Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

Portrait Artist Of The Year

Artists are getting their time in the spotlight with "Portrait Artist of the Year." An esteemed panel of judges travel across Europe in search of the brightest star in the art world.

Each episode features a regional competition and contestants are challenged to produce a portrait of one of three famous sitters. The judges select who moves onto the semifinal. When three are remaining, the finalists will have their work displayed in the world-famous National Portrait Gallery in London and the winner will receive a $10,000 commission to become a permanent part of the British Library.

Such famous sitters that are featured are Sir Ian McKellen, Sophie Turner, Sophie Dahl, Maisie Williams, Julian Fellowes, Alan Cumming, among so many more.

• Useful 1

I'm watching too! **raises hand**. I enjoy this show, but I have to admit I like Landscape Artist of the Year better. One thing both shows have taught me is that I apparently know nothing about art. The phrase "are you kidding? that's the winner?" has come out of my mouth many, many times.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm watching too! **raises hand**. I enjoy this show, but I have to admit I like Landscape Artist of the Year better. One thing both shows have taught me is that I apparently know nothing about art. The phrase "are you kidding? that's the winner?" has come out of my mouth many, many times.

Yay, I'm glad that I'm not the only one watching! I've been watching both shows and apparently my taste in portraits veers towards realism because it always confuses me when one artist paints a totally lifelike portrait and doesn't even make it into the top 3 while someone doing weird colors or effects does.

Since you're into the landscape show too, I'll start a separate thread for that show!

• Like 1

WHAT?!?  Is there a new season of Portrait Artist of the Year?  I have every episode saved.  My favorite thing!

burble burble burble burble

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, GaT said:

I actually approved of the winner!

Same here. She did a great job of capturing Russell Tovey.

I also loved the guy who said that he'd been doing four hour portraits to prepare for the show. That's the kind of preparation I totally approve of!

• Like 1

I thought the winner was too gimmicky, I liked the artist with all the color, but she didn't even make the short list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I thought the winner was too gimmicky, I liked the artist with all the color, but she didn't even make the short list.

I agree. The double portrait thing isn't that impressive to begin with but seeing it multiple times makes it even less so.

Does anyone else dislike the artists who only draw from their cellphone or tablet? I feel it is disrespectful to the sitter who is holding still for four hours (!) and they never look at them after they take their photo. Zooming in and copying a still image is not the same as drawing a portrait of a live person. It’s been a pet peeve of mine since I started watching the show. 

• Like 2