Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: It May Not Be Forever

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

To air on February 12, 2020:

Dr. Manning and Dr. Marcel disagree over an abusive husband. Dr. Halstead struggles with ethics and his decision to work at the safe injection site. Dr. Charles and Elsa reveal a misdiagnosis that may change a family’s life.

Natalie and her sanctimonious ways strike again. Dr. Marcel had the perfect plan, just let the abuser die naturally so his wife could be free of him. Anyone with two working brain cells could have figured that out. No she had to get her cheerleader Ms. Goodwin involved and now an abuse survivor is off to jail. I truly hope Dr. Marcel is no longer interested in Natalie after this fiasco. She, April and Ethan can go find jobs at that other Chicago hospital.

That poor kid was so scared of loosing his dad that he became catatonic. Elsa was right to bypass Dr. Lanik and go to Dr. Charles. Dr. Lanik can also exit stage left. So Will has decided to become the President and CEO of Build A Woman Workshop. At least she’s less annoying than his ex. Let’s see how long this lasts.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Dr. Marcel had the perfect plan, just let the abuser die naturally so his wife could be free of him. Anyone with two working brain cells could have figured that out.

And Nataloon fucks up once again. Marcel left her with her jaw hanging when he spelled it out to her.  What a fuknidiot.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, preeya said:

And Nataloon fucks up once again. Marcel left her with her jaw hanging when he spelled it out to her.  What a fuknidiot.

Yes! Marcel was awesome the way he shut that sanctimonious idiot down.

Awesome idea, Will. Go have sex with the drug addict. We all know how well that will work out. 🙄

I like Elsa. 

• Love 7

I'm about through with the show this season.   

Chexton - there is zero chemistry between them (even though Choi is ripped) and their storyline is just dragging and uninteresting, imo.   She's starting that passive-aggressive behavior again, "you only touch me when you're giving me an injection".  Oh puh-leeze, give it a rest.   Clearly, she's still thinking of Marcel.  I truly hope Marcel's moved on.   After all, it was just a kiss--not as if they slept together.   

Natalie - Why do they let her character make wrong decisions without having or thinking through all the facts.  Marcel was absolutely correct--now you have an abuse victim going to jail.

I felt Dr. Charlies and Elsa somewhat destroyed the family.  Guess after making Elsa seem incompetent, emotional, etc., in other storylines, they're trying to redeem her?   Sorry, I'm, not a fan.   I'd rather have Dr. Reece back.

Halstead - WHY a relationship with this heroin addict?  Does he feel he has to be a savior?  You could see this coming a mile away.😒

Agree with another poster--Chexton, Manstead, Lanik - yep, all can go.   They've destroyed Choi's character from what it was; same with Manning and Halstead.  Lanik I didn't care for when they replaced the other ER Chief (guy from the "Ocean's" movies).   Showrunners should have stuck with the original cast and we need better writers this season.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I would have liked to have seen proof that her husband abused her, other than just the woman's word for it and the bruises on her lower back.   What if the woman had a lover and she had the lover beat the crap out of her and they wanted to off the husband for insurance money?   Sure, given the story line of this episode none of that happened, but it could have happened.   There should have been more of an investigation than just talking to the woman.   They could have done all that they could  to protect her until all of the facts were known.

How many more times is the hospital going to leave patients alone just to have something bad happen when no one is paying attention?   The "abused" woman ended up killing her husband.  That wouldn't have happened if someone was in the room monitoring the situation.

Two horny people having sex in the Emergency Room.   I am no prude, but I still find that gross.   I thought it would be an allergic reaction to a latex condom, not an allergic reaction to her lover's swimmers.

The boy in a catatonic state was a sad situation all the way around.  At least the young boy can get some help and hopefully the family can get back together.

Then there wouldn't have been a spotlight on Natalie to "shine"--although once again, she jumped to conclusions and didn't truly think about the best solution for all, just trying to "prove" she's right.

Agree on the allergic reaction--is that even plausible?  I, too, thought, OK, the condom but guess I forgot they were trying to get pregnant.

THIS ^^.  Didn't think that was a realistic situation but guess anything is possible.  Hoped it work out for the family.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, cathmed said:

Agree on the allergic reaction--is that even plausible?  I, too, thought, OK, the condom but guess I forgot they were trying to get pregnant.

THIS ^^.  Didn't think that was a realistic situation but guess anything is possible.  Hoped it work out for the family.

From google: "Sperm allergies can cause rash-like symptoms, including redness, itching, burning or swelling on your genitals or any other part of the skin that's come into contact with semen."

Apparently it can happen, although the show seems to have greatly exaggerated the condition OR she was bathing in his ejaculate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Brookside said:

The sperm thing must have been on another primetime medical soap because I called it immediately, and all my medical "knowledge" comes from TV.

I called it too so it must have been on another medical show! 🧐

I’d rather have a root canal than see Reese ever come back! 

• Love 4

I've seen the semen allergy before on another show, but not a medical one.  On "The League," Paul Scheer's character is with Jayma Mays and they find out she's terribly allergic to his semen.  Their friends refer to it as "widow-making death jizz," or something like that.  They plan to work around it, except Paul uses a sort-of handkerchief (well, it's an embroidered pee bib, but that's a totally different story) when he jerks off, and Jayma doesn't know that, so when she uses it to wipe her eyes later bc she's crying, she has to go to the hospital bc of the death jizz.

That couple was so ugh to me.  We get it, you love each other, you can't keep your hands off each other, but you are not in your own controlled space, you are there so you can be helped by professionals, and you insist on the intense PDAs and sex.  Yes, semen from sexual activity is just a small part of allllll the bodily fluids that hospitals have to clean up after, but that's also a choice.  People in hospitals are not usually choosing to bleed and vomit and pee all over.  This couple chose to have unprotected sex at the hospital when the professionals whose help they're seeking could walk in at any time and be subjected to that.  And then the husband gets all indignant and mortified when Choi asks, "did you finish?"  Bc he totally draws the line there, and geez, Choi, have some decency like the rest of us, why don't you.

The last few minutes were just awful.  I am positive that the writer's room has a whiteboard that says at the top, in big, capital, underlined letters, "how can we make the staff even more unprofessional?"  Just like that, Dr. Asher says she'll turn herself in bc she's just so overcome by Halstead caring about her???  And Halstead believes she will do as she says, even after her previous behavior???  She makes eyes at Halstead and invites her back home???  Halstead smiles like this is a normal, desirable hookup with no red flags and complications???  What???  The producers cut Connor's character for more of this BS???

• Love 4
21 hours ago, preeya said:

I loved how speechless she was when he effortlessly shut her down. I love how he can call her and April out without breaking a sweat.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would have liked to have seen proof that her husband abused her, other than just the woman's word for it and the bruises on her lower back.   What if the woman had a lover and she had the lover beat the crap out of her and they wanted to off the husband for insurance money?   Sure, given the story line of this episode none of that happened, but it could have happened.   There should have been more of an investigation than just talking to the woman.   They could have done all that they could  to protect her until all of the facts were known.

How many more times is the hospital going to leave patients alone just to have something bad happen when no one is paying attention?   The "abused" woman ended up killing her husband.  That wouldn't have happened if someone was in the room monitoring the situation.

Two horny people having sex in the Emergency Room.   I am no prude, but I still find that gross.   I thought it would be an allergic reaction to a latex condom, not an allergic reaction to her lover's swimmers.

The boy in a catatonic state was a sad situation all the way around.  At least the young boy can get some help and hopefully the family can get back together.

Her behavior and her bruises implied that she was being abused. Plus she accepted Dr. Marcel’s escape plan without a second thought. I’m such a germaphobe that I would be disgusted by anyone having sex in the ER.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Guildford said:

What's the odds of junkie doc being found dead in wetstead's bed with a needle hanging out her arm at some point?

I was thinking more along the lines of him becoming addicted while dating her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yep, classic Nataloon. The woman can't be trusted to make her husband's medical decisions, but can be trusted alone with his unconscious body. Brilliant. Whether Marcel planned for the husband to die or simply believed it was unethical for him to interfere with the wife's decision, I think she could have 'lived with' his way a little easier.

Speaking of hypocrisy, I can't fathom how all this didn't open Halstead's eyes to the potential problems of the injection site in the first place. He only found out that Jessy Schram was a surgeon after coincidentally running into her in her professional capacity. Does he really think none of the other patients there could possibly have roles involving someone else's lives in their hands?

And now he's taking it to another level by getting involved with her when she hasn't even begun her recovery.

• Love 3
On 2/13/2020 at 8:23 AM, cathmed said:

I felt Dr. Charlies and Elsa somewhat destroyed the family. 

How did they destroy that family?  By finding out what was actually wrong with a 10 year old boy, giving his family hope for his recovery, and a guide to what went wrong in the first place?  Letting them know that when the father-figure's life was threatened by criminals, the boy wasn't oblivious, and perhaps some re-evaluation was in order?  I think they saved that family.  They definitely saved the boy.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

How did they destroy that family?  By finding out what was actually wrong with a 10 year old boy, giving his family hope for his recovery, and a guide to what went wrong in the first place?  Letting them know that when the father-figure's life was threatened by criminals, the boy wasn't oblivious, and perhaps some re-evaluation was in order?  I think they saved that family.  They definitely saved the boy.

Exactly! Dr. Charles and Elsa did save that family.

• Love 3

I don't think he left his family.  I think he had to step out to consider how to re-prioritize his job.  Ask for another assignment,for example.  No indication he was leaving them.  And he was there when the boy started to wake up, so it's clear it's not the person who was the problem, just the fear.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I don't think he left his family.  I think he had to step out to consider how to re-prioritize his job.  Ask for another assignment,for example.  No indication he was leaving them.  And he was there when the boy started to wake up, so it's clear it's not the person who was the problem, just the fear.

Dr. Charles, IIRC, suggested staying away from the child until the boy could get some therapy then be reintroduced into his life with proper counseling support.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, Brookside said:

The sperm thing must have been on another primetime medical soap because I called it immediately, and all my medical "knowledge" comes from TV.

It was a storyline on Private Practice as well!