joan Bakewell's departure from Portrait Artist of the Year.  [The winner] will secure a £10,000 commission from the Science Museum, creating an artwork inspired by Orkney that highlights the islands' pioneering role in sustainable energy.

• Love 1

Review: Episode 1 of Landscape Artist of the Year Series 9 (2024)

S09E01 Location: Dunnottar Castle, Aberdeenshire Scotland

I missed  having the intro to the submission work where the judges explain what they liked or didn't like about the work.  The submission is now located on an easel in the artist's pod.

Of the three artists that made the short list, I liked Kristina Chen and Jen Maidment paintings in that order.  Since I prefer the realistic style, Henry McAlpine's futuristic style came in a distant third although his heat painting was more understandable than his submission.

• Like 1

In the first heat, I actually liked some of the wild cards more that the pod painters. I think they put the winner through because she had that interesting technique and not because she did very well on the day. 

I didn't even notice they skipped the assessment of the submission. Not a good change! Don't mind only one host, hope they keep it that way.   

I thought it was a weak round, but I did like the painting by the lady in the red dress, until she ruined it trying to make it look tarnished (or whatever she said) by putting gray streaks all over it. 

Was kind of shocked by the wild card they put through. That very dark, affected sky would never work for the commission. There were some other nice choices, but the judges seemed enamored of the novelty.

Monica Popham wins Landscape Artist of the Year 2024

I still prefer Kristina Chan's finals work but understand why the judges chose Monica Popham as the winner.  I wonder if Kristina being a mixed media artist factored into the decision since her style may limit the size of the work.  I didn't think Denise Fisk had a chance, especially when she said she preferred organic subject matter in one of the early talking heads.

• Like 1

I haven't been a big fan of hers, but thought Monica won it on the day. I enjoyed the sketches she was making during her trip and the way she spoke about what she wanted the commissioned work to be. Her submission was good, and I was fully prepared to love the final piece ...but then I didn't like it. It was too much cloud and swath of land with bits of things on it. I thought maybe the big, sparse landscape was so different from her crowded, hyper-detailed style that she will need some time to evolve.

• Like 1