Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: There Are No Strangers Here

Tommy works to keep her officers in line when one of their own turns up dead, and some want to take extreme measures to find the perpetrator. Also, Mayor Buddy Gray and Deputy Mayor Doug Dudik are concerned about what damaging information Arturo Lopez, a recently arrested acquaintance of Buddy’s, may have on him.

How did I miss that the mayor is named Buddy Gray?  Has there ever been a mayor named Buddy?  Is he pretending to be Tommy's Buddy, but their relationship is really in a gray area?  So many questions.

Original air date 2020.02.13

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

How did I miss that the mayor is named Buddy Gray?  Has there ever been a mayor named Buddy?  Is he pretending to be Tommy's Buddy, but their relationship is really in a gray area?  So many questions.

Original air date 2020.02.13

Being from the Chicago area, I would interpret an on-the-nose name like Buddy Gray to mean he’s on the take, but that he does it in such a way that he keeps his hands clean. Or maybe his favors just don’t quite cross the line. Or he’s just friends with those who are on the take. 
But sometimes a name is just a name. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2020 at 3:45 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Has there ever been a mayor named Buddy? 

Providence Rhode Island

Buddy Cianci, spent 4 years in federal prison for racketeering. Then got out and ran again.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

If Tommy was totally estranged from her daughter (in the pilot she said the daughter had asked her not to call), it sure is crazy that they had her move in without the two of them having apparently ANY conversation whatsoever about what that would mean.

I still like the show, though, and the granddaughter is super adorable.

• Love 5

Is Edie Falco’s blue eye color being digitally enhanced post-production? Or is she wearing tinted contacts for the role? The bright blue is distracting, and I don’t recall that from the last show I saw her in, but maybe she wore brown-tinted lenses for that role. 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is Edie Falco’s blue eye color being digitally enhanced post-production? Or is she wearing tinted contacts for the role? The bright blue is distracting, and I don’t recall that from the last show I saw her in, but maybe she wore brown-tinted lenses for that role. 

She seems to have really blue eyes in all her photos. 

Edie-Falco-007.jpg

Edited by MMEButterfly
  • Useful 1

Thought the episode was well done.. Spoke to the toll being a cop.. Especially in a place like L.A can take... How the culture can become toxic and stop someone from getting help... No real bad guys..  It was good how she made the former chief help out.. It was pragmatic.. But also a sound political move. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

3 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

She seems to have really blue eyes in all her photos. 

Edie-Falco-007.jpg

Maybe it’s my TV. In this^ picture they look natural, whereas on my TV they are more like the color of the turquoise blue on her shirt in that picture. 

• Love 1

The conversations between the communications director and the mayor were... troubling. She's been previously shown to be very savvy. But she fell for his charm offensive and now she's got to face the fact that she leaked info to him which it looks like he may have used to encourage a hit. They both have a combination of plausible deniability and mutually assured destruction, but that was a mistake she will have to live with, either way.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Pretty disjointed episode. They're trying to establish too many characters. Tommy's character is going to be the cop with feet of clay who always saves the day.

I think it looks like they're going to generously hand out some big meaty plot points to other characters--in this episode, they set up Adelaide Clemens for an arc.  (I didn't like her high little babydoll voice in Rectify, but it was certainly better suited to that character than this hip urban power professional.  Blerg.)

13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The conversations between the communications director and the mayor were... troubling. She's been previously shown to be very savvy. But she fell for his charm offensive and now she's got to face the fact that she leaked info to him which it looks like he may have used to encourage a hit. They both have a combination of plausible deniability and mutually assured destruction, but that was a mistake she will have to live with, either way.

Okay, good, thanks.  I assumed she'd spilled some important beans but I missed it and I'm glad you confirmed.  I posted on the last episode that Tommy would be surrounded by a million opportunities for betrayal and now one of her closest associates is compromised. 

In addition, I guess Mayor Buddy is just too big a role for him to be a good guy--but I really liked him last week.  : )

• Love 3
On 2/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it’s my TV. In this^ picture they look natural, whereas on my TV they are more like the color of the turquoise blue on her shirt in that picture. 

I just watched episode 3 on my phone and her eyes looked more normal.  I probably adjusted my TV colors a bit too high to compensate for its age. A few months back some internal dust in the TV sparked an arc and created a slightly startling puff of smoke, heh. 

• Love 1

Gave it 2 episodes and it's being deleted forever. Just can't connect with any of the actors/characters. I loved Edie Falco in the Sopranos and Nurse Jackie but she doesn't seem to fit here. Not very likable characters, eh. I'm done.