Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Harvester Ants

• Start Topic

Nicholas has a very weird week! Genevieve promised Matilda she wouldn’t make a scene, but she ends up in the Principal’s office. Nicholas stands-off with another parent. Matilda demands answers but Nicholas struggles to give her any.

Airdate: February 13, 2020

Nicholas so rocked in his scene in the principal's office! I was so proud of him.

Then he had to go and ruin it with his weird throwing-fish-in-the-romantic-bathtub behavior. I cannot figure out this relationship or what we're supposed to make of it.

This show is raising some seriously interesting, thought provoking questions about consent and intoxication and being on the spectrum. I liked that there were no easy answers to any of it, and that Genevieve didn't get why it wasn't just her choice, and that maybe it is. I loved that Nicholas just had to say 'I don't know' to some of her questions.

Was that a McPoyle as Zane's dad?

• Love 4

I was horrified that Nicholas didn't ask Matilda how she felt and what happened, and just acted on Genevieve's interpretation.

I thought the misery during the vacation was supposed to provoke questions about consent, as well. I forget his name, but N's boyfriend was literally crawling behind the furniture to get some space, and N was literally pinning him to the ground while he said no.

I loved how hard he was trying, and how honest he was being with M, though, when they did talk. Even if he didn't know, he was owning up to it. I really like Matilda and I felt bad about how everyone she can usually count on was freaking out and not listening to her. It has to be tough to navigate when even the people who believe in you most are not really respecting you as an equal.

• Love 5
On 2/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, possibilities said:

I thought the misery during the vacation was supposed to provoke questions about consent, as well. I forget his name, but N's boyfriend was literally crawling behind the furniture to get some space, and N was literally pinning him to the ground while he said no.

I definitely saw there being so parallels there. How even in his confusion/gray areas he was pretty confident about the importance of things like consent. But, then in his own life couldn't recognize that he was completely ignoring his boyfriend's no and requests for space. It was deeply uncomfortable to watch, but I think that it was meant to be.

I think one of the things this show does pretty well so far is wading into those murky areas and being messy and uncomfortable. 

• Love 4